IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th December 2017, 12:13 AM   #521
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
That's a euphemism I'm not aware of...
I was trying to make it sound like one.

Just as I have a vague ambition to coin a business metaphor that is taken up and sounds slightly unsavoury... but I have some way to go to best "open our kimonos"

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2017, 08:43 AM   #522
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Indeed. For instance, you pull into a sleepy backwater port, and there's nobody manning the immigration and customs office.
The Inner Harbour of Victoria, British Columbia, is too famous and well-populated to qualify as a sleepy backwater port, but: Some years ago, when I was the crew on a 29-foot sailboat going from Oregon to Alaska and back, the harbourmaster's shack was closed when we arrived just after sunset and docked in front of the Empress Hotel.

We checked in the next day to pay our fee and because we wanted to spend a day in Victoria, but no one would have stopped us if we had just up and left at dawn, as we did a day later. Apart from Victoria and Vancouver, where I was dropped off to return to the US, all of that voyage's ports were too sleepy for any government officials to check on us.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2018, 12:49 PM   #523
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Much less convoluted a story, but another example of committing to a sailboat adventure of a lifetime- with skills possibly not up to the task:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nks/326152002/
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2018, 02:42 PM   #524
Stout
Philosopher

That last one is kind of weird.

Can you actually live the yachting lifestyle with no money ? I mean, if these guys sold everything they owned to acquire a $10 000 sailboat and are having a hard time coming up with the $ 7000 to salvage it, how long would that "dream" lifestyle realistically last ?
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 01:25 PM   #525
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
That last one is kind of weird.

Can you actually live the yachting lifestyle with no money ? I mean, if these guys sold everything they owned to acquire a $10 000 sailboat and are having a hard time coming up with the $ 7000 to salvage it, how long would that "dream" lifestyle realistically last ?
In re-reading the article perhaps it is even more strange than the voyage in the OP. First, to sell "everything" you own and only obtain $10,000 is quite sad. Then to plan to spend the rest of your life living aboard and making open sea passages on a $5000 (plus $5000 repairs) 28 foot sailboat is both scary and stupid (IMO). Even if they had a large sum of money held in reserve for food, fees, repairs, replacements, ground transportation, medical needs, etc., the living aboard and sailing of such a minimal vessel would be a serious and frequently unpleasant challenge for even very experienced sailors. It would resemble living with your spouse in a walk-in closet for the rest of your lives, except far wetter, bouncier, more dangerous, and with less head room. Without any real cash reserve the trip would probably fissile out within a month as soon as the first real expense arose.

I can't really figure it. Of course the couple might have been naive and excessively optimistic. Um- do we know if the boat and the possessions within were insured? (but if it were an insurance scam it would have been better to sink the boat in a lot deeper water).

This story does point out that committing to a sailing life on board even a large boat raises the question of what do you do with your important personal items? We all have stuff that is extremely important to us, either due to its monetary value or its personal meaning. Taking the risk that it can all suddenly get lost in many feet of water is one risk that does not arise from owning an apartment or a house. Another argument for not giving up the apartment or house if you buy a boat to voyage the world- if you can afford not to. What do the people who retire, buy a camper/RV, and hit the roads do with their important stuff?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 02:07 PM   #526
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
In re-reading the article perhaps it is even more strange than the voyage in the OP. First, to sell "everything" you own and only obtain $10,000 is quite sad. Then to plan to spend the rest of your life living aboard and making open sea passages on a $5000 (plus $5000 repairs) 28 foot sailboat is both scary and stupid (IMO). Even if they had a large sum of money held in reserve for food, fees, repairs, replacements, ground transportation, medical needs, etc., the living aboard and sailing of such a minimal vessel would be a serious and frequently unpleasant challenge for even very experienced sailors. It would resemble living with your spouse in a walk-in closet for the rest of your lives, except far wetter, bouncier, more dangerous, and with less head room. Without any real cash reserve the trip would probably fissile out within a month as soon as the first real expense arose.

I can't really figure it. Of course the couple might have been naive and excessively optimistic. Um- do we know if the boat and the possessions within were insured? (but if it were an insurance scam it would have been better to sink the boat in a lot deeper water).

This story does point out that committing to a sailing life on board even a large boat raises the question of what do you do with your important personal items? We all have stuff that is extremely important to us, either due to its monetary value or its personal meaning. Taking the risk that it can all suddenly get lost in many feet of water is one risk that does not arise from owning an apartment or a house. Another argument for not giving up the apartment or house if you buy a boat to voyage the world- if you can afford not to. What do the people who retire, buy a camper/RV, and hit the roads do with their important stuff?
Storage locker maybe? Or they just get rid of it all.

I think it's possible that the couple in the above link were just that stupid. Easiest explanation. Some people just are. Get two stupid people and put them together and there is no one to talk them out of a stupid idea.
Old 11th February 2018, 02:12 PM   #527
xjx388

My area gets a lot of “snowbirds” who call South Texas home for a good part of the year. Some of them have a home up north and some of them live full-time in an RV. In either case, they don’t really think of stuff as “important.” They value the freedom that not having a lot of material goods provides. They have a bank where their retirement money is and they live off of that. Some of them have jobs while they are here.

If one is to embrace the sailing life and live full time on a boat, then it would be foolish to do so with no money to sustain you. But if you are retired and that’s what you wanna do, I know of people who do this.

The people in the article, it seems, had no idea what hey were doing.
Old 11th February 2018, 02:32 PM   #528
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

What do the people who retire, buy a camper/RV, and hit the roads do with their important stuff?
I don't know anything about boating, but I know that the self-storage industry has been one of the fastest-growing in the U.S. for decades. Anybody hitting the road (or the water) would likely rent a storage unit (as would anybody who gets tired of tripping over all their stuff). They probably also rent a P.O. box as a permanent address, if they can't use a friend's or relative's. No matter where they actually are, they have to file income taxes, register and insure their vehicle, get important mail, etc.
http://www.insideselfstorage.com/art...y-in-2017.aspx

Last edited by Bob001; 11th February 2018 at 02:44 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 09:22 PM   #529
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The articles I've read say that it costs $10,000 to get that sunken boat out of there and the government is making them do it. They didn't buy insurance for that.

But no problem. After a few days with GoFundMe they nearly have all of it.

https://www.gofundme.com/new-sailing-life

She says that they ran into a submerged object, but I think the submerged object was the bottom of the ocean.

They are going to get another boat and do it again. Even asking for leads on a replacement boat right now. So they do have money to spend or will do another GoFundMe so that other folks pay for a boat.
Old 12th February 2018, 04:06 AM   #530
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The articles I've read say that it costs $10,000 to get that sunken boat out of there and the government is making them do it. They didn't buy insurance for that.

She says that they ran into a submerged object, but I think the submerged object was the bottom of the ocean.

They are going to get another boat and do it again. Even asking for leads on a replacement boat right now. So they do have money to spend or will do another GoFundMe so that other folks pay for a boat.
They're already over $10K a few hours later. Who actually contributed to this? How do they plan to live while sailing. I know a guy who does that, but he is a seasoned captain and while he might not pick up a captaincy he can always find a month or two of work crewing for someone in the Med or Caribbean. They don't seem to have gotten a handle on basic seamanship, though.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:41 AM   #531
Stout
Philosopher

Damn, I was coming in here to post an answer to my own question about this couple sailing the gulf with no money. They're Americans, they can work legally in the USA where I as a Canadian would have a very rough time trying to pull that off.

So now the people who say "Money isn’t everything!" are now, ironically begging for money.

It's the pug that's bringing in the cash.

They're editing that GoFundMe page fast. Last night they said they were going to sail the Caribbean. They've still got the line about delivering yachts up but I expect that will disappear soon and, the comment section is now gone.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:50 AM   #532
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by CBS Denver
The couple did not have insurance on the boat. They also do not have jobs. Their only savings were enough to last them a few months.
That can't really be the $90 cash that they had after the boat sank.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/02/1...s-sail-crashes
Old 12th February 2018, 09:01 AM   #533
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

They're editing that GoFundMe page fast. Last night they said they were going to sail the Caribbean. They've still got the line about delivering yachts up but I expect that will disappear soon and, the comment section is now gone.
There doesn't appear to be any edits to what she wrote about their story of what happened, what they need and what's next.

The comments are now gone but that's understandable given what happens in public comment sections.

Why would they remove the explanation of what he was doing to earn money in Tarpon Springs while they waited two months for their boat to be fixed up?
Old 12th February 2018, 09:12 AM   #534
Belz...
Fiend God

Without any real cash reserve the trip would probably fissile out within a month as soon as the first real expense arose.
I wasn't aware that they had a nuclear reactor aboard!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 09:34 AM   #535
Stout
Philosopher

There doesn't appear to be any edits to what she wrote about their story of what happened, what they need and what's next.

The comments are now gone but that's understandable given what happens in public comment sections.

Why would they remove the explanation of what he was doing to earn money in Tarpon Springs while they waited two months for their boat to be fixed up?
I've read maybe a dozen versions of this story, it's made international news now and the online world isn't being kind to these two. For the most hilarious comments, see Fox news.

Sail the Caribbean, sail the world, on no freakin' money

I read nothing about what they were doing in Tarpon Springs, save the "delivering yachts" True they may have been crew on a few yacht deliveries but there's no way, no how, that any boat owner is going to trust their yacht to a couple of inexperienced yahoos.
Old 12th February 2018, 09:39 AM   #536
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Well the spot where the boat is sunk isn't deep enough to cover the boat. It certainly looks like they just plain ran it aground, or hit a rock sticking up a foot or two out of the bottom. I don't think you have much opportunity to learn about handling a boat in the ocean living in Colorado. If they're a broke as they claim to be, I have to wonder what they were planning to eat, or how they expected to buy fuel and other supplies.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 09:41 AM   #537
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

I've read maybe a dozen versions of this story, it's made international news now and the online world isn't being kind to these two. For the most hilarious comments, see Fox news.

Sail the Caribbean, sail the world, on no freakin' money

I read nothing about what they were doing in Tarpon Springs, save the "delivering yachts" True they may have been crew on a few yacht deliveries but there's no way, no how, that any boat owner is going to trust their yacht to a couple of inexperienced yahoos.
Somehow I don't see how, "We sunk our boat, and would like a job transporting yours." is going to generate a lot of work for them.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 09:46 AM   #538
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by New York Post
"How can we live our lives when we’re working most of the day and you have to pay so much just to live?” Nikki Walsh said.

“Most of the work you do goes to your home. There has to be another option.”
https://nypost.com/2018/02/10/couple...unken-sailboat

This may have been a prime motivator for them. They were probably paying more than $1000 per month for rent in Breckenridge, Colorado. Then add the other expenses of living in an apartment or whatever. They figured it was much cheaper to live on a sailboat and do work on land. With this, you own your "house" and take it with you as you move around.

I suspect that they were going to bop around west Florida and the Keys until savings and food/supplies started running down. Then probably decide where to park on the west coast of FL and start working again.
Old 12th February 2018, 09:52 AM   #539
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Somehow I don't see how, "We sunk our boat, and would like a job transporting yours." is going to generate a lot of work for them.
The yacht delivering happened before the sinking.
Old 12th February 2018, 09:56 AM   #540
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

They bought the boat in Alabama for $5000. Then his father helped them sail it to Tarpon Springs and teach some things about sailing as they were inexperienced. It was docked in TS for a couple months and had $5000 of work done on it. During that time he is working locally and they are stocking the boat with food and supplies. Probably because they wanted a nearby ocean tour before setting down marina roots and getting back to working.
Old 12th February 2018, 01:51 PM   #541
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

https://nypost.com/2018/02/10/couple...unken-sailboat

This may have been a prime motivator for them. They were probably paying more than $1000 per month for rent in Breckenridge, Colorado. Then add the other expenses of living in an apartment or whatever. They figured it was much cheaper to live on a sailboat and do work on land. With this, you own your "house" and take it with you as you move around.

I suspect that they were going to bop around west Florida and the Keys until savings and food/supplies started running down. Then probably decide where to park on the west coast of FL and start working again.
$1000 per month in Breckenridge won't get you much at all. There's a reason most of the people who work in ski towns in Colorado live elsewhere and make long commutes. Most of the housing near the slopes gets rented out to tourists at way higher rent than regular working people can afford.

It makes a little more sense that they wanted the boat for living quarters and planned to continue working for a living. Still, never having tried living on a boat, I have to wonder if it's really much cheaper than renting an apartment, considering that you still have to rent space in a marina and maintain the boat, insure it, fuel it, etc., and it makes for very cramped living quarters.

Well, I guess if you own the boat outright, you don't absolutely have to insure it, but if you don't, you are one mistake, or one hurricane away from losing everything, as they learned the hard way.

Last edited by CORed; 12th February 2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12th February 2018, 02:14 PM   #542
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."

attributed to Samuel Johnson
Old 12th February 2018, 03:27 PM   #543
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

$1000 per month in Breckenridge won't get you much at all. There's a reason most of the people who work in ski towns in Colorado live elsewhere and make long commutes. Most of the housing near the slopes gets rented out to tourists at way higher rent than regular working people can afford.

It makes a little more sense that they wanted the boat for living quarters and planned to continue working for a living. Still, never having tried living on a boat, I have to wonder if it's really much cheaper than renting an apartment, considering that you still have to rent space in a marina and maintain the boat, insure it, fuel it, etc., and it makes for very cramped living quarters.

Well, I guess if you own the boat outright, you don't absolutely have to insure it, but if you don't, you are one mistake, or one hurricane away from losing everything, as they learned the hard way.
It is a boatload (ha ha) less than an apartment. Up in the Boston area, it is a cheap alternative, even though you pay for insurance, which is a necessity. You're insuring against damage to others.

The need for insurance for a cruiser is less obvious to me, but if you dock in a live aboard place around here, it's way cheaper than an apartment.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 03:57 PM   #544
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This sounds like they may have lost a cash stash on the boat.

Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Times
They told the Tampa Bay Times that all their possessions, as well as their entire savings, went down with the ship, leaving them with about $90...

Broadwell said his plan for the money is to "continue the dream" of sailing the world and living aboard a boat. He hopes to be back on the water in two or three months and wants to keep people posted on his, Walsh’s and Remy’s travels to inspire others by "showing the world it can be done."...

Broadwell knows that not everyone who’s read about the couple has been so kind. He tries to ignore comments from people saying they should have drowned.

Others have criticized them for not having insurance, or for not having enough experience on the water to handle the boat.

"That’s not true at all," he said. "There was an obstruction underwater that hadn’t been marked on any chart. Everyone I’ve met on my journey says it could have happened to anyone, regardless of experience. We were traveling two knots. We were extremely safe."...
http://www.tampabay.com/news/Couple-...ater_165411030
Old 12th February 2018, 08:31 PM   #545
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Action News Jacksonville
Tanner Broadwell said he and his father sailed Lagniappe from Alabama to Tarpon Springs, where he worked until he had enough supplies for up to four months on the water...

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/lo...inks/698124397
Old 12th February 2018, 09:57 PM   #546
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

They might end up getting a replacement boat for free...

Originally Posted by The Denver Post
“We have been getting blown up with all kinds of people offering us their boats,” Broadwell said in an interview with The Denver Post Monday. “It’s amazing. It’s great that people want to help us."...

His father raced Hobie Cats when he was younger and was one of the people who taught the couple how to sail their boat...

He maintains that he was within the channel markers and hit something that was not charted, an accident, likely aided by shifts caused by Hurricane Irma, that could have happened to anyone.

Friend Ray Irvin agrees with Broadwell. A 35-year sailing veteran who helped Walsh and Broadwell rewire the Lagniappe and gave them sailing lessons, Irvin said that John’s Pass is notoriously difficult to navigate. He said the couple’s one mistake was trying to tackle that challenge after dark...

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/1...t-sank-florida
Old 13th February 2018, 06:54 AM   #547
fagin
Philosopher

Not sure who is more stupid. The people trying to sail with no experience, or the idiots giving them money.

ETA. I've done a little bit of sailing. Anyone even contemplating a R.T.W. trip, or even any serious bluewater sailing, without having done some serious crewing on a boat with an experienced skipper is a naive moron.

Last edited by fagin; 13th February 2018 at 07:00 AM.
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 07:07 AM   #548
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Not sure who is more stupid. The people trying to sail with no experience, or the idiots giving them money.
There is plenty of stupid to go around.
Old 14th February 2018, 11:22 AM   #549
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

This sounds like they may have lost a cash stash on the boat.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/Couple-...ater_165411030
I would think a bank account, or even a safe deposit box for cash would be smarter than stashing a bunch of cash on the boat.
Old 14th February 2018, 11:57 AM   #550
applecorped
Banned

Wet cash isn't good?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 12:28 PM   #551
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Wet cash isn't good?
Not great, but possibly salvageable. Cash at the bottom of the ocean, OTOH, is pretty hard to spend.
Old 14th February 2018, 12:35 PM   #552
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post

ETA. I've done a little bit of sailing. Anyone even contemplating a R.T.W. trip, or even any serious bluewater sailing, without having done some serious crewing on a boat with an experienced skipper is a naive moron.
My experience is limited to taking the wheel of friends' boats or personal watercraft on inland reservoirs in good weather, paddling an inflatable down a desert river and one canoe trip in the Boundary Waters area in my teens. I don't think I would dream of venturing into the open ocean without somebody experienced on board. I damn sure wouldn't try to navigate something like John's Pass in the dark (I suspect going through that in the dark is a bad idea even if you know what you're doing).
Old 14th February 2018, 01:05 PM   #553
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I would think a bank account, or even a safe deposit box for cash would be smarter than stashing a bunch of cash on the boat.
I don't think they had a pile of cash on the boat. Just the $90 that they were rescued with. There are many dozens of articles and interviews and this is the only one that maybe hints at cash savings on board. I think instead it's a reporter who turned a phrase and did a bad thing by creating ambiguity.
Old 14th February 2018, 01:09 PM   #554
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Wet cash isn't good?
I wouldn't say that. It's a liquid asset.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 08:31 PM   #555
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Jennifer Appel's abandoned boat has been spotted.

https://video.volvooceanrace.com/new...5-208827932cc7

https://youtu.be/skBATKYp9gE
Old 16th February 2018, 11:32 AM   #556
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I wasn't aware that they had a nuclear reactor aboard!
Good ketch!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 01:30 PM   #557
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Good ketch!!!!!
I bet that one sailed over a lot of heads.
Old 16th February 2018, 04:19 PM   #558
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I sea what you did there
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 08:33 PM   #559
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I got a good lead in!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2018, 01:21 PM   #560
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I got a good lead in!!!!!!!
Too deep for most people, but what is yer bottom like?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events