IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , kanye west , racism charges

Old 14th October 2018, 12:28 PM   #121
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by River View Post
Is Herschel Walker also experiencing some sort of mental episode to express this about Kanye?
You do know what a non sequitur is, right?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2018, 10:16 PM   #122
Bogative
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Does anyone consider what happened at the WH as normal behavior? West supposedly went there to discuss prison reforms. Did that occur? No. Instead this happened:

(Forbes.com)
West may not have articulated his reference to the 13th amendment in a way that most people would understand without doing some digging into what he meant. Or, this is something the media could have explained rather than calling him a "token Negro."

I'll bold the part he's referring to while speaking with Trump
Quote:
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."
From what he's said in the past, I believe he doesn't think it's fair to keep imprisoning black men and allowing private corporations to profit off of their labor while in prison. Kinda like how the left is always decrying private prisons because they are profitable for corporations.

Him mentioning the 13th amendment trap door leading you into a room with the unabomber is fairly easy to track down also, but CNN's commentators was too busy dragging that runaway slave back to the Democrat plantation to be bothered with reporting what the references meant.

Ted Kaczynski – a.k.a. the unabomber – is being held at the ADX Florence super max prison along with Larry Hoover, a man many in the black community consider to be a civil rights hero unjustly prosecuted by the government.

But, hey, what does any of this matter when a black man goes against Democrat orthodoxy and supports a Republican.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 01:32 AM   #123
GrandMasterFox
Illuminator

Wait, didn't he legally change his name to "Ye" or something?

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I don't closely follow Kanye West so I can't speak to those incidents. I doubt he caught mental illness recently, like one catches a cold, so maybe those were "episodes". I dunno.
If you caught the last SNL monologue, they talked about him.
In particular, Seth said they wanted to do a sketch with West last time he appeared where he was grabbing awards from people giving speeches.

West said that he actually does that - and that was a couple of years before the Taylor Swift thing.

So I honestly can't say 100% sure the assumption that he was off his meds at the time was true. The guy knew that was something he could and would do - or it gave him the idea to do it.

For anyone to try and normalize what happened in the Oval Office by excusing it as "SOP" for West needs to take off the "must defend Trump and anything he does" blinders. Because this isn't about West for them, it's about defending Trump.
Not at all. As someone here recently said about Rose McGowan - None of this is mutually exclusive.

It's possible that :
1) Kanye had something to say
2) Kanye is mentally ill
3) Trump took advantage of him

It's possible any or all of the above are true.

Does anyone consider what happened at the WH as normal behavior? West supposedly went there to discuss prison reforms. Did that occur? No. Instead this happened:

(Forbes.com)
The unibomber thing was already explained above.

Quote:
“I love Hillary. I love everyone, but the campaign ‘I’m with her’ just didn’t make me feel — as a guy … it was something about this hat that made me feel like Superman,”
(K. West)
Again, seems pretty obvious to me what he is saying here. He's basically saying that Hillary didn't "empower" him but Trump did. Superman is all about Truth, Justice and the american way

Trump was all about "let's make america great again"

He basically said Trump made him feel proud again. It really isn't that difficult to decipher to be honest.

What does this have to do with prison reforms? Nothing really. But that's kind of like the part where you would just shove pointless flattery to the person you're talking to.

Quote:
It was something about when I put this hat on, it made me feel like Superman. You made a Superman. That’s my favorite super hero. And you made a Superman cape. And also as a guy that looks up to you, that looks up to Ralph Lauren, that looks up to American industry guys, non-political, no bullsh*t, put the beep on it, however you want to do it, five seconds delay. And just goes in and gets it done.
(K West)
Again what he is saying here seems super obvious. He's basically saying "F-Word Yeah America!" and that Trump is not about political incorrectness and he loved that.

How is any of that "normal"?
It's normal for HIM.
Just like I would say it's not normal for the president of the united states to dismiss a woman saying it's probably her time of the month... But it's normal for Trump.

It's like people forget this guy had multiple episodes of Southpark making fun of him over the years.

The man is admittedly mentally ill and off his meds, for chrissakes. That 'interview' does absolutely nothing to counter that but does a hell of a lot to support it.
The thing is though, as is always the part with celebrities is that you don't know for sure if his admission is true or not.

Celebs have been known to lie in the past and invent all sorts of crap including lying about substance abuse when they were completely sober and even faking mental illness.

It's possible he is mentally ill, for sure. But to be honest I'm not sure if anyone can actually tell or not.

He isn't as coherent as Tom Cruise babbling off on how dangerous psychiatry is and he is far more coherent than Jaden Smith rambling on about patterns and what not.

I don't recall either of those being mentally ill.

Some posters need to stop trying to excuse it as anything other than what it was: Trump's shameful use of a sick man as a photo op.
Again, this has nothing to do with defending Trump.
As I said, those things aren't exclusive.

It's possible Trump wanted just free publicity

or it's possible that Trump wanted to show he has a black supporter

or it's possible that Trump wanted to show that even the "good" blacks are crazy

Or you know what? It's possible that Trump is so clueless he had no idea who Kanye West is or what's his mental state.

And believe me... that last one was not a defense of Trump.
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 03:56 PM   #124
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
You call that music? I prefer my music idols not to dress up like fancy French water bottles!
I feel much the same about rap and hip-hop, but I also remember my mother and other people of her generation saying the same thing about rock music, so I try not to assume that my taste is the final arbiter of what is or isn't music.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 04:23 PM   #125
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
West may not have articulated his reference to the 13th amendment in a way that most people would understand without doing some digging into what he meant. Or, this is something the media could have explained rather than calling him a "token Negro."

From what he's said in the past, I believe he doesn't think it's fair to keep imprisoning black men and allowing private corporations to profit off of their labor while in prison. Kinda like how the left is always decrying private prisons because they are profitable for corporations.

Him mentioning the 13th amendment trap door leading you into a room with the unabomber is fairly easy to track down also, but CNN's commentators was too busy dragging that runaway slave back to the Democrat plantation to be bothered with reporting what the references meant.

Ted Kaczynski – a.k.a. the unabomber – is being held at the ADX Florence super max prison along with Larry Hoover, a man many in the black community consider to be a civil rights hero unjustly prosecuted by the government.

But, hey, what does any of this matter when a black man goes against Democrat orthodoxy and supports a Republican.
This is nothing but a load of bollocks trying to defend Trump by 'explaining' what you think West was saying and implying that no one could understand it because we didn't "dig into his past"...but you can.

Quote:
"If you're building a floor, the constitution is the base of our industry, right, of our country, of our company. Would you build a trap door that if you mess up and you accidentally something happens, you fall and you end up next to the Unabomber?"
(Kayne West)

This makes no sense whatsoever and manufacturing an "explanation" doesn't work.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 05:15 PM   #126
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs
For anyone to try and normalize what happened in the Oval Office by excusing it as "SOP" for West needs to take off the "must defend Trump and anything he does" blinders. Because this isn't about West for them, it's about defending Trump.
Originally Posted by GrandMasterFox View Post

Not at all. As someone here recently said about Rose McGowan - None of this is mutually exclusive.

It's possible that :
1) Kanye had something to say
2) Kanye is mentally ill
3) Trump took advantage of him

It's possible any or all of the above are true.
All three of them are more than likely to be true which agrees with what I said. Trump took advantage of a mentally ill man who always has something to say.

Quote:
The unibomber thing was already explained above.
No, an explanation was manufactured by someone who gave what "he thinks" West was trying to say.

Quote:
“I love Hillary. I love everyone, but the campaign ‘I’m with her’ just didn’t make me feel — as a guy … it was something about this hat that made me feel like Superman,”
(K. West)
Quote:
Again, seems pretty obvious to me what he is saying here. He's basically saying that Hillary didn't "empower" him but Trump did. Superman is all about Truth, Justice and the american way

Trump was all about "let's make america great again"

He basically said Trump made him feel proud again. It really isn't that difficult to decipher to be honest.
Oh, come on! He was referencing a comic book hero and you think he's trying to say Trump made him "proud again"? I don't think "being honest" has anything to do with this. It's just another feeble "let me 'splain this to you, Lucy" attempt to try and make some sense out of a senseless ramble.

Quote:
What does this have to do with prison reforms? Nothing really. But that's kind of like the part where you would just shove pointless flattery to the person you're talking to.
That makes no sense at all.

Quote:
It was something about when I put this hat on, it made me feel like Superman. You made a Superman. That’s my favorite super hero. And you made a Superman cape. And also as a guy that looks up to you, that looks up to Ralph Lauren, that looks up to American industry guys, non-political, no bullsh*t, put the beep on it, however you want to do it, five seconds delay. And just goes in and gets it done.
(K West)
Quote:
Again what he is saying here seems super obvious. He's basically saying "F-Word Yeah America!" and that Trump is not about political incorrectness and he loved that.
Nonesense. You're trying too hard...and it's not working. It was a freaking nonsense ramble. Ralph Lauren? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs
How is any of that "normal"?

Quote:
It's normal for HIM.
Just like I would say it's not normal for the president of the united states to dismiss a woman saying it's probably her time of the month... But it's normal for Trump.
No. It may not be unusual for him, but it's not normal in any sense of the word. This was done at the freaking White House in front of the POTUS, not some talk show.

Quote:
The thing is though, as is always the part with celebrities is that you don't know for sure if his admission is true or not.

Celebs have been known to lie in the past and invent all sorts of crap including lying about substance abuse when they were completely sober and even faking mental illness.
Can you name any celebrities that have claimed mental illness who were not mentally ill? And have they put on a mental "act" in front of a POTUS?

I
Quote:
t's possible he is mentally ill, for sure. But to be honest I'm not sure if anyone can actually tell or not.

He isn't as coherent as Tom Cruise babbling off on how dangerous psychiatry is and he is far more coherent than Jaden Smith rambling on about patterns and what not.

I don't recall either of those being mentally ill.
Very poor comparisons. Tom Cruise is babbling on about his silly Scientology religious beliefs and Jaden Smith is 14 years old.

Quote:
Again, this has nothing to do with defending Trump.
As I said, those things aren't exclusive.
Yes, it does. In trying to 'explain' West, it's defending Trump.

Quote:
It's possible Trump wanted just free publicity
Possible? Why else have a roomful of reporters with their cameras and Trump doesn't say damn thing except how great West was and how he 'gets it'?

Quote:
or it's possible that Trump wanted to show he has a black supporter
Right. Like pointing out "his African-American" at a rally.

Quote:
or it's possible that Trump wanted to show that even the "good" blacks are crazy
You're really stretching it with that one.

Quote:
Or you know what? It's possible that Trump is so clueless he had no idea who Kanye West is or what's his mental state.
And it's possible that I'll be the next Queen of England.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 08:46 PM   #127
Bogative
Master Poster

This is nothing but a load of bollocks trying to defend Trump by 'explaining' what you think West was saying and implying that no one could understand it because we didn't "dig into his past"...but you can.

(Kayne West)

Just as I suspected:
Quote:
He then read from a statement he said his friend and fellow Chicago rapper GLC wrote for him. West said his friend "puts a lot of energy into understanding historical facts."

"In 1865, the 13th Amendment stated that no man is destined to slavery or involuntary servitude unless convicted of a crime," West read from his phone. "This translates to in order to make a freed man a slave all you have to do is convict them of a crime."

Host Harvey Levin tried to confirm where West was going.

"So in other words what you're saying is they carve out prison for involuntary servitude and you can use prison as a pretext to bring involuntary servitude back," Levin said. "Is that what you're saying?"

"Well it has," West said."There's people getting paid 8 cents a week working for companies that are privately owned and a lot of them are first-time offenders. A lot of them are non-violent crimes."

That riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma was nearly impossible to solve, it took like 60 seconds of googling to figure it out.

I guess it would've been a lot easier to learn on your own but those "must attack Trump and anyone who doesn't condemn him" blinders were preventing you from doing so.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:32 PM   #128
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Just as I suspected:

That riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma was nearly impossible to solve, it took like 60 seconds of googling to figure it out.

I guess it would've been a lot easier to learn on your own but those "must attack Trump and anyone who doesn't condemn him" blinders were preventing you from doing so.
I'll concede this one as far as what West may have been alluding to. But the "Unabomber"? You'll have to admit that his method of delivery was very odd and rambling. He hardly paused for a breath between moving from one topic to another often with little logical transition. His rant was still just not normal even leaving Trump visibly uncomfortable and speechless. And that's hard to do.

Those blinders work just as well for the "must defend Trump and all he does" posters.
Old 16th October 2018, 01:28 AM   #129
GrandMasterFox
Illuminator

Those blinders work just as well for the "must defend Trump and all he does" posters.
No, they are not because you fail to realize that somenoe telling you that Kanye West may or may not actually have a mental illness has nothing to do with Trump.

Trump is a vile human being who I can absolutely see pick a mentally ill person and parade them on national tv for their own agenda or heck I can see him do it just to humiliate them and amuse himself.

This isn't defending Trump at all.

It also has nothing to do with whether or not West is actually mentally ill.

West's monologue seems a bit all over the place, but his intentions do seem clear enough that I can at least understand what he was trying to say.

Is he babbling? Sure. But that could be the result intoxication, just being nervous or probably loads of other reasons. Could mental illness be one of them? Absolutely. But it isn't the only one.

Comparing his speech to some things celebreties are saying these days then it's practically a master piece. Heck, the guy who plays Kid Flash recently talked about how he identifies as a tree?
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 10:42 AM   #130
Imadeyouthink
Scholar

Finally someone actually wrote his arguments. I can understand his position on private prisons, but his talk about the prisoners having 2 choices and that prisoners have a mental illness can be ruled out by psychiatry.

If I can understand at most the lifestyle of the prisoner before he was committed with his childhood followed by influences in the ghetto can make people do crime although many can be associated with mental illness the courts would find these people fit to stand trial. Its the only thing I have wrong with his argument that therapy is the right action or am I out of detail of what he just said?
Imadeyouthink is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2018, 07:47 AM   #131
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

(Kayne West)

Nope, it still makes no sense even with the "explanation," and that's just one line from a 10-minute rant. The whole premise of the meeting would only make sense to a trumper, anyway -- Kanye West has some insight into prison reform because he's black? It's funny watching trumpers try to pretend they don't know that Trump wanted, "Black man supports Trump," but instead got, "Irrational and incoherent man who is only here because he's black supports Trump."
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2018, 08:06 AM   #132
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Nope, it still makes no sense even with the "explanation," and that's just one line from a 10-minute rant. The whole premise of the meeting would only make sense to a trumper, anyway -- Kanye West has some insight into prison reform because he's black? It's funny watching trumpers try to pretend they don't know that Trump wanted, "Black man supports Trump," but instead got, "Irrational and incoherent man who is only here because he's black supports Trump."
If Dolt 45 wanted to consider prison reform, he could have started by not tearing out the entire system Obama had put in place working on prison reform, moved to congress for help as needed, and stayed far away from prison-loving bigot Jeff Sessions.

Of course, murderer and Gangsta Disciple head Larry Hoover can stay where he is, and yes, West still sounded like he was having a manic episode.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2018, 08:16 AM   #133
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I know, right?

Doing google research to translate someone else's word salad is exactly how normal and effective communication takes place.

Expecting people to express themselves coherently is just silly, and also racist.

Do ur research, people!
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics