IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , racism charges , racism issues , semantics , Trump controversies

Old 1st May 2017, 08:37 AM   #161
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
He is kinda right. I'm not sure saying birtherism was driven by racism is something that can be proven. It can be inferred, but I doubt there is some smoking gun. There won't be a "jinx" moment.
Its interesting on a skeptics forum how so many leftist "skeptics" go on feelings.

But liberalism is driven by emotion, so they can make these desperate disgusting accusations.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 08:40 AM   #162
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
So, not only do you demand an impossible burden, but now it has to be the "primary" reason, whatever that means.

This is a very clever way to never have to deal with reality.
Skepticism requires we ask for evidence of cause when someone makes a claim about cause. Correlation won't cut it.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 08:41 AM   #163
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Its interesting on a skeptics forum how so many leftist "skeptics" go on feelings.

But liberalism is driven by emotion, so they can make these desperate disgusting accusations.
I would like it if you blocked me.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 08:49 AM   #164
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Not to people experiencing it, [SNIP].
This shouldn't be so hard. Who are these suffering people? How are they suffering? Surely you have some evidence other than your assertions.

Quote:
[SNIP]
Not meaningless, just not super important. Do you think there's a difference between shoplifting a candy bar and capital murder?

Some laws are unjust or impractical. Amazingly, we have the ability to rewrite those rules. Ask your buddy Cliven Bundy.

Quote:
[SNIP]
Haha, all you have to do is make your case, and yet we just get these emotional outbursts from you - lashing out against the reality you can't evade.

Quote:
Yes because as a builder he sees the many problems of people working here illegally. [SNIP]
Anecdote. Establish the case. How is that damaging?

If it's simple, you should have no trouble making the case.

Let me give you an example. Smoking cigarettes are dangerous, why? Because they are linked to a ton of health problems. Here is information on that:

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta...s_cig_smoking/

Do the same with immigration. Show me what the problems are.

Quote:
Really, breaking the law to get here doesn't give you a clue to illegals breaking more laws. How about the gangs? How many times have I read where an illegal got caught driving drunk? Or raping, murdering? Yes I know you'll say the statistics are so small, it doesn't even compare with our usual criminals.
Good lord. How sad. You reading stories from you feverish pit of right wing paranoia is not data.

Again, immigrants, undocumented and otherwise, commit crimes at a lower rate than other Americans:

Quote:
Undocumented immigrants generally are half as likely as other people in the United States to commit these types of serious crimes [murder, sexual assault...].
http://www.newsweek.com/trump-wrong-...d-crime-591629

Quote:
Your data is from leftist liberal rags. It means absolutely nothing.
This is such a sad refrain from you. It shows that people on the right are completely driven by emotion. Can't deal with reality, call reality leftist and add a "lol."

Quote:
[SNIP]You would think with people being so racist about this you would have mountains of evidence of people saying racist comments, but you don't, you have people talking about securing the border, nothing else. [SNIP]
Nope. I link facts, studies, investigations. You're running on pure guesswork.

Quote:
By many ways, why don't you go and ask them? Maybe they'll tell you they start by stopping little old white ladies.
Because there's no way they could have overstayed their Visa, right? Only obviously brown people do that.

Quote:
Lol
A typical dodge, go ahead, I've performed so poorly, it ought to be easy for you to put up my racist hidden notions. [SNIP]
What am I dodging, your laughter? That made even less sense than usual.

Quote:
Another lie, you sure seem like you're for open borders, what's the harm?

Edited by kmortis:  1) Fixed broken quote tag.
2) Removed to comply with Rule 12 & Rule 0
Haha, you want me to make your case for you? Hilarious.

You are the one asserting that there is some harm caused by illegal immigration. You are completely incapable of showing that harm.

Go ahead and provide facts to support your emotional bias, and I will respond with evidence explaining why I'm not a proponent of open borders. You were challenged, surely you won't continue to evade like a coward.

Last edited by kmortis; 2nd May 2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Removed previously moderated content
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 08:54 AM   #165
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Skepticism requires we ask for evidence of cause when someone makes a claim about cause. Correlation won't cut it.
Yes, and I'm happy to show you evidence. As I said, the problem is that you will reject the obvious conclusions of that evidence because dealing with social science issues is more complicated than showing 1=1=2.

Your standard is such that, for example, no one could ever be convicted of a crime.

Consider the charge of premeditation. Absent a person writing, "I'm going to kill ____," is there any behavior that could ever prove premeditation to your satisfaction?
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 09:02 AM   #166
BobTheCoward
Banned

Yes, and I'm happy to show you evidence. As I said, the problem is that you will reject the obvious conclusions of that evidence because dealing with social science issues is more complicated than showing 1=1=2.

Your standard is such that, for example, no one could ever be convicted of a crime.

Consider the charge of premeditation. Absent a person writing, "I'm going to kill ____," is there any behavior that could ever prove premeditation to your satisfaction?
Premeditation is the act of planning the crime and there are actions involved. A person can premeditate on a crime without having to know "why" they have a desire to commit the crime.

But I am extremely skeptical about the fact finding process in criminal justice that would likely jeopardize my ability to sit on a jury. So probably not a good thing to reference with me as I am just as likely to argue with any standard in the court system.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 1st May 2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 1st May 2017, 09:02 AM   #167
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Which is why I said logger was kinda right. It isn't something proven. But proving why we do things is overrated.
Which is why I say that your point is pointless, but I've gotten used to that.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 09:06 AM   #168
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Premeditation is the act of planning the crime and there are actions involved. A person can premeditate on a crime without having to know "why" they have a desire to commit the crime.
Look, this is a perfect example of the game you play.

The "why" is that they want to kill someone. That's the important causal relationship for finding someone guilty of premeditated murder. Asking them why they want to plan to murder someone may or may not be interesting, but it isn't super relevant to proving guilt.

That's like saying a person doesn't need to know why they're racist in order to behaving accordingly. This is a pointless game that can keep going back to infinity.

Premeditation is a mental state that can be inferred by behavior. We don't need to know why they want to murder someone to draw those inferences. If we want to discover motive, a separate and not necessary element to proving guilt, we would engage in the same type of inference.

Racism is a mental state that can be inferred by behavior. We don't need to know why they're racist to draw proper inferences.

Last edited by TraneWreck; 1st May 2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 1st May 2017, 09:07 AM   #169
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Which is why I say that your point is pointless, but I've gotten used to that.
The point is informing Parsman of the ultimate difficulty in Parsman's contemplation of arguing assertively that birtherism is "driven by racism."
Old 1st May 2017, 09:08 AM   #170
TraneWreck
Philosopher

But I am extremely skeptical about the fact finding process in criminal justice that would likely jeopardize my ability to sit on a jury. So probably not a good thing to reference with me as I am just as likely to argue with any standard in the court system.
Yes, that was my point. These discussions with you are completely useless because you've invented a standard of proof for yourself that totally paralyzes you for public policy discussions. The fact that you couldn't serve on a jury is exactly the same reason why no one on planet Earth will be able to provide you with the evidence you want because it doesn't exist, nor could it ever barring the creation of some omnipotent super-computer, or something.

That's fine if you want to live that way, but you love to interject yourself into conversations and play this role.
Old 1st May 2017, 09:12 AM   #171
BobTheCoward
Banned

Look, this is a perfect example of the game you play.

The "why" is that they want to kill someone. That's the important causal relationship for finding someone guilty of premeditated murder. Asking them why they want to plan to murder someone may or may not be interesting, but it isn't super relevant to proving guilt.

That's like saying a person doesn't need to know why they're racist in order to behaving accordingly. This is a pointless game that can keep going back to infinity.

Premeditation is a mental state that can be inferred by behavior. We don't need to know why they want to murder someone to draw those inferences.

Racism is a mental state that can be inferred by behavior. We don't need to know why they're racist to draw proper inferences.
I absolutely agree with all of this. I thought this is what I was saying.

You said the following

"Asking them why they want to plan to murder someone may or may not be interesting, but it isn't super relevant to proving guilt."

Maybe I am misreading the statement "driven by racism," but that sounds like trying to prove "why they want to plan to murder."
Old 1st May 2017, 09:14 AM   #172
TraneWreck
Philosopher

I absolutely agree with all of this. I thought this is what I was saying.

You said the following

"Asking them why they want to plan to murder someone may or may not be interesting, but it isn't super relevant to proving guilt."

Maybe I am misreading the statement "driven by racism" wrong, but that sounds like trying to prove "why they want to plan to murder."
Perhaps the analogy was needlessly confusing. I was just thinking of a different context to demonstrate how unrealistic your stance is. Take a different element: motive. This is a more or less direct analogy to what we're discussing with birtherism and immigration.

How do you prove a motive to commit murder? Behavior is examined. History is examined. Who the person was is examined.

Do you think it's proper to say the motive for lynching a black person in the South in the 1950's was racism? How would you prove that? Could it ever be proven to your standard?

Take the specific case of Emmett Till. Do you think racism played a role in that murder? If so, how do you know? What specific evidence allows you to conclude that racism drove that murder. If you don't think it drove the crime, explain where your doubts lie.

Last edited by TraneWreck; 1st May 2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 1st May 2017, 09:29 AM   #173
BobTheCoward
Banned

Perhaps the analogy was needlessly confusing. I was just thinking of a different context to demonstrate how unrealistic your stance is. Take a different element: motive. This is a more or less direct analogy to what we're discussing with birtherism and immigration.

How do you prove a motive to commit murder? Behavior is examined. History is examined. Who the person was is examined.

Do you think it's proper to say the motive for lynching a black person in the South in the 1950's was racism? How would you prove that? Could it ever be proven to your standard?

Take the specific case of Emmett Till. Do you think racism played a role in that murder? If so, how do you know? What specific evidence allows you to conclude that racism drove that murder. If you don't think it drove the crime, explain where your doubts lie.
I would have to say I don't know enough on the subject to draw conclusions.
Old 1st May 2017, 09:32 AM   #174
TraneWreck
Philosopher

I would have to say I don't know enough on the subject to draw conclusions.
It's one of the most famous cases in American history. There is ample information available. It is a discreet, obvious case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

I think this is instructive. I am legitimately curious if you think that case presents enough information to conclude the murderers were racist driven by racism.

Whether you answer yes or no, we will have a great deal to go on. If yes, we can use similar evidence to prove racial bias in other cases; if no, then it's pretty obvious there's not point in discussing any of this.
Old 1st May 2017, 09:35 AM   #175
BobTheCoward
Banned

It's one of the most famous cases in American history. There is ample information available. It is a discreet, obvious case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

I think this is instructive. I am legitimately curious if you think that case presents enough information to conclude the murderers were racist driven by racism.

Whether you answer yes or no, we will have a great deal to go on. If yes, we can use similar evidence to prove racial bias in other cases; if no, then it's pretty obvious there's not point in discussing any of this.
Sorry, I don't know enough on this case to have an opinion on it. I'm obviously familiar with it, but that isn't the same thing. Maybe later I can read up on it and get back to you.
Old 1st May 2017, 10:50 AM   #176
Mumbles
Philosopher

No, it's hardball politics, but since you see a racist around every corner.....
First, "racist" and "hardball" are not mutually exclusive, so that's not even a defense.

ASecond, there's a very long history of trying to deny the "american-ness" of black Americans, and birtherism - the belief that Obama is not American despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary - falls directly in line with that tradition.

Quote:
Besides, if someone supports a racist organisation like black lives matter, it's a good bet they're a racist.
At this point, I think we can safely say that either you have no idea what BLM is about, or you have no idea what racism is - or both. No matter how much you insist otherwise, being against police brutality is not racism.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 10:57 AM   #177
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
First, "racist" and "hardball" are not mutually exclusive, so that's not even a defense.
But it is a fact and you're just guessing.
Quote:
ASecond, there's a very long history of trying to deny the "american-ness" of black Americans, and birtherism - the belief that Obama is not American despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary - falls directly in line with that tradition.
so it must be racism.

Quote:
At this point, I think we can safely say that either you have no idea what BLM is about, or you have no idea what racism is - or both. No matter how much you insist otherwise, being against police brutality is not racism.
Except the high profile cases where this group has been involved, force was justified. No matter how much crying your side does, that force isn't ever going to change.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 10:59 AM   #178
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Did they ever do a study on the racism of Obama supporters?

And yes WAPO is extreme left, only a leftist would claim them not. Just like you used Vox, another extreme left rag. I'll point them out to you from now on since you can't seem to figure it out on your own.
Snort.

"Workers' Vanguard" is extreme left. WaPo is middle-of-the-road liberal.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:13 AM   #179
logger
Banned

This shouldn't be so hard. Who are these suffering people? How are they suffering? Surely you have some evidence other than your assertions.
They compete directly with illegal labor.

Quote:
Not meaningless, just not super important. Do you think there's a difference between shoplifting a candy bar and capital murder?
Yes, the law say there is a difference.
Quote:
Some laws are unjust or impractical. Amazingly, we have the ability to rewrite those rules. Ask your buddy Cliven
We're not going to give you open borders, sorry. Bundy was no difference in his theft than an illegal alien and their theft. Did you think my love for law enforcement was going to excuse a fool like him. And yes, he is a racist.

Quote:
Haha, all you have to do is make your case, and yet we just get these emotional outbursts from you - lashing out against the reality you can't evade.
We've already established you aren't in reality with your thinking there's a racist around every corner.

Quote:
Anecdote. Establish the case. How is that damaging?

If it's simple, you should have no trouble making the case.

Let me give you an example. Smoking cigarettes are dangerous, why? Because they are linked to a ton of health problems. Here is information on that:

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta...s_cig_smoking/

Do the same with immigration. Show me what the problems are.
No I don't think I will, plenty of studies and opinions on both sides, you've proven to only believe your made up chosen narrative. I'm not wasting my time. Plenty of googling for you to study it.

Quote:

Good lord. How sad. You reading stories from you feverish pit of right wing paranoia is not data.
You've stolen that from me, I've already accused you of it.
Quote:
Again, immigrants, undocumented and otherwise, commit crimes at a lower rate than other Americans:
Yeah sure, and this means we shouldn't enforce our borders?

Quote:
This is such a sad refrain from you. It shows that people on the right are completely driven by emotion. Can't deal with reality, call reality leftist and add a "lol."
Lol
Stealing from me again, I've already accused you of this, try to come up with something on your own.

Quote:
Nope. I link facts, studies, investigations. You're running on pure guesswork.

Quote:
Because there's no way they could have overstayed their Visa, right? Only obviously brown people do that.
Your words again!

Quote:
What am I dodging, your laughter? That made even less sense than usual.
Another dodge, put up my hidden racist thoughts go ahead mind reader. Put up what you think you know. What are my hidden racist notions.

Haha, you want me to make your case for you? Hilarious.

You are the one asserting that there is some harm caused by illegal immigration. You are completely incapable of showing that harm.[/quote]
I don't have to show harm, reread what this thread is about, it might help your lack of comprehension.
Quote:
Go ahead and provide facts to support your emotional bias, and I will respond with evidence explaining why I'm not a proponent of open borders. You were challenged, surely you won't continue to evade like a coward.
The only coward is you, its quite simple that crossing our border is a crime. The height of cowardess when calling people racist because you have some sort of feeling about them. Your first clue would be thinking I liked or agreed with Bundy.

The reasons for not having an open border are many. The law is simple enough to secure our borders. If you want to start a thread on why we should have borders, go right ahead.

Last edited by logger; 1st May 2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:15 AM   #180
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Snort.

"Workers' Vanguard" is extreme left. WaPo is middle-of-the-road liberal.
Am I supposed to be surprised at your snort?
Old 1st May 2017, 11:16 AM   #181
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Am I supposed to be surprised at your snort?
No more than I'm surprised by your complete lack of substantive reply.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:21 AM   #182
TraneWreck
Philosopher

No I don't think I will, plenty of studies and opinions on both sides, you've proven to only believe your made up chosen narrative. I'm not wasting my time. Plenty of googling for you to study it.
Well, I appreciate your honesty and saving me the time of reading any more of your aimless, sentimental nonsense.

You aren't going to make your case, you aren't going to substantiate your claims, you aren't going to present a rational argument - what are you doing on these boards other than trolling, then?
Old 1st May 2017, 11:26 AM   #183
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Anyone that doesn't worship Dear Leader Trump is extreme left.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 11:32 AM   #184
logger
Banned

Well, I appreciate your honesty and saving me the time of reading any more of your aimless, sentimental nonsense.

You aren't going to make your case, you aren't going to substantiate your claims, you aren't going to present a rational argument - what are you doing on these boards other than trolling, then?
You're the one who thinks there's a racist around every corner, the burden of proof is on you. You can start another thread on illegal immigration if you like.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:34 AM   #185
TraneWreck
Philosopher

You're the one who thinks there's a racist around every corner, the burden of proof is on you. You can start another thread on illegal immigration if you like.
Hey man, you already tapped out.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:37 AM   #186
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

The concept of race is so artificial/arbitrary that I would prefer the more inclusive term "bigotry." Hutu and Tutsi might look like the same race to white observers a long way away, but a genocide was carried out based on ethnicity.

If someone says "all people from ethnicity x are cockroaches," is this a racist statement? I am not sure.

I suppose it could be racist for people to hate meztisos or mulattoes vs. what they see as "pure" white or Aryan people. I don't know exactly what would be pure white but under the 'even one drop" construct I wouldn't be white.

The Cher song "Half Breed" might have some truth in it. Two racial groups hating someone because they were half white or half Native American.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 11:47 AM   #187
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Fascinating how you put up the most extreme left "studies" from the most extreme left rags while trying to prove your point.
In your opinion, what publication/news organization could be considered mainstream?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 11:50 AM   #188
logger
Banned

Hey man, you already tapped out.
Really? Grow up. You said I was saving you time, you wouldn't have to read anymore of my aimless none sense. You are the one tapping out. You also have this immature way of trying to turn things around. When someone says they don't want to read my posts anymore, wouldn't that mean the're tapping out?
Old 1st May 2017, 11:53 AM   #189
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
The concept of race is so artificial/arbitrary that I would prefer the more inclusive term "bigotry." Hutu and Tutsi might look like the same race to white observers a long way away, but a genocide was carried out based on ethnicity.

If someone says "all people from ethnicity x are cockroaches," is this a racist statement? I am not sure.

I suppose it could be racist for people to hate meztisos or mulattoes vs. what they see as "pure" white or Aryan people. I don't know exactly what would be pure white but under the 'even one drop" construct I wouldn't be white.

The Cher song "Half Breed" might have some truth in it. Two racial groups hating someone because they were half white or half Native American.
But of course it's not that simple. Rarely do people of this country say "all people from this or that". This country has come a long way from making blanket statements like that, usually its more targeted, people want to go out of their way not to make it about race, as it should be. The left are the ones who are the race pimp profiteers. They use it like a sword, which is a huge reason why they lost.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:54 AM   #190
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Really? Grow up. You said I was saving you time, you wouldn't have to read anymore of my aimless none sense. You are the one tapping out. You also have this immature way of trying to turn things around. When someone says they don't want to read my posts anymore, wouldn't that mean the're tapping out?
At the end of a fight, two people leave the ring. It's the guy still sputtering on the mat begging the refs for help, not the one who strides out with a smile on his face, who gets the L.

If you want to get this going, make a point and we'll go from there. The nexus between illegal immigration and the racism in bias towards "Mexicans" is obvious. You can't just cry to the mods in lieu of making an argument.

Whenever you're willing to try and establish a case for illegal immigration being anything other than a minor issue in the US, we can have a discussion. Otherwise, try and muster what little dignity you have left and get on with your day.

Last edited by TraneWreck; 1st May 2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:55 AM   #191
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
No more than I'm surprised by your complete lack of substantive reply.
And yours was brilliant? We simply disagree, Shazam, two partisans disagree!
Old 1st May 2017, 11:59 AM   #192
logger
Banned

At the end of a fight, two people leave the ring. It's the guy still sputtering on the mat begging the refs for help, not the one who strides out with a smile on his face, who tapped out.

If you want to get this going, make a point and we'll go from there. The nexus between illegal immigration and the racism in bias towards "Mexicans" is obvious. You can't just cry to the mods in lieu of making an argument.
Then post the racism instead of claiming some sort of immature false victory.
Whos crying, my reports are quite targeted and very successful.
Quote:
Whenever you're willing to try and establish a case for illegal immigration being anything other than a minor issue in the US, we can have a discussion. Otherwise, try and muster what little dignity you have left and get on with your day.
You really don't know what this thread is about? You must be a big boy moving those goal posts all the time. If you want to start that thread go ahead, I already know the answer without having the bias of dems needing votes and the republicans needing labor.
Old 1st May 2017, 12:02 PM   #193
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Snipped
So, that's a "no" on dignity.

Again, when you're ready to present anything resembling a coherent point, we can talk.
Old 1st May 2017, 02:24 PM   #194
logger
Banned

So, that's a "no" on dignity.
?
You've insinuated I'm a racist, liked this to a cage match and moved goal post so much, we're miles from this thread and then you somehow bring up dignity. Is that somehow a coherent point to you?

You're the one who thinks tha whole border issue is racism. You're the one who thought the whole birther issue was racism, and yet you can't point to any racist or anything racist. Go ahead tap out!
Old 1st May 2017, 02:40 PM   #195
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Snipped
Still no argument. No reason for the champ to leave his beach house in Miami for a rematch.
Old 1st May 2017, 04:17 PM   #196
logger
Banned

Still no argument. No reason for the champ to leave his beach house in Miami for a rematch.
I don't have to make an argument for this thread as I don't think being against Mexicans coming here illegally is racist. So continue to tap out.
Old 1st May 2017, 04:57 PM   #197
TraneWreck
Philosopher

I don't think being against Mexicans coming here illegally is racist.
And yet you cannot offer any other reason. The mere fact that it's illegal isn't a reason as it used to be illegal for African Americans to sit at lunch counters in the South.

Maybe you should hire a trainer before a rematch. Someone to run you through concepts like "argument" or "facts" or "reason."

Gonna have to be in way better shape before you try again.

Last edited by TraneWreck; 1st May 2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 1st May 2017, 05:24 PM   #198
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by stevea View Post
If you are willing to redefine terms in such arbitrary ways, then anything, except contradiction, can be true, and we can 'fix' the 'contradiction/tautology' problem by merely redefining 'true' and 'false'.

The problem your original quote appears to be addressing is the sort of language distortion that you are endorsing. It's impossible to have reasonable communication when people use these distorted and often loaded revision to semantic meaning.
--

On topic - it's an an appeal motive fallacy that lies at the core of this thread.

Certainly the Trump-ites wish to treat illegal immigrants distinctly from legal residents, but there is a lawful reason for that, and a reasonable expectation that an executive officer would enforce such law. Differentiation with a reason cannot be described as prejudice. Is there evidence of anything more ? (note the "modern meaning" of 'evidence' is not seething bile and emotionalism).
The law in question allows the President to direct the Attorney General to use discretion in many kinds of cases, mostly aimed at preventing the breaking up of families where no criminal activity had occurred on the part of the immigrant (civil infractions like false forms and such aside). Obama shifted policy from a somewhat neutral stance to urging the full use of this discretion where allowed (even as he carried out historic levels of total resulting deportations). Despite the fact that Reagan basically created this framework and Congress adopted it into the U.S. Code a few years later, it was vilified by conservatives as "executive overreach" in a perplexing twist.

That has now basically reversed overnight. People are being taken from their spouses and children and ejected from the country because they told little white lies on employment forms. In many cases, they were picked up because they'd already admitted to the charge and were on a probation-like program to meet with an ICE official every so often, break no laws, have valid papers, stay employed, etc. Basically a punishment that is proportionally appropriate to the offense. Nevermind that I and every person I've ever known does the same thing, the absurdity of this is if "immigrant criminals" who are dangerous is the supposed target, then detention facility capacity, court time, and deportation logistics are now being tied up on people who are not dangerous, pose no threat, and that much less is available to deal with the ones who are.

It's demagoguery, whether he's genuinely racist or just knows society's capacity for accepting a scapegoat, he's willingly creating pain and anguish, severing mothers from babies, to achieve some goal of his own, very likely for no greater purpose than minimally assuage his ever unquenchable ego.

But, in any case, he is not compelled to implement the law the way he is, it specifically allows for him to waive the process of deportation in the event of numerous described scenarios.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 1st May 2017 at 05:27 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 05:00 AM   #199
logger
Banned

And yet you cannot offer any other reason. The mere fact that it's illegal isn't a reason as it used to be illegal for African Americans to sit at lunch counters in the South.

Maybe you should hire a trainer before a rematch. Someone to run you through concepts like "argument" or "facts" or "reason."

Gonna have to be in way better shape before you try again.
It's quite simple and it isn't because it's illegal. Mexican is not a race, since all agree with that, the burden of proof is on you to prove its a massive racist plot to secure our border. Go ahead, it should be easy for you.
Old 2nd May 2017, 06:39 AM   #200
TraneWreck
Philosopher

It's quite simple and it isn't because it's illegal. Mexican is not a race, since all agree with that, the burden of proof is on you to prove its a massive racist plot to secure our border. Go ahead, it should be easy for you.
Haha, you are a character. Obviously a one-note character. The act wears thin at roughly the same speed people got tired of hearing, "Dino-MITE."

Around and around you go.

You made the assertion, you provide the argument. If it's simple, you shouldn't have any trouble making an actual argument and substantiating it with facts and evidence. Yet post after post it's the same silly nonsense.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics