IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , racism incidents , Ralph Northam , Virginia politics

Old 2nd February 2019, 06:06 PM   #201
applecorped
Banned

Well he's no Bill Maher that's for sure
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:06 PM   #202
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
That's what most of my local (white) friends would say:

reporter: "We have a picture of you in blackface."

them: "Huh? Blackfa - I've never done that!"

reporter "Well, then you're the one in the klan outfit?"

them "Klan...what are you even talking about right now, I've never done that, show me this photo."

But he's already said that he was in the photo, on video and in writing. The above is out. The other problem is that he was also Lt. Governor beginning in 2014, so he had plenty of time to get out in front of this, bring it up himself before an opponent tossed it out (seriously, did his opponent just not find this...or did he think that the photo would dilute the racist vote?), and say that he hoped to prove that the photo didn't represent who he was.

But he did neither. That's the problem.

The thing about Michael Jackson is that he's distinct in terms of music, dance, and dress. There's no need to put on blackface to portray him at any age, just dress like him and you're good. Just like a black person that wants to dress as Superman, or Goku, or whoever has no need to cover their face in some white substance. Just dress like the character (and style your hair for Goku, of course), and you're good.
I like playing "what if"

What if these two are going to a fancy dress party. Northam is the guy in blackface, and the guy in the KKK robes is his friend, an African American wearing whiteface under the hood.

Racist?

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:07 PM   #203
applecorped
Banned

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I like playing "what if"

What if these two are going to a fancy dress party. Northam is the guy in blackface, and the guy in the KKK robes is his friend, an African American wearing whiteface under the hood.

Racist?

No, desperate.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:09 PM   #204
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yes there is. But is that the sum of an individual? That they didn't do something stupid when they were 20?
Depends on what the "something stupid" actually was. Graffiti? Vandalizing a cemetery? Underage drinking? Rape? Torturing a small animal to death? Buying an American car?

I'm not going to excuse any and every misdeed on the basis of youth. A medical student, even in 1984, should have known better.
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:12 PM   #205
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I just look around and see all the people who didn't do blackface in their twenties, on more than one occasion. There are a lot of such. Is the Virginia Democratic Party so hard up for candidates who haven't done stuff like that?
Remember, the republican criticisms of him are that he is racist and that he does not adequately support the heritage of the confederacy, and that he is too sympathetic to hispanic immigrants by supporting sanctuary cities.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:18 PM   #206
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Remember, the republican criticisms of him are that he is racist and that he does not adequately support the heritage of the confederacy, and that he is too sympathetic to hispanic immigrants by supporting sanctuary cities.
I don't recognize that the criticisms of one's political opponents, valid or otherwise, can somehow negate one's misdeeds.
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:21 PM   #207
The Big Dog

Blackfacde
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:33 PM   #208
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Depends on what the "something stupid" actually was. Graffiti? Vandalizing a cemetery? Underage drinking? Rape? Torturing a small animal to death? Buying an American car?

I'm not going to excuse any and every misdeed on the basis of youth. A medical student, even in 1984, should have known better.
Yes It does. And you have every right not to vote for him because of those reasons.
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:47 PM   #209
Mumbles
Philosopher

I like playing "what if"

Racist?
Yep.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:06 PM   #210
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Blackfacde
Covfefe.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:21 PM   #211
Zambo
Critical Thinker

Trump tweets:

"Ed Gillespie, who ran for Governor of the Great State of Virginia against Ralph Northam, must now be thinking Malpractice and Dereliction of Duty with regard to his Opposition Research Staff. If they find that terrible picture before the election, he wins by 20 points!"

But of course Trump is forgetting the Republican votes Northam would have gained if he had put out the photo as a campaign strategy.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:24 PM   #212
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Covfefe.
Covfedfe?

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 09:34 PM   #213
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Covfedfe?
He incompeted it.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 09:47 PM   #214
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
Trump tweets:

"Ed Gillespie, who ran for Governor of the Great State of Virginia against Ralph Northam, must now be thinking Malpractice and Dereliction of Duty with regard to his Opposition Research Staff. If they find that terrible picture before the election, he wins by 20 points!"

But of course Trump is forgetting the Republican votes Northam would have gained if he had put out the photo as a campaign strategy.
Poor Donnie. He's still trying to win the races of those who he most avidly supported, but lost. I don't suppose he realizes that with the kind of people Gillespie surrounded himself with they actually did find it. They just didn't see anything wrong with it.

> Ed: Did you find anything in those yearbooks.
> Buford: Naaah, just regular guys having fun making fun of minorities.
> Ed: Nothing we can nail him with, then. No pictures of him at a Ban The Bomb rally?
> Buford. No, sorry. The well's dry on this one.
> Ed: I guess I'll have to just go kiss Donnie's ass and get him to tweet me some more support.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 2nd February 2019 at 09:49 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 10:32 PM   #215
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
Trump tweets:

I can't see why anyone would work for Trump, seeing how his instinctive response to failure is the idea to sue his underlings.
Old 3rd February 2019, 02:47 AM   #216
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Quote where they talk about healthy babies please 'cause all I can see is a baby that is "otherwise certified." Certified as in certified non-viable or one of the other legitimate reasons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0kC1B__CJ4
It's only 1:05 long. This is what the Republican side are reacting to, and what Northam was being asked about.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 02:56 AM   #217
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The governor is holding a press conference now claiming that he never bought the yearbook, never saw the page until it was shown to him this week, that he never submitted that picture, that he doesn't appear in it, and that others have reported pictures had been placed on their pages erroneously in the same yearbook. I'd like to hear from the people who actually edited and produced the yearbook.
...after already having apologised for appearing in the photo...
Old 3rd February 2019, 03:59 AM   #218
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
So much this. If any of us had not been in a picture like this it would have been "Hell man, not me, I never did anything like this". Instead the man said sorry yes it was me and then tries to walk it back. It isn't that he is too bigoted for an important job he is just too dang stupid!

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 06:08 AM   #219
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

That answer, right there, is why you need to sit this one out. If you knew enough to participate in the discussion, you'ld know that these were put up either in the 1910s-20s, the nadir of race relations according to most historians, or during the 1960s as a protest against integration - in other words, they're white supremacy monuments, and nothing more.

Again, the GOP needs to clean up it's own act first, and until they do, it's a farce for them to say anything here.
I fully realize that Democrats feel the need to make up for their lead participation in acts of Racism but as long as they have Northam in office, they've lost the right to complain.

Glass houses and stones.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 06:27 AM   #220
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I fully realize that Democrats feel the need to make up for their lead participation in acts of Racism but as long as they have Northam in office, they've lost the right to complain.

Glass houses and stones.

Chris B.
Learn what the phrase "glass houses" means, stop making false equivalences, and if you're in the GOP, reform it.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 06:37 AM   #221
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I like playing "what if"

Racist?
I've been kind of wondering that myself. Was this some attempt to be satirical or ironic that didn't work. Maybe an attempt at something ala "Blazing Saddles"?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 06:39 AM   #222
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

(did not read thread up to here... no need)

I find it ridiculous that he admitted to putting on shoe polish in order to portray Michael Jackson, "but only a little bit, because everyone knows that shoe polish is really hard to get off." That makes it sound like he's done it more than once.

And this would obviously be for the pre-1990s Michael Jackson.
Old 3rd February 2019, 06:56 AM   #223
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Yeah, after that train wreck of a press conference (that fool was really going to moonwalk until his wife told him it was a bad idea), even the congresspeople from Virginia came out and said "Well, we were trying to be nice about this, but you need to get out of here now."

Even his excuses make no sense. If his Michael Jackson blackface stunt is "seared into" his memory, how did he still manage to get confused and apologize for a photo he wasn't in? Was he lying about how important it was to him, or were there other incidents that he only vaguely remembers? Either way, he's made a complete mess out of something that already looked bad, and now wishes to remain as governor when nobody in his own party will want to be seen with him.

THat's absurd. Again, he needs to go away.
Old 3rd February 2019, 07:14 AM   #224
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. But oh well. Maybe if we knew that Trump and his staff were conspiring to defraud the US Trumpturd wouldn't have been elected.
Learn what the phrase "glass houses" means, stop making false equivalences, and if you're in the GOP, reform it.
The GOP can't even get rid of a guy who is a raging white nationalist based on stuff he did last week. That they complain about what a guy did 30 years ago is a joke.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 07:40 AM   #225
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
The GOP can't even get rid of a guy who is a raging white nationalist based on stuff he did last week. That they complain about what a guy did 30 years ago is a joke.
It is a joke. That said, I'm questioning whether he should resign. I could give a damn about the Republican's boatload of hypocrisy and false equivalences. But I do care about the affect this guy's stumbling responses has on the party in Virginia.
Old 3rd February 2019, 09:42 AM   #226
Mumbles
Philosopher

It is a joke. That said, I'm questioning whether he should resign. I could give a damn about the Republican's boatload of hypocrisy and false equivalences. But I do care about the affect this guy's stumbling responses has on the party in Virginia.
At this point with his walk back and his "No, I was thinking of that other time I was in blackface, this isn't me." thing - the entire point of pushing this guy out is so that the dems (who have always had racial problems, that's just what comes with being American) do not become like the GOP. Recall that they are now cancelling primaries just to protect the most openly white supremacist, and overall incompetent and corrupt, president since at least WW2. They also just discovered, after over a decade, that Steve King is a white nationalist - and won't even censure him for it. As an analogy, we're getting the bug spray out while the GOP needs to have their house fumigated, yesterday.

Again, pretty much every democrat of importance, regardless of skin color, has called on him to step down. How does he continue to work as governor when nobody else wants to be seen with him?
Old 3rd February 2019, 09:54 AM   #227
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I've been kind of wondering that myself. Was this some attempt to be satirical or ironic that didn't work. Maybe an attempt at something ala "Blazing Saddles"?
I took that as a given. If he was so openly racist, surely there would be legions of people from his past howling from the rooftops?

And seriously, does 'coonman' have some kind of meaning in 1980's Virginia? I don't get what it is supposed to mean.
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:10 AM   #228
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

At this point with his walk back and his "No, I was thinking of that other time I was in blackface, this isn't me." thing - the entire point of pushing this guy out is so that the dems (who have always had racial problems, that's just what comes with being American) do not become like the GOP. Recall that they are now cancelling primaries just to protect the most openly white supremacist, and overall incompetent and corrupt, president since at least WW2. They also just discovered, after over a decade, that Steve King is a white nationalist - and won't even censure him for it. As an analogy, we're getting the bug spray out while the GOP needs to have their house fumigated, yesterday.

Again, pretty much every democrat of importance, regardless of skin color, has called on him to step down. How does he continue to work as governor when nobody else wants to be seen with him?
I've seen that. My issue isn't so much the picture taken 35 years ago. It's the moronically stupid way he has handled it. After all, Robert Byrd was a member of the Klan so people can change, apologize and make amends.

I thought he could survive this when I first read about it. But not anymore. He really has no choice but to resign.
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:14 AM   #229
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I took that as a given. If he was so openly racist, surely there would be legions of people from his past howling from the rooftops?

And seriously, does 'coonman' have some kind of meaning in 1980's Virginia? I don't get what it is supposed to mean.
The word 'coon' was a racial slur directed at people of African descent. I heard it a lot when I was young. Not sure what they meant by 'coonman'.
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:19 AM   #230
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The word 'coon' was a racial slur directed at people of African descent. I heard it a lot when I was young. Not sure what they meant by 'coonman'.
Yeah, I get what coon means, of course. But coupled with 'man' leaves me scratching my head. Usually it means something you really like, as in being a 'leg man' or whatever.

Eta: I keep thinking it is a play on 'Spoon man', but it is too early I think

Last edited by Thermal; 3rd February 2019 at 10:21 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:51 AM   #231
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Yeah, I get what coon means, of course. But coupled with 'man' leaves me scratching my head. Usually it means something you ready like, as in being a 'leg man' or whatever.
Could be. I was thinking something similar. We would have said he had jungle fever.

But it might have a specific meaning to just a small group of friends. I really have no idea. It could mean just about anything. But it could easily have resulted from wearing the blackface.

Given where he was from and the time, he could have been balancing his cultural upbringing which would have included vestiges of the racist past and a serious attempt to move past that. Bigotry and racism doesn't just end with a hard demarcation. There is an evolution of individuals and society.
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:58 AM   #232
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
If you were king, how many homes would you “allow” your subjects to own?
Own as many as you like or can afford, but over 2 you pay extra property tax on each extra property and that money goes to building social housing. If we have a world where the rich have that much disposable income and others have to live under tarpaulin or in cardboard boxes then the rich can start having some of their money taken from them to help those in real need. And yes I am a socialist.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.

Last edited by Parsman; 3rd February 2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Spelling
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:17 AM   #233
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
(did not read thread up to here... no need)

I find it ridiculous that he admitted to putting on shoe polish in order to portray Michael Jackson, "but only a little bit, because everyone knows that shoe polish is really hard to get off." That makes it sound like he's done it more than once.

And this would obviously be for the pre-1990s Michael Jackson.
Thriller was released in 82 and was huge. Note though, that he isn't sporting any iconic outfit Jackson would have worn at the time like the red jacket with gold trim at the American Music Awards in 1984

Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:32 AM   #234
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I've seen that. My issue isn't so much the picture taken 35 years ago. It's the moronically stupid way he has handled it. After all, Robert Byrd was a member of the Klan so people can change, apologize and make amends.
Byrd wasn't just a member of the Klan, he was the organizer of his chapter and the local leader.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:45 AM   #235
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Byrd wasn't just a member of the Klan, he was the organizer of his chapter and the local leader.
So you would think the Governor could move past this. But there seems no chance of that now.
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:06 PM   #236
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Disappointing, surely you can do better than this.
Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:35 PM   #237
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
Thriller was released in 82 and was huge. Note though, that he isn't sporting any iconic outfit Jackson would have worn at the time like the red jacket with gold trim at the American Music Awards in 1984
I don't believe he's portraying MJ in the related yearbook photo. He said that he did that at another time.
Old 3rd February 2019, 01:07 PM   #238
BobTheCoward
Banned

So you would think the Governor could move past this. But there seems no chance of that now.
The difference is voters got to weigh in on Byrd's behaviour.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 02:00 PM   #239
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

IMHO Northem is taking a page from Trump's book and living in his own reality,rhinking he can survive this.
Originally I though it was a sort of a kind of unbalanced puritanism to end a man's career because of something stupid he did 35 years ago but the second incident (Coonman) which showed a pattern begun to change my mind, and the totally inept and stupid way he has handled this, has convinced me he has to go,for no other reason then if I lived in Virginia, I would not want somebody that stupid as Governor.
That press conferecnce was a pathetic a spectacle in politics as I have seen. And in the age of Trump, that is saying something.
I note that Obama had not weighed in as of Sunday morning.. I think he is sort of holding himself in reserve if Northem continues his defiance;
And, yeah, the Republicans hypocrisy on the issue in incredible. And so painfully obvious.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 02:01 PM   #240
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I don't believe he's portraying MJ in the related yearbook photo. He said that he did that at another time.
ah. my mistake.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics