ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM   #1081
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

And speaking of Kroger, yesterday the fact that all their stores everywhere are going to start limiting their in-store customers to 50% of maximum legal occupancy was announce on both the local news and on CNN. Frankly, I think that's still too many people (especially given that the seating areas in all of their delicatessens are closed), but it's a start.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya

Last edited by SpitfireIX; Yesterday at 01:15 PM. Reason: clarification
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #1082
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You just make the moose walk in front of you on its own four feet.
LOL. Four feet? What kind of moose do you have there in Crazy Land?
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #1083
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
And speaking of Kroger, yesterday the fact that all their stores everywhere are going to start limiting their in-store customers to 50% of maximum legal occupancy was announce on both the local news and on CNN. Frankly, I think that's still too many people (especially given that the seating areas in all of their delicatessens are closed), but it's a start.
I was just in one (QFC) this morning and didn't see any sign of that.
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #1084
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

The announcement said it was supposed to start today, and it does include all of their subsidiaries. They said they're going to use their existing customer-counting technology, so maybe there are some implementation issues at some stores.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #1085
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
You test on crackers, surely?
A. In Australia they are called bogans, and
2. Eewww no way
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #1086
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
The announcement said it was supposed to start today, and it does include all of their subsidiaries. They said they're going to use their existing customer-counting technology, so maybe there are some implementation issues at some stores.
I hate Kroger after they abandoned our city with no notice and no explanation.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #1087
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

When I was looking through my car for the water enhancer, I found about 10 leftover Optifast shakes (for those unfamiliar, Optifast is like SlimFast but requires a prescription). I'll be saving those, as they're basically shelf-stable milk with sweetener, flavoring, and added vitamins and minerals. They're good until September.
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #1088
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You just make the moose walk in front of you on its own four feet. Of course that means your face is glued to the moose's ass.
Couldnít you do what they did with Trump?
Shave its area and teach it to walk backwards?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #1089
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
But as of last week they [Aldi] were still using that shopping cart scheme where you put a quarter (1/4 dollar coin) into a slot in the cart to release it from a daisy-chain attaching it to the next cart in the stack. You get the quarter back by chaining the cart back up when you're done. Releasing a cart is no big deal; it's your own quarter, and you only have to touch the cart you're going to use, which you have to touch anyhow to use it. But then, at checkout, they load your groceries into the previous customer's cart (while you're unloading yours, to save time). If you still want the quarter back, you're getting the one in the swapped cart, and you have to handle the daisy-chain from yet another cart in the stack to release the coin. So the whole process involves touching parts of three different carts, and you end up with someone else's coin. So you disregard the quarter and leave the cart unchained for the next customer, but you still end up using two different carts. That's no longer an acceptable risk, in my opinion.

According to the Aldi web site, they're not doing the hilited thing any more, as of one or two days after I last shopped there. Good news, and good for them.
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM   #1090
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
LOL. Four feet? What kind of moose do you have there in Crazy Land?
I donít know what I was thinking!
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #1091
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
haha!

Not homeless - the homeless don't sell things. These sellers are part of California culture. They are the 'undocumented entrepreneurs' of the off ramps and parking lot corners, mostly with flowers or bags of oranges but occasionally a small illegal 'pop up' stall, especially on holidays.
The L.A. mayor today announced that people will be required to wear masks in stores...at store discretion.

One of his reasons was that he thinks supply is catching up with masks now being available 'on corners'.

I still do not have a 'real' one... but made one myself for now out of an old Hawaiian shirt and my daughters cut up ballet tights.

eta: still no TP...half roll left.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM   #1092
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

The moose here are having a tough time of it. Extremely deep snow, the wolves can run circles around them, they are forced out of the high ground too and down where they are more concentrated in the lowlands.

I feel bad for them, I think my son and I will whack some birch for them to browse on, they are following our trails because they know we are logging trees, but just spruce right now.

And in any case it is wise to keep an eye on these walking meat lockers and have them predisposed to walking right up to you. If you cut down birch, they'll come a-runnin when they hear your chain saw.

Pro tip on leaves: use the underside. The veins do the work. The top side of the leaf is shiny and too smooth. Doesn't pick anything up.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #1093
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
The L.A. mayor today announced that people will be required to wear masks in stores...at store discretion.

One of his reasons was that he thinks supply is catching up with masks now being available 'on corners'.

I still do not have a 'real' one... but made one myself for now out of an old Hawaiian shirt and my daughters cut up ballet tights.

eta: still no TP...half roll left.
Early is best, our Walmart has toilet paper in again and even 2ply. They're still restricting it to one per person, so two shopping trips should last us.
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM   #1094
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Both empirically and anecdotally I can say there's a lot of sex happening.
Even pandas are getting it on.

Perhaps those so worried about conserving the Giant Panda should take notice.
Leave them alone and remove them from gawke eyes and noise and they breed.

Of course thereís no money in that . . . .
Old Today, 02:52 AM   #1095
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Around here it's the birds, noisy mating cries all the time. It's annoying our Bengal so carnage in the near future...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:10 AM   #1096
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Early is best, our Walmart has toilet paper in again and even 2ply. They're still restricting it to one per person, so two shopping trips should last us.
Restricting it to one ply per person? Taking those rolls apart has got to be a real pain in the a**.
Old Today, 07:04 AM   #1097
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

TP was in ample supply yesterday. In ASDA I had had a choice of maybe a dozen different brand/colour/fragrance/pack size combinations. I purchased a 9-pack of plain white 3-ply which should last us a couple of months.

On the way back from ASDA I popped into the local Spar convenience shop to pick up some asparagus and snow peas - the produce section in the Caldicot ASDA is pitifully small and understocked - and saw that they too had ample TP in a range of pack sizes.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:07 AM   #1098
catsmate
No longer the 1

Shockingly the Courgette Crisis continues. Day three, how will we cope. But Easter Eggs are plentiful and ice-cream choice is back to normal. GardaŪ around asking people why theu're out and about.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:07 AM   #1099
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Shockingly the Courgette Crisis continues. Day three, how will we cope. But Easter Eggs are plentiful and ice-cream choice is back to normal. GardaŪ around asking people why theu're out and about.
Maybe all the courgettes have been sent to the UK. There were plenty in ASDA yesterday.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:26 AM   #1100
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Maybe all the courgettes have been sent to the UK. There were plenty in ASDA yesterday.
Sounds reasonable, one of them's in my fridge.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:11 AM   #1101
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I had to look up "courgette". Oh, zucchini. Why don't you just grow them? It's easier than not growing them, once you stick a seed in the ground.
Old Today, 12:41 PM   #1102
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I had to look up "courgette". Oh, zucchini. Why don't you just grow them? It's easier than not growing them, once you stick a seed in the ground.
So I believe. And that will be done.However it'll take a while to manage this and in the meantime Housemate3 wants courgettes. And as she's the principal, and best, cook atm I attempt to accede to her foibles...
Old Today, 01:13 PM   #1103
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Early April and still the risk of frost in the UK. Too early for planting I'd guess.

Meanwhile ... no shortage of anything in our obscure corner of Greece. But I picture the local minimarkets being supplied with pasta and rice etc. by regional depots, which are supplied by national depots, which are supplied by ... ? Are we living/depending on a buffer of reserves?
Old Today, 02:51 PM   #1104
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

A. In Australia they are called bogans, and
2. Eewww no way
Made me look!
Old Today, 03:11 PM   #1105
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I gather seeds are getting hard to find, but I imagine if you bought a zucchini or two at the supermarket and took out the seeds before eating them you could probably plant them. Or if you're patient wait until summer when people start putting them out in front of their houses with a "free" sign. My experience with zukes is that they're harder to stop than to start.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:16 PM   #1106
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I gather seeds are getting hard to find, but I imagine if you bought a zucchini or two at the supermarket and took out the seeds before eating them you could probably plant them. Or if you're patient wait until summer when people start putting them out in front of their houses with a "free" sign. My experience with zukes is that they're harder to stop than to start.
Give it a try though, if I recall, many seeds in supermarket produce are sterilized by the processes that keep bad stuff out.

Might have better luck at a farmer's market or other farm-to-fork route.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:25 PM   #1107
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Made me look!
Cheers. I nearly inserted a dic link, but people have more time these days to do Bear Hunts.
Old Today, 03:31 PM   #1108
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

You can start courgettes/zucchini in the UK now, but start them off in pots inside.

I've noticed edible plant seeds selling out. Fortunately being an obsessive grower of edible plants, I already have a stash of about 2000 packets (of every type of edible plant I was able to obtain, not just courgettes). Most are past date, but will still come up.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:34 PM   #1109
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Give it a try though, if I recall, many seeds in supermarket produce are sterilized by the processes that keep bad stuff out.

Might have better luck at a farmer's market or other farm-to-fork route.
And the ones at the supermarket are immature. Mature, so the seeds will grow, they are about a meter long.
Old Today, 03:39 PM   #1110
EHocking
Philosopher

And the ones at the supermarket are immature. Mature, so the seeds will grow, they are about a meter long.
I’ve always had luck growing capsicums (bell pepper) or chillis from seed from supermarket berries.
Old Today, 03:49 PM   #1111
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I’ve always had luck growing capsicums (bell pepper) or chillis from seed from supermarket berries.
We planted an apple tree from a seed that came out of a grocery store apple.

It took 16 years before it started making apples, but it finally started producing fruit two years ago.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:29 PM   #1112
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Iíve always had luck growing capsicums (bell pepper) or chillis from seed from supermarket berries.
Those are reasonably mature; at least full sized. Especially if they've turned red at all. Six to twelve inch zuchs are not.

Back in our gardening days we once cut into a zuch that had very firm orange flesh and no seeds. It had apparently been fertilized by the neighboring pumpkin plants. Punkinni!

We had a baking potato a couple of weeks ago that had started sprouting from the eyes. I was tempted to take it out and plant it but we ate it instead.
Old Today, 05:31 PM   #1113
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
We planted an apple tree from a seed that came out of a grocery store apple.

It took 16 years before it started making apples, but it finally started producing fruit two years ago.
When we bought this place, there were about two dozen apple trees and assorted other fruits in addition. Now we went and planted a house where the orchard was.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events