IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags media criticism , Portland incidents , racial incidents , racism charges

Old 5th November 2018, 11:20 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

A Racial Shakedown in Portland

It's amazing that the state of racial politics has come to this:

Quote:
PORTLAND — In a 30-second video recorded on Oct. 28, a female pedestrian holding a bicycle helmet is seen making a phone call. She’s complaining about a car blocking a crosswalk on a busy street in Portland, Ore. The phone call ends and the car’s occupants—a young black man and woman—walk up to her and take her to task for reporting them. Some angry words are directed at the bicyclist by the man—“go back to your ******* neighborhood”—and then the video ends.
Quote:
It is hard to know how the pedestrian, derogatorily christened “Crosswalk Cathy” on social media, could have known the race of the car’s owners. Portland doesn’t offer its residents race-tagged parking permits (yet), and the incident occurred on a busy business street. But that didn’t stop Portland Mercury news editor Alex Zielinski from writing a provocative (and wrong) story with the headline, “Woman calls cops on Portland man’s parking job. She’s white. He’s black.”
Quote:
The report, video, and misinformation went viral and spawned a series of other stories targeting the woman. “Portland, Ore., couple Rashsaan Muhammad and Mattie Khan were running to grab a quick bite to eat at Big Burger (sic) when they spotted a woman bearing the skin color of an American terrorist standing across the street looking at their parked car,” read one unsubtle story at The Root. “White lady dubbed ‘Crosswalk Cathy’ called cops because she didn’t like how black couple parked,” headlined another on BET. Newsweek was slightly more charitable, saying she had “allegedly” called the cops. They were all wrong.
"a woman bearing the skin color of an American terrorist"
Apparently this is OK to say now, and not "racist" as long as the skin color is white?
Then it goes on about "activists" doxxing the woman and harassing her employer and family.
And why assume that race has anything to do with this?

And one more aspect:
Quote:
And it was Ms. Khan, not the pedestrian, who instantly racialized the incident, while her male partner called the woman an “idiot” and told her that she doesn’t belong in the neighborhood. Who’s the racist—not to mention segregationist—here?
What's this notion now that certain people with the wrong skin color "don't belong" in certain neighborhoods? Nobody would hestitate to call that racist if a white person in a predominantely white neighborhood said that to a black person.

And the whole basis for the story, that she was calling the police, turned out to be wrong. She was calling a non-emergency line set up by the city for exactly that purpose.
Old 6th November 2018, 06:18 PM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Totally missed the opportunity to title this Being A Racist Twit While Black.

But c'mon...this is obviously Fake News. We all know the sole determinant to demonstrate #LWB is whether the victims are black and the oppressor white. So the couple must be the victims, no arguments accepted. Hell, they even gave the evil white woman a snazzy name, 'Crosswalk Cathy'. The black woman victim is selling hoodies with her likeness for $45 and T-shirts for $25 (not a joke).

The interesting element here is the depth of the racism against them. See, the racists are trying to flip it back on the victims and make them look like the racists. So they are being exponentially victimized.

#LWB2

This is some Inception level **** going on here.
Old 6th November 2018, 07:57 PM   #3
The Big Dog

It is from The Root, certainly one of the most racist websites on any mainstream internet property.

The brats illegally parked blocking a crosswalk and went all The Root when they saw that someone was calling to report them. They was just blocking the crosswalk for a few minutes, they are black so that makes it ok.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 06:21 AM   #4
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You're being too hard on The Root. They just opined that the white girl was bearing the skin color of an American Terrorist. No overt, hateful racism there. Nor did the guy exhibit any when he told her to go back to her f'in neighborhood. Crosswalk Cathy hoodies and Ts still on sale!

The Woke Folk haven't noticed this thread yet to back me up here. I expect they'll be along presently.
Old 7th November 2018, 11:14 PM   #5
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
It's amazing that the state of racial politics has come to this:

"a woman bearing the skin color of an American terrorist"
Apparently this is OK to say now, and not "racist" as long as the skin color is white?
Then it goes on about "activists" doxxing the woman and harassing her employer and family.
And why assume that race has anything to do with this?

And one more aspect:

What's this notion now that certain people with the wrong skin color "don't belong" in certain neighborhoods? Nobody would hestitate to call that racist if a white person in a predominantely white neighborhood said that to a black person.

And the whole basis for the story, that she was calling the police, turned out to be wrong. She was calling a non-emergency line set up by the city for exactly that purpose.
If White people were actually racist, we would never hear about nothing incidents like this. Pretty soon it's going to be racist for a convenience store clerk to ask a black person to pay for a bottle of Night Train Express as he's walking out of the store.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 12:40 PM   #6
baron

Perhaps they'll run an article on this incident and entitle it, "Robbing a white man whilst black." Here we see another racist, this time a 78 year old bigot, thwarting the human rights of three lovely black lads by being reluctant to hand over the keys to his car, then repeatedly hitting the youths' fists with his face whilst lying on the ground. It's all Trump's fault.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 03:47 PM   #7
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Perhaps they'll run an article on this incident and entitle it, "Robbing a white man whilst black." Here we see another racist, this time a 78 year old bigot, thwarting the human rights of three lovely black lads by being reluctant to hand over the keys to his car, then repeatedly hitting the youths' fists with his face whilst lying on the ground. It's all Trump's fault.
No, no, no. That's not how this works. See, if the victim is identified in the title as black, and the aggressor specifically identified as white, it's a racial issue. The guys in your link are specifically identified as 'youngsters', not black at all. There is no race issue here. Move along people.

Sooooo....this thread's pretty quiet. Lots of space to stretch and get some brisk exercise. Usually there would be a half dozen SJWs telling a couple posters how racist they are for not parroting the Woke Narrative for ten pages. I'm thinking we could get the fireplace going and break out some brandy while it's still peaceful. Our resident SJWs are sure to be here any minute to tell us how obviously racist Crosswalk Cathytm is. She ticks all the boxes for any other LWB thread. Aaaaaaaany minute they'll be here.

*...chirp...chirp...*
Old 8th November 2018, 04:01 PM   #8
baron

Got to admit, this is post 8 and it really doesn't seem like ISF at all...
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:48 PM   #9
Distracted1
Philosopher

Change the thread title to "Parking while black", and link only to "the root" in the OP and plenty of posters will be aghast that she hasn't been fired from her job yet.
Old 8th November 2018, 05:51 PM   #10
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Someone blocked a cross walk and/or bike path in Portland and they lived? That town is getting soft. Normally that person would have been passive aggressived to death.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 08:11 PM   #11
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, damn, we had guests. Here I had nodded off in the recliner.

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Change the thread title to "Parking while black", and link only to "the root" in the OP and plenty of posters will be aghast that she hasn't been fired from her job yet.
Funnily enough, that happened, but with Essence.com. Parking while Black and everything. Always the first to take the high road, they ended the article with the following:

Originally Posted by Totally Not Hateful Racists At All
One of these days some white person is going to call the cops or authorities on the wrong Black person, and learn a lesson the hard way.

Mind your business, white people. Just mind your business.
Nothing like a little racist threat to round out a news story. I'm trying to picture that line in Newsweek or something. Even more thought provoking if you reversed the race roles. What fun.

https://www.essence.com/news/politic...ear-crosswalk/

But the Woke Folk still haven't noticed this thread. Been a couple days, so I'll give them a head start:

Thermal: You know, I don't think Crosswalk Cathy was necessarily racist here.

Fictitious poster CheckYerPrivilege: That's because you are such a filthy racist that you can't be reasoned with.

Thermal: No, it's just that she didn't even see the owners of the car...

Fictitious poster BabbleOnAndOn: I'm surprised that some posters can even see the keyboard with that Klan hood over their eyes.

Thermal: Wut?

BabbleOnAndOn: I'm not speaking to you.

Thermal: Well, ok. Is there any reason to think this Cathy is racist?

CheckYerPrivilege: You're such a racist that you can't even think straight.

There ya go guys. Got the preliminaries out of the way. Have at it!

eta, forgot: the original OP Fb video of Crosswalk Cathy seems to have been taken down

Last edited by Thermal; 8th November 2018 at 08:50 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 09:55 PM   #12
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
No, no, no. That's not how this works. See, if the victim is identified in the title as black, and the aggressor specifically identified as white, it's a racial issue. The guys in your link are specifically identified as 'youngsters', not black at all. There is no race issue here. Move along people.
That's another aspect. The Portland Mercury ran the following headline (since slightly amended):

Quote:
Woman Calls Cops on Portland Man’s Parking Job. She’s White. He’s Black.
(Later they crossed out the word "Cops" and replaced it with "City".)

Imagine the headline without those last two sentences. It's a non-story. "Woman Calls Cops on Portland Man’s Parking Job." Who cares? People who park illegally get reported by other people every day. People get parking tickets and get their car towed every day all over America. This isn't newsworthy at all, unless you can make it into a racial incident.

Secondly, imagine if Newspapers routinely did that in, say, crime stories.

"Man rapes woman. He's black. She's white." Think anyone would accuse the newspaper of racism there?

I mean, do they really think that "Crosswalk Cathy" wouldn't have done the same thing in that situation if the owner of the car was white? (likely she didn't know whose car it was when she made the call, just that it was parked illegally.)
Old 9th November 2018, 12:07 AM   #13
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

This is Portland. Bike access to crosswalks is sacrosanct and transcends race, color or creed. You just don't block them. How is the unicyclist playing bagpipes, wearing a Darth Vader mask painted in Oregon Ducks colors going to get across the street if you block a crosswalk/bike lane?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 01:45 AM   #14
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Yes, the way the owner of the parked car and the angry twitter mob acted was terrible. But somehow I'm detecting an undercurrent of 'all those 'while black' threads are overreactions and not indicative of racism'.
I won't be applying for the MDC with my mind reading skills, but can anyone tell me if that's the message I'm supposed to get here?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 02:39 AM   #15
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Yes, the way the owner of the parked car and the angry twitter mob acted was terrible. But somehow I'm detecting an undercurrent of 'all those 'while black' threads are overreactions and not indicative of racism'.
I won't be applying for the MDC with my mind reading skills, but can anyone tell me if that's the message I'm supposed to get here?
Not me. Maybe some of them were, but that's on a case-by-case basis.

This sort of story has become a genre now. The perceived racist is tagged with a name like "Crosswalk Cathy" in this case or "BBQ Becky" in another one and vilified, doxxed and generally harassed. And I'm not saying there's no justification in any of these cases, but the mobs can get pretty vindictive.
Quote:
Sarah Braasch having her life ruined is absolutely hilarious and that kind of story will never not bring a smile to my face
But each case is different and I'm not trying to make any kind of blanket statement about them.
Old 9th November 2018, 06:47 AM   #16
Distracted1
Philosopher

Replace "all" with "many of", and add that the over reactions likely do more harm than good in a "boy who cried wolf" kind of way (among others) and I think you have grokked the undercurrent fairly accurately.

You might further examine that one of the justifications for the actions of the "Parker" from the article amounted to "these people are moving into our neighborhood and changing an established tone". An attitude with historical precedent that may not be the way to enlightenment.

Last edited by Distracted1; 9th November 2018 at 08:44 AM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 06:55 AM   #17
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Feet to the fire. They bug me sometimes because at the end of the day they are still anecdotes (or context-less examples) and the plural of anecdotes is still not data even when the anecdotes and the data agree.

Now the problem with this is that the raw data we have about actual objective, society wide factors which have been collected that can show us racism is still a thing. We don't have to rely on viral videos and PunnyWhitePeopleName JobTitle memes.

I get it these real world, street levels examples are more visceral, hit us on an emotional level more but that's a double edge sword.
Old 9th November 2018, 07:39 AM   #18
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I would take it a step further and opine that they are not visceral examples, but lousy examples. Not a double edged sword but a plastic one. Many of them (Barbeque Becky, Mowing the Lawn) are people just being jerks. Everybody deals with them, and many of the the stories as presented show no racist element. They are freaking paper tigers.

So now we have, for skeptical consideration, Crosswalk Cathy. Lambasted as another racist white woman and indicative of the black experience in America. Right? Anybody?
Old 9th November 2018, 07:55 AM   #19
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
That's another aspect. The Portland Mercury ran the following headline (since slightly amended):

(Later they crossed out the word "Cops" and replaced it with "City".)

Imagine the headline without those last two sentences. It's a non-story. "Woman Calls Cops on Portland Man’s Parking Job." Who cares? People who park illegally get reported by other people every day. People get parking tickets and get their car towed every day all over America. This isn't newsworthy at all, unless you can make it into a racial incident.

Secondly, imagine if Newspapers routinely did that in, say, crime stories.

"Man rapes woman. He's black. She's white." Think anyone would accuse the newspaper of racism there?

I mean, do they really think that "Crosswalk Cathy" wouldn't have done the same thing in that situation if the owner of the car was white? (likely she didn't know whose car it was when she made the call, just that it was parked illegally.)
This has been my argument for lo these many LWB threads. It's not just in the biased presentation of the stories, which shouldn't pass the most preliminary skeptical muster, but that these people are really having their lives trashed by the SJW outrage. And like Crosswalk Cathy, some of them appear to have done nothing vaguely racist. But they are crucified nonetheless.

The SJWs claim to be fighting for awareness of racism. The only evidence of racism we see here is in the black couples reaction, the twittersphere pitchfork brigade, and of course the reporting. Should this not be examined with a critical eye?
Old 9th November 2018, 08:29 AM   #20
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Seems like this is only getting traction in alternative news circles. Certainly not he bad exposure like many of the other "doing x while black" examples. Lady isn't getting blasted on primetime CNN.
Old 9th November 2018, 09:30 AM   #21
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Seems like this is only getting traction in alternative news circles. Certainly not he bad exposure like many of the other "doing x while black" examples. Lady isn't getting blasted on primetime CNN.
Yahoo news and Newsweek ran it. But I think the penny is dropping for a lot of people. These tales of racist whites are not all they're cracked up to be. People are trying too damned hard to portray these stories as being illustrative examples. But they're not.

This one is of course an exception. It is reeeeaaaaalllly clear that there is overt racism going on. Just not by Crosswalk Cathy.
Old 9th November 2018, 10:34 AM   #22
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

They're not indicative of racism. Notice how all the black "victims" in these episodes are acting rude or obnoxious? BBQ Becky called the cops on a group of people starting a fire where it is expressly prohibited. It took three tries before they could find a Starbucks with a White manager who refused to let them into the restroom.

The message we're getting is that black people are uncivilized and unreasonably demanding of special treatment and that other groups should avoid any interaction with them until we can come up with some sort of a final solution to this problem.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 11:29 PM   #23
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Day five of the Crosswalk Cathy thread and still barely half a page. Nice place to stop by for some quiet time.

Rereading the OP, are you questioning the blatancy of the double standard for racist language, rather than the #LWB angle? If so, agreed.
Old 11th November 2018, 12:22 AM   #24
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Day five of the Crosswalk Cathy thread and still barely half a page. Nice place to stop by for some quiet time.

Rereading the OP, are you questioning the blatancy of the double standard for racist language, rather than the #LWB angle? If so, agreed.
I'd question any article with Andy Ngo's name on it. You should, too. I haven't searched real hard, but I can't find any write-ups on this that don't stem from this original source. (He's the genius who misunderstood "alcohol free zones" in the UK to be political correctness gone mad for caving to the muslim minority.)

Further, just what is it you want from the thread? No one's jumping in and defending the idiots who done the parking misdeed. Their reaction certainly seems to be racist or race-baiting at minimum. The way you achieve forum immortality for these threads is to get the miscreants on one political side to jump in to defend their fellow travelers. Evidently the left on these forums isn't so tribal as some of our faux non-partisan members like to accuse them of.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2018, 01:24 AM   #25
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I'd question any article with Andy Ngo's name on it. You should, too. I haven't searched real hard, but I can't find any write-ups on this that don't stem from this original source. (He's the genius who misunderstood "alcohol free zones" in the UK to be political correctness gone mad for caving to the muslim minority.)
Fair enough. His name rang a bell with a negative connotation but I didn't look into it.

Quote:
Further, just what is it you want from the thread? No one's jumping in and defending the idiots who done the parking misdeed. Their reaction certainly seems to be racist or race-baiting at minimum. The way you achieve forum immortality for these threads is to get the miscreants on one political side to jump in to defend their fellow travelers. Evidently the left on these forums isn't so tribal as some of our faux non-partisan members like to accuse them of.
See, they have been pretty much consistent. I was just cross-thread accused of being a racist recently by a poster who argues rather vehemently in favor of the #LWB narrative. Crosswalk Cathy here ticks all the boxes for a LWB story, so I am very curious about what the difference is here, from their POV. In any thread, pretty much the sole criteria for racism on the crackers' part has been lodging some sort of grievance on a black person. Nothing more by way of facts; the rest is assumed.

One of the reasons I joined an International Skeptics' Forum was to be able to discuss touchy subjects like this dispassionately, and with input from global perspectives. I would not have expected rampant tribal posturing based on the name.

Oh, and I'm not sure the absence of hyper-liberals is indicative of anything. The tribal drums are sure to be beat just as loudly if another story comes up that is sliiiiiiightly more ambiguous. I have no reason to think Tribal leaders have seen the light. They are just avoiding it.
Old 11th November 2018, 09:36 AM   #26
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Or maybe there are no tribal leaders on the left?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2018, 11:38 AM   #27
Distracted1
Philosopher

How an incident like this morphed into a "left" "right" issue is pretty interesting.
Do we know the politics of "crosswalk Cathy"?, or of the "Parkers"?

Does making this call preclude Cathy from being on the Left? Are the Parkers to be considered members of the Right because they wish to maintain a specifically defined quality of life in their own neighborhood?
Old 11th November 2018, 11:55 AM   #28
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

This is the problem with clickbait journalism; you need a steady supply of articles about some new "outrage" being committed.

I will say this: the fact that Crosswalk Cathy and Barbecue Becky are national news certainly indicates that racism is much less of a problem than it used to be.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2018, 11:59 AM   #29
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

Oh, and I'm not sure the absence of hyper-liberals is indicative of anything. The tribal drums are sure to be beat just as loudly if another story comes up that is sliiiiiiightly more ambiguous. I have no reason to think Tribal leaders have seen the light. They are just avoiding it.

I can't speak for any of these "hyper-liberals" or "Tribal leaders" you speak of ... not being either ... but for myself, I didn't find anything to object to because I thought it was wrong for the car to be parked in the crosswalk, and for its owners to react the way they did.

What did you think I should do, pretend outrage I didn't feel.

When such incidents are clearly motivated by prejudice I will find fault with them.

This one wasn't.

An honest-to-goodness nothingburger.

I do have to wonder about the motives for starting the thread, though, since it seems to have no goal beyond trying to disparage real incidents of prejudice by mocking them with a thinly disguised parody.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2018, 04:29 PM   #30
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Or maybe there are no tribal leaders on the left?
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I can't speak for any of these "hyper-liberals" or "Tribal leaders" you speak of ... not being either ...
Poor word choice on my part. Just getting bored with saying SJW. Conceded.

Quote:
...but for myself, I didn't find anything to object to because I thought it was wrong for the car to be parked in the crosswalk, and for its owners to react the way they did.

What did you think I should do, pretend outrage I didn't feel.

When such incidents are clearly motivated by prejudice I will find fault with them.

This one wasn't.

An honest-to-goodness nothingburger.
That's the rub, though...most of the LWB threads are nothingburgers, and for the same reason Crosswalk Cathy is. There is never a valid excuse to assign racist motives to one party simply because of the color of their skin and that of their adversary. Barbeque Becky calls the cops? I'll bet she would have called on a gang of whiteys too, because that's what busybody sidewalk superintendents do. But strictly based on their relative skin colors, she was branded a racist. By that metric, so should Cathy, full stop. So my question to the mighty Warriors of Social Justice is: what's different here? Doesn't matter what the Parkers did or said; that's their own issue. What is different about Crosswalk Cathy that she is immune from being dubbed an inarguable racist, as so many before her have been?

Quote:
I do have to wonder about the motives for starting the thread, though, since it seems to have no goal beyond trying to disparage real incidents of prejudice by mocking them with a thinly disguised parody.
I think the OP was taking a different direction with this, more questioning what the hell has racial discourse bottomed out to, where blatantly racist language is fully accepted...as long as you're not white. If I am reading Puppycow correctly, I agree. The reporter should be slammed heartily for his inflammitory language, eclipsing Cathy and the Parkers. But it is tolerated, almost as if a lower standard is provided for such people. And that is not a good thing.
Old 11th November 2018, 06:12 PM   #31
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

So my question to the mighty Warriors of Social Justice is: what's different here? Doesn't matter what the Parkers did or said; that's their own issue. What is different about Crosswalk Cathy that she is immune from being dubbed an inarguable racist, as so many before her have been?
The difference is that she was justified in making the call. They really were parked in a crosswalk and it's probably a good thing to call the city when someone does that. And given that, it's easy to see that her motivation was probably exactly that.

If they had just parked in a parking spot and hadn't yet put the fare in the meter and she called the authorities because she thought they weren't going to, we'd find that motivation unlikely and suddenly a racist motivation would make more sense.

I do agree with you that many of these incidents are much less obviously racist than many posters seem to think, but when someone's actions make sense from a non-racist perspective we can say, okay, that makes sense, and when they don't make sense except in the context of a racist reaction, then we can start to think that racism might be involved. I'm obviously oversimplifying, but I think that's how the logic has been working in these threads and why most people reading this don't see any racism in this case.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2018, 08:03 PM   #32
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
This is the problem with clickbait journalism; you need a steady supply of articles about some new "outrage" being committed.

I will say this: the fact that Crosswalk Cathy and Barbecue Becky are national news certainly indicates that racism is much less of a problem than it used to be.
Alternately, that these always dubious and possible to be interpreted in many ways non-stories are a safe space where pearl-clutching can prevail while assiduously avoiding the Trump-inspired and egged on folks who run people down with their cars, send Rube Goldberg bombs to Trump opponents, go to a supermarket to shoot random black people, and gun down Joos.

If our conservative members here would spent 1/10th the time addressing the actual card-caring bigots performing actual certified bigoted acts as they do discrediting silly page 19 human interest(disinterest) filler, you might actually gain some credibility. "Oh dear, Trump-egged-on creep kills a bunch of people in Pittsburgh. Perhaps we should do something to reclaim the GOP and drive these people to some new party like Bill the Butcher had? Naaah, let's go find a dubious story about someone properly or improperly asking for ID at a swimming pool. We can post enough in there to take the actual murdering sumbitches off the top of the feed."

Conservative interference runners love these stories. "Right Wing Nut Case shoots up a synagogue"? Not so much.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 11th November 2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11th November 2018, 11:34 PM   #33
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think these Living While Black threads were mostly started by conservatives.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 03:02 AM   #34
baron

God yes, we wouldn't want to risk demeaning the importance of threads such as this.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:27 PM   #35
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I don't think these Living While Black threads were mostly started by conservatives.
No, but the massive amount of whataboutism anecdotes are the conservative contribution. Look at the "Massive Wave of Hate Crimes" thread and get back to me on your findings.

Old 13th November 2018, 12:05 PM   #36
Drewbot
Philosopher

I am summarizing for the new readers here, correct me if I'm wrong.

1. White lady calls cops on a car parked illegally
2. car owner gets out of the car and turns out to be black
3. car owner yells at white lady, and tells her to go back to her white neighborhood
4. white lady is actually the racist
5. car owner who is black is monetizing the likeness of the white lady, who is actually the racist.

Is that correct?

Should we assume the white lady supports Trump?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2018, 12:39 PM   #37
baron

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I am summarizing for the new readers here, correct me if I'm wrong.

1. White lady calls cops on a car parked illegally
2. car owner gets out of the car and turns out to be black
3. car owner yells at white lady, and tells her to go back to her white neighborhood
4. white lady is actually the racist
5. car owner who is black is monetizing the likeness of the white lady, who is actually the racist.

Is that correct?

Should we assume the white lady supports Trump?
In the UK even beeping your horn at a car is a hate incident... if there happens to be a black person inside.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/765908...driver-petrol/

Quote:
Speaking to The Sunday Times, he said the woman in front of the elderly couple "was taking ages" to fill up her petrol tank.

He added: "The lady who was driving, in her seventies, peeped on the horn and out flew an Afro-Caribbean lady who screamed abuse at them, went into the kiosk and reported it as a hate crime.
Old 13th November 2018, 01:20 PM   #38
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
In the UK even beeping your horn at a car is a hate incident... if there happens to be a black person inside.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/765908...driver-petrol/
Quote:
Speaking to The Sunday Times, he said the woman in front of the elderly couple "was taking ages" to fill up her petrol tank.

He added: "The lady who was driving, in her seventies, peeped on the horn and out flew an Afro-Caribbean lady who screamed abuse at them, went into the kiosk and reported it as a hate crime.
Honking your horn because you think the person ahead is taking too long filling their car is certainly a twatish thing to do. Even the Mail, though, notes that, "Savidge said she was upset that the incident was recorded as a 'racially aggravated public order offence', despite the fact the other woman told officers it wasn't a hate crime." Sounds more a case of TVP being over-zealous, than the tardy motorist playing the race card.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 13th November 2018 at 01:22 PM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 02:36 PM   #39
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think the OP is like that. I think he/she just found it interesting that there is now one nearly certain "false positive" LWB story making the rounds in the media.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 07:57 PM   #40
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I don't think the OP is like that. I think he/she just found it interesting that there is now one nearly certain "false positive" LWB story making the rounds in the media.
Nearly certain?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events