IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , racism issues

Old 16th May 2018, 02:41 PM   #41
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
White supremacism has been central to Dolt 45's politics since he began pushing birtherism in 2011. Saying it should be ignored is as absurd as saying that we shouldn't discuss his sexual abuse or his pathetic business career.
And that is what his supporters just don't see..or don't want to see:That Trump's whole shtick is basically the Angry White Man routine.
ANd I note that, once again, his supporters reduced to "Your're Another"!

Truth is, I am convinced that some of Trump's supporters, though perhaps not racists themselves,want to overlook Trump's racism because they like his other policies. I think this is a horrid mistake. Reminds me too much of the Germans who might not have approved of Hitler's polity toward the Jews, but tolerated it because they though he was making Germany Strong Again....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 04:17 PM   #42
applecorped
Banned

What, no $200,000 fund is going to be set up by the Cheesecake Factory? I guess Starbucks is more virtuous.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 09:03 PM   #43
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
But you don't need to hurl racial epithets at his supporters when so many race neutral epithets apply.
That would be true, if I agreed that they were racial epithets or racial slurs.

I do not.

At most, they need to stay in their own lane. And again, if they're black, then they're looking out for themselves, their families, and their communities against a clear threat (and again, an actual "I think it's fine for police to attack black people without cause" threat, not a "don't bring a white person into my neighborhood" fake threat), so I have no major objection.

Much like I figure transgendered people can call Caitlyn Jenner whatever they wish for *her* endorsement of Dolt 45, but when I point out that his anti-trans moves were entirely predictable, and that she was therefore a fool to endorse him and claim that he'd be all for equality for trans people, but I'm not going to use certain terms, because that's not my lane.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And that is what his supporters just don't see..or don't want to see:That Trump's whole shtick is basically the Angry White Man routine.

Truth is, I am convinced that some of Trump's supporters, though perhaps not racists themselves,want to overlook Trump's racism because they like his other policies. I think this is a horrid mistake. Reminds me too much of the Germans who might not have approved of Hitler's polity toward the Jews, but tolerated it because they though he was making Germany Strong Again....
Exactly.

ETA: Again, there are differences between "conservative" (many black people are this), "Republican" (far fewer black people are this), and "Toupee Fiasco supporter" (very few black people are this). I'd strongly object to anyone calling Michael Steele, Colin Powell, or even Tim Scott "race traitors", because I think that's deeply mistaken. But for black people who support the current US president...well...I won't say it myself, but I'm not objecting if another black person does.

Last edited by Mumbles; 16th May 2018 at 10:57 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 12:07 AM   #44
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Slightly sidetrack, but a few weeks ago a Danish tourist was beaten up i NY for wearing a MAGA cap. While it's not ok, the bloody idiot should have left his politics at home while visiting another country.
Old 17th May 2018, 12:48 AM   #45
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think the word people are looking for is 'intersectionality'. Every individual belongs to more than one group, and sometimes this results in conflict.

One thing that always depresses me is gay racists. It just seems like of all people they should know better, but that's humanity for you. We won't get along until we meet aliens, then we'll band together to be nasty to them.
.... unless they look exactly like us but are all black and gay.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 02:21 AM   #46
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

So is it alright to verbally and physically assault Trump supporters?

This BS has gone on far too long, and I am no longer going to dismiss it. Okay, you think Trump is Hitler and those of us who are perceived as supporting him are goose-stepping fools/goons/whatever.

Alright, so 15 months into Herr Trumpler's reign and he must be fomenting incredible hatred against minorities, right?.

Check. A couple of black men got refused bathroom privileges at Starbucks. Let's call that Starbucknacht.

A black woman was harassed by a white feminist at Yale. A black family was harassed by a white woman for burning charcoals in a grill that was not for charcoals. And a whole lot of other incidents that add up to people (on both sides) acting badly but badly in a 2000s sense--they call the cops and let them sort it out.

But, you know, just a tad short of what I would expect from a society anywhere near enacting a holocaust on some (so far unnamed) ethnic group that would make the Hitler analogy complete. Don't get me wrong, you are to be applauded for your vigilance, as is the guy protecting America from attacks by rogue elephants. The next time either of you might be right and we will be grateful.

Last edited by Brainster; 17th May 2018 at 02:44 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 03:13 AM   #47
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Slightly sidetrack, but a few weeks ago a Danish tourist was beaten up i NY for wearing a MAGA cap. While it's not ok, the bloody idiot should have left his politics at home while visiting another country.
Did the New Yorkers perhaps rule out irony before beginning the beat down?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 03:21 AM   #48
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post

This BS has gone on far too long, and I am no longer going to dismiss it. Okay, you think Trump is Hitler and those of us who are perceived as supporting him are goose-stepping fools/goons/whatever.

Alright, so 15 months into Herr Trumpler's reign and he must be fomenting incredible hatred against minorities, right?.

Check. A couple of black men got refused bathroom privileges at Starbucks. Let's call that Starbucknacht.

A black woman was harassed by a white feminist at Yale. A black family was harassed by a white woman for burning charcoals in a grill that was not for charcoals. And a whole lot of other incidents that add up to people (on both sides) acting badly but badly in a 2000s sense--they call the cops and let them sort it out.

But, you know, just a tad short of what I would expect from a society anywhere near enacting a holocaust on some (so far unnamed) ethnic group that would make the Hitler analogy complete. Don't get me wrong, you are to be applauded for your vigilance, as is the guy protecting America from attacks by rogue elephants. The next time either of you might be right and we will be grateful.
This and this again. I'm appalled and surprised at the lack of insight shown by those posters who are against Trump.

Not being a political animal myself and not having a dog in the fight (UK'er) I have tended to try and ignore the ranting and rabid nonsense some of them have posted. I get that he evokes deeply devisive emotions but for ***** sake reel it in some of you.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 03:26 AM   #49
applecorped
Banned

Of course she was asking for it did you see how she was dressed?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 04:36 AM   #50
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. When you dismiss all the cases of open racism and hatred in Trump's wake, there's nothing to worry about. Well done!

I also like how you insinuate that the threads about white people calling the cops on black people these last couple of weeks completely sums up the problem and isn't a symptom of a much greater problem. You really got this, chum.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 17th May 2018 at 04:37 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 05:30 AM   #51
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
This and this again. I'm appalled and surprised at the lack of insight shown by those posters who are against Trump.

Not being a political animal myself and not having a dog in the fight (UK'er) I have tended to try and ignore the ranting and rabid nonsense some of them have posted. I get that he evokes deeply devisive emotions but for ***** sake reel it in some of you.
To be clear - I will stop calling Dolt 45 a white supremacist when he stops advocating policies that are crafted specifically to drain wealth out of nonwhite communities, and give that wealth to white people, and especially him and his cronies, and when he stops using race and ethnicity to berate and insult others.

And not one second sooner.

Until then, he's no better than George Wallace in this regard, and only better than Richard Spencer in that the latter is also anti-semitic, and outright in favor of ethnic cleansing. And I consider people who claim that he's anything less to be the same as people who claim that he's an amazingly good businessman, at best. No, he's a failed real estate developer who almost certainly is kept afloat via illegal activity, and like his racism, this has been known long before his campaign launch.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 06:25 AM   #52
ahhell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Is the very concept of traitor meaningful ever? People are acting in accordance with their ideology, be that not caring about their individual rights compared to tax cuts with say log cabin republicans, or choosing to send information to other nations for ideological reasons.
Sometimes its just for money. I figure if you actively work to undermine a cause you've publicly claimed support for, the title of traitor seems appropriate.

Minor tangent, the USA Today recently published an analysis of the Russian Facebook ad campaign, turns out it was mostly aimed at stoking racial tension. Seems like they succeeded.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ing/602319002/
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 06:59 AM   #53
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Of course she was asking for it did you see how she was dressed?
I take it you travel a lot?
Old 17th May 2018, 08:15 AM   #54
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Easy for you to say. Your PM isn't a Russian whore. Our president is.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 08:44 AM   #55
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

In all seriousness, this forum is the most restrained discussion you will see regarding the President. Engine room level discourse is more bitterly polarizing than you could imagine
Old 17th May 2018, 10:07 AM   #56
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Minor tangent, the USA Today recently published an analysis of the Russian Facebook ad campaign, turns out it was mostly aimed at stoking racial tension
The Russian Facebook ad campaign or the Democratic Party?
Old 18th May 2018, 03:37 AM   #57
applecorped
Banned

I take it you travel a lot?

Keep trying
Old 18th May 2018, 03:38 AM   #58
applecorped
Banned

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
In all seriousness, this forum is the most restrained discussion you will see regarding the President.
Old 18th May 2018, 07:33 AM   #59
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I love the number of conservative flies this stinking pile of crap story has attracted.

This would seem to be just like the liars who claimed that Trump supporters told them they better watch themselves, go to the back of the bus, not wear their hijab, etc... All of them proved to be either outright lies or blown out of proportion. Or the whacko who claimed the big scary dark-skinned guys attacked her and mirror-wrote Obama on her forehead. Or the Trumpista liars who claim they couldn't get served because they were Trump supporters.

What, in this story, stinks of those stories? A lot. A convenient narrative, support only by members of his party, overblown claims, dubious journalists picking it up (Ben Shapiro, Breitbart, Fox & Friends). The source of the N-word claim seems to be the reporter working for Shapiro. Surely Mr. Joseph would've made that claim in one of his interviews. He also claims to have video of the event - maybe he does and realized he'd have to drop that lie.

The Cheesecake Factory has fired the two employees who were annoying him. Two, not a whole staff of them. Cheesecake Factory also says their security footage does not bear out his claims. Let's see Mr. Joseph's footage; he's had ample opportunities to show it with all of his new right wing news buddies.

And, the cynical conservative's favorite proof of lies.... He's suing!

Ask yourself... how did Dailywire break the story? More significant ask yourself why Mr. Joseph called the Dailywire and not the Miami Herald?

C'mon, folks.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 09:08 AM   #60
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Minor tangent, the USA Today recently published an analysis of the Russian Facebook ad campaign, turns out it was mostly aimed at stoking racial tension. Seems like they succeeded.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ing/602319002/

This observation is probably correct:

Quote:
“They are stirring up the racial pot, while then trying to connect with minority groups and saying, 'Look at how racist the content is online.' They don’t really have to do that because the content online is racist without the Russians, to be very clear,” Schafer said.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 11:32 AM   #61
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Keep trying
I'll take that as a "no".
Old 19th May 2018, 05:57 AM   #62
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

What I find more telling is the media coverage of this incident rather than the incident itself. I feel there's two sides to every story and most posters to the extent that they believe this case took place feel that the actions of the restaurant employees was not appropriate and that their behavior is reprehensible.

Having said that, when I see the degree of anti-Trump behavior in the media - to the extreme that they blatantly ignore some of the context of his remarks to pass along the tyrant/racist/anti-immigrant narrative - I see this case having the same coverage bias undertones. If this had been an Obama or Hillary supporter, the coverage in the media would be A LOT different.
Old 19th May 2018, 06:41 AM   #63
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I like how in the space of one post you go from whining about how unfairly Trump supporters are treated to telling minority communities to shut up and stop making such a big deal about every little perceived slight.

It’s a cognitive dissonance central to the worldview of Trump supporters.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 06:56 AM   #64
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

That would be true, if I agreed that they were racial epithets or racial slurs.

I do not.

At most, they need to stay in their own lane. And again, if they're black, then they're looking out for themselves, their families, and their communities against a clear threat (and again, an actual "I think it's fine for police to attack black people without cause" threat, not a "don't bring a white person into my neighborhood" fake threat), so I have no major objection.

Much like I figure transgendered people can call Caitlyn Jenner whatever they wish for *her* endorsement of Dolt 45, but when I point out that his anti-trans moves were entirely predictable, and that she was therefore a fool to endorse him and claim that he'd be all for equality for trans people, but I'm not going to use certain terms, because that's not my lane.

Exactly.

ETA: Again, there are differences between "conservative" (many black people are this), "Republican" (far fewer black people are this), and "Toupee Fiasco supporter" (very few black people are this). I'd strongly object to anyone calling Michael Steele, Colin Powell, or even Tim Scott "race traitors", because I think that's deeply mistaken. But for black people who support the current US president...well...I won't say it myself, but I'm not objecting if another black person does.
“Your lane”. Let’s be honest, what you really mean is “your place”. And if you really believe you should stay in your plac...err sorry, “your lane”, then you’ve been indoctrinated into thinking you’re lesser than some people in some contexts.

You should give freethinking a try.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 07:01 AM   #65
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Easy for you to say. Your PM isn't a Russian whore. Our president is.
He’s not my president.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 09:20 AM   #66
applecorped
Banned

I'll take that as a "no".

Old 19th May 2018, 10:45 AM   #67
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Old 19th May 2018, 11:00 AM   #68
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony View Post
“Your lane”. Let’s be honest, what you really mean is “your place”. And if you really believe you should stay in your plac...err sorry, “your lane”, then you’ve been indoctrinated into thinking you’re lesser than some people in some contexts.

You should give freethinking a try.
I did, and I find no problem with anyone saying "this thing that you do/support/etc. is actively harmful to us, the people who you insist that you are helping." We do it in families, we do it in neighborhoods, and given the way the US is organized, we do it in sociopolitical groups. And what's more, I know that people "inside" the group can, and often will, be more angry, and more rude, about it than people outside it.

And furthermore, I know that what language is acceptable depends on social group, setting, etc. Office talk and bedroom talk aren't the same. Talk between family members and talk among strangers are not the same.

What you wrote gives me no reason at all to think that this suddenly, magically, hold true for black and/or trans people. A person who isn't in the black American community has no place saying "You are harming our black American community." - which is what "race traitor" means - because there is no shared black American community, tautologically.
Old 19th May 2018, 11:22 AM   #69
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I love the number of conservative flies this stinking pile of crap story has attracted.

This would seem to be just like the liars who claimed that Trump supporters told them they better watch themselves, go to the back of the bus, not wear their hijab, etc... All of them proved to be either outright lies or blown out of proportion. Or the whacko who claimed the big scary dark-skinned guys attacked her and mirror-wrote Obama on her forehead. Or the Trumpista liars who claim they couldn't get served because they were Trump supporters.
No shock. Sometimes you wait it out - but in this case, I find a lot of their whining to be absurd even if taken as true, which is why I felt little need to look for any counterevidence.

It's a bit like how they suddenly love Candace Owen and her played out "democrat plantation" talking point, or Diamond and Silk (I still don't know which one is which) with their performative blackness. Anyone can see exactly what they're walking into, and it's not "sudden shift in support from nonwhite voters".

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
What I find more telling is the media coverage of this incident rather than the incident itself. I feel there's two sides to every story and most posters to the extent that they believe this case took place feel that the actions of the restaurant employees was not appropriate and that their behavior is reprehensible.

Having said that, when I see the degree of anti-Trump behavior in the media - to the extreme that they blatantly ignore some of the context of his remarks to pass along the tyrant/racist/anti-immigrant narrative - I see this case having the same coverage bias undertones. If this had been an Obama or Hillary supporter, the coverage in the media would be A LOT different.
No, he's very clearly a white supremacist (and not just a "I get nervous when I see a black guy walking around in my neighborhood" sense, but a "Police should be allowed to violently attack nonwhite people without interference" sense) and anti black/Hispanic immigrant (as in "Send them back where they came from, I want more white immigrants only, ICE should ignore 'violent' immigrants because they're all violent!"). That's extensively documented, both in his statements and his actions.

As for this "You guys took me out of context!", the full context of when he and his supporters whine about this does not make him look at all better, and that includes his comments this week that were supposedly only about MS-13. Only recourse here is that he's such a remarkably poor speaker that he may just stumble his way into incredibly bigoted remarks sometimes, as opposed to the large number of other plainly bigoted remarks and actions he has said and done.

But in that case, how am I supposed to tell the difference, and why should I even care?
Old 19th May 2018, 11:24 AM   #70
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post

This incident is a lot scarier to me than the other ones (Starbucks, Yale...) because it was blatant, and there is no denying what happened. He was absolutely targeted for his political affiliation, because he was black, and he was threatened with physical harm. I would consider the group of angry employees forcing this man to leave in the way they did as violence.

This is the only story of the bunch where there was anything even close to violence.

But it's the least reported of all of the stories even though it is, by far, the most disturbing and there is no doubt that bigotry was involved. I talked with two friends yesterday and neither of them had heard of this story at all but were familiar with all the other ones. I wonder why? See thread on media bias.

It's all about painting Trump, and by extension his supporters, as racists. It's just politics. All these people are hungry for an evil Republican/person to point at so they jump on these stories with seemingly little critical thought.

Republicans and conservatives are being painted as the violent ones, but it is the guy wearing the MAGA hat that actually gets the worst of it in all of these stories!

Very frustrating to see. Politics.
Old 19th May 2018, 11:59 AM   #71
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

It was hard for me not to hear about this one... That mall is an area I pass by routinely and I've eaten at that restaurant before (been quite some time as of now). Guess I won't be visiting there again any time soon. I get that there's a good share of anti-trump sentiment but whether people interpret his support for Trump as misguided or otherwise racism needs to be scorned for what it is first and worry about his political affiliation last. And the coverage of the incident is uncaring precisely BECAUSE it involves support for Trump
Old 19th May 2018, 12:16 PM   #72
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
This is the only story of the bunch where there was anything even close to violence.
I'd consider anyone threatening to call the police or ICE to be threatening violence.

And I'd consider, say, an arrest record to be potentially worse than an unrealized threat.
Old 19th May 2018, 07:45 PM   #73
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

As a balance to the yellow dog reporting of Ben Shapiro's rag, here's the leftie press version of things. (See how that works, Brainster... identify the slant of slanted rags.)

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/mi...-says-10356354

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 08:15 PM   #74
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

This incident is a lot scarier to me than the other ones (Starbucks, Yale...) because it was blatant, and there is no denying what happened. He was absolutely targeted for his political affiliation, because he was black, and he was threatened with physical harm. I would consider the group of angry employees forcing this man to leave in the way they did as violence.

But it's the least reported of all of the stories even though it is, by far, the most disturbing and there is no doubt that bigotry was involved. I talked with two friends yesterday and neither of them had heard of this story at all but were familiar with all the other ones. I wonder why? See thread on media bias.

It's all about painting Trump, and by extension his supporters, as racists. It's just politics. All these people are hungry for an evil Republican/person to point at so they jump on these stories with seemingly little critical thought.

Republicans and conservatives are being painted as the violent ones, but it is the guy wearing the MAGA hat that actually gets the worst of it in all of these stories!

Really?

The stories of the special snowflakes include this kid who says he felt threatened, the Danish tourist who says one of his assailants (who grabbed his hat after telling him he wasn't leaving with it still on) had a knife and who else? Oh, yeah, there's that black dude in the New York subway. All he was doing was expressing his first amendment right to association (oh, that and punching the Mexican guy and trying to push him under a train). And for expressing his opinions, he gets arrested! Maybe Ben Shapiro's rag will take up his case. Google "MAGA Maniac"(as they Daily News called him).

People have been ostracizing political opponents for years in this country. Donnie Johnny's fans actual kick and punch demonstrators at his rallies. You're aware of that, aren't you? The dood in the subway, actually tried to kill someone. And I'm supposed to cry for conservatives who get comments (similar to those uttered by Coulter, Trump, Spencer, etc...) thrown at them? Or a guy "clenching his fists"? Really? Where's your sense of perspective, may I ask?

Speaking of "least reported", Fox national covered the MAGA Maniac incident in one story. Nothing near the coverage it gave Eugenior Joseph. Wonder why? Maybe because of what the perp said, as quoted, "You Mexicans come here to steal our jobs and you bring drugs." Gee, no, Trump hasn't inspired any bigots.

Old 19th May 2018, 08:18 PM   #75
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I like how in the space of one post you go from whining about how unfairly Trump supporters are treated to telling minority communities to shut up and stop making such a big deal about every little perceived slight.

It’s a cognitive dissonance central to the worldview of Trump supporters.
From my understanding the post was directed toward extreme actions like this case. Funny how a post would be about the topic at hand.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 08:20 PM   #76
sadhatter
Philosopher

I'd consider anyone threatening to call the police or ICE to be threatening violence.

And I'd consider, say, an arrest record to be potentially worse than an unrealized threat.
Just because you say "I think thing x is actually thing y " doesn't make it true. You just end up making your point weaker.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 08:39 PM   #77
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Just because you say "I think thing x is actually thing y " doesn't make it true. You just end up making your point weaker.
I'll rephrase:

Threatening state violence for someone because of their perceived race is definitely just as bad as what is supposed to have occured here, if not worse. It's George Zimmerman/Michael Dunn-style, aggressive bigotry, except these folks (BBQ Becky, that woman in the Yale dorm, the idiot threatening to call ICE on people for speaking Spanish, the person who called cops on black people for walking with a baby/sitting in a Starbucks/moving into an apartment/etc.) aren't *quite* brave enough to murder the targets of their hatred themselves. Instead, they call police or ICE to harass, imprison, deport, rob, or kill random people for them - so they're basically hiring hitmen instead.

And that's why I'm perfectly fine with the latter people being driven out of jobs, losing office spaces, having mariachi bands play outside their homes, and so forth.

Happy now? Because that's actually much closer to what I wanted to say.
Old 20th May 2018, 09:10 AM   #78
johnny karate

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
From my understanding the post was directed toward extreme actions like this case. Funny how a post would be about the topic at hand.
To which “extreme actions” are you referring? The ones that didn’t happen in the the make-believe story? Or the knee-jerk rage and victimhood this fanciful tale inspired in conservatives?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2018, 09:16 AM   #79
johnny karate

I feel the same way about the movie “The Exorcist”, in the it’s really scary and also fiction.
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:04 PM   #80
mgidm86
Philosopher

I'd consider someone balling their fists at someone and saying they might knock they're head off to be violent.

I would say being forced to leave a restaurant with the staff hot on your heels to be violent.

Calling the cops or ICE is not violent at all - and no, it isn't non-physical violence either. You might want to look up the definition.

Or is it like the definition of racism these days - "fluid"?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events