ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Old Today, 12:28 PM   #1241
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yes, and as usual we should listen to the experts more than laypeople... however expertise is always given with a goal in mind. If the only goal is to save as many lives as possible, then expertise is given towards this goal. But it's not the only goal, so the question is, are we putting priority on one thing and forgetting something else that would come back and bite us in the rear?

Let's think about it a bit before reflex-posting.
I believe the experts because they know more and have more experience. The economy needs a reset. I believe this crisis is showing the failings of capitalism, especially in the U.S.A. Big businesses are asking for another bailout after hording the money from the last bailout. The economy is rather weak because of the structure of it cannot withstand a pandemic. The economy needs restructured.

I have no doubt that the part of the economy that Trump and his goons want to protect is the corporations and wealthy, they really don't care about the rest of us.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:51 PM   #1242
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I believe the experts because they know more and have more experience.
OK.

Quote:
The economy needs a reset. I believe this crisis is showing the failings of capitalism, especially in the U.S.A. Big businesses are asking for another bailout after hording the money from the last bailout. The economy is rather weak because of the structure of it cannot withstand a pandemic. The economy needs restructured.

I have no doubt that the part of the economy that Trump and his goons want to protect is the corporations and wealthy, they really don't care about the rest of us.
Which experts are you getting this information from? It seems like you're being pretty selective in choosing which experts to listen to and believe.
Old Today, 01:59 PM   #1243
xjx388
Philosopher

Biden for President?

I believe the experts because they know more and have more experience. The economy needs a reset. I believe this crisis is showing the failings of capitalism, especially in the U.S.A. Big businesses are asking for another bailout after hording the money from the last bailout. The economy is rather weak because of the structure of it cannot withstand a pandemic. The economy needs restructured.

What I glean from this is that you want to lend more weight to the medical experts and not to the economic experts because you want the economy to fail in order to hit the reset button. You hope the corporations and wealthy are brought low and that The New Reconstruction will result in an economic system that favors the 99%.

Good luck with that, I guess?
Old Today, 02:00 PM   #1244
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I believe the experts because they know more and have more experience. The economy needs a reset. I believe this crisis is showing the failings of capitalism, especially in the U.S.A. Big businesses are asking for another bailout after hording the money from the last bailout. The economy is rather weak because of the structure of it cannot withstand a pandemic.
Please name two experts who have experience with economic structures that can withstand a pandemic. Please cite at least on such economic system they've had experience with.

I'm not saying no such system exists, and I'm not saying these "experts" are full of ****. If such a system does exist, though, then we should definitely be promoting the experts who have the experience. We should also be taking a good hard look at that system, and how to implement it as soon as possible.

So... Who are they?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:22 PM   #1245
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Perhaps both the medical and economic experts are right but people can feel one of them matters a lot more than the other?
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:24 PM   #1246
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Neither option is depressing as the idea of progressives holding out for some gesture from Biden, before they'll condescend to come together and support a candidate.

ETA: Delvo, if Biden does pick a woman VP, are you saying you'll put aside your grievances and work with the moderate wing of the party in spite of their bad attitude?
I don't care what sex the VP candidate is. I might care about his or her political thinking. That goes beyond just thinking of a progressive VP candidate as a symbolic gesture. It would also mean a progressive was next in line if Biden dies or quits during his term, or would be positioned well to run for President if Biden completes the term. But of course, that's why he won't do that. He's always worked against the American people before so he isn't about to switch around and pick somebody who's for us now.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:49 PM   #1247
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
OK.

Which experts are you getting this information from? It seems like you're being pretty selective in choosing which experts to listen to and believe.
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
What I glean from this is that you want to lend more weight to the medical experts and not to the economic experts because you want the economy to fail in order to hit the reset button. You hope the corporations and wealthy are brought low and that The New Reconstruction will result in an economic system that favors the 99%.

Good luck with that, I guess?
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Please name two experts who have experience with economic structures that can withstand a pandemic. Please cite at least on such economic system they've had experience with.

I'm not saying no such system exists, and I'm not saying these "experts" are full of ****. If such a system does exist, though, then we should definitely be promoting the experts who have the experience. We should also be taking a good hard look at that system, and how to implement it as soon as possible.

So... Who are they?
I don't know about thaiboxerken's experts, but I do know the "experts" in charge of the current economy should probably be kicked out on their rear. The insistence on tax cuts and rate cuts to stimulate the economy when Obama left it in pretty good shape left us with no recourse when things inevitably went south.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:52 PM   #1248
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I don't care what sex the VP candidate is. I might care about his or her political thinking. That goes beyond just thinking of a progressive VP candidate as a symbolic gesture. It would also mean a progressive was next in line if Biden dies or quits during his term, or would be positioned well to run for President if Biden completes the term. But of course, that's why he won't do that. He's always worked against the American people before so he isn't about to switch around and pick somebody who's for us now.
You should read this post.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:53 PM   #1249
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
You should read this post.
Yeah, it would be terrible if someone like Clarence Thomas were put on the court.
Old Today, 04:09 PM   #1250
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Yeah, it would be terrible if someone like Clarence Thomas were put on the court.
I get it. You'd prefer 2 more Kavanaughs. Carry on with your well though out plan of biting off your nose then shooting yourself in the foot.
Old Today, 04:33 PM   #1251
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I get it. You'd prefer 2 more Kavanaughs. Carry on with your well though out plan of biting off your nose then shooting yourself in the foot.
I would think the most liberal people would want more justices like Kavanaugh.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics