IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags media criticism , Nazi comparisons , Pat Oliphant , political cartoons

Old 27th March 2009, 12:39 PM   #1
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

Holy Carp. Oliphant?

I don't know what to say about this one.

March 25, 2009 Washington Post editorial cartoon, from Oliphant:

http://wpcomics.washingtonpost.com/c...po/2009/03/25/

Um. What?
NoZed Avenger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 01:29 PM   #2
BPSCG
Penultimate Amazing

Link doesn't work.
BPSCG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 01:46 PM   #3
tomwaits
Master Poster

Works for me. Here's the picture:

And yes, this cartoon is rediculous.

ETA: By the way, the small figure on the right says "Gaza" on it.

Last edited by tomwaits; 27th March 2009 at 01:52 PM.
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Skeptic
Banned

Oliphant had lost it a looooooooooong time ago.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 02:01 PM   #5
madurobob
Philosopher

OK, I way to thick to figure this out on my own without labels. What's the headless soldier s'posed to represent?
Old 27th March 2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Skeptic
Banned

Probably (due to the raised right arm) a Nazi, because EVERYBODY knows "the Zionists are just like the Nazis", you know.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 02:14 PM   #7
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
OK, I way to thick to figure this out on my own without labels. What's the headless soldier s'posed to represent?
Y'know, I am not sure.

My first impression was that the raised arm and goose-step was supposed to invoke Nazis, but . . . looking at it, I went to a WTH?! conclusion. Which is to say, I really don't know. But I could easily see this image as a poster put up around, oh, say . . . 1938 or so.

Is it me, or is it a WTH?! moment?

I'm going with WTH?! for now.
NoZed Avenger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 02:16 PM   #8
tomwaits
Master Poster

Originally Posted by NoZed Avenger View Post
Y'know, I am not sure.

My first impression was that the raised arm and goose-step was supposed to invoke Nazis, but . . . looking at it, I went to a WTH?! conclusion. Which is to say, I really don't know. But I could easily see this image as a poster put up around, oh, say . . . 1938 or so.

Yeah, the goose-step makes it look like a nazi, but then what's with the sword? And why does the Star of David look like a shark on a unicycle? WTF is going on in this cartoon?
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 02:18 PM   #9
madurobob
Philosopher

Y'know, I am not sure.

Me too. I tried to see "Nazi" in there, but I knew any middle school illustrator could draw a more convincing headless Nazi soldier. So, yeah, WTF?
Old 27th March 2009, 03:14 PM   #10
applecorped
Banned

I think the soldier is the U.S. (helping Israel out by holding it up and pushing it forward).
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 03:36 PM   #11
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

lol wut?
Old 27th March 2009, 03:37 PM   #12
BPSCG
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, it looks like a headless muscle-boy goose-stepping while pushing a barracuda's head superimposed on a Star of David on a unicycle that's chasing a Gazan.

I was going to remark that the use of the Star of David marks it as anti-semitic, else he'd have used an Israeli flag.

But really, the thing is completely incoherent, beyond saying, "Israel bad, Gaza victims." It looks like a parody of the kind of anti-Israel cartoons you see in the middle eastern Muslim press.

And where's his trademark wisecracking penguin?
BPSCG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 03:38 PM   #13
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by tomwaits View Post
Works for me. Here's the picture:

And yes, this cartoon is rediculous.
Ridiculous, eh? Not really. Political cartoons make a habit of over exaggerating to highlight or make a point. That is the entire purpose of caricature.
Quote:
ETA: By the way, the small figure on the right says "Gaza" on it.
Well, it's a little, insiginficant piece of real estate.

I find the little baby carriage wheel on the Star of David humorous in the term of absurd.

By the way people, the Wehrmacht of 1936-1945 vintage is not the only armed force that goose stepped. Also, the Nazis didn't use swords to fight. Last time I saw, in person, the changing of the guard at the Russian War Memorial in West Berlin, the goosestep was what was used by the Red Army Soldiers doing their ceremonial thing.

The headless IDF (or is it the heedless IDF?), not sure which Oliphant is trying to depict, is as worthy of ridicule as any armed force on the planet. Why should they get special, kid glove treatment from the press?

My own armed service took its share of assholiness from the press, and probably will continue to do so as time goes on.

Too easy a target.

Quote:
And where's his trademark wisecracking penguin?
Good question. Maybe he wasn't impressed with Oliphant's muse this time.

DR
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis

Last edited by Darth Rotor; 27th March 2009 at 03:42 PM.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 04:36 PM   #14
tomwaits
Master Poster

Obviously political cartoons are meant as caricatures, but this goes beyond caricature into Dada territory. A Star of David shark on a unicycle being pushed by a headless goose-stepping soldier with a sword? I mean, seriously, WTF?! It just seems like random images.
Old 27th March 2009, 04:44 PM   #15
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

I'm going to say that the sword is a phallic symbol. Just because.

Ah, and the unicycle means that Israel is precariously balanced and remains steady by military force, which is generally random because the soldier has no head, and goes after useless little nobodies.

Last edited by Tsukasa Buddha; 27th March 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 04:57 PM   #16
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Ah, and the unicycle means that Israel is precariously balanced and remains steady by military force, which is generally random because the soldier has no head, and goes after useless little nobodies.
Hey, that's quite good. I knew I should have gone to symbolism school
Old 27th March 2009, 05:19 PM   #17
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Storm in a Teapot, it seems:

Quote:
The fanged Star of David that preyed on Gaza
Last update - 11:47 26/03/2009

Jewish groups slam 'hideously anti-Semitic' cartoon on Gaza
By Haaretz Service and The Associated Press

The Simon Wiesenthal Center, the group founded by a famed Nazi hunter which has more than 400,000 members in the United States, says the cartoon denigrates and demonizes Israel and mimics the Nazi propaganda.

It called on The New York Times and other media groups to remove the cartoon from their Web sites. [More]
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 05:24 PM   #18
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

Apparently the Nazis did have ceremonial swords, as do some of our corps, http://i3.iofferphoto.com/img/item/6.../swordNazi.jpg , but that cartoon still boggles the mind.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 05:26 PM   #19
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jeff Corey View Post
Apparently the Nazis did have ceremonial swords, as do some of our corps, http://i3.iofferphoto.com/img/item/6.../swordNazi.jpg , but that cartoon still boggles the mind.

Maybe Israel and the Arab/Persian world could unite based on the shared enemy.

Last edited by Oliver; 27th March 2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Hyperlink added
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 07:02 PM   #20
Policenaut
Infidel Defiler

This guy should learn simplicity. That's what made the Mohammad bomb cartoon so great. Everyone understood it without having a degree in symbology.

Yes that was a Boondock Saints reference.
Policenaut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2009, 08:38 PM   #21
Kthulhut Fhtagn
Graduate Poster

Holy Carp?

?
-- Everything starts somewhere, although many physicists disagree. There is the constant desire to find out where - where is the point where it all began...The philosopher Didactylos suggested an alternative hypothesis: 'things just happen, what the hell'.
Kthulhut Fhtagn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2009, 04:27 AM   #22
Skeptic
Banned

Originally Posted by tomwaits View Post
A Star of David shark on a unicycle being pushed by a headless goose-stepping soldier with a sword?
Oh, come on, EVERYBODY knows what THAT means. It's obvious!

It means... er...

...well, "Jews bad", but apart from that, it's anyone's guess.
Old 28th March 2009, 06:45 AM   #23
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

How about: The headless (since Obama) U.S. is guiding the Israelis to do the U.S.'s bidding , against the Palestinians/Arabs?

But I think trying to figure out what a philsopher or poet means is a waste of time. Try Nostradamus' stuff for an entertaining exercise.
Old 28th March 2009, 07:59 AM   #24
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
By the way people, the Wehrmacht of 1936-1945 vintage is not the only armed force that goose stepped. Also, the Nazis didn't use swords to fight.
I think that the "Israel as Nazis" meme is common enough where this is the most likely interpretation. The sword is symbolic DR.
Old 28th March 2009, 08:38 AM   #25
gdnp

Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post

It means... er...

For once we agree. Although I would say "Israel's treatment of Gaza is bad", but apart from that it's anyone's guess.
gdnp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2009, 09:02 AM   #26
BPSCG
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by skeptic
Originally Posted by gdnp View Post
For once we agree. Although I would say "Israel's treatment of Gaza is bad", but apart from that it's anyone's guess.
Note that it's a Star of David that's been made into a shark (or a barracuda - hard to tell), not the flag of Israel. So it's probably fair to say this is a slam against Jews, not just Israel.

Though the whole thing is so incoherent, it's pretty hard to figure out what the Hades he meant.
Old 28th March 2009, 09:02 AM   #27
quarky
Banned

Nazis aren't the only goose-steppers. Its a popular military look in many countries.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2009, 11:46 AM   #28
Skeptic
Banned

Of course, one can imagine the reaction if he had a barracuda-like crescent...
Old 28th March 2009, 12:11 PM   #29
tomwaits
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
I'm going to say that the sword is a phallic symbol. Just because.

Hmm...this seems to be a pretty good analysis. I would add that the sword could be a reference to the crusades. Although the shark/barracuda and unicycle still remain to be properly explained, assuming they aren't just meant to say "dangerous".
Old 28th March 2009, 12:38 PM   #30
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Oliphant had lost it a looooooooooong time ago.
Yeah, he's such a Muslim apologist.
Old 28th March 2009, 12:44 PM   #31
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know what to say about this one.

March 25, 2009 Washington Post editorial cartoon, from Oliphant:

http://wpcomics.washingtonpost.com/c...po/2009/03/25/

Um. What?
You misspelled "elephant".

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2009, 03:06 PM   #32
Thunder
Banned

I think its pretty funny. I'm glad the Jews finally have teeth. =)
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2009, 11:59 PM   #33
Kopji

I love political cartoonists and what they do. Art like tossing a watermelon into the air and slashing it with a samurai sword.

Journalists can sit around for years and emote in text about controversial events without attracting much attention. And then some crazy cartoonist will draw Mohammed with a bomb on his head or depict Israel military policy as being as headless and heartless as the Nazis. There is something right with the world when they can do this.

Seems a little late though... and out of place with the other cartoons from this week.

Quote:
On its Web site, Universal declares that "no one is safe from the acid brush of Pat Oliphant
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5893748.story
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2009, 05:54 PM   #34
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

It means... er...

Ya know, if the Jews and Zionists who founded the nation state of Israel had not put the Star of David on the flag, it might not be so easily transferred to such media as cartoons.

See also how the Hammer and Sickle, on the USSR flag, were often co-opted as a symbol of USSR without being

ON THE FLAG.

Not your best post ever, amigo.

DR
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2009, 06:43 PM   #35
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
...See also how the Hammer and Sickle, on the USSR flag, were often co-opted as a symbol of USSR without being

ON THE FLAG.
DR

I read this over and over trying to figure out if you mean to say that the hammer & sickle are not on the USSR flag. Is that right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fl...viet_Union.svg

ETA: Nevermind. I think I got it.

Last edited by hgc; 29th March 2009 at 06:44 PM.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2009, 03:22 AM   #36
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Interesting interpretations out there...

I thought of Golias(USA) + Jews against Gaza(David).

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2009, 03:24 PM   #37
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
Interesting interpretations out there...

I thought of Golias(USA) + Jews against Gaza(David).

Nah. No one would draw that visual metaphor without a slingshot in the picture.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2009, 08:22 PM   #38
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
I read this over and over trying to figure out if you mean to say that the hammer & sickle are not on the USSR flag. Is that right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fl...viet_Union.svg

ETA: Nevermind. I think I got it.
Thanks for the feedback, I did indeed word that somewhat awkwardly.

DR

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics