IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Campaign ads , gop , John Raese , Nazi comparisons , political ads , political gaffes , West Virginia politics

Old 9th October 2010, 08:31 AM   #41
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
How naive. Did you expect the NRSC to issue this statement?
Well, yes, I do. If you're going to accuse somebody of something, then I certainly do expect to see evidence to support that accusation.

If you say that the NRSC "dissed" somebody, then I expect to see statements from the NRSC, "dissing" somebody, not statements from a subcontractor of a subcontractor, "dissing" somebody.

There's no reason to expect that the client of an ad agency would get involved in the specific wording of a casting call. To do specialized work in their field of expertise. Even if the client said explicitly that they wanted a "hicky" look, the casting agency might very well word the casting call quite differently, to ensure getting the necessary results for their client.

In the event, though, the evidence points to the opposite occurring: The NRSC worded their requirements quite differently, and the casting agency said explicitly that they wanted a "hicky" look.

So, yes: I expect claims made about the NRSC's statements to match the the NRSC's statements on record. Here in the real world, the OP doesn't do that.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2010, 09:51 AM   #42
SezMe
post-pre-born

That was not my point at all. My point was that IF they did use "hicky" and in retrospect realize it was a boo-boo, they certainly would deny it. Especially in the heat of an election campaign. But don't get your toga in a partisan twist, the Dems would do exactly the same thing if they were in the same spot.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2010, 04:48 PM   #43
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
sounds like the wardrobe for "Deliverence". Boy does he got a perty mouth!!!

It's spelt wit a "u"... ya ignant redneck!

Jim (White Trash) MDP.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2010, 05:49 PM   #44
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
It's spelt wit a "u"... ya ignant redneck!

Jim (White Trash) MDP.
And a "d'...

ETA: and that's "ignernt"
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 07:39 AM   #45
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Hello!

I have an update to this thread just in case anyone is still interested.

John Raese who has run for Governor of West Virginia about four times and is now running for Senator of West Virgina for about the fifth time, has once again proven to everyone just how good he is at putting his own foot in his own mouth.

This time, he compared a city ordered 'no smoking sign' to the yellow stars that the Nazis forced Jewish people to wear.

To wit:

http://www.dailymail.com/News/election12/201204200015

Raese blasted for Hitler comment
Candidate equates anti-smoking signs to stars Jews forced to wear in Holocaust

Republican U.S. Senate candidate John Raese compared anti-smoking signs in Monongalia County to a key part of the Holocaust, which killed millions of Jews.

"Remember Hitler used to put Star of David on everybody's lapel, remember that?" Raese said. "Same thing."

Raese, a blustery free-market capitalist, did not back down from his remarks.

"I can't find anything in my statement and during my speech that wasn't true," Raese said in a telephone interview.

He later added, "I'm not apologizing to anybody or any organization. It's my perfect right to make a speech about meaningful subject matters in this country."

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 03:27 PM   #46
riptor
Scholar

Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Ahh.....good ol' Morgantown. How is High St. these days?
It's good. Just there yesterday, it's still fairly busy.

Originally Posted by Crossbow
John Raese who has run for Governor of West Virginia about four times and is now running for Senator of West Virgina for about the fifth time, has once again proven to everyone just how good he is at putting his own foot in his own mouth.
You think he would eventually just give up.
riptor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 05:00 PM   #47
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by Unabogie View Post
Wait, covered wagons move that fast???

yer thinking amish
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 05:59 PM   #48
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Hello!

I have an update to this thread just in case anyone is still interested.

This time, he compared a city ordered 'no smoking sign' to the yellow stars that the Nazis forced Jewish people to wear.
Maybe it has something to do with drink arsenic-rich water downstream from a mine tailings tip.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics