IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , racism incidents , Ralph Northam , Virginia politics

Old 11th February 2019, 05:34 PM   #721
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And bitter truth is that after a while it becomes a question of how much damage Fairfax is doing to the Democratic Party, not just in Virginia but nationwide. The Republicans are having a field day over this.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:18 PM   #722
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And bitter truth is that after a while it becomes a question of how much damage Fairfax is doing to the Democratic Party, not just in Virginia but nationwide. The Republicans are having a field day over this.
I mean, the Arpio/Moore/King/Trump Republicans have absolutely no moral authority to be claiming any kind of high ground on the issues of racism nor sexual assault, but yeah, the optics do play into the Soviet style 'all sides just as bad' narrative the 'conservatives' have been pushing.

Best case I see is the lt governor resigns, a new one is appointed, then the governor resigns, making the new appointee the new governor.

Not going to happen, but still.

EDIT: And to be clear, that should happen not because of anything the anti-dems say, nor because of the 'optics', but because the Democrats as a party should value taking these issues seriously for ourselves. Although I am big on redemption.

Last edited by tyr_13; 11th February 2019 at 07:20 PM.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:22 PM   #723
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
I mean, the Arpio/Moore/King/Trump Republicans have absolutely no moral authority to be claiming any kind of high ground on the issues of racism nor sexual assault, but yeah, the optics do play into the Soviet style 'all sides just as bad' narrative the 'conservatives' have been pushing.

Best case I see is the lt governor resigns, a new one is appointed, then the governor resigns, making the new appointee the new governor.

EDIT: And to be clear, that should happen not because of anything the anti-dems say, nor because of the 'optics', but because the Democrats as a party should value taking these issues seriously for ourselves. Although I am big on redemption.
As I understand it, no appointments, there is a specific chain of succession. If the top three dems get knocked out, the governorship will pass to a republican that won his office on a coin toss.
Old 11th February 2019, 07:25 PM   #724
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
As I understand it, there is a chain of succession. If the top three dems get knocked out, the governorship will pass to a republican that won his office on a coin toss.
Yup (and it was literally a name pulled out of a hat I believe), which is why I'm for going at it in steps that ensure the people's vote doesn't get circumvented completely.

EDIT: Oh, is what you are saying that even if the lt gov resigns, the attorney general takes his place regardless? That a different person couldn't be appointed to that office?

Last edited by tyr_13; 11th February 2019 at 07:26 PM.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:38 PM   #725
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
As I understand it, no appointments, there is a specific chain of succession. If the top three dems get knocked out, the governorship will pass to a republican that won his office on a coin toss.
Is Michael Bay directing? You'd have to have them all resign at the same time and those offices to be vacant. If the Lieutenant Governor or Attorney General resign first, Northam appoints the successor so when Northam gives up the ghost, there's a solid Democratic Lt. Governor in waiting.

This is kinda how Gerry Ford became POTUS. It didn't revert to the Speaker because Nixon appointed Ford when Agnew did his nolo contendere bit. In Hollywood you get dastardly plots to wipe out the top seven or eight people in one fell swoop so that the gardener of the National Mall becomes president.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:41 PM   #726
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Yup (and it was literally a name pulled out of a hat I believe), which is why I'm for going at it in steps that ensure the people's vote doesn't get circumvented completely.

EDIT: Oh, is what you are saying that even if the lt gov resigns, the attorney general takes his place regardless? That a different person couldn't be appointed to that office?
No. Only if Keanu can't stop the bad guys and they assassinate all three before any new appointments are made.

Gov resigns first... Lt Gov moves up and as Gov appoints a new Lt Gov
Lt Gov resigns first.... Gov appoints new Lt Gov

None of this succession crisis fantasy is going to happen.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 11th February 2019 at 07:43 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:42 PM   #727
Mumbles
Philosopher

Nah, throw rotten food at those guys. I doubt it'd work on anyone who isn't entirely caught up in Facebook-style garbage anyway.

Quote:

At this point, the Lt Gov should also be investigated, since these are outright criminal claims. The governor will likely stay on despite carrying on like a fool, and I see no reason for the AG to step down - he was an idiot at age 19, and has since come clean and apologized.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:45 PM   #728
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Is Michael Bay directing? You'd have to have them all resign at the same time and those offices to be vacant. If the Lieutenant Governor or Attorney General resign first, Northam appoints the successor so when Northam gives up the ghost, there's a solid Democratic Lt. Governor in waiting.

This is kinda how Gerry Ford became POTUS. It didn't revert to the Speaker because Nixon appointed Ford when Agnew did his nolo contendere bit. In Hollywood you get dastardly plots to wipe out the top seven or eight people in one fell swoop so that the gardener of the National Mall becomes president.
Eh, what do I know, I'm an idiot from Illinois.
Old 12th February 2019, 12:07 PM   #729
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Which is why one of the 3 is going to survive. My money is on the Attorney General, who has handled it much better then Northam or Fairfax.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 12:23 PM   #730
Mike!

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
No. Only if Keanu can't stop the bad guys and they assassinate all three before any new appointments are made.

Gov resigns first... Lt Gov moves up and as Gov appoints a new Lt Gov
Lt Gov resigns first.... Gov appoints new Lt Gov

None of this succession crisis fantasy is going to happen.
Yeah, Newt Gianthead basically reiterated your above earlier today. I hadn't considered a lower level resign/replace scenario in the equation. So, while I was sort of right on paper, I doesn't account for clever human intervention and application.

Last edited by Mike!; 12th February 2019 at 12:25 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics