IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , racism issues

Old 15th May 2018, 11:57 AM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Wearing a MAGA Hat While Black

Sounds like the anti-Trump folks include quite a few racists:

Quote:
"Her finger was literally on top of his head, we were all looking at her like 'what is happening?'" one witness told The Daily Wire. "She was pointing at him, calling her other coworkers, telling them to look at this guy wearing a Make America Great Again hat."

At that point, approximately a dozen or so employees approached the table and began making comments about the hat, with some saying they wanted to punch Joseph in the face. Witnesses also allege that some of the employees also referred to him as a "
Edited by Darat:  Breach of rule 10 removed
" in their conversations among each other.
(note to mods: that is how the "n" word is spelled in the article; I am not trying to get around the autocensor).

Yeah, if you ever want to see the 'ever-so-tolerant' Left reveal their true racist nature, just check out how they react to black Republicans. Even the white ones think it is quite all right to refer to them as "house *******," as race traitors, etc.

Last edited by Darat; 16th May 2018 at 07:59 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 11:59 AM   #2
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Or LGBT republicans, at least they know that LGBT really do not deserve right and vote against them. Their own status does not prevent them from taking a stand against their own rights.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 12:09 PM   #3
mikado
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Sounds like the anti-Trump folks include quite a few racists:

(note to mods: that is how the "n" word is spelled in the article; I am not trying to get around the autocensor).

Yeah, if you ever want to see the 'ever-so-tolerant' Left reveal their true racist nature, just check out how they react to black Republicans. Even the white ones think it is quite all right to refer to them as "house *******," as race traitors, etc.

How the hell does that have any thing to do with politics?
What's this whole American obsession with left and right?
It's just ignorant poeple.

How about not spending all your time attempting to forment hatred unnecessarily?
Old 15th May 2018, 12:13 PM   #4
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by mikado View Post

How about not spending all your time attempting to forment hatred unnecessarily?
In this case it is being viewed as voting against your own interests and against the promotion of your own rights. Like how gay republicans are now all whinny that no one else wants to have sex with them for voting for trump, merely with how he supports Mike Pence and his history of promoting HIV and war on the LGBT community.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 12:36 PM   #5
applecorped
Banned

Well obviously he's an Uncle Tom
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 12:37 PM   #6
applecorped
Banned

Originally Posted by mikado View Post

It's foment , and you're wrong.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 01:39 PM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Progressives you can't wear the "Figure out what term to call liberal white guilt this week in another attempt to bring it back" and the "We know when minorities are being disadvantaged better than they do white man's burden" hats at the same time.
Old 15th May 2018, 01:44 PM   #8
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Is the point of this thread "progressives are racists too"?

If so, yes. There are plenty of racist progressives, exhibiting various degrees of racism. I know that I carry certain biases. The difference - of course - is that progressives normally vote for political parties actively working against racism, while conservatives vote for parties that actively work to promote racism.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 01:57 PM   #9
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post

If so, yes. There are plenty of racist progressives, exhibiting various degrees of racism. I know that I carry certain biases. The difference - of course - is that progressives normally vote for political parties actively working against racism, while conservatives vote for parties that actively work to promote racism.
Ergo a black man supporting Trump is a race traitor, amiright?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 01:59 PM   #10
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

There are plenty of racist progressives, exhibiting various degrees of racism. I know that I carry certain biases.
Ain't that the truth!
Old 15th May 2018, 02:00 PM   #11
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Racist" is too much of a dogwhistle term, a hand grenade to launch into a discussions.

If we accept that we disagree about the exact mentality and practical application of race without it turning into a who's more racist than who game, than yes I disagree with how some progressives feel about race in some context.
Old 15th May 2018, 02:19 PM   #12
Mumbles
Philosopher

First, what race are these guys calling him "the N-word"? Much like women who call each other "bitch" or "heifer", or friendly gay guys who call each other "fag", this absolutely does make a difference. I use the first term, but none of the other three (and I also steer far away from phrases like "redneck" or "white trash"). For that matter, I never used "the N-word" around my grandfather - who was born in 1900 and raised in North Carolina. It's called context. I don't care if it's younger black people - and younger Hispanic folks sometimes get a pass as well, really.

Second - yes, that isn't how to treat a customer, regardless. The threats and intimidation is wrong, regardless of the fact that he supports a white supremacist president. Are some progressives/liberals racist? I've got stories on that one. Does that mean I consider any MAGAt to be a friend? Nope. DOn't consider any David Duke, Jared Taylor, or Richard Spencer fan to be a friend, either. It's not being republican, it's supporting white supremacism that I find untrustworthy on a basic, self-protection level.

Last edited by Mumbles; 15th May 2018 at 02:22 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 02:34 PM   #13
mgidm86
Philosopher

Looks up thread: apparently someone here thinks so!

