IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags California incidents , racism charges , sports incidents

Old 1st July 2021, 01:23 PM   #1
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Joining a basketball team while hispanic

Basketball title to be stripped from mostly white school after crowd threw tortillas at their mostly hispanic opponents.

Quote:
The California Interscholastic Federation announced Wednesday that it has vacated the Coronado High School boys' basketball team's Division 4-A regional championship title following an incident in which tortillas were flung at players from rival Orange Glen High School, a mostly Latino school.

After Orange Glen's predominantly Latino team lost, 60-57, in overtime to largely white Coronado High June 19 at Coronado High School some members of the crowd threw tortillas at Orange Glen players.
https://abc7.com/tortillas-taunting-...hool/10848842/

Person who brought the packs of tortillas to the game insists it wasn't motivated by racism.
Old 1st July 2021, 01:33 PM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Ok Holup: the lone audience member who brought the tortillas says he was evoking a tradition from the UC Gauchos, where he attended and they have done so in celebration for years. Does anyone know if this is true? I never heard of it.

Second, the players ran a clean game. They are being penalized for this knucklehead in the stands? That **** ain't right.
Old 1st July 2021, 01:45 PM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This thread seems intentionally dishonest and/or provocative.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2021, 01:55 PM   #4
mgidm86
Philosopher

I'm seeing stories claiming that throwing tortillas is not a racist act and is somewhat common.

But let's take a look at the UC Gauchos team:

https://mcla.us/team/california_sant...20/roster.html

I see no obviously hispanic names on the roster.

Hey if Mexicans/Hispanics are okay with a bunch of white people throwing tortillas for their white players then no big deal. Not sure what to make of it myself.

ETA:
Other stories say tortillas are thrown in games after the first point is scored, not that they are traditionally thrown at opposing players after a game, which is the claim in the story.

Last edited by mgidm86; 1st July 2021 at 01:58 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2021, 01:56 PM   #5
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Ok Holup: the lone audience member who brought the tortillas says he was evoking a tradition from the UC Gauchos, where he attended and they have done so in celebration for years. Does anyone know if this is true? I never heard of it.
Me neither, but...google says...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiX1xVdpXWc
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2021, 02:05 PM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Me neither, but...google says...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiX1xVdpXWc

Ok, so assuming the UC Gaucho Locos are known for this: is our intrepid fan aware that he was not at a UC game and this was not a custom here? I mean, in Philly fans throw bottles, but that doesn't transpose to other situations. Then again, if this high school was close to UC, it could reasonably transpose.

This is one of those "really need to hear from this guy" stories. Overzealous nut or wink and nod provocateur? And by "one of those stories", I mean all of them.

Last edited by Thermal; 1st July 2021 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spell check reality hated UC Gaucho Locos
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2021, 04:40 PM   #7
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Basketball title to be stripped from mostly white school after crowd threw tortillas at their mostly hispanic opponents.

https://abc7.com/tortillas-taunting-...hool/10848842/

Person who brought the packs of tortillas to the game insists it wasn't motivated by racism.
OK, so what do you think? Do you think it was motivated by racism? Do you think it's just another example showing the the US is a nation of white supremacy? Do you think it is significant that it was a "mostly white" school?

What were you hoping to accomplish, illustrate, or discuss when you decided to start this thread?
Old 2nd July 2021, 05:29 PM   #8
Warp12
Banned

Well, it's better than throwing Corona beer bottles, I suppose.

"Mostly White School". Damn, not only are they likely racists, but most of them probably have poor rhythm and can't dance. Not to stereotype..because that is bad, right?

Last edited by Warp12; 2nd July 2021 at 05:30 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2021, 12:57 PM   #9
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
OK, so what do you think? Do you think it was motivated by racism? Do you think it's just another example showing the the US is a nation of white supremacy? Do you think it is significant that it was a "mostly white" school?

What were you hoping to accomplish, illustrate, or discuss when you decided to start this thread?
Didn't think I had to show my work, throwing tortillas at Hispanic students is obviously a racist taunt.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events