IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Charles Kinsey , Jonathan Aledda , police misconduct charges , police shootings , racial incidents , racism charges

Old 21st July 2016, 11:12 AM   #161
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
He was only hit once, three rounds were discharged by officer Opps.
Even so, my leg would be a mangled mess from an AR-15 round.

In no way would it feel like a "mosquito bite".

Possibly ricochet and debris, perhaps?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:12 AM   #162
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by erlando View Post

Why would a police force meet a suicidal person with raised weapons and orders of "DROP THE WEAPON" barked at them? How is that in any way a meaningful interaction?

So many questions...
On the officer side of this debate, the Dallas Chief had an excellent observation about this. As the legislators cut back treatment for the mentally ill, it falls on the cops, and no they aren't trained.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard cops claim anyone getting shot other than in a shootout it was, "suicide by cop". It doesn't bother them a bit when they say it, as if the victim deserved it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:12 AM   #163
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
That's not what I said.
So what are you claiming then, you seemed to think it was basically impossible that this gun was anything other than semiauto only. So cite your source for that.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:13 AM   #164
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

5.56 leg wound.

WARNING! NSFW! GRAPHIC!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ning-GRAPHIC**

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:15 AM   #165
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Even so, my leg would be a mangled mess from an AR-15 round.

In no way would it feel like a "mosquito bite".

Possibly ricochet and debris, perhaps?
Wounds are weird, like with burns they can be very unpredictable exactly how much they hurt or do not hurt. Got any actual evidence for the lack of severity of his being shot?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:15 AM   #166
Jules Galen
Banned

So what are you claiming then, you seemed to think it was basically impossible that this gun was anything other than semiauto only. So cite your source for that.
That's not what I said.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:16 AM   #167
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

That's not what I said.
So you then have specific knowledge about the rifle used? What did you mean with the constant rebuttal that the 3 round fired could be a result of a 3 round burst?
Old 21st July 2016, 11:19 AM   #168
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Ironic that lack of training and competence ( ... with regard to marksmanship ) of the police officer probably saved the man's life.

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 21st July 2016 at 11:21 AM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:21 AM   #169
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Has anyone in this thread thus far indicated that he/she thinks the victim deserved to be shot?
Applecorped comes pretty close acting like we should brush off an accidental discharge (maybe of a 3-burst rifle round), like give the police free range to screw up, never criticize them for anything.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:21 AM   #170
Jules Galen
Banned

So you then have specific knowledge about the rifle used? What did you mean with the constant rebuttal that the 3 round fired could be a result of a 3 round burst?
I didn't say that.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:23 AM   #171
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I'll ask my brother what kind of M4 he is issued. It may be just semi automatic. But there is no reason it can't have three round burst or even full auto capabilities. Police departments can purchase those weapons if they want.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:23 AM   #172
lobosrul
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Applecorped comes pretty close acting like we should brush off an accidental discharge (maybe of a 3-burst rifle round), like give the police free range to screw up, never criticize them for anything.
I actually would too. Or say well, maybe put him on desk duty. If he had good reason to be pointing his rifle at someone with a potential split second reason to shoot. But he didn't. He was pointing it at an unarmed man with his hands in the air explaining that he was trying to help an also unarmed mentally ill person.
lobosrul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:24 AM   #173
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
The truck could have been loaded.
Since no one died.

You can't blame the police for being concerned about the toy truck - in 2014 alone 11 people were killed by toys and a quarter million of people injured. Why there isn't stronger regulation on these deadly and dangerous toys I simply don't know.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:26 AM   #174
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I didn't say that.
Then what was the constant absolute refusal that this rifle could be anything other than semiauto all about?
Old 21st July 2016, 11:27 AM   #175
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Wounds are weird, like with burns they can be very unpredictable exactly how much they hurt or do not hurt. Got any actual evidence for the lack of severity of his being shot?
I just don't think you can take a direct hit in the leg at close range with an AR-15 round and think it was a mosquito bite, or have much chance of keeping your leg.

Old 21st July 2016, 11:27 AM   #176
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
I actually would too. Or say well, maybe put him on desk duty. If he had good reason to be pointing his rifle at someone with a potential split second reason to shoot. But he didn't. He was pointing it at an unarmed man with his hands in the air explaining that he was trying to help an also unarmed mentally ill person.
Is it accurate to class an autistic man as mentally ill?
Old 21st July 2016, 11:28 AM   #177
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I just don't think you can take a direct hit in the leg at close range with an AR-15 round and think it was a mosquito bite, or have much chance of keeping your leg.
Pain and injuries of all kinds are strange things.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:28 AM   #178
lobosrul
Master Poster

Is it accurate to class an autistic man as mentally ill?
I have no idea, if I made a faux pas, I apologize.
lobosrul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:30 AM   #179
lobosrul
Master Poster

If it hit the bone then his odds of losing the leg are pretty high. Otherwise it can be saved. You might be right though.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:31 AM   #180
Jules Galen
Banned

Yes. I know a young man who took a .45 Hollowpoint through the thigh and...it didn't hurt. Very strange, but true. Thank gawd an artery wasn't clipped!
Old 21st July 2016, 11:31 AM   #181
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

No...They do not.
That's not what I said.
So here we have you flat out stating that many police rifles are in no way anything other than semi-auto and then flat out claiming you never said that.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:33 AM   #182
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Not with these extremely high velocity rounds.

The injuries are pretty predictable and recognizable.

At any rate, we still have a cop out there who should lose his job.

Old 21st July 2016, 11:33 AM   #183
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

This is why I think the weapon (we'll find out for sure in some future news report) was a smaller calibre sidearm, possibly with low load. It may also have grazed or passed through clean.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:35 AM   #184
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. I know a young man who took a .45 Hollowpoint through the thigh and...it didn't hurt. Very strange, but true. Thank gawd an artery wasn't clipped!
Low velocity and probably did not even expand.

Typical 5.56 round is about 4X the velocity.

I still suspect a ricochet and/or debris.

Old 21st July 2016, 11:35 AM   #185
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Two things:
  1. He was laying on the ground with his hands in the air. Clearly, he was resisting arrest.
  2. The police shot him. He obviously cops only shoot criminals, so there.
And a third thing, if a bystander some distance away using a phone camera upon which you can clearly see a grown man playing with a toy truck and hear the victim say, "It's a toy truck," .... how hard is that to see if you are there on the scene?
Old 21st July 2016, 11:35 AM   #186
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Depending on where it hit it's possible. I was tagged just above the knee by a .222 & I fell in mid stride, thought I'd tripped & banged my knee on something. Didn't realize I'd been shot until I looked.

Not saying it wasn't a ricochet mind you, but it is possible to not feel like you'd think.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:36 AM   #187
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
This is why I think the weapon (we'll find out for sure in some future news report) was a smaller calibre sidearm, possibly with low load. It may also have grazed or passed through clean.
Ahh...yes.

That is probably the best answer.

It was a pistol round.

Old 21st July 2016, 11:37 AM   #188
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
I can actually understand cuffing him. People often react angrily and violently when someone shoots them (imagine that).

The rest just boggles my mind. A 20 minute wait for medical care? What, did they call their union reps before the EMTs?
Gee, guess we should be cuffing people in the ED, never know when they are going to slug you if you hurt them during an exam.

Sorry, I'm not buying that, cuff first, figure out the bloody obvious after. Your gun accidentally went off, there was no man with a gun, it was a toy truck!!! How long does that take to figure out?
Old 21st July 2016, 11:39 AM   #189
Jules Galen
Banned

And a third thing, if a bystander some distance away using a phone camera upon which you can clearly see a grown man playing with a toy truck and hear the victim say, "It's a toy truck," .... how hard is that to see if you are there on the scene?
"It was like a mosquito bite, and when it hit me, I'm like, I still got my hands in the air, and I said, 'No I just got shot!' And I'm saying, 'Sir, why did you shoot me?'" Kinsey recalled, "and his words to me, he said, 'I don't know.'"

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...ile-he-n614106

That's pretty-much spot-on.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:39 AM   #190
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You can't seriously think that "Police militarization for the win" is a serious position to hold?
For the record, I thought it was hilarious, and apt, and I fail to see how anyone thought it was anything but a joke.

Sorry Jrrarglblarg.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:39 AM   #191
Distracted1
Philosopher

At five pages in that's quite a reach. Don't you think?
Even taken at face value (that it was an accident, and not in any way criminal) it still doesn't in any way convey the sentiment that the victim "deserved" to be shot.

Maybe this thread illustrates something WRT other threads discussing officer shootings.
Some things are more "obvious" than others.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:40 AM   #192
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Gee, guess we should be cuffing people in the ED, never know when they are going to slug you if you hurt them during an exam.

Sorry, I'm not buying that, cuff first, figure out the bloody obvious after. Your gun accidentally went off, there was no man with a gun, it was a toy truck!!! How long does that take to figure out?
Over 20 minutes apparently.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:40 AM   #193
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The 20 minute wait was for an arrest squad not medical care. He was taken to hospital from jail, not the scene. ....
Are you sure? It's SOP to take people to the ED, not the jail clinic for a GSW.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:42 AM   #194
deadrose
Illuminator

2 (out of 3) of my young adult kids are on the autistic spectrum. One of them is routinely mistaken for mixed-race.

This is one of the reasons I fear and distrust police.

And yes, the local police have not only shot people in mental health crisis, they've also let them bleed to death rather than get medical help.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 11:43 AM   #195
lobosrul
Master Poster

Ahh...yes.

That is probably the best answer.

It was a pistol round.
The odds of it being burst fire is next to zero then, and he really did fire three time. Yes I know such pistols do exist.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:43 AM   #196
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And now you are trying to ruin a mans career for one little mistake.
It depends. First, it wasn't a little mistake. Second all of their actions after shots fired at a minimum need disciplinary action. Third, whether the shooter is fired depends on his work record, but this should not be some little report that shows up in his annual review. An accidental discharge is a mistake of the highest magnitude.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 21st July 2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:45 AM   #197
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
As I said before .. I'm quite sure police did not want shoot the black man. If they were intentionally shooting at anyone, it was the man with autism, who clearly disobeyed anything police said, and had an object in his hands.
If the gun was in burst mode, then it simply was negligent discharge. If it was not, then it was very poor shooting.

As for handcuffs .. my friend was once not let into USA on the airport, cause he had wrong type of visa. They told him that have to detain him until next plane flies, and he had to be handcuffed all the time he was transported (walked and taken by the car) to the detainment room, which basically was a overnight jail. The cop straight out apologized for that and said that sadly it's regulation, and that he can't walk or take anyone into car without handcuffs.

So I wouldn't find it surprising if they were to handcuff even wounded persons, especially if the person is wounded lightly.

That doesn't mean I don't find it ridiculous.
You don't handcuff accident victims just because you caused the accident. Your analogy is a fail.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:54 AM   #198
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
The odds of it being burst fire is next to zero then, and he really did fire three time. Yes I know such pistols do exist.
Yeah, but they're not common, and they're certainly not standard police issue.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:55 AM   #199
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Try reading the article.
He's complaining about the 'another hands up' as if Brown was the only time that has occurred. He thinks that never happens.

Video Shows UNARMED Man With Hands Up Right Before Cops Shoot and Kill Him Oh wait, that guy was white.

Here's a black man:
New Jersey Cops Shot Man With Hands Up, Get Away With Video Recorded Murder

That search took less than a minute.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:56 AM   #200
crescent
Philosopher

Hearsay...of the worst sort.
That's not what I said.
That's not what I said.
I didn't say that.
Okay, first things first: Being cryptic is a poor communication strategy. It does not make you look intelligent, it makes it look like you are trying to avoid substantive communication.

What about my comment was hearsay? I can find multiple sources indicating that many police departments are equipped with selective fire rifles.

I don't know what the man in question was shot with, I am only arguing what is possible, based on how American municipal police departments are often equipped.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events