Quote:
"So then all the employees started standing there, saying things out loud, like, 'I'm going to knock his head in so hard his hat's going to come off," the witness continued.
Quote:
"He got behind me and another coworker came by and they were staring at each other and he fist bumped him and then he started looking at me, balling his fists, smacking his fists, trying to scare me," Joseph told The Daily Wire.
Quote:
"I got up and went to the restroom, my girlfriend followed me, and as we were walking back, a group of [the employees] came out from the back and they just started clapping and yelling, and just screaming things at me," Joseph says.
Quote:
The Daily Wire viewed multiple video clips and photos that validate the claims made by the witnesses about the ......
Quote:
Another video reviewed by The Daily Wire showed a young girl crying at the table, afraid of the hostile environment created by The Cheesecake Factory employees.
This crap's getting worse all the time. They've got us finger pointing and name calling each other rather than the real scumbags sitting in DC.

But hey if other black people are calling him a
Edited by Darat:  Breach of rule 10 removed
and threatening to beat him, no problem. It's because he's supporting a racist white supremacist something rather so it's totally okay. Haha f'n hilarious.

Last edited by Darat; 16th May 2018 at 08:01 AM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 02:59 PM   #14
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
First, what race are these guys calling him "the N-word"? Much like women who call each other "bitch" or "heifer", or friendly gay guys who call each other "fag", this absolutely does make a difference. I use the first term, but none of the other three (and I also steer far away from phrases like "redneck" or "white trash"). For that matter, I never used "the N-word" around my grandfather - who was born in 1900 and raised in North Carolina. It's called context. I don't care if it's younger black people - and younger Hispanic folks sometimes get a pass as well, really.
I think we can all agree that any of those terms are offensive automatically if they are said in anger, and not in a spirit of camaraderie, even if they are spoken by a fellow group member.
Old 15th May 2018, 05:26 PM   #15
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Racism has its biggest home by far in the GOP; but there are still any number of left-leaning racists, just as there are any number of left-leaning misogynists (remember the "Bernie Bros" debacle).

That said, I'm a little frustrated at this article; it cites several videos of the incident taken by witnesses, but unusually, it doesn't link to a single one and I'm having trouble locating any on my own. This news report:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

...features a video clip but it appears to have been taken after the incident and doesn't show any of the happenings or perpetrators. It also features a soundbyte from a conservative radio host complaining about what she describes as most African-Americans' hostile attitudes toward Trump-supporting black people, which makes me wonder whether the incident really does depict any white people hurling any racial epithets at the person (or about the person) as the OP seems to contend. The news report also quotes the official police report which paints the incident in a decidedly more tepid light than the Daily Wire article does, making me wish I had access to those video clips even more.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 05:41 PM   #16
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Racism has its biggest home by far in the GOP; but there are still any number of left-leaning racists, just as there are any number of left-leaning misogynists (remember the "Bernie Bros" debacle).

That said, I'm a little frustrated at this article; it cites several videos of the incident taken by witnesses, but unusually, it doesn't link to a single one and I'm having trouble locating any on my own. This news report:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

...features a video clip but it appears to have been taken after the incident and doesn't show any of the happenings or perpetrators. It also features a soundbyte from a conservative radio host complaining about what she describes as most African-Americans' hostile attitudes toward Trump-supporting black people, which makes me wonder whether the incident really does depict any white people hurling any racial epithets at the person (or about the person) as the OP seems to contend. The news report also quotes the official police report which paints the incident in a decidedly more tepid light than the Daily Wire article does, making me wish I had access to those video clips even more.
Yeah, I spent some time looking for YT video of the actual event (not people yakking about it) and came up empty too. The story linked in my OP mentions that the website has viewed several videos--so they should link to those videos!
Old 16th May 2018, 07:15 AM   #17
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

???

That would be an incredibly racist way of putting it.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 16th May 2018 at 07:17 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:17 AM   #18
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Double post.

Old 16th May 2018, 07:24 AM   #19
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Racist" is too much of a dogwhistle term, a hand grenade to launch into a discussions.
Race is to much of a dogwhistle loaded term to ever bring up either, because if you imply someones policies/actions explicitly disadvantage a race you are going to blow up the discussion.

We are a post racial society in that it is now officially impossible to talk about.
Old 16th May 2018, 08:14 AM   #20
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't consider anyone a "race traitor," primarily as I consider "race" to largely be a made up term (without much scientific rigor or merit) seemingly invented to stand in for culturally different and other than my "tribe." I consider darker-skinned idiots voting for Trump to be little different than the lighter-skinned idiots who voted for Trump. Idiots are idiots regardless of the skin tone that shades their waste of human potential.

Last edited by Trakar; 16th May 2018 at 08:15 AM.
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 09:12 AM   #21
Mumbles
Philosopher

I think we can all agree that any of those terms are offensive automatically if they are said in anger, and not in a spirit of camaraderie, even if they are spoken by a fellow group member.
I don't necessarily - like I said, I consider the threats and intimidation to be worse. And I'd never eat anywhere where the staff acted that way, since they may try to "contaminate" the food in some disgusting (and illegal!) way. It's best to leave before that happens, and be relieved that they expressed themselves so openly rather than to potentially poison you. And that's just looking at self preservation - it's not right that they went either route, but this is as good as you can expect from anyone that willing to be openly hostile.

As for terms like "race traitor", "Uncle Tom", etc ...I don't use them, but many other communities have terms for people who are seen as openly and intentionally working against the common interests of other people who live there, regardless of how or why that community was created, so I'm unbothered when other black Americans use them in cases like this. I consider these along the same lines as "Benedict Arnold" for people who US citizens who betray the US, or "Gamergater" for gamers that harass women online. And a black guy who considers himself part of a US black community, but votes for Dolt 45 (as opposed to most other republicans) is about as close as you get to that. I don't really recognize a singular "the black community" however, so I'm very reluctant to consider anyone to have betrayed all black people. And "House slave/negro/etc" will get a word from me on how badly actual slaves were treated who worked in the house.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 09:17 AM   #22
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I don't necessarily - like I said, I consider the threats and intimidation to be worse. And I'd never eat anywhere where the staff acted that way, since they may try to "contaminate" the food in some disgusting (and illegal!) way. It's best to leave before that happens, and be relieved that they expressed themselves so openly rather than to potentially poison you. And that's just looking at self preservation - it's not right that they went either route, but this is as good as you can expect from anyone that willing to be openly hostile.

As for terms like "race traitor", "Uncle Tom", etc ...I don't use them, but many other communities have terms for people who are seen as openly and intentionally working against the common interests of other people who live there, regardless of how or why that community was created, so I'm unbothered when other black Americans use them in cases like this. I consider these along the same lines as "Benedict Arnold" for people who US citizens who betray the US, or "Gamergater" for gamers that harass women online. And a black guy who considers himself part of a US black community, but votes for Dolt 45 (as opposed to most other republicans) is about as close as you get to that. I don't really recognize a singular "the black community" however, so I'm very reluctant to consider anyone to have betrayed all black people. And "House slave/negro/etc" will get a word from me on how badly actual slaves were treated who worked in the house.
Oh come on Quisling is always the most respected profession by all groups.
Old 16th May 2018, 09:37 AM   #23
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I think the word people are looking for is 'intersectionality'. Every individual belongs to more than one group, and sometimes this results in conflict.

One thing that always depresses me is gay racists. It just seems like of all people they should know better, but that's humanity for you. We won't get along until we meet aliens, then we'll band together to be nasty to them.
Old 16th May 2018, 09:46 AM   #24
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think the word people are looking for is 'intersectionality'. Every individual belongs to more than one group, and sometimes this results in conflict.
This is what I've hit on the past with the Democrats failing to understand that "Democratic Policies are Better for Group X" doesn't always automatically win them everybody in Group X.

There gay, black, disabled, veteran, transgender, etc people for whom being gay, black, disabled, a veteran, transgendered, etc is not the most important part of their life and it seems at times Progressives and Liberals and the Democrats just keep screaming "But we're making life better for (this or that demographic)!" and don't get it.

And.... okay bad, bad elephant in the room here but... so be it, there's also the tendency to treat "minority" as a single distinct demographic when... it's not. It would be a wonderful world if one disadvantaged group's understanding of how they are disadvantaged would always transfer over to empathy for other groups but... yeah. Female racists, black homophobes.. these aren't hard to find.
Old 16th May 2018, 10:13 AM   #25
Stankeye
Critical Thinker

And.... okay bad, bad elephant in the room here but... so be it, there's also the tendency to treat "minority" as a single distinct demographic when... it's not. It would be a wonderful world if one disadvantaged group's understanding of how they are disadvantaged would always transfer over to empathy for other groups but... yeah. Female racists, black homophobes.. these aren't hard to find.
There seems to be only one group you consider to have the natural tendency to be racist, homophobe, etc. based on being advantaged.
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 10:50 AM   #26
sadhatter
Philosopher

Anyone remember when **** like this was the sole domain of ******** with hoods?

There are two types of liberals.

Those like myself that see 1950s America as a disgusting example of one group having power over another.

And those that think the only problem was that it wasn't liberals wielding that power.

Sadly the second option seems more and more common.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 11:20 AM   #27
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Indeed. As a matter of fact, the black community, as a whole tends to be relatively church-going and culturally conservative. So, for example, there is less support for gay marriage in the black community than in the white community. That should cause cognitive dissonance in some quarters. [/OFFTOPIC]

Back to the main topic, even though I shouldn't be surprised at how much less attention this story is getting than the other "such-and-such while black" stories, it is still pretty astonishing.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:38 AM   #28
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Indeed. As a matter of fact, the black community, as a whole tends to be relatively church-going and culturally conservative. So, for example, there is less support for gay marriage in the black community than in the white community. That should cause cognitive dissonance in some quarters. [/OFFTOPIC]

Back to the main topic, even though I shouldn't be surprised at how much less attention this story is getting than the other "such-and-such while black" stories, it is still pretty astonishing.
And people being shocked by black men supporting the confederacy based explicitly on the inferiority of their race is also not something that would strike you as odd I can tell.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:41 AM   #29
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post

It is astonishing because this is the one story with an absolutely clear case of in-your-face bigotry, except it isn't against black people it's against conservatives. So I guess it isn't that astonishing actually.

I mean there was no denial from the perpetrators, they were very clear as to why they were upset. There is no translation needed. Finally, a story containing obvious bigotry!
Old 16th May 2018, 11:55 AM   #30
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

As for terms like "race traitor", "Uncle Tom", etc ...I don't use them, but many other communities have terms for people who are seen as openly and intentionally working against the common interests of other people who live there, regardless of how or why that community was created, so I'm unbothered when other black Americans use them in cases like this.
Whenever I hear anybody talking about race traitors, I know they are racists. It's just that most people only seem to see it when it's the KKK talking about white race traitors.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:56 AM   #31
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Ew, god, shouldn't this be in Politics?
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 11:58 AM   #32
sadhatter
Philosopher

Whenever I hear anybody talking about race traitors, I know they are racists. It's just that most people only seem to see it when it's the KKK talking about white race traitors.
Some hate the KKK because of their tactics, others just want to have their people under the hood.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 12:43 PM   #33
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Is the very concept of traitor meaningful ever? People are acting in accordance with their ideology, be that not caring about their individual rights compared to tax cuts with say log cabin republicans, or choosing to send information to other nations for ideological reasons.
Old 16th May 2018, 12:47 PM   #34
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Is the very concept of traitor meaningful ever?
In the context of tribalism, that is in the only context social/political discussion take place in these days, it's amazingly important.

Have to keep the Cause bloodlines pure.
Old 16th May 2018, 12:58 PM   #35
Mumbles
Philosopher

The key difference, of course, is that the KKK are a white supremacist terrorist group. When David Duke calls someone a "race traitor", all he means is that at some point they failed to oppress a person who isn't white in some fashion. When this guy is called a "race traitor" by other black people, they mean that he supports David Duke's mission to oppress nonwhite people, despite himself being nonwhite.

Among other issues - Duke will call someone a "race traitor" because one does not wish for police to beat or kill black people without cause. This guy is being called a "race traitor" because he effectively supports police who beat or kill black people without cause.

Context is important!
Old 16th May 2018, 01:02 PM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The key difference, of course, is that the KKK are a white supremacist terrorist group. When David Duke calls someone a "race traitor", all he means is that at some point they failed to oppress a person who isn't white in some fashion. When this guy is called a "race traitor" by other black people, they mean that he supports David Duke's mission to oppress nonwhite people, despite himself being nonwhite.

Among other issues - Duke will call someone a "race traitor" because one does not wish for police to beat or kill black people without cause. This guy is being called a "race traitor" because he effectively supports police who beat or kill black people without cause.

Context is important!
Are you calling the guy a race traitor?
Old 16th May 2018, 01:04 PM   #37
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What's sad is that there are some many good, valid reasons to hate Trump supporters that they shouldn't need to stoop to race. A traitor to his country is a traitor regardless of race. Focus on the treason, not the skin color I say.

Last edited by Craig4; 16th May 2018 at 01:45 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 01:28 PM   #38
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What's sad is that there are some many good, valid reasons to hate Trump supporters that shouldn't need to stoop to race. A traitor to his country is a traitor regardless of race. Focus on the treason, not the skin color I say.
White supremacism has been central to Dolt 45's politics since he began pushing birtherism in 2011. Saying it should be ignored is as absurd as saying that we shouldn't discuss his sexual abuse or his pathetic business career.
Old 16th May 2018, 01:45 PM   #39
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

White supremacism has been central to Dolt 45's politics since he began pushing birtherism in 2011. Saying it should be ignored is as absurd as saying that we shouldn't discuss his sexual abuse or his pathetic business career.
But you don't need to hurl racial epithets at his supporters when so many race neutral epithets apply.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 01:56 PM   #40
Stankeye
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Are you calling the guy a race traitor?
Obviously. There is good bigotry and bad bigotry. Just pick a side already.
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events