IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Joe Arpaio , presidential pardons , racism charges , racism issues , Trump controversies

Old 25th August 2017, 11:53 PM   #41
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The guy's 85 years old. I've been sick of his shenanigans for years, but there's no real purpose in putting him in prison.
Justice.

Especially since a lot of the depraved things he did were in the name of it, and here he is now being spared from it.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 01:29 AM   #42
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There are plenty of us who don't, and more and more of us are getting guns. Just in case.
I suggest you call yourselves Wolverines.

Holy crap.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 01:50 AM   #43
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

He was convicted of violating constitutional rights. By pardoning him Trump has signaled that people can violate the constitution and not suffer any consequences.

Can conservatives here really not see how dangerous this is?

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 01:52 AM   #44
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Trump proves once more that he doesn't care about the Law and the Constitution when it comes to him and his friends.
He's spent his life as a very rich man in the USA.

What cause has he had to worry about laws or rules?

I would guess, but do not know, that he's broken a lot of rules and a fair few laws and suffered no consequences whatsoever up until now.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 01:52 AM   #45
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Winked? He gave them a standing ovation for patriotic defense of the white homeland.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 02:05 AM   #46
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Yes. And that he continued to project an image of "Tough on Crime."
Well, in fairness to the good folks of Maricopa, Sheriff Joe was getting worse and worse returns every election. This, even with his frame-up bomb plot to gain sympathy, his harassment of opponents, etc...

A think that the county ultimately settled for about ten million dollars (settlements, not the amount sued for) for his various deeds.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 02:05 AM   #47
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The message is clear: Latinos and Blacks have no place in Trump's America. No doubt a FInal solution to the problem is in the works.
And to do this while a Category 4 Hurricane is bearing down on Texas.
Edited by Agatha:  Removed breach of rule 1
Says Mr Reasonable.

PS: Farewell, I assume.

Last edited by Agatha; 27th August 2017 at 08:18 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 02:08 AM   #48
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
He was convicted of violating constitutional rights. By pardoning him Trump has signaled that people can violate the constitution and not suffer any consequences.

Can conservatives see anything that harms conservatives? Not by the evidence in these sub-forums.

Why, here's a thinking conservative and former Republican blogger posting just before you. Surely he'll speak up about the Klepto in Chief.

Holy crap.
Ohhhhhh! I guess not. This is their typical reaction. "Let's deflect!"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 02:13 AM   #49
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

The guy's 85 years old. I've been sick of his shenanigans for years, but there's no real purpose in putting him in prison.
Why not? He can drag his doddering old ass to political rallies and to press conferences. It's not like we're going to put him in a tent in the southwestern desert in 120 degree heat. A nice comfy white collar criminal jail. Far better than the people who had to do time under his rule!

Old 26th August 2017, 02:27 AM   #50
mikado
Graduate Poster

Is he the one who had a prisoner die of dehydration?
Old 26th August 2017, 02:29 AM   #51
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Can conservatives see anything that harms conservatives? Not by the evidence in these sub-forums.

Why, here's a thinking conservative and former Republican blogger posting just before you. Surely he'll speak up about the Klepto in Chief.

Sorry, I was flabbergasted by Dudalb's apparent suicide by mod. I mean, that one flew way above Tony Stark territory. They are going to have to AAH most of this thread to cover it up.

By comparison Trump pardoning Arpaio--not really news is it? Anyway we can say anything we want at this point. Because it will not be part of the thread for long. Chuck Norris hopes to be reincarnated as Joe Arpaio.
Old 26th August 2017, 02:39 AM   #52
3point14
Pi

This would seem to give a pass to any octogenarian to do what they like regardless of the law.

"Hey, I'm over 80, they won't put me in jail" is not, I think, the attitude one wants to engender.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 02:44 AM   #53
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by mikado View Post
No that was the ******* in Milwaukee.

Old 26th August 2017, 02:48 AM   #54
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Sorry, I was flabbergasted by Dudalb's apparent suicide by mod. I mean, that one flew way above Tony Stark territory. They are going to have to AAH most of this thread to cover it up.

By comparison Trump pardoning Arpaio--not really news is it? Anyway we can say anything we want at this point. Because it will not be part of the thread for long. Chuck Norris hopes to be reincarnated as Joe Arpaio.
Conservatives have been arming up, just in case, for over a decade here. (That's his first post you responded to.) I'll let the jury decide on the Malcolm X analogy.

Old 26th August 2017, 03:01 AM   #55
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

America's Convicted Sheriff has been pardoned by his majesty, Donnie Johnny I.
Deplorable.
Old 26th August 2017, 04:17 AM   #56
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

The pardon could trigger a constitutional crises as using the executive power of pardon to allow constitutional violations seems to be very much against the intent of the power. This could all end up in court.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/o...=tw-share&_r=0

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 04:21 AM   #57
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
This would seem to give a pass to any octogenarian to do what they like regardless of the law.

"Hey, I'm over 80, they won't put me in jail" is not, I think, the attitude one wants to engender.
Especially not with all the tontines those people have.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 04:49 AM   #58
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I think the problem lies more with the signal this particular pardon sends, given this particular offender and this particular moment in time.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I do see abuse of the powers of office to treat other human beings like animals (in some cases contributing to their deaths) as more concerning than a single murder, even without the implications on our already contentious national discourse.
Seconded. The 6 month jail sentence he got seems way too low to me.

Really? The guy has been flouting the law for years and you see no purpose in him serving time for it?
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 04:55 AM   #59
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post

Yep, wonder if there is no point in putting this bloke in prison or is that different ... because...?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 05:25 AM   #60
applecorped
Banned

applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 05:26 AM   #61
applecorped
Banned

In before AAH!
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 05:34 AM   #62
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
McCain already tweeted his objections. Trump really sets a tone by using Sheriff Joe for his very first pardon.
Remind me please, was McCain diagnosed with terminal cancer or with growing a spine?
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 05:35 AM   #63
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Wow, just wow. I'm missing the tally of his victims and the tally of the money he wasted.

Why was he never prosecuted for homicide in his self-described concentration camp?

Old 26th August 2017, 08:13 AM   #64
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle
Justice.

Especially since a lot of the depraved things he did were in the name of it, and here he is now being spared from it.

Pretty much this. It's the exact same reason I 100% reject the mercy reasons Germany does not prosecute and jail ancient Nazis guilty of horrible crimes. There needs to be no escape, ever, not never, ever, not no way, not no how, as a lesson to those in the future who may commit the same crimes. You will be tossed away, even wheezing and at age 90.

Granted, a misdemeanor or whatever this is is quite a leap from that, but it's the thought that counts.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 08:33 AM   #65
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Granted, a misdemeanor or whatever this is is quite a leap from that, but it's the thought that counts.
It may have technically been a misdemeanor, but the actions which resulted in that conviction would almost certainly qualify as felonies if he was actually prosecuted for them (e.g., unlawful imprisonment). Of course, that would have required someone in Arizona's state justice system stepping up, which they didn't.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 09:02 AM   #66
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good morning. From everything I have read, accepting a presidential pardon, is an admission of guilt. Yet, it doesn't seem that the Sheriff feels he has admitted guilt reading his rather fired comments against the judicial system. He lost both civil and criminal cases. I've also read that by accepting the pardon, he was waived his right to plead the 5th should he be called to testify. I suspect this will turn into a bit of a mess.
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 09:11 AM   #67
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mikado View Post
Here's a collection of some of his highlights.

https://mobile.twitter.com/phoenixne...63384087334914

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 09:49 AM   #68
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Here's a collection of some of his highlights.

https://mobile.twitter.com/phoenixne...63384087334914

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Excellent summary, I'd forgotten just how much evil crap this ******* had perpetrated.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 10:22 AM   #69
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

He doesn't need to do the max -- which would only be six months -- but a week or so in a cell would give him -- and all the cops who followed his orders -- plenty to think about.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 10:42 AM   #70
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
He doesn't need to do the max -- which would only be six months -- but a week or so in a cell would give him -- and all the cops who followed his orders -- plenty to think about.
He needed to do the max. The idea that society should be solicitous towards someone who has done extreme wrong (and a law enforcement officer who knowingly, blatantly breaks the law and violates the civil rights of others absolutely qualifies) because of his or her age is offensive to me. It's just a shame they couldn't give him 10-20 years on state charges instead.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 26th August 2017 at 10:43 AM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 10:52 AM   #71
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Even after last night's news, he says he's going to have a press conference and that he's "not going down without a fight!"

Dude, you just got pardoned. I wouldn't call that going down. Best to just keep your mouth shut.
Old 26th August 2017, 10:59 AM   #72
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Holy crap.
I had hope that the more moderate Republicans would act to reign in Trump.That has not happened. They are willing to risk American Democracy for their goddamned Tax Cuts. Let's turn the clock back 75 years, let's make Blacks and Latinos disefrachised second class citizens, but I don't care as long as I get my Marginal rate 5% tax cut.
IMHO the Republicans who think this way are begging for America to enter the worst domestic crisis since the civil war. They can take their tax cuts and put them where the sun don't shine.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 11:01 AM   #73
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post

They don't care as long as they get their *********** Tax Cuts.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by Agatha; 27th August 2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: rule 10
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 11:06 AM   #74
The Big Dog

Oh noes, Trump pardoned an 85 year old man.

The fainting couch is soaked with melting snowflakes.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 11:08 AM   #75
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Oh noes, Trump pardoned an 85 year old man.

The fainting couch is soaked with melting snowflakes.
If Arapiao had been sentenced, and then Trump has just commuted his sentence (as opposed to pardon), there would not be this fuss.
The problem with the pardon is that it says that Arapaio did nothing wrong.
Do you approve of what Joe Arpapio did?
Or maybe you think those damn Spics got what was coming to them.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th August 2017, 11:10 AM   #76
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Let me clarify: I do NOT advocate violence except as a last resort. I really hope Trump can be stopped by other means. But, sadly, I am afraid it might come down to a last resort.
The GOP is playing with fire,and hope that somehow they can control the fire to get their damn tax cuts through, I am really afraid they have miscalculated.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th August 2017, 11:23 AM   #77
The_Animus
Illuminator

And immediately after your post they posted to deflect and hand wave yet again. And shortly after another usual suspect posted a deflection and an ad hom.

So transparent
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 11:27 AM   #78
The Big Dog

If Arapiao had been sentenced, and then Trump has just commuted his sentence (as opposed to pardon), there would not be this fuss.
The problem with the pardon is that it says that Arapaio did nothing wrong.
Do you approve of what Joe Arpapio did?
Or maybe you think those damn Spics got what was coming to them.....
Those damn what?

The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 11:30 AM   #79
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Judas (in the bibilical story) sold out Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.
Benedict Arnold sold out his country for a few thousand pounds and a commission in the British Army.
Many in the GOP are willing to sell out the basic principals of their country for a damn tax cut.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th August 2017, 11:31 AM   #80
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Those damn what?

Just saying what a lot of conservatives think in the exact terms they think of it.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics