ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political speculation , uk politics

Old 11th July 2019, 05:48 AM   #321
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I reckon this time it was all carefully scripted and faked to bring about a non-independent ambassador as machinated by the dark forces.
No it was rather like the Valerie Plame scandal in the US. It was posting classified information to gain partisan political advantage, this time because the last two heads of the foreign office are fighting to be prime minister. As such careers and lives of civil servants are always open targets.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 03:50 PM   #322
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
What happened to voting leave to take back control?.
We need to put these jumpity upstarts in their place. Who do they think they are telling us who our ambassador should be?

Not only should we pick Boy George, Nigella Lawson or some other person banned from America as our new Ambassador we should take a trick out of Trump's book and move our Embassy*. I suggest Jamestown to reflect the time when America was great. When we owned it.

*Jerusalem

How about moving it to Boston if you REALLY want to raise some eyebrows....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:34 PM   #323
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Boris and the leaks.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-...rexit/11302182

Quote:
He believes those with access to Sir Kim's memos would be limited.
"The distribution can vary between a very narrow distribution, it depends on what you put on your telegram," he said.
"You can say 'personal for' and then list a handful of people, or you can just put it to the general distribution and say address it to the Foreign Office generally and it will have a very big distribution, maybe hundreds."
But the fact that the leaked memos span a nearly three-year period will narrow down the field of suspects.
"If it was one document it would be virtually impossible, but the same person dealing with the same subject who'd have access to all of these will be relatively small," Sir Ivor said.

Who would have had access to those highly confidential memos. Who would want to stir things up.
Would the Foreign Minister have had access to these telegrams? Is Boris capable of such unethical behaviour?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_cat_strategy

Lynton Crosby is pulling the Boris strings and he and Boris have form doing this before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynton...ead_cat_theory

Quote:
Dead cat theory

In a 2013 article for The Daily Telegraph, Boris Johnson noted that one of Crosby's tactics when losing an argument because the facts are against you was to do the equivalent of "throwing a dead cat on the table": bring up an issue you want to talk about that draws widespread attention from the populace, forcing opponents to also talk about your new issue instead of the previous issue.[29] According to the Guardian, Michael Fallon was the implementer of the strategy in the 2015 when he accused Ed Miliband of preparing to drop Trident as part of a deal with the Scottish National Party at a moment when the Labour party were starting to pull ahead in the polls.[37]
Boris is making a mess of his run for PM. Throw a dead cat on the table in the form of the diplomatic cables. Stab someone in the back you don't like at the same time. Two birds, one stone.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 11th July 2019 at 06:38 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 12:29 AM   #324
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The magic money tree will be used to find more money for the UK's navy if Jeremy Hunt becomes Prime Minister:

Quote:
The Tory leadership hopeful has already pledged to boost defence spending by 15bn over the next five years.

The foreign secretary said the Royal Navy had been "run down" over recent decades and he would review the size of the current fleet of 19 frigates and destroyers.

Mr Hunt's leadership rival, Boris Johnson, has also committed to increasing the UK's defence budget, but BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Beale said his plans appeared more modest.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48958359

I wonder how much more useful that 15bn would be if it was spent reversing the funding cuts for local services (central government funding for local services has been reduced by more than 50%as a result of austerity).
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:06 AM   #325
ceptimus
puzzler

He is the son of an Admiral. Nice of him to spend taxpayers' money to benefit the outfit his dad worked for. I wonder if his dad liked to hunt foxes too?
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:48 AM   #326
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Aside from where he will get the money he is right.
If we want to keep a 'blue water' navy capable of high intensity warfare they need more money.
Best way to dk it is not renew Trident and spend the cash for that on the navy.
A bunch of frigates and dkme more subs will be far more effective thsn the 'deterrent'.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:51 AM   #327
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Aside from where he will get the money he is right.
If we want to keep a 'blue water' navy capable of high intensity warfare they need more money.
Best way to dk it is not renew Trident and spend the cash for that on the navy.
A bunch of frigates and dkme more subs will be far more effective thsn the 'deterrent'.
Abandon Trident, HS2 and Brexit and we can probably pay for all of Hunt and Johnston's promises as well as following Gove's plan to get rid of VAT.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:57 AM   #328
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't Trident the price we pay (subscription fee if you will) for membership of the International Big Boys' Club ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 06:20 AM   #329
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Isn't Trident the price we pay (subscription fee if you will) for membership of the International Big Boys' Club ?
Its possible to have nuclear weapons without the expense of Trident.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 12:29 PM   #330
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"Do you know what's in paragraph 5c?"

"No"
Old 12th July 2019, 02:27 PM   #331
a_unique_person

"Do you know what's in paragraph 5c?"

"No"
I fear another dead cat is about to be thrown on the table.

Boris just keeps insisting that you can negotiate a no deal. Can't he spot the logical error on that?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 12th July 2019 at 02:30 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 02:31 PM   #332
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He’s a moron. He’s literally a moron, problem is he thinks he’s a ******* genius.
A textbook example of Dunning-Kruger.
Old 12th July 2019, 03:06 PM   #333
a_unique_person

Hes a moron. Hes literally a moron, problem is he thinks hes a ******* genius.
A textbook example of Dunning-Kruger.
Now you're just being defeatist. WWCD. (What would Churchill do).
Old 12th July 2019, 03:14 PM   #334
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Get drunk?
Old 12th July 2019, 05:04 PM   #335
a_unique_person

Get drunk?
Cuddle up to the fascists, of course.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 12th July 2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 13th July 2019, 04:03 AM   #336
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Andrew Neil utterly exposed Boris Johnson's unsuitability for leadership and made him look like the clowning, gibbering, pompous, smug, bumbling and dangerous arse he clearly is. And yet he is still likely to be our next PM.

Watch the interview. It's painful.

His 'supporters' are attacking the BBC and Neil for their 'attack' rather than Boris for being a moron.

I think some of them saw him as he really is for the first time and they don't like it.
Old 13th July 2019, 04:14 AM   #337
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Andrew Neil utterly exposed Boris Johnson's unsuitability for leadership and made him look like the clowning, gibbering, pompous, smug, bumbling and dangerous arse he clearly is. And yet he is still likely to be our next PM.

Watch the interview. It's painful.

His 'supporters' are attacking the BBC and Neil for their 'attack' rather than Boris for being a moron.

I think some of them saw him as he really is for the first time and they don't like it.
And it will make not a jot of difference because it doesn't matter if he is competent or not. It's all about which side he is on.
Old 13th July 2019, 05:39 AM   #338
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Get drunk?

Next time my wife tells me I'm drunk I'm going to tell her "No, I'm Churchillian".

Now I just have to remember that for a couple of hours!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 08:38 AM   #339
Aber
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Next time my wife tells me I'm drunk I'm going to tell her "No, I'm Churchillian".
Try not to remember the Churchill quote about being sober in the morning.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 02:15 PM   #340
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

That did occur to me, but I'm perfectly capable of dropping myself in the ****.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 12:25 AM   #341
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

In contrast to most of the right-wing press who are unabashed cheerleaders for Boris Johnson, the Guardian is running a series of articles on the "Real Boris Johnson".

The Guardian is a left wing "quality" (as opposed to tabloid) daily and as such is likely to be highly partial in matters like this but their first article relates to a journalist who Boris Johnson allegedly conspired to have beaten up.

Quote:
In 1990, Johnson was secretly recorded agreeing to provide the address of the News of the World reporter Stuart Collier to his friend Darius Guppy, who wanted to arrange for the journalist to have his ribs cracked as revenge for investigating his activities.

In the event the assault did not occur, while Guppy ended up being jailed for a separate 1.8m fraud and Johnson later dismissed the call as a joke.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...emands-apology

How very Trumpian, call for someone to be assaulted and then attempt to pass it off as a joke
Old 15th July 2019, 12:44 AM   #342
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

In contrast to most of the right-wing press who are unabashed cheerleaders for Boris Johnson, the Guardian is running a series of articles on the "Real Boris Johnson".

The Guardian is a left wing "quality" (as opposed to tabloid) daily and as such is likely to be highly partial in matters like this but their first article relates to a journalist who Boris Johnson allegedly conspired to have beaten up.

How very Trumpian, call for someone to be assaulted and then attempt to pass it off as a joke
Breathtaking. Ive never known such a low standard of world leaders, and I include Australia.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 02:35 AM   #343
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

The problem is, none of this is news, the Guppy business has been public knowledge for years, his firing from the Times for lying, his firing from the Shadow Cabinet, also for lying. The casual racism and homophobia (possibly a feature rather than a bug with his party members), his poor performance as a constituency MP, the ridiculous distortions of his anti-EU 'reporting' from Brussels, his record as mayor, mostly of massive waste,lies and overruling planning authorities to benefit investment developers, the lack of any kind of policy, the affairs, the children,...

Pretty sure I've missed something, but none of this is a secret, it's all been reported, repeatedly, but his supporters don't care, the eccentric Boris persona and the carefully crafted illusion that he's actually doing really well for someone unprepared and thinking on his feet keeps getting him second chances when normal people would be unemployable.

Old 15th July 2019, 03:12 AM   #344
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
The problem is, none of this is news, the Guppy business has been public knowledge for years, his firing from the Times for lying, his firing from the Shadow Cabinet, also for lying. The casual racism and homophobia (possibly a feature rather than a bug with his party members), his poor performance as a constituency MP, the ridiculous distortions of his anti-EU 'reporting' from Brussels, his record as mayor, mostly of massive waste,lies and overruling planning authorities to benefit investment developers, the lack of any kind of policy, the affairs, the children,...

Pretty sure I've missed something, but none of this is a secret, it's all been reported, repeatedly, but his supporters don't care, the eccentric Boris persona and the carefully crafted illusion that he's actually doing really well for someone unprepared and thinking on his feet keeps getting him second chances when normal people would be unemployable.
You can say all that but he was funny on 'Have I got news for you'.......
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 04:28 AM   #345
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Cuddle up to the fascists, of course.
My mistake. Churchill fought the fascists.
Old 18th July 2019, 01:56 AM   #346
catsmate
No longer the 1

Its possible to have nuclear weapons without the expense of Trident.
Possibly even useful ones.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 04:59 AM   #347
ohms
Graduate Poster

Last night we had BJ waffling on about smoked kippers from the Isle of Man and EU packaging rules. He neglected to mention two important things: 1. The Isle of Man is not in the EU 2. The packaging rules he was referring to are actually UK rules.

Out future PM ladies and gentleman....
Old 18th July 2019, 06:02 AM   #348
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ohms View Post
Last night we had BJ waffling on about smoked kippers from the Isle of Man and EU packaging rules. He neglected to mention two important things: 1. The Isle of Man is not in the EU 2. The packaging rules he was referring to are actually UK rules.

Considering he's spent the past couple of decades or more ********ting about EU rules, this is really no great surprise.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 06:08 AM   #349
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't matter if something is true - what matters is if you can persuade enough of the target audience to believe it. In this case, Boris would be pushing at an open door with the Conservative membership, Leave voters and perhaps a significant proportion of people who don't have the time or inclination to so some fact checking.
Old 18th July 2019, 11:33 AM   #350
ceptimus
puzzler

He's more interested in being amusing than being correct.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 11:42 AM   #351
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
He's more interested in being amusing Prime Minister than being correct.

FTFY.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 02:08 PM   #352
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

3. He knows nothing about buying breakfast foods as he just eats whatever the mistress-du-jour has in on that day.

Old 19th July 2019, 03:34 PM   #353
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Donald Trump: Boris Johnson 'will do a great job as PM'

Quote:
US President Donald Trump has said Boris Johnson would do "a great job" as UK prime minister and they would have "a very good relationship".
"He's a different kind of a guy but they say I'm a different kind of a guy too," Mr Trump told reporters.
Outgoing prime minister Theresa May "has done a very bad job with Brexit", he added.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49052373
Old Yesterday, 02:44 AM   #354
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Donald Trump: Boris Johnson 'will do a great job as PM'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49052373

In a sane world that would have sunk him.

Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM   #355
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
He's more interested in being amusing than being correct.
Yet I find him so horrifying I can't laugh at him.
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #356
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Now Boris wants to move his mistress into No. 10 with him. He still married to the wife he dumped. He has been ordering an expensive bed and other furniture for them to 'live in sin'.
Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM   #357
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Now Boris wants to move his mistress into No. 10 with him. He still married to the wife he dumped. He has been ordering an expensive bed and other furniture for them to 'live in sin'.
That would be the same girlfriend he had the shouting match with recently, with the police called?

Reminds me when Rudy Giulianni got kicked out of the official NYC mayors mansion when cheating on his wife.
Old Today, 02:02 AM   #358
Arcade22
Philosopher

Even when they have the ability to cherry-pick the most objectionable things with the EU they still fail. ******* degenerates. Even a horse would make a better prime minister.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics