IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , immigration incidents , immigration issues , racism charges

Old 12th February 2017, 11:01 PM   #201
xjx388

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You noticed how you shifted again here from, "There's no evidence those are increasing," to "Increased deportations of illegal immigrants is a good thing"?
Theres no evidence that deportation of US citizens is increasing. That is the area of concern, not deportation of non-citizens who aren't supposed to be here.
Quote:
You seem to have of thread of embarrassment about your bigotry that you can't quite reconcile.
So now I'm a bigot! Nice. Desire for enforcement of immigration law = bigotry...I guess there are a lot of bigots in the world given that most other countries actually enforce their immigration laws.

Sometimes, SG, a person can disagree with you about something without being a bigot.
Old 12th February 2017, 11:05 PM   #202
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Theres no evidence that deportation of US citizens is increasing. That is the area of concern, not deportation of non-citizens who aren't supposed to be here.
Care to address the evidence cited or are you just going to keep asserting this?

So now I'm a bigot! Nice. Desire for enforcement of immigration law = bigotry...I guess there are a lot of bigots in the world given that most other countries actually enforce their immigration laws.

Sometimes, SG, a person can disagree with you about something without being a bigot.
I'm pretty sure I addressed specifics.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 12:47 AM   #203
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Let's be frank: if the illegals were White Canadians,we would not be having this discussion.
If I met a Canadian illegal alien here I'd wonder what the hell he was thinking. Then I'd assume he was a pot dealer.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 04:02 AM   #204
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
There is no data to point to. You have to live here to understand it. No one, afaik, has done a study on the prevalence of ID-carrying. I can tell you, after living here for 40+ years, carrying ID around becomes an ingrained habit because it's so convenient and necessary. I can list the myriad situations where you can get totally jammed up if you don't have any. You can infer, from the prevalence of situations where ID is required and from articles like this, foreigners are advised to always carry ID on them, that Americans generally follow the same advice given to Brits: always carry an ID. But if you want to think there are great masses of ID-less Americans wandering about, be my guest.

Once again you somehow believe that you and those you know are an absolute microcosm of a quarter of a billion people. How you can possibly believe this is beyond me.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 04:20 AM   #205
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
If I met a Canadian illegal alien here I'd wonder what the hell he was thinking. Then I'd assume he was a pot dealer.
Sex trade would be more likely.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 08:30 AM   #206
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

You have got to be kidding.........
My aunt came to America in 1947, with just such a tattoo. So yeah, not serious about it.

But perhaps the average reader here doesn't know what Auschwitz was. Nobody else seemed to have gotten the drift started by another poster.
Old 13th February 2017, 08:57 AM   #207
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
My aunt came to America in 1947, with just such a tattoo. So yeah, not serious about it.

But perhaps the average reader here doesn't know what Auschwitz was. Nobody else seemed to have gotten the drift started by another poster.
I thought it pretty obvious. But it's a sad commentary on the times we live in when not everyone does.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 09:23 AM   #208
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Let's be frank: if the illegals were White Canadians,we would not be having this discussion.
And?
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 09:38 AM   #209
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
True. We would have sent those hosers right back to the Great White North, along with the moose they rode in on, and nobody would have squawked about it (except maybe to say "Get the hell oot, and stay oot!"
I'm Canadian and that was hilarious.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 09:41 AM   #210
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
And?
And he doesn't expect you to understand.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 03:06 PM   #211
xjx388

Care to address the evidence cited or are you just going to keep asserting this?
There has been no evidence cited indicating that deportations of US Citizens is on the rise, just that it's been a problem in the past.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I addressed specifics.
Sure.
Old 13th February 2017, 03:10 PM   #212
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There has been no evidence cited indicating that deportations of US Citizens is on the rise, just that it's been a problem in the past.

Sure.
So you ignored the increase from 100 to 160 deportations the CA legislator reported that I cited?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 03:19 PM   #213
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Re checking on increased deportations, there are mixed news reports but this one is fairly specific:

Under Trump order, immigration agents raid 'target-rich' communities in Texas, elsewhere

We do know the mother of two who checked in for the 8th year in a row was deported when the previous seven years she was not.
Old 13th February 2017, 03:33 PM   #214
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Re checking on increased deportations, there are mixed news reports but this one is fairly specific:

Under Trump order, immigration agents raid 'target-rich' communities in Texas, elsewhere

We do know the mother of two who checked in for the 8th year in a row was deported when the previous seven years she was not.
I din't find that in your link.

Trump hasn't even been president for a month yet, how can anybody possibly figure an increase in the rate of ANYDAMNTHUNG???

The 100 vs 160 were two different estimates for the same weekend, NOT a camparison of rates.
Old 13th February 2017, 03:40 PM   #215
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I din't find that in your link.
About the mother? Of course not, it was discussed in multiple posts up-thread.

The 100 vs 160 were two different estimates for the same weekend, NOT a camparison of rates.
The CA legislator said he was given information it was business as usual then found out it wasn't.

How is you you read that link and missed the deportation of the mother?
Old 13th February 2017, 04:35 PM   #216
xjx388

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
She was already caught and there was already a process determined acceptable for her to make restitution for it. Now, despite her compliance with that process, she is to be given a punishment far worse than what the crime you refer to would impose.
She was given a removal order in 2013 and then granted a stay. There is no obligation to keep granting stays.

Look, I don't necessarily agree that in this particular case she should have been deported. I can acknowledge some nuance in interpretation and following the letter of the law. She should have been way down on the list. But the fact of the matter is she was on the list and she knew it.

If someone is on the list for arrest because he failed to pay a speeding ticket, I think we all agree that he should be low priority for arrest. If he gets pulled over and the office exercises discretion and doesn't arrest him, he got lucky. If he gets arrested one time, that sucks but he did have a warrant out. Same kind of situation here.

Quote:
Seriously, if most of you 'no mercy/absolute letter of the law' types actually had to live under that kind of system, you probably wouldn't last.
I've done pretty good so far . . . I'm not sure what you mean, in any case. Don't do illegal things and you never have to worry about interacting with the law.
Quote:
It's just that it's easy to make claims like that when you're relatively assured it wouldn't ever actually be turned against you.
I have been that guy that got arrested for failing to pay a speeding ticket. I think the law is stupid in those cases and feel it's not just unjust but a waste of resources. But I knew the law and messed up. Lesson learned. I'm still "lasting" under a 'no mercy/absolute letter of the law' system.

Quote:
Also, once again the language usage in which a person is described as being illegal. Not even hiding behind the 'immigrant' part now, illegal is directly applied as an adjective to the person.
It's just shorthand. It's tedious to type in illegal immigrant everytime. You are reading too much into it.
Old 13th February 2017, 04:37 PM   #217
xjx388

So you ignored the increase from 100 to 160 deportations the CA legislator reported that I cited?
An increase of illegal immigrant deportations. There is no evidence that US Citizens are being deported at an increased rate.
Old 13th February 2017, 06:35 PM   #218
fuelair
Banned

I take it from this you ignored all the actual facts.
Not all that unusual...........
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 06:41 PM   #219
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

This is not really a criticism but potentially it is added context. Many civil rights movements started with lawsuits, and those lawsuits involved carefully vetted plaintiffs. This mom fits the general profile. Obviously something changed in the interim - Trump was elected president. Her felony was of the lowest order, something judges can reduce to misdemeanors and even set aside if circumstances warrant. She has U.S. citizen kids and a husband who is allowed to stay because he did not have a record.

I've known enough of these situations personally to understand the sorrow, but I do believe this woman was probably handpicked to bring on public sympathy.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2017, 08:00 AM   #220
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

It hasn't stopped.

Quote:
Guadalupe Plascencia said she was alarmed when a San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputy asked her to sign papers related to her immigration status.

The 59-year-old hairdresser from San Bernardino had spent the night of March 29 in jail because of a decade-old bench warrant related to her alleged failure to appear as a witness in a court case. During her night in jail, Plascencia said a deputy asked her to sign documents acknowledging that officials with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement had inquired about her.

“Why?” Plascencia asked. “I’m an American citizen.”

Confused and scared, Plascencia did as she was asked, assuring herself that the entire ordeal was a mistake that would soon be cleared up.

But as she tried to leave the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga, Plascencia said she was met by immigration enforcement agents, handcuffed and placed in the back of a van. Plascencia would spend the rest of the day in ICE custody, fearful that she would be deported despite becoming an American citizen some 20 years ago, following an amnesty program initiated by President Ronald Reagan.

“I felt helpless, like I was no one,” she said in a recent interview. “Here, they talk about rights … in that moment, I realized, we don’t have rights.”
ICE is still harassing and detaining Latinos who are citizens.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2017, 12:05 PM   #221
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
If you do meet an Candian illegal alien, get his number,
uh....I need it for a friend.
Old 22nd September 2017, 03:51 PM   #222
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

ICE agents mistakenly try to grab Latino county worker near courthouse

Quote:
Federal agents mistook a longtime Washington County employee for an illegal immigrant just as a nearby demonstration against arrests of undocumented immigrants ended at the courthouse in Hillsboro.

The mistake rattled Isidro Andrade-Tafolla, a married father of three children who lives in Forest Grove and has worked as a road maintenance worker for the county for nearly 20 years.

"It was frightening, disturbing, humiliating and I'm still trying to process being stopped because of my color and my race," he said Tuesday.

"They never identified themselves even when my wife and I kept asking who they were and why they wanted my information," said Andrade-Tafolla, 46.

"I gave them my name. They said they had a picture of me, that I wasn't here legally and when they showed my wife and I the picture, there was no resemblance except we were both Hispanic." The woman in the van had the photo on her cellphone.
It appears that being an incompetent racist isn't disqualifying for ICE officers.
Old 23rd September 2017, 06:50 AM   #223
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

"This is you in this picture, a known illegal alien!", shows random picture of a Latino.

This is the "Oops, I transposed the digits of your license plate" lie for a different scenario.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2017, 11:00 AM   #224
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

These laws are so awful one could almost imagine the challenge being made that they result in prior restraint of merely existing.

I remember one of the many weak excuses for a traffic stop a few years ago was "you match the description of someone we have warrants on."

Well, if I take the entire set of "people the police have warrants on", my best description of what to look for seems to be "anything vaguely humanoid."

I'll bet not a single one of us wouldn't feel a moment of paranoia if we flipped through a warrant list and eventually came upon a familiar-looking height/build/eye/hair/ethnicity description.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 23rd September 2017 at 11:02 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 07:06 AM   #225
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I'll bet not a single one of us wouldn't feel a moment of paranoia if we flipped through a warrant list and eventually came upon a familiar-looking height/build/eye/hair/ethnicity description.

Something like that happened with my friends just after the Oklahoma City Bombing. When they published the police sketches of the two suspects, essentially everyone who knew them both said, "Hey, that's Liam and Danny!" 2-for-2 with the most wanted guys in the US at the time.

Lucky for them they were in Canada...
Old 20th January 2018, 07:32 PM   #226
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Random stops and demands to produce valid papers have started.
Old 20th January 2018, 08:04 PM   #227
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Interesting find. I couldn't make out the audio so I started trying to find some follow-up reporting or something. Found this instead. Interested in learning more.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 08:07 AM   #228
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Sometimes having the proper paperwork isn't enough to keep ICE away.

Quote:
On Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Ricardo S. Martinez shot down the federal government’s efforts to strip Daniel Ramirez Medina of his DACA status. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement had arrested and detained Ramirez last year, then falsely claimed that he was affiliated with a gang and attempted to deport him. He filed suit, alleging that ICE had violated his due process rights. Martinez agreed. His order barred the federal government from voiding Ramirez’s DACA status, safeguarding his ability to live and work in the United States legally for the foreseeable future. What may be most remarkable about Martinez’s decision, though, is its blunt repudiation of ICE’s main claim—that Ramirez is “gang-affiliated.” The judge did not simply rule against ICE. He accused the agency of lying to a court of law.

The facts of Ramirez’s case are extremely disturbing. In February 2017, shortly after President Donald Trump unleashed immigration agents to amp up arrests and deportations, ICE agents went to Ramirez’s father’s house in Seattle to arrest him. (The father is undocumented, and brought Ramirez to the U.S. illegally as a child.) While there, they encountered Ramirez and asked him whether he was “legally here.” He responded that he was—a truthful statement given his DACA status, which he had renewed the previous May. Yet ICE officers detained him anyway. They took him to a processing center, where, once again, he told them that he had work permit.

“It doesn’t matter,” an agent responded, “because you weren’t born in this country.”

ICE then interrogated Ramirez, fingerprinted and booked him, confiscated his work permit, sent him to a detention center, and placed him in removal proceedings. It also purported to revoke his DACA status, subjecting him to imminent deportation. Typically, the government may not rescind an individual’s DACA status without giving the beneficiary an opportunity to contest its decision. But ICE claimed that Ramirez’s DACA benefits could be terminated “automatically” because he presented an “egregious public safety concern” due to his alleged gang affiliation. (ICE routinely alleges that Latino immigrants with no indication of gang affiliation are members of a gang in order to detain and deport them.)
Old 17th May 2018, 08:33 AM   #229
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
This just highlights the fact that the problem is not Trump. The problem is the ******** who support him.

These ICE agents didn't become racist ******** when Trump was elected. His election just (made them think it) allowed them to act out their racism. Decent people would have found a million ways to not let this happen. But these douchewads went out of their way, lying and doctoring and inventing evidence in order to treat this guy like ****. Why did they do it? Because they thought they could. It was only the previous rules against treating people like **** that prevented them from doing it.

Yeah, ultimately Trump is the one who opened the gates, but the animals were already wild and just needed an excuse.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics