IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags defamation cases , lawsuits , media criticism , Nathan Phillips , Nick Sandmann , protest incidents , racism charges

Old 20th January 2019, 05:21 PM   #201
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Well, the hats are racist and anyone that wears them is automatically a racist.
I think he was being facetious.
Old 20th January 2019, 05:22 PM   #202
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Where can I buy a MAGA hat?
China.

https://www.wish.com/search/MAGA?&source=search
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 05:25 PM   #203
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
If everyone who voted for Trump is an evil racist, then you have a lot of evil racists
We're gonna need them.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 05:50 PM   #204
The Big Dog

"There was that moment when I realized I've put myself between beast and prey," Phillips said. "These young men were beastly and these old black individuals was their prey, and I stood in between them and so they needed their pounds of flesh and they were looking at me for that."

Nathan Phillips, taking the side of the abusive, homophobic, misogynistic actual hate group.

And that is all you need to know about this ******* Race Grifter

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...eo/2630256002/

Last edited by The Big Dog; 20th January 2019 at 05:52 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 06:30 PM   #205
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
So, here's what I found. <snip for brevity>
Excellent post. Here's current reporting from the NYT, which impresses me as accurate and balanced:

Fuller Picture Emerges of Viral Video Between Native American Man and Catholic Students
Old 20th January 2019, 06:37 PM   #206
The Big Dog

The students were chanting their school slogans to drown out the hate filled homophobic/racist rhetoric of an actual hate group.

They are god damn heroes.

The Resistance should be ******* ashamed.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 06:46 PM   #207
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Excellent post. Here's current reporting from the NYT, which impresses me as accurate and balanced:

Fuller Picture Emerges of Viral Video Between Native American Man and Catholic Students
From the article, his statement:
Quote:
“I realized everyone had cameras and that perhaps a group of adults was trying to provoke a group of teenagers into a larger conflict,” he said.

“I did smile at one point because I wanted him to know that I was not going to become angry, intimidated or be provoked into a larger confrontation,” he said. “I am a faithful Christian and practicing Catholic, and I always try to live up to the ideals my faith teaches me — to remain respectful of others, and to take no action that would lead to conflict or violence.

“I harbor no ill will for this person,” he continued. “I respect this person’s right to protest and engage in free speech activities, and I support his chanting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial any day of the week. I believe he should re-think his tactics of invading the personal space of others, but that is his choice to make.”
--Nick Sandmann

The lynch mob mentality here and in America generally is something to behold.
ETA: Meadmaker, thank you for your thoughtful post

Last edited by portlandatheist; 20th January 2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: ETA
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 06:51 PM   #208
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
From the article, his statement:

--Nick Sandmann
should I read that with Metallica playing in the background?
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 06:51 PM   #209
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I think Gillette is going to have to make a new ad.
Old 20th January 2019, 07:22 PM   #210
The Big Dog

The scumbags on Twitter are still taking the side of the profoundly homophobic hate group.

The Resistance is totally broken.

Thank you Covington Catholic, let the Resistance lay down with their hate group heroes.
Old 20th January 2019, 07:26 PM   #211
angrysoba
Philosophile

Yep, well I've seen enough to say that there was plenty of idiocy to go round that day.

Personally, I find it hard to get upset by the Black Israelites. I saw them once on Louis Theroux and found them hilarious. The way they dress and their beliefs about George III being a very pale-skinned black man just can't be taken seriously enough to make me angry.

The MAGA-hat brats just come across as being the usual loud and annoying teens. I think the fact that there were so many of them means that in some contexts they could come across as intimidating. It doesn't look like the Indian guy was particularly intimidated though, so whatevs...

Travis, maybe you could try some meditation or something, to avoid being permanently outraged. IIRC your posts used to be funny and you seemed to be able to comment rationally on things and employed humour and irony. I would suggest disconnecting from Twitter and Facebook and try and go on holiday somewhere, get drunk, pick up some chicks, or dudes, or whatever and have some fun. The sands of time are slipping by and you don't want to look back on your life and say, "I certainly spent a lot of my time shaking my fist on social media."
Old 20th January 2019, 07:56 PM   #212
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The scumbags on Twitter are still taking the side of the profoundly homophobic hate group.

The Resistance is totally broken.

Thank you Covington Catholic, let the Resistance lay down with their hate group heroes.
Links to hilited part? 'Cuz I kinda suspect this is your fevered imagination at work.

Seems that most of Twitter has bought into the stupid narrative originally promulgated by the god-botherers in support of their sainted leaders. And by that I am referring to the idiots who talked about The Great Peacemaker as having been "surrounded by" the school kids, had his progress impeded by an arrogant white boy, etc...

Bunch of crap! There were several clusters of people filling the steps around the dangerous mob of Black Hebrew Israelites. (Where dangerous equals "not at all" and "mob" equals five guys.) All around the reflecting reflecting pond and various memorials, people come to watch arguments. A crowd gathered after the initial group of Catholic kids, which was only about a dozen, probably tweeted their buddies to come see the argument over on the steps. The kids were on the steps. But there are other wings of spectators left and right of them.

The Great Peacemaker took it upon himself to put himself between the groups. The kids were being mouthy but there's zero evidence of them chanting Trumpette slogans. The best they could do is school pep rally chants. To be sure, there is some mockery. The Tomahawk chop is evident in at least one video, for instance. And I wouldn't be so quick to say that the students chanting along were doing so in "innocent fun". But the blatant hostility claimed by my brothers and sisters on the left is no where to be seen. Evil Smirky Boy did not "block" The Great Peacemaker. The Great Peacemaker decided to bring his magic juju to what he perceived to be the troublemakers. He's in the kid's face. The kid merely did not move.

The above, by the way, editorializing aside, syncs with the narratives of both Evil Smirky Boy and The Great Peacemaker.

Like I said.... Chi idiot decides to take on MMA fighter and get his ass handed to him. Great Peacemaker decides to bring the spirit god of non-conflict,... and it worked, amiright? No one threw any punches at anyone. (snerk)

God-bothering race-baiting idiots trying to draw a crowd and draw a crowd of god-bothering kids and both are interrupted by god-bothering busybodies. Sounds like a lose/lose/lose situation for all parties.

The entire narrative plays out over almost two hours. The intervention is maybe fifteen minutes. Luckily the tribal group had their video running because they got to their viewership first and we thus have useful supplicants twitch-reacting on Twitter.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 08:46 PM   #213
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

What I see in that video is kids being kids. A dude walks into the crowd beating a drum and chanting in a foreign language (are those words he's saying? Or just tones? I really don't know.) and what do they do?

Ahem. Foreign language?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 08:48 PM   #214
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Ahem. Foreign language?

A Freudian slip tells you something about the person who made it!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 09:35 PM   #215
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Both the Catholic thing and the Native American thing have been dubbed "marches." Maybe if they were marches there wouldn't have been hours for people to stay put, getting increasingly annoyed at each other.

Phillips sounds like a loon.

ETA: I missed the part where the anti-abortion March ended and they were hanging out waiting for the bus.

Last edited by Minoosh; 20th January 2019 at 10:07 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 09:59 PM   #216
Apathia
Philosopher

“I did smile at one point because I wanted him to know that I was not going to become angry, intimidated or be provoked into a larger confrontation,”

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 10:47 PM   #217
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I saw a C.S. Lewis quote that I think is relevant here:

Quote:
Suppose one reads a story of filthy atrocities in the paper. Then suppose that something turns up suggesting that the story might not be quite true, or not quite so bad as it was made out. Is one's first feeling, "Thank God, even they aren't quite so bad as that," or is it a feeling of disappointment, and even a determination to cling to the first story for the sheer pleasure of thinking your enemies as bad as possible? If it is the second then it is, I am afraid, the first step in a process which, if followed to the end, will make us into devils. You see, one is beginning to wish that black was a little blacker. If we give that wish its head, later on we shall wish to see grey as black, and then to see white itself as black. Finally, we shall insist on seeing everything—God and our friends and ourselves included—as bad, and not be able to stop doing it: we shall be fixed forever in a universe of pure hatred.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 11:40 PM   #218
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I saw a C.S. Lewis quote that I think is relevant here:
Is this Lewis cat a member here, because that should be nominated.
Old 21st January 2019, 12:28 AM   #219
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Well, talk of how morbid and dark things seemed for me in those days aside let us examine the counter argument being put forth here.
I know you said "shortly" after Trump's election in the OP but you failed to give any impression that your views later changed. So, many people here may have assumed you still felt that way. That seems inconsiderate to the people here who were genuinely concerned for your mental health.

Nathan walked over to the kids and....that excuses everything?
I wouldn't say everything, but yes, it changes a lot. Those kids did not seek out a confrontation, as far as I can tell. Maybe the MAGA hats were intended to get a rise out of people, but maybe not. They come from a small Kentucky city and might not be fully aware how many people despise Trump. And even if they were trolling, so what? They have the right to wear hats with political slogans on them.

If Russians wanted to design a situation to further polarize Americans they could not have picked a better incident. Maybe we should stage videos of people getting along and talking with respect. But those probably wouldn't go viral. Democrats and Trump lovers go at it - you won't believe what happens next!

Last edited by Minoosh; 21st January 2019 at 02:06 AM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 01:19 AM   #220
Meadmaker

Ahem. Foreign language?
Well, what do you think? It certainly was foreign to his audience, but do you think it was a language that Mr. Phillips spoke as his native tongue? I'm guessing his native tongue is English, but it is at least conceivable that he might be bilingual in Omaha, which is his tribe. Do you think it's an Omaha song? At the time I wrote the post, I knew it was some sort of intertribal song, so I figured that whatever language it was in, it wasn't his language, so, yeah. Foreign. To everyone involved, including the singer.

At the time I wrote the post I figured the language was either Lakota, or nothing. I decided to look it up. As it turns out, the latter was correct. The song was composed in the 1970s and the sounds of the song are not words at all. There is some speculation that it was inspired by a more traditional song with an older pedigree, but there's no definitive history prior to a recording in the early 70s.

And normally, I would give credit, maybe even a , for a clever turn of phrase on your part, even if technically incorrect, except that it inspired this piece of drivel:

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Last edited by Meadmaker; 21st January 2019 at 01:25 AM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 02:47 AM   #221
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

At the time I wrote the post I figured the language was either Lakota, or nothing. I decided to look it up.
You know what? I think you are telling porkies.

I think you had no idea what you posted until zooterkin pointed it out to you. You slipped and inadvertently allowed a little of your racial bias to peek out, and when you realised your mistake, instead of fessing up, you took fake umbrage, and have now made up this cover story.

And normally, I would give credit, maybe even a , for a clever turn of phrase on your part, even if technically incorrect, except that it inspired this piece of drivel:

You might call it drivel; I call it a conclusion based on what I have seen before.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 03:34 AM   #222
baron

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That's about the silliest thing I've read in this thread and there are a lot of silly things written in it.

Those things are so abhorrently and obviously racist and misogynistic that I don't think anyone has to say anything explicitly condemning them. It's understood. Well, at least by anyone who isn't looking just to score some cheap 'win'. Does someone really have to point out and condemn the KKK, David Duke, or any other racist idiot in order not to be accused of not condemning them?
Congratulations, you win the prize for the most hilariously ridiculous post of the whole thread, taking apologism to soaring new lows.

"Oh, of course nobody condemned on the black group for their overt racism, homophobia and calls to violence because they were just too obnoxious! Everybody focused on the white group because they were nowhere near as bad!" LOL!

Do you actually believe that ***** ? Have you, in some neurological shenanigans worthy of its own scientific study, convinced yourself that what you are saying actually makes sense?

The group indulging in by far the worst hatred is practically ignored, whilst the group which exhibits little to none of that behaviour is vilified across half the Western world. Of course! It all makes sense. Just like if the school kids had been black and had stared at a Native American, and the Israelites had been white and shouting racist epithets and homophobic taunts and threatening violence, you would have course not have condemned the whites because their vile behaviour would have been too obvious! Duh, silly me, what was I thinking?

Can anybody beat that crock?

Last edited by baron; 21st January 2019 at 03:36 AM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 07:08 AM   #223
The Big Dog

absolutely no question about it, this person has called a verified, homophobic racist hate group who was taunting and threatening a group of high school students (and others, including this idiot's own group) "prey" and as a result the high school victims of the hate group are getting death threats.

That is pure race grifting and the left's viral hysteria machine in a nutshell.

But a few of them had on Maga hats, say "skeptics."

Pathetic
Old 21st January 2019, 07:20 AM   #224
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Black_Hebrew_Israelites

A bit more about the group that our hero was ignoring.
Don’t forget this one, too
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_Church
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 07:37 AM   #225
plague311
Great minds think...

absolutely no question about it, this person has called a verified, homophobic racist hate group who was taunting and threatening a group of high school students (and others, including this idiot's own group) "prey" and as a result the high school victims of the hate group are getting death threats.

That is pure race grifting and the left's viral hysteria machine in a nutshell.

But a few of them had on Maga hats, say "skeptics."

Pathetic
A total whataboutism, but do you remember the time that the 18 year old girl got rape threats because she had the nerve to ask Trump a question?

This isn't exclusive to the left, like you're trying to make it be. It sucks, it's stupid, and there certainly are several on the left that have bought a narrative. Again though, there has been zero violence, there has been zero property and personal damage, and that's a good thing. The people making death threats should be caught, charged, and serve whatever sentence they're given. Try to check your fake ass outrage though. These kids aren't innocent little chitlins caught in the midst of something they didn't understand. They were actively making racial signs and provoking.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 07:43 AM   #226
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

How long until The PDJT invites that kid to a White House dinner?
Of hamberders, no doubt.
Old 21st January 2019, 08:13 AM   #227
Belz...
Fiend God

I told him he was crazy to bring a kid into the world of Trump
You know Trump's not there forever, right?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 08:34 AM   #228
Belz...
Fiend God

Wow this thread is a masterclass of partisan thinking, on both sides.

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Make America Great Again isn't a racist sentiment.
Not explicitly, but the insinuation is that the US isn't as great as it used to, and it's mostly the fault of immigrants and foreigners. Sounds a bit racist to me.

That's true. Except in practice, it will never go both ways with endorsements, because schools are institutionally leftist.
Should I go the serious route and ask you what you mean, or make the obvious joke that you seem to be saying that education is leftist, and ignorance conservative? Hmmm... I'll try the former.

Nathan walked over to the kids and....that excuses everything?
I can't decide whether you're deliberately ignoring the posts you're refering to, or if you just didn't read or understand them. I'll try the former.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 08:47 AM   #229
The Big Dog

I fully expected that anti-catholic bigotry is in the forefront of this race grifter fiasco.

Say, lets post some actual quotes from the new darlings of the left shall we?

Homophbic actual hate group

Race grifter "Elder" Phillips defends these ******* ******** as "prey."
Old 21st January 2019, 08:48 AM   #230
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Should I go the serious route and ask you what you mean, or make the obvious joke that you seem to be saying that education is leftist, and ignorance conservative? Hmmm... I'll try the former.
Teachers and school administrators lean heavily Democrat. When a profession has a large political tilt, the institutional priorities of that profession will reflect that tilt. Is this really news?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 08:50 AM   #231
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
By his own words, he approached hoping to diffuse the confrontation. You might complain about his naivite but not what happened.
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
His energy of peace was supposed to calm stormy hearts and reconcile communities. It makes sense in context of their religious/mythological-social beliefs.
Not sure I believe him. Hell, I'm not sure I believe anyone anymore.

This thread is way too broken along party lines for me to trust anyone's analysis.

Well, the hats are racist and anyone that wears them is automatically a racist. That doesn't mean the other group there weren't also racist.
It must be great to construct such a simplistic world for yourself, avoiding any nuance or complexity from the real world.

The Resistance should be ******* ashamed.
Excuse me, what's "the resistance"?

No it doesn't. Don't read too much into things.

Old 21st January 2019, 08:52 AM   #232
Belz...
Fiend God

Teachers and school administrators lean heavily Democrat. When a profession has a large political tilt, the institutional priorities of that profession will reflect that tilt. Is this really news?
I'm rarely interested by the political leanings of professions. I know it's off topic but, would you happen to have a source for that?

Old 21st January 2019, 08:55 AM   #233
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I fully expected that anti-catholic bigotry is in the forefront of this race grifter fiasco.

Say, lets post some actual quotes from the new darlings of the left shall we?

Homophbic actual hate group

Race grifter "Elder" Phillips defends these ******* ******** as "prey."
While I don't disagree with your characterization of the Black Israelites, your link isn't as advertised. It's a link to random post on twitter, posted by someone who doesn't know the difference between "indigenous" and "ingenious". If it's your aim to provide evidence that this group is what you (and most people) think it is, direct evidence would be useful.
Old 21st January 2019, 08:56 AM   #234
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay seriously are parents telling their children they'll die if they don't achieve X amount of outrage over "the other side" every 24 hours?

No matter how bad things get (to counter the "Oh so you're saying these are good people?" retorts before they happen) I never want to get to the point where I'm addicted to outrage like the big players in this thread are.

And an open letter to everyone who's gonna have a problem with this... your anger (or at least the way you are manifesting it) doesn't make you better at fixing the problems you think these people are causing.

But please another 20 pages of "Libtards" and "Orange man bad!" back and forth.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 21st January 2019 at 08:57 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 09:04 AM   #235
The Big Dog

The entire video has been linked in this thread repeatedly, and that is a transcript of quotes, which constitute just a short segment of the unadulterated hate spewed by the Black Hebrews.

Literally have to spoon feed people.

here is is again.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...video&src=typd
Old 21st January 2019, 09:06 AM   #236
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm rarely interested by the political leanings of professions. I know it's off topic but, would you happen to have a source for that?
For example:
http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/
79% Democrat to 21% Republican. This is an indirect survey, using campaign contributions as a proxy, so the real numbers will be a bit different, but the tilt is pretty clear.

But even if we decide that this tilt isn't uniform, so that some places tilt left and some tilt right, the problem will remain. It would also remain if schools all tilted to the right. School administrators will have political leanings, and those leanings will affect what kinds of protests they support students participating in and which they don't. It isn't really better if students are going to pro-choice protests in California and pro-life protests in Texas, that isn't balance. It won't work for schools to support any and all protests (students will just start protesting in order to skip school), so the only way to achieve actual balance is to not support any student protests. And that policy better aligns with the purpose of schools in the first place.
Old 21st January 2019, 09:06 AM   #237
Drewbot
Philosopher

isn't this exactly how Freedom of speech is supposed to work?

Groups with differing backgrounds and beliefs, talking in a public square, without resorting to violence?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 09:09 AM   #238
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

Groups with differing backgrounds and beliefs, talking in a public square, without resorting to violence?
I have a huge problem with them chanting their school song, but that is just because I dislike displays of pride in dumb things.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 09:11 AM   #239
Belz...
Fiend God

For example:
http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/
79% Democrat to 21% Republican. This is an indirect survey, using campaign contributions as a proxy, so the real numbers will be a bit different, but the tilt is pretty clear.
Thanks for the link. It's refreshing to see that we're having a productive conversation for once, and on politics, to boot!

For the record, I have no problem with such a tilt in a profession, just like I don't have a problem with a conservative tilt in government.

But 79 to 21, really? No independants or non-respondants?

Old 21st January 2019, 09:12 AM   #240
baron

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

Did anyone suggest any group should be arrested?
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics