IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hyperbolic rhetoric , Nazi comparisons , Occupy movement

Old 21st January 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
dc1971
Banned

Yes, the Occupy Movement crossed the line - there I said it!

One phrase jumps out at you on this blog...

I will give you a hint, the phrase contains a word that rhymes with "HOT-Z"!

And using this word to describe Obama is only putting the Occupy Movement at the level of the Tea Party! What's next? Misspelled hyperboles?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...-up-completely
dc1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2012, 04:42 PM   #2
crimresearch
Alumbrado

Movements come with that problem built in.

Borrowing from arithmetic, I call it the 'SCD'. (Stupidest Common Denominator).
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2012, 05:19 PM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's not the incoherence, it's not the violence, it's not the headlong societal collapse, oh no: The Occupy Movement crosses the line when it attacks Obama.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

I'd of thought those "Woman is the [racist word for black person] of the world" signs would have been a bigger problem in Harlem. God, I'm kinda hoping one of them did bring that sign.

Did you read the responses from the passersby? Pretty awesome.
Old 21st January 2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's not the incoherence, it's not the violence, it's not the headlong societal collapse, oh no: The Occupy Movement crosses the line when it attacks Obama.
Except that the OP clearly took exception at the loon factor of the criticism, not the Obama part.
Old 21st January 2012, 05:38 PM   #6
dc1971
Banned

Gee, protesting doesn't involve violence? Hmmm? I was not aware of this tidbit of information!
dc1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2012, 05:40 PM   #7
dc1971
Banned

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
I'd of thought those "Woman is the [racist word for black person] of the world" signs would have been a bigger problem in Harlem. God, I'm kinda hoping one of them did bring that sign.

Did you read the responses from the passersby? Pretty awesome.
Gee, I thought people had a problem with that SONG when John Lennon wrote it back in 1972!!
Old 21st January 2012, 06:09 PM   #8
crimresearch
Alumbrado

Originally Posted by dc1971 View Post
Gee, I thought people had a problem with that SONG when John Lennon wrote it back in 1972!!
Dick Gregory didn't have a problem with it, now did he?
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2012, 06:28 PM   #9
applecorped
Banned

Yoko Ono came up with that title in 1969.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2012, 07:27 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Except that the OP clearly took exception at the loon factor of the criticism, not the Obama part.
Are you sure about that?

One phrase jumps out at you on this blog...

I will give you a hint, the phrase contains a word that rhymes with "HOT-Z"!

And using this word to describe Obama is only putting the Occupy Movement at the level of the Tea Party! What's next? Misspelled hyperboles?
The OP is clearly talking about using the word "nazi" to describe Obama. I don't see anything in the OP that suggests that the reference to Obama can be removed without undoing the point of the OP.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2012, 07:43 PM   #11
crimresearch
Alumbrado

Are you sure about that?

The OP is clearly talking about using the word "nazi" to describe Obama. I don't see anything in the OP that suggests that the reference to Obama can be removed without undoing the point of the OP.
Interesting that others have no trouble seeing the Obama name calling as an example of the irony that OWS is producing the same sound bites as the Teahadists in pursuit of ostensibly opposite goals.
Old 22nd January 2012, 12:16 PM   #12
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Originally Posted by crimresearch View Post
Interesting that others have no trouble seeing the Obama name calling as an example of the irony that OWS is producing the same sound bites as the Teahadists in pursuit of ostensibly opposite goals.
And the same signs!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...llery-1.963426
Alt+F4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2012, 01:03 PM   #13
Neally
Illuminator

Now, don't be to hasty to judge them, as was mentioned near the bottom of the article,
Quote:
Some folks have mentioned that these could be a small band of kooks not representative of the OWS movement.
So there you have it, the catch all excuse for anything and everything that the OWS does that reflects negatively on them.

Last edited by Neally; 22nd January 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Neally is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2012, 02:15 PM   #14
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Neally View Post
So there you have it, the catch all excuse for anything and everything that the OWS does that reflects negatively on them.
Unlike the Tea Party, which took full responsibility for every single hateful and bigoted thing one of their members said.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2012, 02:35 PM   #15
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

OWS lost me the second there was a drum circle.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2012, 02:37 PM   #16
Neally
Illuminator

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Unlike the Tea Party, which took full responsibility for every single hateful and bigoted thing one of their members said.
Yes, unlike the TP that disavowed and sought to keep the fringe out, to the OWS this is unthinkable since inclusivity means everything to them and everything goes. Further, they are too retarded to have an organized authority to say what is and is not part of the the TRUE OWS movement.
Neally is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2012, 02:39 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't have any trouble seeing that, either. Nor do I have any trouble seeing that, in the OP, the thing that constitutes "crossing the line" for the OWS movement, is vilifying Obama.
Old 22nd January 2012, 02:55 PM   #18
johnny karate

Yes, unlike the TP that disavowed and sought to keep the fringe out...
What efforts has the Tea Party taken to "keep the fringe out"?

Besides supporting their bids governor of New York or the Senate, I mean.

Your double standard is hilariously transparent.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2012, 03:26 PM   #19
Neally
Illuminator

What efforts has the Tea Party taken to "keep the fringe out"?
Dale Robertson for one.

Quote:
Your double standard is hilariously transparent.
Your attempt to drag the TP into a discussion of your beloved occutards is what's really hilarious.
Old 22nd January 2012, 03:35 PM   #20
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
I was going to respond to that, but I saw 'occutards' and I knew it wasn't a serious post.

Back on the topic of the OP: Shocker, protest movements gather crazies. NEWS AT 11.
Old 22nd January 2012, 03:40 PM   #21
johnny karate

Your attempt to drag the TP into a discussion of your beloved occutards is what's really hilarious.
Your ignorant presumptions fail you once again. I've never posted anything in defense or support of OWS, let alone anything that would substantiate your claim that they are somehow "beloved" to me.

I merely point out the glaring hypocrisy of those who want to judge one group by the behavior of their worst elements, but cry foul when the same standard is applied to another group.
Old 22nd January 2012, 04:10 PM   #22
Neally
Illuminator

Originally Posted by KoihimeNakamura View Post
Back on the topic of the OP: Shocker, protest movements gather crazies. NEWS AT 11.
Somehow though, the occutards seem to gather more than their fair share, their craziness is more extreme, and even their standard mainstream group activities is laughably lame.

I merely point out the glaring hypocrisy of those who want to judge one group by the behavior of their worst elements, but cry foul when the same standard is applied to another group.
And as I said, the comparison isn't equivalent so the claim of hypocrisy fails.
Old 22nd January 2012, 04:16 PM   #23
johnny karate

And as I said, the comparison isn't equivalent so the claim of hypocrisy fails.
And saying something makes it automatically true!
Old 22nd January 2012, 04:33 PM   #24
crimresearch
Alumbrado

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
OWS lost me the second there was a drum circle.
Same here. And the Tea Party lost me the second there was a 'Party'
Old 22nd January 2012, 05:23 PM   #25
crimresearch
Alumbrado

"And as I said, the comparison isn't equivalent so the claim of hypocrisy fails."

Ah yes, the famous Cleopatra fallacy.
Old 22nd January 2012, 08:12 PM   #26
Neally
Illuminator

And saying something makes it automatically true!
No, the rationale I gave in post 16 makes it true.
Old 22nd January 2012, 09:59 PM   #27
crimresearch
Alumbrado

You *rationalized*, but gave no rationale.
Old 22nd January 2012, 10:00 PM   #28
johnny karate

Except that what you alleged in that post turned out to be slightly less than factual. The Tea Party have not only not "disavowed" their fringe element, they have it run for office.

Both the Tea Party and OWS have members doing ridiculous things. But according to you, it's only the OWS that gets judged as whole by what their most ridiculous members do.
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:57 AM   #29
Neally
Illuminator

Except that what you alleged in that post turned out to be slightly less than factual. The Tea Party have not only not "disavowed" their fringe element, they have it run for office.
Yet I gave you an example and you ignored it. Other examples exist, but again this isn't about the TP as much as you'd like it to be in order to somehow minimize stupid stuff that happens in OWS. Trying to drive the thread off topic into some sort of hypocritical comparison to the TP as some sort of defense of the stupid stuff they do is a transparent failure.
Originally Posted by crimresearch
You *rationalized*, but gave no rationale.
What part of "they are too retarded to have an organized authority to say what is and is not part of the the TRUE OWS movement." do you not understand?
What part of "inclusivity means everything to them" do you not understand?

The abundance and continuing negative events that plague OWS and the defense of the OWS apologists use that "those don't represent the real OWS" has been discussed in the forum extensively. This latest event and that same defense is yet another example.
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:44 AM   #30
johnny karate

Yet I gave you an example and you ignored it.
It only takes one counter example to prove you wrong. I provided two.
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:28 PM   #31
crimresearch
Alumbrado

Yet I gave you an example and you ignored it. Other examples exist, but again this isn't about the TP as much as you'd like it to be in order to somehow minimize stupid stuff that happens in OWS. Trying to drive the thread off topic into some sort of hypocritical comparison to the TP as some sort of defense of the stupid stuff they do is a transparent failure.
What part of "they are too retarded to have an organized authority to say what is and is not part of the the TRUE OWS movement." do you not understand?
What part of "inclusivity means everything to them" do you not understand?

The abundance and continuing negative events that plague OWS and the defense of the OWS apologists use that "those don't represent the real OWS" has been discussed in the forum extensively. This latest event and that same defense is yet another example.
What part of 'Use the flipping dictionary before you misuse words', do you not understand?
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:57 PM   #32
Neally
Illuminator

It only takes one counter example to prove you wrong. I provided two.
You asked for what efforts has the Tea Party taken to "keep the fringe out". I provided you with one which you ignored. You're the one that has failed here, in both trying to excuse the occutards by derailing the topic, and in the very claim of hypocrisy .

What part of 'Use the flipping dictionary before you misuse words', do you not understand?
I gave the rationale, reasons. That you cannot comprehend them and continue to try to derail the thread with your trolling comments is not my problem.
Old 23rd January 2012, 01:25 PM   #33
crimresearch
Alumbrado

"I gave the rationale, reasons. That you cannot comprehend them and continue to try to derail the thread with your trolling comments is not my problem."

Your whining aside, what you posted was a lame rationalization that has already been debunked by facts.

You still have not given an actual rationale relevant to your claims. Did you seriously believe that on a skeptic's forum, no one would call you on it?

Just because words start with the same letters doesn't mean that they are interchangeable.
Old 23rd January 2012, 01:49 PM   #34
Neally
Illuminator

You still have not given an actual rationale relevant to your claims.
I've already repeated it and quoted myself. That you still claim I haven't made my case without actually responding to what I said, clearly shows that you are more interested in trolling comments than dealing with the issues.
Old 23rd January 2012, 01:52 PM   #35
johnny karate

You asked for what efforts has the Tea Party taken to "keep the fringe out".
My question was rhetorical, and sarcastically so. You'll notice I followed it up by pointing out that the so-called "keep the fringe out" Tea Party supports bigots and whackjobs for candidacy of major political offices.

The OWS certainly has it's share of fringe elements, but as far as I can tell the guy who pissed in the church didn't run for governor of New York with OWS backing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics