IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags defamation cases , lawsuits , media criticism , Nathan Phillips , Nick Sandmann , protest incidents , racism charges

Old 21st January 2019, 11:59 AM   #281
baron

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That isn't the point. The point is that posters in this thread, from both sides, have predictably segregated themselves into "sides", and I can understand Joe's mounting frustration with this sort of stuff.
Pots and kettles. I personally haven't come at it from any political side. I've gone by what I see in the video, and pointed out that the persons best behaved in the footage have been vilified the most, and vice-versa.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:05 PM   #282
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
You are asking me to cut and paste news articles from several dozen publications vilifying the school kids, ignoring the hate-mongering preachers and praising the trouble-making Native American?
Yes, though several dozen isn't necessary. Make sure you pick outlets that can safely be identified as "the left".

I think we can all agree that the media is guilty of sensationalism. Let's not confuse garden variety sensationalism with race card politics, to the extent possible.

Quote:
Or are you artificially restricting the response to posts in this thread. In which case, you'll find I've answered this very question not so long ago.
Quite the opposite. Citations to a few random, anonymous people on the internet wouldn't be very persuasive. If "the left" is guilty as accused, I'd expect to see some prominent names.
Old 21st January 2019, 12:07 PM   #283
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
all I've heard/seen is 'a veteran of the Vietnam era' which I found odd wording.
For many benefits and general status issues, any member of the military who served during wartime is considered a veteran of that war. E.g George W Bush is considered a "Vietnam veteran" even though he was never in Vietnam. I got a scholarship for children of Korean War veterans, even though my dad never left Fort Leonard Wood. Sometimes, the term Vietnam war era veteran is used in order to emphasize that all in service during the war are considered veterans, regardless of where they actually spent their time.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:09 PM   #284
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The last marine combat infantryman brigade left in 1971, you saying he was part of the guard force at the embassy?

17 year old "recon ranger" combat Marine?
Military History Pedant here.

Marine advisors were still in-country, and were integral to stopping the NVA Easter Offensive.

He could have been part of the 31st MAU when they evacuated the embassy.
or, the 9th MAB which executed the recovery of American and Vietnamese civilians.

Then of course combat-wise, he could have been part of the rescue of the crew of the USS Mayaguez.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:11 PM   #285
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.wsls.com/news/national/n...rial-encounter

as has been noted, there is 2 hours of video with all this documented. to even question this is laughable at this point.
To even question what? I'm not sure we're on the same page here.
Old 21st January 2019, 12:13 PM   #286
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
For many benefits and general status issues, any member of the military who served during wartime is considered a veteran of that war. E.g George W Bush is considered a "Vietnam veteran" even though he was never in Vietnam. I got a scholarship for children of Korean War veterans, even though my dad never left Fort Leonard Wood. Sometimes, the term Vietnam war era veteran is used in order to emphasize that all in service during the war are considered veterans, regardless of where they actually spent their time.
I can understand what you posted but 'Vietnam veteran' and 'a veteran of the Vietnam era' are not the same. I was alive during Vietnam so I could be 'a veteran of the Vietnam era' with 'veteran' applying to age rather than serving.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:14 PM   #287
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
To even question what? I'm not sure we're on the same page here.
I'm pretty sure the black Hebrew Israelites are not some right wing trump supporters.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:14 PM   #288
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Military History Pedant here.

Marine advisors were still in-country, and were integral to stopping the NVA Easter Offensive.

He could have been part of the 31st MAU when they evacuated the embassy.
or, the 9th MAB which executed the recovery of American and Vietnamese civilians.

Then of course combat-wise, he could have been part of the rescue of the crew of the USS Mayaguez.
Not sure any of those fit his story of being a recon ranger combat infantryman. However, he could have been, certainly. Was he?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:16 PM   #289
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Someone found the school's YouTube page and either someone played the long con well or the school might have some deep running culture issues.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UrbanAchi...22734475366400
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:19 PM   #290
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pretty sure the black Hebrew Israelites are not some right wing trump supporters.
(1) I don't question that they are hateful lunatics who put on an ugly show. Pay better attention please.
(2) Are you saying they're lefties? As best I can tell, they seem to be equal opportunity haters. Mind you, I never heard of them until this incident.
(3) Even if they are lefties, using a handful of frothing extremists to tar "the left" is silly.

Last edited by varwoche; 21st January 2019 at 12:20 PM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:19 PM   #291
baron

Yes, though several dozen isn't necessary. Make sure you pick outlets that can safely be identified as "the left".
You mean like the Guardian? I didn't even have to use Google, I knew very well what I'd find; an article vilifying the kids based on proven lies, detailing other groups and individuals who had also vilified them, and not a single mention of the racist, homophobic, violence-promoting hate preachers.

Would you like another one or are you readying yourself to admit you're wrong?

Last edited by baron; 21st January 2019 at 12:21 PM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:25 PM   #292
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Someone found the school's YouTube page and either someone played the long con well or the school might have some deep running culture issues.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UrbanAchi...22734475366400
Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!
Why not try a search to find something else?
Old 21st January 2019, 12:27 PM   #293
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
That must of literally been within the last 5 minutes. The link came up for me right after it was first posted, but I hadn't had a chance to give it more than a quick glance so I can't speak to how accurate/meaningful it was. (It was literally a screenshot of blurry still from a Youtube video so not exactly super-clear.)
Old 21st January 2019, 12:27 PM   #294
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Got the same thing, but was able to view it 5 minutes ago. Hmmm...

edit: Ninja'd
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:29 PM   #295
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Got the same thing, but was able to view it 5 minutes ago. Hmmm...

edit: Ninja'd
https://mobile.twitter.com/MarcusHWe...70294467751937

New link.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:29 PM   #296
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Why do you keep posting the same thing, attacking posters for discussing the topic? I seem to remember a thread not so long ago where you got pretty outraged and, over the course of two full weeks, made what must be approaching 100 posts on the topic of a man asked to leave a yogurt shop.
I think it's this particular poster's way of shaking a fist at the computer and yelling "this is a stupid thread".

I, myself, am guilty of this as well. In the movie threads I find myself yelling at the screen "Are you guys still talking about this? It's a stupid ******* Star Trek movie! Get over it!"
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:31 PM   #297
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Report first, ask questions later.
Click bait first, then report, and then.... Oh look new click bait.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:34 PM   #298
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Claims to have been something called a "Marine Recon Ranger"??

Is that even a thing?
"I wanna be a Recon Ranger
I wanna live a life of danger"

Standard Marine Corps running cadence.
Old 21st January 2019, 12:37 PM   #299
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
"I wanna be a Recon Ranger
I wanna live a life of danger"

Standard Marine Corps running cadence.
Yeah, I saw that, probably where he got it from, which would be more evidence that he was totally full of ****
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:37 PM   #300
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

You mean like the Guardian? I didn't even have to use Google, I knew very well what I'd find; an article vilifying the kids based on proven lies, detailing other groups and individuals who had also vilified them, and not a single mention of the racist, homophobic, violence-promoting hate preachers.

Would you like another one or are you readying yourself to admit you're wrong?
Seeing as I haven't made a claim, why would I ready myself to admit I'm wrong? You're jumping to hasty, (apparently) tribal conclusions.

Moreover, I don't know that the Guardian is a left wing publication.

Moreover, the school's reaction -- which this article leads with -- lends credence to the biased narrative.

Moreover, while "several dozen" is too many, one is way too few.
Old 21st January 2019, 12:40 PM   #301
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You're jumping to hasty, (apparently) tribal conclusions.
Careful there apparently pointing at that literally nothing is actually being honestly discussed here and everything is just the two tribes trying to point score by arguing over what rabble-rouser belongs to who as if it goddamn matters at the end of the day will get you a talking to.
Old 21st January 2019, 12:45 PM   #302
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Okay seriously are parents telling their children they'll die if they don't achieve X amount of outrage over "the other side" every 24 hours?

No matter how bad things get (to counter the "Oh so you're saying these are good people?" retorts before they happen) I never want to get to the point where I'm addicted to outrage like the big players in this thread are.

And an open letter to everyone who's gonna have a problem with this... your anger (or at least the way you are manifesting it) doesn't make you better at fixing the problems you think these people are causing.

But please another 20 pages of "Libtards" and "Orange man bad!" back and forth.
Travis and Big Dog want the entire "other side" cleansed from the Earth to hear them talk.
Go start a thread to whine about it FMF then.
What's the point of arbitrarily declaring everyone part of one of only two sides if I can't use it to get angry quicker to feed my outrage addiction?
I feel your definition of "topic" and my definition of "topic" aren't the same thing.

Here's a hint "Grrr Stupid libtards" (shakes fist) and "Grr Orange man bad!" (Shakes fist back) aren't the topic.

Since I don't see any active threads on this board entitled "A place for the dozen or so outrage addicts to go to use any excuse to shake your first at the other side to end and with no purpose" I'll stick my understanding of what is and isn't on topic, thanks a bunch.
Careful there apparently pointing at that literally nothing is actually being honestly discussed here and everything is just the two tribes trying to point score by arguing over what rabble-rouser belongs to who as if it goddamn matters at the end of the day will get you a talking to.
At least our correspondent can feel superior to both sides.

Old 21st January 2019, 12:46 PM   #303
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

How long until The PDJT invites that kid to a White House dinner?
Of hamberders, no doubt.
Served on a Friday - is it still fish on Fridays for Catholics?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:48 PM   #304
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

At least our correspondent can feel superior to both sides.

Go whine about in FMF then.
Old 21st January 2019, 12:48 PM   #305
plague311
Great minds think...

I see a bunch of conversation by people who haven't picked a side at all. One is the person you're replying to, and the other is myself. If you're going to go through a spittle filled rant, at least do it at a time when it's true. Otherwise you look like an old man screaming at a cloud.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:50 PM   #306
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Now hold on, there. The RCC angle is definitely throwing a spanner into all the nothingness.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 12:50 PM   #307
baron

Seeing as I haven't made a claim, why would I ready myself to admit I'm wrong? You're jumping to hasty, (apparently) tribal conclusions.

Moreover, I don't know that the Guardian is a left wing publication.
You do now. It's the most leftwing newspaper in the UK.

Quote:
At the other end of the spectrum the Guardian is seen as Britain’s most left-wing newspaper, closely followed by the Mirror. Whilst Britons were about equally likely to see both publications as slightly left-of-centre or fairly left-wing, slightly more considered the Guardian to be “very left-wing”, at 16% compared to The Mirror’s 11%.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...uks-newspapers

Moreover, the school's reaction -- which this article leads with -- lends credence to the biased narrative.
It doesn't, it lends credence to the idea that it's better to apologise without cause than run the gauntlet of nationwide hate campaigns.

Moreover, while "several dozen" is too many, one is way too few.
I'm sure you can track down a few more. However, it's worth noting that as the evidence against these claims of 'harassment' and 'racism' by the school kids can be found by watching the original video, even the leftist media (in part) has posted limp-wristed equivocations suggesting the situation might not be as cut and dried as they originally made out. Just an Oops-accidentally-ruined-someone's-life-over-a-bunch-of-lies moment, happens to us all.

Last edited by baron; 21st January 2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 21st January 2019, 12:52 PM   #308
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I see a bunch of conversation by people who haven't picked a side at all. One is the person you're replying to, and the other is myself. If you're going to go through a spittle filled rant, at least do it at a time when it's true. Otherwise you look like an old man screaming at a cloud.
But am I yelling at the left or right cloud? That's all that matters.
Old 21st January 2019, 12:59 PM   #309
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Literally have to spoon feed people.
Figuratively.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 01:00 PM   #310
The Big Dog

From the Occupy Democrats facebook page, a deliberate doxxing project for a group of high schoolers

Link here

all because of race grifters.
Old 21st January 2019, 01:04 PM   #311
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

From the Occupy Democrats facebook page, a deliberate doxxing project for a group of high schoolers

Link here

all because of race grifters.
Of course the Black Hebrew Israelites get a pass.
Old 21st January 2019, 01:04 PM   #312
Hungry81
Master Poster

Congratulations, you win the prize for the most hilariously ridiculous post of the whole thread, taking apologism to soaring new lows.

"Oh, of course nobody condemned on the black group for their overt racism, homophobia and calls to violence because they were just too obnoxious! Everybody focused on the white group because they were nowhere near as bad!" LOL!

Do you actually believe that ***** ? Have you, in some neurological shenanigans worthy of its own scientific study, convinced yourself that what you are saying actually makes sense?

The group indulging in by far the worst hatred is practically ignored, whilst the group which exhibits little to none of that behaviour is vilified across half the Western world. Of course! It all makes sense. Just like if the school kids had been black and had stared at a Native American, and the Israelites had been white and shouting racist epithets and homophobic taunts and threatening violence, you would have course not have condemned the whites because their vile behaviour would have been too obvious! Duh, silly me, what was I thinking?

Can anybody beat that crock?
You are right here.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 01:06 PM   #313
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Congratulations, you win the prize for the most hilariously ridiculous post of the whole thread, taking apologism to soaring new lows.

"Oh, of course nobody condemned on the black group for their overt racism, homophobia and calls to violence because they were just too obnoxious! Everybody focused on the white group because they were nowhere near as bad!" LOL!

Do you actually believe that ***** ? Have you, in some neurological shenanigans worthy of its own scientific study, convinced yourself that what you are saying actually makes sense?

The group indulging in by far the worst hatred is practically ignored, whilst the group which exhibits little to none of that behaviour is vilified across half the Western world. Of course! It all makes sense. Just like if the school kids had been black and had stared at a Native American, and the Israelites had been white and shouting racist epithets and homophobic taunts and threatening violence, you would have course not have condemned the whites because their vile behaviour would have been too obvious! Duh, silly me, what was I thinking?

Can anybody beat that crock?
Your hyperbolic misrepresentation of what I said does not surprise me. It's rather par for the course for you. But we can agree on one thing you said:

Quote:
Duh, silly me, what was I thinking?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 01:08 PM   #314
The Big Dog

Of course the Black Hebrew Israelites get a pass.
what is ridiculous is that the so called peace maker deliberately ignored the actual hate group who were calling them demons, to go get some B-roll in front of a bunch of kids because they were wearing MAGA hats.

That is pure race grifting.

Now they are getting death threats
Old 21st January 2019, 01:10 PM   #315
plague311
Great minds think...

But am I yelling at the left or right cloud? That's all that matters.
I don't care, so it doesn't matter to me. That's for sure.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 01:10 PM   #316
The Big Dog

A CNN contributor fantasizes about punching kids in the face:

Bakari Sellers

Last edited by The Big Dog; 21st January 2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 21st January 2019, 01:13 PM   #317
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
This. The racist, bigoted, homophobic caricature of teenagers wearing MAGA hats the left has constructed in their heads was on full display at the Lincoln Memorial. The only problem is it wasn't the white kids displaying that caricature, it was the black guys who were. Now that it is proven that someone other than white Donald Trump supporters were behaving in this manner, it's time to tone down the rhetoric and reconsider jumping to conclusions without all the facts.
Its almost like people of any skin colour and political/social affilliation can be dickwads.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 01:13 PM   #318
baron

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Your hyperbolic misrepresentation of what I said does not surprise me. It's rather par for the course for you.
It's exactly what you said. I rephrased it but you said it.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Those things are so abhorrently and obviously racist and misogynistic that I don't think anyone has to say anything explicitly condemning them.
You couldn't have been clearer. Madness.
Old 21st January 2019, 01:15 PM   #319
baron

A CNN contributor fantacizes about punching kids in the face:

Bakari Sellers
The comment on that is priceless. A MAGA hat wearer 'gleefully bothering' a Native American! These people are certifiable.
Old 21st January 2019, 01:17 PM   #320
Hungry81
Master Poster

My lasting impression is that the media has really screwed up badly in the last couple days, running stories (scoops) without proper context or fact-checking. First the Buzzfeed story on Friday, now this one.
Yes it clearly shows how incompetence fuels stupidity.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics