IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , racism incidents , Ralph Northam , Virginia politics

Old 1st February 2019, 03:17 PM   #1
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Governor Northam in Blackfacde or KKK gear

Looks like Virginia Governor Northam's yearbook has a picture of him in either a KKK outfit or in blackface.

Wonder how this escaped notice through all these elections?

https://twitter.com/virginianpilot/s...44446183477248

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:29 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Is this the guy that's also in favor of abortions up through the start of the fourth trimester?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:38 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So you equate attempted rape, lying under oath in a SCOTUS confirmation hearing, and having a drinking problem with dressing up in an insensitive costume in the 80s?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:44 PM   #5
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So you equate attempted rape, lying under oath in a SCOTUS confirmation hearing, and having a drinking problem with dressing up in an insensitive costume in the 80s?
Mmm, I love me some Rule of So!

"Alleged" Skeptic Ginger, remember. Kavanaugh? Allegedly in high school. The governor? Medical School graduate.

By the way, I was literally jonesing for someone to bring up the drinking thing... From the good governor's Medical Yearbook:

"there are more old drunks than old doctor's in this world, so I think I'll have another beer."

Sounds like a drinking problem Skeptic Ginger!

Oh baby i knew that was going to be glorious!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:45 PM   #6
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Wow. Not just blackface either, but the whole minstrel-show "dandy" kit and kaboodle. And in 1984, no less.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:48 PM   #7
Whip
Graduate Poster

this can't end well
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:50 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Governor Northeim has some 'splanin to do.....
What gets to me in that in 1984 anybody though this was somehow funny and amusing.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:51 PM   #9
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
this can't end well
He's got to go.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:52 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

At least he can always learn to code.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:53 PM   #11
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Looks like Virginia Governor Northam's yearbook has a picture of him in either a KKK outfit or in blackface.

Wonder how this escaped notice through all these elections?

https://twitter.com/virginianpilot/s...44446183477248
Given this is the VA GOP, they were probably afraid that it would result in Northam syphoning away votes from Gillespie's the South will rise again campaign.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:53 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The best thing he could do is just come clean and say "Hey I was Young, I was Stupid, it was an attempt at humor that was really badly thought out".
Which I think is what probably happened.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:55 PM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Given this is the VA GOP, they were probably afraid that it would result in Northam syphoning away votes from Gillespie's the South will rise again campaign.
Nice attempt to turn a thread about a Democratic Governor having made a fool of himself when young into one bashing the GOP.
"Whattaboutism" sounds no better coming from a Dem then from a Repub.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st February 2019, 03:56 PM   #14
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The best thing he could do is just come clean and say "Hey I was Young, I was Stupid, it was an attempt at humor that was really badly thought out".
It was 1984; he was in med school. That doesn't wash.
Old 1st February 2019, 03:58 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He's got to go.
That is a little strong. I don't think making a fool of yourself in a failed attempt on humor..which is what this almost certainly was..should wreck a man's career.
Of course he needs to apologize and explain,but if we kicked everybody who did something really stupid when in college out we would have no one left to hold office.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st February 2019, 03:59 PM   #16
Checkmite

What gets to me in that in 1984 anybody though this was somehow funny and amusing.
There's people who think it's amusing in 2019.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 04:01 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It was 1984; he was in med school. That doesn't wash.
He was still young;and med school students have a long history of doing stupid stunts and pranks. The old swipe a arm from a dissection clase, put a dollar bill in the fist, and then use it to pay a toll at a bridge or highway, and drive away quickly leaving the arm with the toll booth person is a classic.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st February 2019, 04:08 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Thread about this in the social issues thread, suggest merger..

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st February 2019, 04:11 PM   #19
Checkmite

I don't think making a fool of yourself in a failed attempt on humor..which is what this almost certainly was..should wreck a man's career.
I think it can, depending on the circumstances. And I think this is one of those circumstances. Northam doesn't have just any job, he's the executive leader of his state, and I don't see how he can continue to hold the confidence of his constituency when it has been revealed that he feels 20% of them are acceptable targets for racial mockery.

Because that's the thing about blackface - it isn't intended to make a fool of the person wearing it.
Old 1st February 2019, 04:30 PM   #20
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If this was just a couple of years ago I would agree with you, but this happened over 30 years ago.
And,yes, that makes a big difference in my book.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st February 2019, 04:38 PM   #21
Checkmite

It doesn't to me; blackface was already considered racist in 1984. And the fact that one of the persons is dressed in a Klan outfit hammers home that the racism aspect of the blackface costume is a conscious and deliberate one.
Old 1st February 2019, 04:40 PM   #22
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

https://www.mediaite.com/online/brea...to-apologizes/
Old 1st February 2019, 04:47 PM   #23
Mumbles
Philosopher

Virginia republicans are asking him to step down. They can rent out a convention center and have all the seats, because by that standard they all have to go. And any Dolt 45 supporter can go and join them - you don't get to denounce racist costumes now after years of supporting white supremacist policies, the latter is still much worse than the former.

Now, whether he's in the Klan robes or the Step N Fetchit gear, neither was good even back then. I'll wait to see what the Virginia governor has to say about this, but it doesn't look good.

ETA: Oh, he went at Kavanaugh and the Covington kids. Of course, only TBD would take an easy one and completely lose. Kavanaugh is still a creep, the covingtin boys were still wearing the equivalent of the Klan robes last week. Have a seat, TBD, you just disqualified yourself.

Last edited by Mumbles; 1st February 2019 at 04:50 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 05:03 PM   #24
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I don't care if he admits it is him I will never admit to believing it and will fight whoever wants to come at me until we both die on this hill.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 05:05 PM   #25
Mumbles
Philosopher

The best he could do is to have had this come out a decade or more ago, and him being able to say "I apologized then, and I will never stop apologizing both through my words and my record since then", actually.

I'm, thinking, of course, of Robert Byrd's one-time Klan membership, compared to his late-life record.

But if he resigns, I'm okay with that, too.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 05:17 PM   #26
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

He confirms it is him.

Not that I care.

#NorthamWasFramed

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 05:22 PM   #27
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I think he should offer to resign if Kavanaugh will too.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 05:30 PM   #28
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Crapulent behavior, that reveals a crapulent personality. Of course he should resign. And no, it shouldn't be conditional on the actions of other people, whether they were more or less crapulent than he. What kind of ethics do people have, that misdeeds are considered on a sliding scale relative to the misdeeds of others? Democrat, Republican, or Standing In The Back Dressed Stupidly And Looking Stupid Party, he should resign. You don't excuse the cat turd in your punchbowl on the grounds that there are dog turds in there also!
Old 1st February 2019, 05:45 PM   #29
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think there is a difference between a stupid attempt at outrageous humor and joining an organization with a long history of violence.
I think this is going to turn out to be like when Princy went to a masquerade party as a Nazi....the kind of stupid attempt to be funny and outrageous that a lot of people do when young.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st February 2019, 05:45 PM   #30
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/...i-was-coonman/

Nickname apparently "Coonman"...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 05:47 PM   #31
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It doesn't to me; blackface was already considered racist in 1984. And the fact that one of the persons is dressed in a Klan outfit hammers home that the racism aspect of the blackface costume is a conscious and deliberate one.
And you don't think people can change over 30 years? His record on race since does not matter?
excuse me but that seems to me pretty damned close minded and arbritary.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st February 2019, 05:51 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Ouch. Strike 2. This does change things. We are now seeing a pattern, rather then just a stupid prank.
And VMI's history just makes it's worse. Stonewall Jackson is buried there.....
The GOPers are enjoying this,of course. But with the Dems this is a rarity, with the GOP discovering bigotry in it's members is a daily occurance.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 1st February 2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 1st February 2019, 06:00 PM   #33
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Crapulent behavior, that reveals a crapulent personality. Of course he should resign. And no, it shouldn't be conditional on the actions of other people, whether they were more or less crapulent than he. What kind of ethics do people have, that misdeeds are considered on a sliding scale relative to the misdeeds of others? Democrat, Republican, or Standing In The Back Dressed Stupidly And Looking Stupid Party, he should resign. You don't excuse the cat turd in your punchbowl on the grounds that there are dog turds in there also!
Nope. I like Bezelbuddy's suggestion. Did Roy Moore step out of the race? Nope. I don't see Donald Trump, the biggest racist, sexist, corrupt POS stepping down.

So forget about it.
Old 1st February 2019, 06:05 PM   #34
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Nope. I like Bezelbuddy's suggestion. Did Roy Moore step out of the race? Nope. I don't see Donald Trump, the biggest racist, sexist, corrupt POS stepping down.

So forget about it.
If you want to convince people that your tribe is better than the other tribe because the other tribe is full of jerks you have to get rid of the jerks in your own tribe. Nobody's delighted with the rapist just because he's an enemy of the murderer.
Old 1st February 2019, 06:06 PM   #35
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Crapulent behavior, that reveals a crapulent personality.
Thirty five years ago, sure. Who wasn't a bit of an ******* in their twenties? The difference is whether you mature out of it and look back on those days with a cringing regret, or double down and end up sobbing about how much you like beer.

If you want to convince people that your tribe is better than the other tribe because the other tribe is full of jerks you have to get rid of the jerks in your own tribe. Nobody's delighted with the rapist just because he's an enemy of the murderer.
The point of the tribalism argument is that it's useless trying to convince the other side of anything. And, in fact, people were quite delighted with the rapist because he was the enemy of the other tribe.

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 1st February 2019 at 06:09 PM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:13 PM   #36
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Thirty five years ago, sure. Who wasn't a bit of an ******* in their twenties?
"Bit of an *******" = frickin blackface?!
Old 1st February 2019, 06:14 PM   #37
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

So forget about it.
Heh.

Remember when the Dems railroaded Franken, in some devil's bargain to convince Moore to withdraw? Only, nobody besides the Dems actually signed onto the bargain?

So now you've got a guy who actually should step down, but he won't because the GOP "reneged" on the Franken "bargain", so why bother, right?
Old 1st February 2019, 06:14 PM   #38
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The point of the tribalism argument is that it's useless trying to convince the other side of anything. And, in fact, people were quite delighted with the rapist because he was the enemy of the other tribe.
Then both tribes deserve extinction, that better tribes can take their place.
Old 1st February 2019, 06:15 PM   #39
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Let's get serious. The Governor didn't rape anyone. He didnt commit a crime. He did something very distasteful not last year. Not 5 years ago. Not 10 years ago. Not even 20 years ago. But more than 30 years ago.

He apologized. That's good for me. But if you want to vote against him for that, be my guest.
Old 1st February 2019, 06:16 PM   #40
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Heh.

Remember when the Dems railroaded Franken, in some devil's bargain to convince Moore to withdraw? Only, nobody besides the Dems actually signed onto the bargain?

So now you've got a guy who actually should step down, but he won't because the GOP "reneged" on the Franken "bargain", so why bother, right?
Who are you talking about?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics