IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , racism incidents , Ralph Northam , Virginia politics

Old 1st February 2019, 06:18 PM   #41
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Then both tribes deserve extinction, that better tribes can take their place.
I'll drink to that.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:19 PM   #42
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Let's get serious. The Governor didn't rape anyone. He didnt commit a crime. He did something very distasteful not last year. Not 5 years ago. Not 10 years ago. Not even 20 years ago. But more than 30 years ago.

He apologized. That's good for me. But if you want to vote against him for that, be my guest.
And then has to interact with constituents and party members with family members, some they remember, were actually lynched but the very group he finds funny in that photo. If your interaction with the party needs a trigger warning, that is a problem.

ETA: heck, he has to lead a government, stand in front of groups of democrat employees and governor staff, and be accepted.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 1st February 2019 at 06:24 PM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:20 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Whether or not he should resign, the Republicans calling for him to resign is hypocritical beyond belief. If they want me to take them seriously, they shold also call for Stephan King to resign.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:22 PM   #44
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I think he should offer to resign if Kavanaugh will too.
Steven King would be a better parallel.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:24 PM   #45
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Let's get serious. The Governor didn't rape anyone. He didnt commit a crime. He did something very distasteful not last year. Not 5 years ago. Not 10 years ago. Not even 20 years ago. But more than 30 years ago.

He apologized. That's good for me. But if you want to vote against him for that, be my guest.
Would you feel the same way if it was Republican we are talking about?

I have not made up my mind about whether or not he should resign..that it happened 35 years ago is a big factor....but if it was a Republican I would fell the same way. Not so sure that is true of some people here.
After all, everybody in my tribe is good and noble...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st February 2019, 06:25 PM   #46
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Will people yell out his nickname at events now?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:27 PM   #47
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I admit, the news of a second incident in his VMI yearbook might have thrown me into the should resign camp.
The Institute was heard from this day, indeed.
(At least the Civil War Buffs will get that joke).

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st February 2019, 06:28 PM   #48
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Ouch. Strike 2. This does change things. We are now seeing a pattern, rather then just a stupid prank.
And VMI's history just makes it's worse. Stonewall Jackson is buried there.....
The GOPers are enjoying this,of course. But with the Dems this is a rarity, with the GOP discovering bigotry in it's members is a daily occurance.
Forgetting Mel "Blackface" Carnahan? That's at least two Democratic governors in the last 20 years who did the minstrel act in their past.

That said I am inclined to chalk it up to youthful indiscretion, and do not expect similar indiscretions by Republicans to be similarly treated.

How long do you think it will be before men dressing up as women becomes politically incorrect? Oh, wait.

Last edited by Brainster; 1st February 2019 at 06:29 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:30 PM   #49
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
shirley he's being doxxed and getting death threats. amirite?
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:30 PM   #50
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if the some of the GOPers demanding his resignation know if Northam resigns, Justin Fairfax will become governor..and Fairfax is black.
I almost hope it happens, just because a N-----r as Governor of the State that was the home of Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson, and contained the capitiol of the Confederacy, would make the Neo Confederates melt down bigtime.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st February 2019, 06:34 PM   #51
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if the some of the GOPers demanding his resignation know if Northam resigns, Justin Fairfax will become governor..and Fairfax is black.
I almost hope it happens, just because a N-----r as Governor of the State that was the home of Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson, and contained the capitiol of the Confederacy, would make the Neo Confederates melt down bigtime.
Virginia had a black governor not that long ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Wilder

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:36 PM   #52
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
shirley he's being doxxed and getting death threats. amirite?
Well, his past is certainly being combed through.

It seems unlikely that there isn't more in there.

Old 1st February 2019, 06:38 PM   #53
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Would you feel the same way if it was Republican we are talking about?

I have not made up my mind about whether or not he should resign..that it happened 35 years ago is a big factor....but if it was a Republican I would fell the same way. Not so sure that is true of some people here.
After all, everybody in my tribe is good and noble...
Yep. I wasn't against Kavanaugh because he may have raped a girl 30 years ago. Although if I knew he did that, it be another reason to oppose him.

But I wouldn't have voted for a Republican anyway. Members of the Republican party don't just make jokes about people of color, they make legislation against them. They certainly don't work on their behalf. I don't know much about this Governor. I'd measure this awful distasteful joke he committed as a College student against his actions since then. If he had been fighting against civil rights then we know the joke was representative of who he is. The simple fact that he's a Democrat as opposed to the party of the privileged says a lot in my book.
Old 1st February 2019, 06:42 PM   #54
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If you want to convince people that your tribe is better than the other tribe because the other tribe is full of jerks you have to get rid of the jerks in your own tribe. Nobody's delighted with the rapist just because he's an enemy of the murderer.

Personally I just want my side to WIN.

Northam? I've actually been reporting death threats against him for about 48 hours now on Twitter thanks to that abortion bill that has the conservative universe absolutely apoplectic.

Now, with this also in the fray? I might just abstain from Twitter for a day or so.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:46 PM   #55
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

None of the GOP'ers that are calling for him to resign give one rat's ass about black civil rights. They will use this a cudgel to get rid of a hated Democrat and go right back to being hugely racist. Maybe invite one of the MAGA kids over for tea & brats to converse on how awful the gutter races are and how awesome stopping abortion is.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:47 PM   #56
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know how he would ever put the VMI nickname "coonman" behind him though.

He's going to hear that everywhere he goes, now.

Old 1st February 2019, 06:48 PM   #57
Mumbles
Philosopher

Whether or not he should resign, the Republicans calling for him to resign is hypocritical beyond belief. If they want me to take them seriously, they shold also call for Stephan King to resign.
Meh, given that they rallied behind Corey Stewart for US senate, they'd basically all have to resign.

I'd be fine with that, as well.

At the national level, they can start by calling for Dolt 45 to resign, given that he *began* his political career with birtherism, and then went right to insisting that Obama couldn't possibly have received good grades and he must have had a white person write his memoir. That's some 1860s-style anti black racism right there.

Steve King will be after that, and we can proceed from there. I get the feeling the entire GOP congressional delegation will be Tim Scott when we're done.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:06 PM   #58
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post

ETA: Oh, he went at Kavanaugh and the Covington kids. Of course, only TBD would take an easy one and completely lose. Kavanaugh is still a creep, the covingtin boys were still wearing the equivalent of the Klan robes last week. Have a seat, TBD, you just disqualified yourself.
Folks! Hi, I just got disqualified.

Because our intrepid correspondent has declared that the actual racist democrat wearing a KKK hood or blackface was wearing a MAGA hat, which is worse or something.

Sorry, not all the way up with the latest race grifter lingo.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:08 PM   #59
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
None of the GOP'ers that are calling for him to resign give one rat's ass about black civil rights. They will use this a cudgel to get rid of a hated Democrat and go right back to being hugely racist. Maybe invite one of the MAGA kids over for tea & brats to converse on how awful the gutter races are and how awesome stopping abortion is.
Yeah, it looks like this Democrat didn't really care about it either, just happy for their votes.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 1st February 2019 at 07:12 PM. Reason: terrible headline made TBD laugh
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:26 PM   #60
Mumbles
Philosopher

Ah, you noticed that as well.

I'm grimly amused to hear people describe this as "shocking" because in truth, it's really not. I spent enough time around "progressives" as a kid in the 80s and 902 to know that they can have their own overt racism - even today, plenty of the college kids in blackface, plenty of the people calling police on black people going about their business, and so forth.

I'm tempted to keep my nose out of this, since I don't live in Virginia, but again...I wouldn't be upset if he resigned.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:36 PM   #61
BobTheCoward
Banned

I don't know how he would ever put the VMI nickname "coonman" behind him though.

He's going to hear that everywhere he goes, now.
All I can think is come together with your hands
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:37 PM   #62
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

He needs to resign. He's not a "player" other than in Virginia and the Democratic Party resurgence there is sufficient to get over a quick negative drop because of this. They aren't going to be able to claim his replacement is an enabler or accomplice so the buck stops at his resignation.

Don't care about tit-for-tat tribal politics. This is incontrovertible evidence of bias. If he had any gumption he would've brought this out himself when he was first getting involved in politics. It would've been a great narrative coming from the person who done the deed. Now? It just sounds like weepy televangelists asking for forgiveness.... uh, now that I've been caught.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:54 PM   #63
BobTheCoward
Banned

Another thought. This isn't simply two parties engaged in realpolitik. One side thinks government service is fundamentally bad. One good heuristic for the side that thinks government is good is to see if the side that thinks government is bad does it, and then don't do that.
Old 1st February 2019, 08:13 PM   #64
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
He needs to resign. He's not a "player" other than in Virginia and the Democratic Party resurgence there is sufficient to get over a quick negative drop because of this. They aren't going to be able to claim his replacement is an enabler or accomplice so the buck stops at his resignation.

Don't care about tit-for-tat tribal politics. This is incontrovertible evidence of bias. If he had any gumption he would've brought this out himself when he was first getting involved in politics. It would've been a great narrative coming from the person who done the deed. Now? It just sounds like weepy televangelists asking for forgiveness.... uh, now that I've been caught.
Concur.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:13 PM   #65
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know if he needs to resign. But his brand has certainly been damaged. Perhaps irreparably. I have mixed feelings about it either way. If he's a racist, I want him gone. If he just did something stupid and insensitive 35 years then I have a problem making him accountable for it today.

Is there a pattern of racial insensitivity or is this a one off? Has he ever been a member of the KKK or perhaps the Republican party?
Old 1st February 2019, 08:35 PM   #66
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I don't know if he needs to resign. But his brand has certainly been damaged. Perhaps irreparably. I have mixed feelings about it either way. If he's a racist, I want him gone. If he just did something stupid and insensitive 35 years then I have a problem making him accountable for it today.

Is there a pattern of racial insensitivity or is this a one off? Has he ever been a member of the KKK or perhaps the Republican party?
This is not mere "racial insensitivity". That's when you inadvertently say something like "you people" to address a minority as the voice of their whole demographic, or an old school southern gentleman slipping up and referring to an adult black as "boy". This is two, not one, blatant markers of bigotry in the USA. It would be bad enough had the headline read "Governor Photographed During Teen Years Standing Next to a Bigot". This one is him dressed as one or the other bigoted image and ALSO standing next to a bigot.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:46 PM   #67
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Left's whipping boys Justice Kavanaugh and Covington catholic didn't get that benefit of the doubt.
Well, yes, they did. Kavanaugh's on the Supreme Court, and most people acknowledged that the initial reports of the kids were just lies. And they should have got the benefit of the doubt, because there is a reason that the words "young" and "stupid" are often used in the same sentence.

Of course, there will be howling from the tribes about how this is somehow significant, but, really, it isn't.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 09:00 PM   #68
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This is not mere "racial insensitivity". That's when you inadvertently say something like "you people" to address a minority as the voice of their whole demographic, or an old school southern gentleman slipping up and referring to an adult black as "boy". This is two, not one, blatant markers of bigotry in the USA. It would be bad enough had the headline read "Governor Photographed During Teen Years Standing Next to a Bigot". This one is him dressed as one or the other bigoted image and ALSO standing next to a bigot.
I'm not saying it doesn't look awful. It DEFINITELY DOES. But when I was at the age this picture was take. Pretty damn close to the same year. I did some pretty ugly things. I made bigoted and homophobic remarks. Me and a classmate threw a Jim Jones party. There just was very little "art".

Am I the same person? I don't think so. I grew up. Is there no moving past something we did in our late teens early twenties?
Old 1st February 2019, 09:18 PM   #69
portlandatheist
Illuminator

I don't think he should resign. I do wish that more normal, good people were involved in politics. Politicians that I would enjoy sitting down and having a meal with and a drink, are few and far between. It shouldn't be that difficult to have a representative that wasn't wearing a KKK outfit in their misguided youth and yes, any Republican that complains....Roy Moore? and son on
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 09:20 PM   #70
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
I don't think he should resign. I do wish that more normal, good people were involved in politics. Politicians that I would enjoy sitting down and having a meal with and a drink, are few and far between. It shouldn't be that difficult to have a representative that wasn't wearing a KKK outfit in their misguided youth and yes, any Republican that complains....Roy Moore? and son on
Does this logic work in the other direction, too? Any Democrat that complains about Moore... Northam? Is that the deal?
Old 1st February 2019, 09:22 PM   #71
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Governor Northeim has some 'splanin to do.....
What gets to me in that in 1984 anybody though this was somehow funny and amusing.
1984 wasn’t as politically correct I guess. But I am amazed/disappointed it was in a yearbook.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 09:26 PM   #72
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Do you hold him accountable for hiding it? How could he not have known at some point it would surface?
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 09:27 PM   #73
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Does this logic work in the other direction, too? Any Democrat that complains about Moore... Northam? Is that the deal?
Degrees of magnitude. What Northam did should be condemned. It should not be denied nor should I or anybody else be an apologist for it. Contrast with Moore and don't you think what Moore did was much worse?
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 09:30 PM   #74
crescent
Philosopher

Northam needs to resign, the party needs him to resign. It's another Al Franken - He's not a bad guy, even a pretty good one, but if the Dems want to maintain the high ground on this (racial issues), he's got to go.

That said, he's not all that old. Plenty of time to run for some other office (House, Senate, Mayor...) in a few years. Resign from Governor, show some penance, beg forgiveness, build bridges with the right people and give it a bit of time - then start campaigning for the next office to hold.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 09:32 PM   #75
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Do you hold him accountable for hiding it? How could he not have known at some point it would surface?
To me, thats a silly question. Should we all tell everyone every stupid thing we did when we were young? I don't think so.
Old 1st February 2019, 09:35 PM   #76
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Northam needs to resign, the party needs him to resign. It's another Al Franken - He's not a bad guy, even a pretty good one, but if the Dems want to maintain the high ground on this (racial issues), he's got to go.

That said, he's not all that old. Plenty of time to run for some other office (House, Senate, Mayor...) in a few years. Resign from Governor, show some penance, beg forgiveness, build bridges with the right people and give it a bit of time - then start campaigning for the next office to hold.
I never thought Franken should have resigned. In fact, I still don't. He was a damn fine Senator. I don't think there are PERFECT people. Every one makes mistakes. This purity that people are seeking is an illusion.
Old 1st February 2019, 09:49 PM   #77
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

To me, thats a silly question. Should we all tell everyone every stupid thing we did when we were young? I don't think so.
In this particular case he put on a costume, posed for pictures and allowed them to be published in his med school (not college) yearbook. That's multiple bad decisions, not just a stupid bar bet. By all accounts he's been a progressive voice for equality throughout his career. But this picture will hang over his head forever. Still, I'd like to ask him "What were you thinking?"

Last edited by Bob001; 1st February 2019 at 09:52 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 09:55 PM   #78
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Degrees of magnitude. What Northam did should be condemned. It should not be denied nor should I or anybody else be an apologist for it. Contrast with Moore and don't you think what Moore did was much worse?
Never mind political office, they should have put Moore under the jail if he did what many women, a mall, and a high school thought he did. I don't see anyone demanding Northrom be put on trial or anything.
Old 1st February 2019, 10:05 PM   #79
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting fact: If Northam resigns, his successor will be the Lt. Gov., who is black. I'll bet the Repubs are feeling conflicted about demanding that he quit.
https://www.ltgov.virginia.gov/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 10:06 PM   #80
mgidm86
Philosopher

I don't think he should resign, although this is the only thing I know about this guy. I just learned he was a Democrat one minute ago in this thread. Doesn't change my opinion. Was this a Halloween costume?

This type of stuff needs to stop - the "OMG look what X did 35 years ago!" I did a few things when I was 20 that would be very offensive today, and I still have the evidence for one somewhere (a song).

And yes it was less shocking (but still pretty shocking I'd say) back in the 80's and was considered very funny. It still is funny, though very offensive. It's racial humor.

What, you never laughed at a joke about white people or any other race? You did? Then shut up.

When I was a kid my Mom bought me a book of Italian jokes, and I'm Italian. Italian jokes were huge then, as were Polish jokes. I never cared, obviously. I had one book of Italian and Polish jokes. You'd flip it around the other way depending on which race you wanted to laugh about. I was in fourth grade.

Things weren't perfect, but black people saw Carlin, white people loved Pryor. It's good that we are more sensitive these days, to a degree. People are f'd up now though.

This trend of outing people's ancient social history and using it against them is not good. You point at me, 4 fingers are pointing back at you

I thought about having a politically incorrect costume party once. Ya, there used to be this thing called humor. Not all of it was okay, but damn we have flipped out. Or you all have anyways

ETA
Example Italian joke, not offensive though:

Customer: "Why is your pizza chef flattening the pizza dough against his bare chest to flatten it?"

"You think that's weird, wait 'til you see him make the donuts!"

There were some very offensive jokes in the books though.

Okay carry on with the crying and stuff.

Last edited by mgidm86; 1st February 2019 at 10:09 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics