ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th June 2019, 11:49 AM   #3521
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
NASA is launching a Space-X tonight, 11:30 EST. You can watch it here:

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive
Space-X is launching a Falcon Heavy which includes payloads for the USAF, NASA, NOAA, the Planetary Society, and others.

It isn't a NASA launch. NASA is covering the launch because they have a payload on-board.

-- Roger

Last edited by jadebox; 24th June 2019 at 11:53 AM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 12:20 PM   #3522
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And the mission is planned to relight the Merlin Vacuum engine several times. Four separate burns, IIRC. In a vacuum!
Old 24th June 2019, 12:30 PM   #3523
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And the mission is planned to relight the Merlin Vacuum engine several times. Four separate burns, IIRC. In a vacuum!
Merlin Vacuum engine.

You've been played! LOL!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 02:34 PM   #3524
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Weenie, weedy and weaky, if I recall correctly.

Dave
Wrong. It is the absentee father, the bastard son and the holy rapist.

ETA: Schism!!!!!

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 06:08 PM   #3525
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
Space-X is launching a Falcon Heavy which includes payloads for the USAF, NASA, NOAA, the Planetary Society, and others.
And the ashes from the remains of 152 people.

https://www.newsweek.com/falcon-heav...-space-1445552
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 08:51 PM   #3526
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It's been delayed for about three hours. Obviously GumDisease is correct.
Old 24th June 2019, 08:56 PM   #3527
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's been delayed for about three hours. Obviously GumDisease is correct.
Ouch!
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 10:15 PM   #3528
steenkh
Philosopher

And the ashes from the remains of 152 people.
It is an entirely new option that we have these days, to become space junk when we die, and endanger the lives of astronauts and workings of satellites.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:22 AM   #3529
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
It is an entirely new option that we have these days, to become space junk when we die, and endanger the lives of astronauts and workings of satellites.

I’m a big fan of the “don’t embalm me, toss me in a cheap pine box and call it a day” process. Composting is an attractive option now that it’s becoming available.
Old Yesterday, 04:44 AM   #3530
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
"Celestis missions are carefully designed to ensure that no orbital debris or adverse environmental effects occur in space or on planet Earth. Celestis flight capsules are attached permanently to a rocket stage or spacecraft that is already destined to fly into space. We are a “secondary payload.” Celestis capsules are never “released” into the space environment and cannot cause orbital or other debris. Earth orbital missions are designed to re-enter the planet’s atmosphere with the rocket stage or spacecraft and will be consumed entirely upon re-entry, blazing like a shooting star in final tribute."

-- https://www.celestis.com/about/legal...cal-framework/
Old Yesterday, 05:07 AM   #3531
halleyscomet
Philosopher

"Celestis missions are carefully designed to ensure that no orbital debris or adverse environmental effects occur in space or on planet Earth. Celestis flight capsules are attached permanently to a rocket stage or spacecraft that is already destined to fly into space. We are a “secondary payload.” Celestis capsules are never “released” into the space environment and cannot cause orbital or other debris. Earth orbital missions are designed to re-enter the planet’s atmosphere with the rocket stage or spacecraft and will be consumed entirely upon re-entry, blazing like a shooting star in final tribute."

So you're not shot into orbit but become a briefly blazing falling star.

In the daytime.

Meaning your brief bright light is swallowed up by sunlight, going unnoticed and unobserved by anyone. It makes for a nihilistic metaphor for human life itself, doesn't it?

Last edited by halleyscomet; Yesterday at 05:08 AM.
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM   #3532
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I’m a big fan of the “don’t embalm me, toss me in a cheap pine box and call it a day” process. Composting is an attractive option now that it’s becoming available.
Why waste the pine? Dig a hole and dump you in and 10,000 years from now a archaeologist will note your non-ceremonial burial but label it as religious anyway.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM   #3533
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

When the Union Pacific "Big Boy" 4014 came to town, they tossed in the ashes of a guy from England whose final wish was to be mingled with the firebox ashes of the 4014. Whatever, um, toots your whistle, I guess.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM   #3534
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Why waste the pine? Dig a hole and dump you in and 10,000 years from now a archaeologist will note your non-ceremonial burial but label it as religious anyway.
Damn it, now I'm contemplating inexpensive ways to troll any archaeologist who digs up my bones.

"He was buried with a riddle carved on a stone tablet."

"What does it say?"

Quote:
Great wisdom and treasure will be bestowed upon the one who answers my riddle and understands its meaning.
"That's a promising start."

Quote:
List the antonyms of these words:
  1. Always
  2. Coming
  3. From
  4. Take
  5. Me
  6. Down
Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM   #3535
phunk
Illuminator

So you're not shot into orbit but become a briefly blazing falling star.

In the daytime.

Meaning your brief bright light is swallowed up by sunlight, going unnoticed and unobserved by anyone. It makes for a nihilistic metaphor for human life itself, doesn't it?
The second stage does orbit for a while before it comes back down. Whether it comes down in daylight I can't say, but I see no reason to assume that. But it probably does come down in the middle of the ocean somewhere that it won't be seen.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM   #3536
Armitage72
Master Poster

On this past Friday's episode of "Savage Builds", Adam Savage attempted to resolve the engineering problems that crippled the Panjandrum during World War II. When he recruited amateur rocketry experts and started talking about the rockets mounted on the machine, I couldn't help but think "It's a good thing they weren't trying to use it in space."
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #3537
Lrrr
Stealth Hug Ninja

Damn it, now I'm contemplating inexpensive ways to troll any archaeologist who digs up my bones.

"What does it say?"

"That's a promising start."
Rick rolling from the grave! I love it!!
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM   #3538
Axxman300
Illuminator

"What does it say?"
I already plan to tell the orderlies in whatever old folks home or hospice I end up in about this treasure worth hundreds of millions, and ask one of them to take care of my map.
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM   #3539
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I think he's found a better home over on FES.
Someone misspelled FFS.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #3540
steenkh
Philosopher

That is splendid. I thought it was like the first proposals that I remember from years ago, where I believe the idea was that you would stay out with the stars for eternity.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #3541
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I think he's found a better home over on FES.
Ouch - my brain hurts at the stupidity there. I do not know how the few posters trying to explain real physics and the real world stand it.

A "Tatumsid" touting the same deluded videos that GV ignorantly touted and adding the insane lying video of a rocket exploding in the atmosphere being in space.
Tatumsid has some different gibberish, e.g. "back-pressure like drag". But GV's pressure gradient force delusion also appears - "No physicist or engineer can prove an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force". No physicist or engineer will try to show this because they know that that is not what Newton's third law says ! The "equal and opposite force" is between pairs of gas particles.

The title of that Flat Earth Society thread shows how deluded the thread is: "Rockets cannot propel in space. Therefore no globe picture could have been taken".
Rockets do not "propel in space" - they are in orbit ! Even this thread about the "Rockets cannot propel in the vacuum of space" delusions does not stop rockets from getting into orbit. Yuri Gagarin saw the curvature of the Earth back on 12 April 1961. 06:18 UT (T+ 676 s) Gagarin reported, "The craft is operating normally. I can see Earth in the view port of the Vzor. Everything is proceeding as planned".

A delusion of "actors" when astronauts have died.

The usual "NASA" delusion when rocket science was well established before NASA even existed.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #3542
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Ouch - my brain hurts at the stupidity there.

<respectful snip>

A delusion of "actors" when astronauts have died.

The usual "NASA" delusion when rocket science was well established before NASA even existed.
I wonder what proportion of posters on there are poes ...
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #3543
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Last night, as I watched Falcon Heavy lift off, I smiled as I thought about Gingervytes and his preposterous claim that "rockets cannot work in a vacuum because there is no air for the exhaust to push against".

Again, I smiled, even more broadly, when the side boosters separated, and when the second stage engine lit up to propel the payloads into orbit, and as the fairings fell away to come back to the ocean for recovery. I enjoyed watching as the side boosters came back to The Cape for a specular tandem night landing at LZ1 & LZ2, and although I understand how difficult it is to land the centre core, I was still a little disappointed that it didn't happen this time.

I laughed out loud when I saw the second stage engine shut down and then relight not once, not twice, but three times, as it deployed a whole raft of cubesats and experiments into different orbits.

After it was all over, I felt sad, but not for myself. I was sad for all the delusional people like Gingervytes, whose worldview is so completely ******-up, that they may never know the thrill or the excitement of enjoying the live viewing of ground-breaking advances in space science that are taking place right before their blind eyes.

Last edited by smartcooky; Yesterday at 09:47 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM   #3544
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Oddly enough, I was thinking much the same thing from a different angle, as I was reading a blog entry about some of the greatest photographs ever made. One mentioned was the seemingly unspectacular Hubble Deep Space image here. It looks of course just like a bunch of stars in the sky until you realize what's shown. If you held a pair of needles at arm's length, the field of view of this picture would be about the size of the point where they cross. Within this tiny field of view, what you see are approximately ten thousand galaxies, each of them containing millions of stars, at distances of 7 and a half to 10 and a half billion light years from here. Just this tiny little slice of the universe.

The Gingervytes' of this world seem to think the universe so puny you could bounce off its edges at the end of a long day trip. A cosmic flapjack with lights on the ceiling. What a lot they miss.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology