IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:06 AM   #281
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
On normal cruising you have a couple of options.

Oversimplified to some degree if you're close to land you can't discharge human or animal waste. Once you get a certain distance from land you can discharge treated waste, and once you get a certain distance beyond that you can discharge untreated waste.

Very small boats often use simple camping style porta-potties or waste buckets. But commonly a boat of their size is going to have one or two marine heads with a holding tank of some size (a 1984 Baltric 55 footer on Ebay right now has a 15 gallon holding tank for example) and discharge to connect it to the sewer in port. Composting toilets are also becoming common.

In their scenario they could probably dump it or discharge it over the side.

It's really not that big of an issue when compared to dumping things like, say, plastics or oils which don't have a natural way to break down or be processed. The main concern is keeping bacteria away from human water sources. I mean given that oceans are huge ecosystems with billions of animals of every possible size pooping in them all the time some human and dog waste isn't that problematic. It's really not much different from squatting in the woods and burying it while hiking.
Good and full answer but I think he meant, when they go (the dogs), where do they go?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:10 AM   #282
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Good and full answer but I think he meant, when they go (the dogs), where do they go?
Probably a bit they have been told to.

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 01:21 AM   #283
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

I've never sailed, but it seems to me that if I set out on a voyage like this (with the money they apparently had) I would have multiple sat phones, radios, and sat connections. I'm not a genius, but I see how big the Pacific Ocean is.
Old 3rd November 2017, 01:26 AM   #284
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Cats have the sense to keep away from their own fecal/urinary discharge. I had a cat who was cutoff from her litter box when I was away for a weekend. She obviously held it in for awhile, because she deposited a nice, tidy pile in front of the door.
Old 3rd November 2017, 04:21 AM   #285
DragonLady
Illuminator

There are indoor dog toilet systems available. If I had my dogs on a boat, I'd have on installed that would be as easy to use and secure for rough weather as possible.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 05:19 AM   #286
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

So Im assuming that the dogs just crap wherever, and people usually just toss it overboard.
Gross.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 07:23 AM   #287
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
So Im assuming that the dogs just crap wherever, and people usually just toss it overboard.
Gross.
It's not that hard to train a dog to piss/crap on a piece of outdoor carpet or whatever.
Old 3rd November 2017, 07:35 AM   #288
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Or just the vague concept of "outside." Dogs probably just crapped on the deck and they either pushed it overboard or just let the normal movement of the ship and sea spray on the deck take care of it.
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:21 AM   #289
Belz...
Fiend God

Okay I think we covered the dog poop topic already!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:44 AM   #290
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Okay I think we covered the dog poop topic already!
Okay, fine.

Anyone with sailing experience know if dogs get seasick?
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:45 AM   #291
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Okay, fine.

Depends on whether they've been eating their own poop.
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:47 AM   #292
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Depends on whether they've been eating their own poop.
Boom! Perpetual motion machine.
Suck it skeptics.
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:08 AM   #293
Belz...
Fiend God

I hate you guys.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:47 AM   #294
Metullus
Forum ľ-Wit Pro Tem

Okay, fine.

Yes, they do. Sometimes. As do raccoons, all of the time...

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 04:34 PM   #295
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

These two were city girls. I suspect they made it to Tahiti on time, then island hopped westward until they ran out of marinas to dock at. Then turned north for Japan. Everything fine- until their five months of granola ran low.

Anybody know where the last convenience store was to their 900 miles s.e. of Japan?

eta: Gee, I looked at a map of the pacific islands. Looks like once you make it to Hawaii, you can island hop all over that ocean. I wonder what yachtsmen call a trip around the pacific, back to California? Circum-pacific?

Last edited by casebro; 3rd November 2017 at 04:47 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:48 PM   #296
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Can we rely on anything we read?

You know that 50 ft boat?

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/pls/webp...l_id_in=608498
Old 4th November 2017, 01:32 AM   #297
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post

36 is nearly 50, no?

Still, I'm mostly confident that there were two women on a boat about 900 miles from Japan.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 01:38 AM   #298
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Why would someone be listed as the owner of a boat 11 times ?
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 01:55 AM   #299
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Why would someone be listed as the owner of a boat 11 times ?
Renewal of registration.
Old 4th November 2017, 06:04 AM   #300
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
36 is nearly 50, no?

Still, I'm mostly confident that there were two women on a boat about 900 miles from Japan.
I think the registration papers are wrong. That boatyard only made a 45/46' like that.

But other than being another fib, size has nothing to do with it. It's not how long it is, it's how long you can use it that counts.
Old 4th November 2017, 06:50 AM   #301
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I think the registration papers are wrong. That boatyard only made a 45/46' like that.
Agreed

I've actually been shopping for these boats, not that I'm really interested in buying one right now but they sure are nice looking boats.

I've seen them as cheap as 18 grand
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 07:22 AM   #302
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I don't know if this helps:

If the guy is 1.8m (6ft) tall, the yacht is about (1.8x7.2x3.3= ) 43 feet long at the deck line. He'd have to be less than 5 feet tall for it to be 35 feet.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 09:37 AM   #303
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Agreed

I've actually been shopping for these boats, not that I'm really interested in buying one right now but they sure are nice looking boats.

I've seen them as cheap as 18 grand
Did you ask the salesperson about the accomodations for dogs crapping? I kind of need closure on this aspect of maritime science.
Old 4th November 2017, 09:44 AM   #304
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

https://i.imgur.com/gFD3j5R.jpg

If the guy is 1.8m (6ft) tall, the yacht is about (1.8x7.2x3.3= ) 43 feet long at the deck line. He'd have to be less than 5 feet tall for it to be 35 feet.
Real sailors can easily identify that make and model. Sadly, I an not one such, but if it has been misidentified, then corrections would have come immediately and loudly.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 09:48 AM   #305
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Did you ask the salesperson about the accomodations for dogs crapping? I kind of need closure on this aspect of maritime science.
Maybe this?
http://pottypatch.com/

More tips:
https://theboatgalley.com/training-dog-boat-dog/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 09:51 AM   #306
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Question: Whether the boat is 36 or 43 or 50 feet, does that have any impact on the basic improbability of their story?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 09:53 AM   #307
TX50
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Metullus View Post
Five sharks between 20 and 30 feet long? Probably juvenile Megalodon...
Bah, I wanted to say that. Either megalodon or unusually small whale sharks, or Carcharodon made-up-a-don
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 09:56 AM   #308
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Question: Whether the boat is 36 or 43 or 50 feet, does that have any impact on the basic improbability of their story?
Why are you asking me? I haven't commented on the length other than to provide an illustration for those who were having such a discussion.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 10:10 AM   #309
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Why are you asking me? I haven't commented on the length other than to provide an illustration for those who were having such a discussion.
General question in response to your observation, but not directed at you.
Old 4th November 2017, 11:22 AM   #310
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Thanks, I knew I wasn't bang on with my info so thanks for clarifying.

You should, if you haven't already seen it, look out for "All is Lost" starring Robert Redford. Its a very, very good film made better when you know that the, then, 77 year old Redford did all his own stunts.
http://sailevenstar.com/the-all-is-lost-drinking-game/
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 11:40 AM   #311
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
But other than being another fib, size has nothing to do with it. It's not how long it is, it's how long you can use it that counts.
That's what she said.
Old 4th November 2017, 04:30 PM   #312
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Note 4 people on the boat. Two must be US sailors. Whoever is up the mast may be attaching a radar reflector, to prevent the boat becoming a hazard to navigation. And possibly a transponder for relocating it for salvage? Which may be up to her insurance company? (eta, that is a sailor up the mast, The two women are on deck, one fore, other aft)

And, no they don't use unsinkable boats for target practice. Know why?

And I bet transponders are cheaper than bullets. A couple hundred 50 cal at $5 each? And an insurance company would like to inspect, to prevent insurance fraud... Probably re-reimburse the Navy for the transponder too.

Lots of conjecture there, like the rest of this thread. But, make sense?

Last edited by casebro; 4th November 2017 at 04:32 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 06:00 PM   #313
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I'm very interested in seeing how this story plays out. I don't think that there's anything wrong with suggesting that there's something fishy here. I'm just not sure what it indicates. I'm not a cruiser, but a pissant fair-weather day sailor, so I'm not an expert on what likely happened.
I'm not really confident that this story will "play out". We may be at the end of the story right now. For it to be otherwise, it might require a confession or some other party to come forward and say "we know what really happened and it is XYZ".

I have a question: Could they have ported at some place(s) along the way and done that anonymously or casually and escape easy recognition? Could they stop and buy food or do whatever and then just continue onwards and not be reported like "we have official record of this boat porting at Kiribati"? I'm asking because I don't know how records are kept at ports, if at all.
Old 4th November 2017, 06:05 PM   #314
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If their plan was for their story to be taken at face value and to spin that off into some sort of book/movie/celebrity deal they might just decide to cut their losses and hope the whole thing just goes away.

Legally speaking I wonder how "Lying about a survival experience" could really be prosecuted.
Old 4th November 2017, 06:56 PM   #315
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Enjoyment of watching All is Lost also increases if you mentally photoshop Rowen Atchison's Mr Bean in to replace "Our Man"
Old 4th November 2017, 07:31 PM   #316
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I'm not really confident that this story will "play out". We may be at the end of the story right now. For it to be otherwise, it might require a confession or some other party to come forward and say "we know what really happened and it is XYZ".

I have a question: Could they have ported at some place(s) along the way and done that anonymously or casually and escape easy recognition? Could they stop and buy food or do whatever and then just continue onwards and not be reported like "we have official record of this boat porting at Kiribati"? I'm asking because I don't know how records are kept at ports, if at all.
Job title is Harbormaster. There are also Dockmasters at marinas. Also known as Berth Control Officers.

And possibly customs officials. And credit card records.

Yachting is a small world. I expect, in a few weeks*), for someone to come forward with "Oh yeah, I remember the two gals in (name a port) and their 45' center helm___(brand of boat).

*witnesses might be out actually sailing, won't hear about it until they make land fall.
Old 4th November 2017, 07:44 PM   #317
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Enjoyment of watching All is Lost also increases if you mentally photoshop Rowen Atchison's Mr Bean in to replace "Our Man"

It's funny. I found this article also:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...review-sailors

Towards the bottom they have this advice.

Quote:
5. Never make an S.O.S. call when you’re not in immediate danger. Because Our Man makes his distress call after the collision, but before the storm, he should make a pan-pan call, not an S.O.S. call. This call is used to signify that there is an issue on board, but not an immediate threat to life or the vessel for the time being.

Appel said she was only making pan-pan calls because thay were not in immediate danger. Did she read this same article?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 04:58 AM   #318
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

Based on personal experience, yes and yes. It depends on the country and the port.
Old 5th November 2017, 01:21 PM   #319
mgidm86
Philosopher

About the dogs - they are in remarkably good shape. Good muscle tone. Pasta and rice eh? Exercise?

About the women - remarkably good shape (well...), meaning, they appear to have lost no weight, and in fact are quite overweight, at least one of them is.

I've seen photos of people who were rescued at sea and they looked like people that had been rescued at sea.

Where did they get all the water to cook all the rice and pasta, and water themselves and the dogs, and maintain hygeine? How big was their desalinizer of whatever they had? Was it electric? I hope so.

No obvious malnutrition, their faces are healthy and pudgy. No sunburn or obvious exposure.

These women only knew each other for 3 days. I think they parked the boat somewhere, had some fun and ate a whole lot of fish, and decided to spin a yarn. Ninety miles their boat breaks, yet they continue on for a couple thousand miles instead of going back?

Pretty much nothing about this story makes sense. They're hiding something. Maybe it's an affair or a drug run but it's something.

Last edited by mgidm86; 5th November 2017 at 01:22 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 05:10 PM   #320
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

4,000 nm from Tahiti to where they were picked up. That's 40 days of sailing, and two months of hunting sea shells on the beaches.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events