IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Joe Arpaio , presidential pardons , racism charges , racism issues , Trump controversies

Old 25th August 2017, 05:34 PM   #1
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Trump Pardons Arpaio

It's official.

Trump pardons former Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Will wonders never cease?
Old 25th August 2017, 05:44 PM   #2
applecorped
Banned

On the scale of questionable presidential pardons this one is pretty low
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 05:44 PM   #3
C_Felix
Master Poster

Quote:
But...he's fightin' dem illegals!

Arpaio: Stop anybody who looks Mexican, even if they didn't do anything. They might be illegal.
Judge: Don't do that!
Arpaio: Keep doing that!
Judge: You're guilty of contempt.

That's pretty much they way it went, right?

Last edited by C_Felix; 25th August 2017 at 05:49 PM.
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 05:48 PM   #4
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Trump Winks At the Bigots - Pardons Arpaio

America's Convicted Sheriff has been pardoned by his majesty, Donnie Johnny I.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...017-story.html

The hard core 25% (strongly support, according to Rasmussen) will love it. The rest of the world? Not so much.

ETA: I know it's being discussed in other threads. This is important enough to need its own thread.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Cain
Straussian

If you're a Trump supporter, it's OK to defy a judge's order.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 05:50 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The message is clear: Latinos and Blacks have no place in Trump's America. No doubt a FInal solution to the problem is in the works.
And to do this while a Category 4 Hurricane is bearing down on Texas.
Edited by Agatha:  Removed breach of rule 1

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by Agatha; 27th August 2017 at 08:15 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:05 PM   #7
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Pure evil.

I'd be scared if I was too tanned, let alone an actual member of a non-white minority group.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:06 PM   #8
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Trump proves once more that he doesn't care about the Law and the Constitution when it comes to him and his friends.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:08 PM   #9
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
If you're a Trump supporter, it's OK to defy a judge's order.
Yes. That's really the gist of it. It's not Trump's White Nationalism at work. The only concept in his mind is do you praise me? All that matters to him is approbation. Those who give it to him get his favor above all other considerations: above justice, above injustice. He's not even a racist. He's a Trumpist.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:10 PM   #10
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The message is clear: Latinos and Blacks have no place in Trump's America. No doubt a FInal solution to the problem is in the works.
The only people who have a place in Trump's America are those who worship him.

Author Unknown

Last edited by Agatha; 27th August 2017 at 08:15 AM.
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:12 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

There are plenty of us who don't, and more and more of us are getting guns. Just in case.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:19 PM   #12
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If your support is unwavering, the Hair will remain loyal. Truly, Trump is a filthy whore.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:20 PM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Already a thread on this in US Politics. Mods, please merge.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th August 2017, 06:24 PM   #14
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Nvm
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:28 PM   #15
Mumbles
Philosopher

Well, of course he would.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:30 PM   #16
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Yes, it's a current event - but I started a thread where it belongs - in US Politics. It's a US Political Story more than anything.

Mods should merge them - in whichever of the two forums is deemed more fitting.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:32 PM   #17
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

And there's also another Arpaio thread here in Social & Current.
Old 25th August 2017, 06:39 PM   #18
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
I have less than -0- appreciation for Sheriff Joe, knowing folks that live in his jurisdiction and officers that have served or are serving in his agency, but I've got to agree.

More than questionable Governator pardon:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cali...nunez-son.html

In his final night before leaving office, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger commuted the prison sentence of the son of former Assembly Speaker Fabian Nuñez who had pleaded guilty to taking part in the slaying of a college student.

Schwarzenegger announced the move in a batch of eleventh-hour press releases e-mailed to reporters. He also announced he was granting several other commutations and pardons and giving plum government appointments to political allies and the spouse of his chief of staff.

Esteban Nuñez, who was sentenced to 16 years in prison for his role in the October 2008 stabbing death of college student Luis Dos Santos near San Diego State, had his prison term commuted to seven years by the governor. In a statement, the governor noted that Nuñez, though involved in the fight, did not inflict the fatal knife wound to Santos' chest. He cites a finding by the court that it was a friend of Nuñez who stabbed Santos through the chest, "severing his heart."

"I do not discount the gravity of the offense," Schwarzenegger's statement said. "But given Nuñez's limited role in Santos' death, and considering that … Nuñez had no criminal record prior to this offense, I believe Nuñez's sentence is excessive."

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:43 PM   #19
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Wow.

"The tree of liberty..."
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen

Last edited by Agatha; 27th August 2017 at 08:17 AM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:49 PM   #20
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Does he get his job back?

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:51 PM   #21
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Does he get his job back?
He lost the last election.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:53 PM   #22
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Everything you need to know about both men summed up in one Trump tweet:
Congratulations to @RealSheriffJoe on his successful Cold Case Posse investigation which claims @BarackObama's 'birth certificate' is fake
Racists of a feather...
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:54 PM   #23
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

I think the problem lies more with the signal this particular pardon sends, given this particular offender and this particular moment in time.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I do see abuse of the powers of office to treat other human beings like animals (in some cases contributing to their deaths) as more concerning than a single murder, even without the implications on our already contentious national discourse.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:57 PM   #24
Giz
Philosopher

...snip...
Poe or hyperbole?

Last edited by Agatha; 27th August 2017 at 08:17 AM.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 07:01 PM   #25
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Also, maybe it's just me, but I do see abuse of the powers of office to treat other human beings like animals (in some cases contributing to their deaths) as more concerning than a single murder, even without the implications on our already contentious national discourse.
It's not just you. The message here is pretty clear: "I don't care if police actions are constitutional or not, and I don't care if police officers act in accordance with court orders or not." It's a chilling message to anyone who gives a **** about our system of government and our civil rights.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 07:08 PM   #26
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
I'm unsurprised. It could be as satisfying as the narrative that it's Trump's racism, but it's more likely that it's his base and that he doesn't feel that he should have been indicted. That said, pardons are usually end of term things, so I don't think even other Republicans will approve. Let's find out!

And Flake is neutral-waffling, and his challenger approves. Offf course.
Old 25th August 2017, 07:10 PM   #27
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know how anyone can be the least bit surprised about this. I'm not even disgusted. Trump has the power to do it and even though I loathe Arpaio I didn't experience any glee at seeing him disgraced. He's 80, it's a misdemeanor and this move was absolutely to be expected.

It's enough for me that he lost an election.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 07:30 PM   #28
NoahFence
Banned

He'll run homeland security.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 07:46 PM   #29
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KoihimeNakamura View Post
I'm unsurprised. It could be as satisfying as the narrative that it's Trump's racism, but it's more likely that it's his base and that he doesn't feel that he should have been indicted.
I don't think this move was calculated to please anyone but Trump. As far as I can tell Trump genuinely admires Arpaio as a great American patriot (who won't upstage Trump).

Originally Posted by KoihimeNakamura View Post
That said, pardons are usually end of term things, so I don't think even other Republicans will approve. Let's find out!
I doubt there will be much response. McCain won't be pleased but he has other priorities. If a pardon was coming it might as well come now rather than waste money fighting in court for 3 more years.

Arpaio is not a danger to anyone now.

Both the New Yorker and the Economist have Trump covers referencing the KKK.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 07:55 PM   #30
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
He lost the last election.
Fake election.

He was also convicted of criminal contempt. So what?

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 07:57 PM   #31
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

For supporters it offsets Seb Gorka's resignation
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 08:02 PM   #32
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Arpaio: Stop anybody who looks Mexican, even if they didn't do anything. They might be illegal.
Judge: Don't do that!
Arpaio: Keep doing that!
Judge: You're guilty of contempt.

That's pretty much they way it went, right?
Trump: That's okay.
Old 25th August 2017, 08:03 PM   #33
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Poe or hyperbole?
Let's see what happens.............

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th August 2017, 08:04 PM   #34
Civet
Graduate Poster

McCain already tweeted his objections. Trump really sets a tone by using Sheriff Joe for his very first pardon.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 08:04 PM   #35
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
He'll run homeland security.
If so, it should it name to Special Security........

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 25th August 2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 25th August 2017, 08:16 PM   #36
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

This thread is disturbing in what Arpaio was able to get away with and still be elected.

The highlight being his diversion of funds from investigating child sex abuse cases to promote himself.

Quote:
Late 2005 to October 2007 was not a good time to be raped or molested in El Mirage.

During that time, the town had signed a contract to pay the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office $3.6 million for police services. But Sheriff Joe Arpaio didn't use the money to bolster his sex-crimes unit. Instead, the publicity-hungry sheriff's focus, as always, was on political witch hunts and pet projects that got his name in lights.

Victims of sex crimes — mostly children — in the town and throughout the county still are paying for Arpaio's misguided policies. Rapists and child molesters got away with their crimes.
Trump's pardon of Arpaio is one of the most morally depraved things he's done but WTF is wrong with the people of Maricopa County that he kept winning elections until 2016?
Old 25th August 2017, 08:21 PM   #37
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
This thread is disturbing in what Arpaio was able to get away with and still be elected.

The highlight being his diversion of funds from investigating child sex abuse cases to promote himself.

Trump's pardon of Arpaio is one of the most morally depraved things he's done but WTF is wrong with the people of Maricopa County that he kept winning elections until 2016?
Maricopa is large enough that they have all sorts of other news distractions and name recognition alone in local elections is generally good for a fifteen to twenty point cushion. I don't have the stats but I'll look to see if I can find them. I'll bet that the sheriff elections drew less turnout than the larger elections.

Oh, that and there's a large and dedicated (but not necessarily majority) batcrap crazy right wing in the county.

Old 25th August 2017, 10:37 PM   #38
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Maricopa is large enough that they have all sorts of other news distractions and name recognition alone in local elections is generally good for a fifteen to twenty point cushion. I don't have the stats but I'll look to see if I can find them. I'll bet that the sheriff elections drew less turnout than the larger elections.

Oh, that and there's a large and dedicated (but not necessarily majority) batcrap crazy right wing in the county.
Yes. And that he continued to project an image of "Tough on Crime."

Author Unknown
Old 25th August 2017, 10:56 PM   #39
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The guy's 85 years old. I've been sick of his shenanigans for years, but there's no real purpose in putting him in prison.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 11:12 PM   #40
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Behind any and and all Democratic Presidential pardons, amirite ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics