IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Atlanta incidents , Eric Sparkes , Erica Thomas , Georgia incidents , Georgia politics , racism charges , racism incidents

Old 23rd July 2019, 04:52 AM   #1
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Making Staff up While Black

Georgia state Rep. Erica Thomas was left in a right old state after she blatantly ignored the 10 items or less instruction in a local store and was called out on it.

She was called a "lazy bitch" by Eric Sparkes then went on to claim he told her to "go back to where you came from." She later appeared on video visually upset.

Except he didn't and strenuously denies it. In fact the only person that was told to "go back" was Sparkes..... by Thomas!

She was on camera when;

Quote:
The following day, as Thomas spoke to reporters about her claim, the accused man confronted her in front of the store while the cameras were rolling.

The man, Eric Sparkes, claimed that Thomas was using him to manipulate a political stunt and that he was in no way 'racist,' as Thomas had alleged. Sparkes, an outspoken Democrat of Cuban heritage, admitted that he did confront the pregnant lawmaker in anger after she violated the store policy of bringing too many items to the express checkout lane, but never told her to "go back" to where she came from.

Once she was outed as not only lazy but a liar she said;

Quote:
"I don't know if he said 'go back,' or those types of words ... I don't know if he said 'go back to your country' or 'go back to where you came from,' but he was making those types of references is what I remember."

"So you don't remember exactly what he said?" a reporter asked Thomas.

"No, no, definitely not. But I know it was 'go back' because I know I told him to 'go back,'" the lawmaker responded.
She adamantly refuses to backtrack.

This is a lawmaker?

Last edited by bluesjnr; 23rd July 2019 at 04:53 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:11 AM   #2
cullennz
Banned

Lol
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:25 AM   #3
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post

This is a lawmaker?
Lawmaker, not lawfollower.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:05 AM   #4
plague311
Great minds think...

What a *******.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:14 AM   #5
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Sounds like a Not Always Right entry.

Or a "public freakout" video on YouTube if they'd gotten footage. I love those. Every retail store and restaurant should record everything, with audio, we're missing entertainment gold!
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:37 AM   #6
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I'm puzzled. Is Eric Sparkes a figment of Georgia State Rep. Erica Thomas's imagination, or is there a typo in the thread title?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:43 AM   #7
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I'm puzzled. Is Eric Sparkes a figment of Georgia State Rep. Erica Thomas's imagination, or is there a typo in the thread title?

Dave
I believe the thread title is mocking the several "while black" thread titles because it shows that "black people lie so all of the 'while black' threads are just ********" type of attitude.

Usually those threads have to do with white people doing something towards black people, where in this case Sparkes is not white.

Quote:
Sparkes, an outspoken Democrat of Cuban heritage
I'm assuming this is like a double whammy for the OP. Because not ONLY is this black person making something up, but it's also a democrat!

Harumph! Harumph!
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:48 AM   #8
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm assuming this is like a double whammy for the OP. Because not ONLY is this black person making something up, but it's also a democrat!
Wrong dog whistle. Sparkes is the injured party here, so we're supposed to think that not only are these people lying scum, they'll also turn on their own at the least provocation.

Dave

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:54 AM   #9
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Lawmaker, not lawfollower.
Rogues, bureaucrats and politicians are pretty much the same thing.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 08:32 AM   #10
bluesjnr

Dave
Yes it's a typo - and I've just noticed it. I'm making a lot of errors in the last few days.

Wrong dog whistle. Sparkes is the injured party here, so we're supposed to think that not only are these people lying scum, they'll also turn on their own at the least provocation.

Dave
As far as I'm concerned you can think what you like, so don't make that accusation against me. I don't remotely suggest what you should make of the story. I've never used the phrase "their own".

You wanna know my opinion? Let me clarify it for you.

The ethnic background of the lazy, lying, entitled, racist bitch is of no consequence to me whatsoever other than to cock a snook at the many while black threads. The ethnic background of Sparkes is of absolutely no interest to me but well done for speaking up. She should be removed from her position without delay. She's a lazy, lying, entitled, racist bitch and has no place in an office of influence.

Last edited by bluesjnr; 23rd July 2019 at 08:39 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 08:37 AM   #11
bluesjnr

I believe the thread title is mocking the several "while black" thread titles because it shows that "black people lie so all of the 'while black' threads are just ********" type of attitude.
No.... just no.

Quote:
Usually those threads have to do with white people doing something towards black people, where in this case Sparkes is not white.
Yes, true.

Quote:

Harumph! Harumph!
A double whammy for me? How so? Where do I mention the persons political persuasion? Why would I, living in Scotland, give one flying **** what colour her politics are?

It's what it is on the face of it tagged on to the tiresome "while black" headline.
Old 23rd July 2019, 08:42 AM   #12
plague311
Great minds think...

No.... just no.

Yes, true.

A double whammy for me? How so? Where do I mention the persons political persuasion? Why would I, living in Scotland, give one flying **** what colour her politics are?

It's what it is on the face of it tagged on to the tiresome "while black" headline.
I'm not sure why you would, but your posting history definitely indicates you lean to the right. So I would say, out of political bias perhaps?
Old 23rd July 2019, 08:52 AM   #13
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Why would I, living in Scotland, give one flying **** what colour her politics are?
Why would you, living in Scotland, give one flying **** about this story at all?
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 08:55 AM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

People exceeding the numerical limit on express checkout lanes is exceedingly reprehensible. She should be drummed out of office for that alone.
Old 23rd July 2019, 08:57 AM   #15
bluesjnr

I'm not sure why you would, but your posting history definitely indicates you lean to the right. So I would say, out of political bias perhaps?
I have no interest in politics whatsoever and couldn't have told you whom she represented, as it never registered with me. It never does because it doesn't matter to me. It certainly doesn't change anything..... does it?

Bias isn't at play. She was definitely lying by her own admission, she was definitely acting entitled by her own admission and she definitely made a racist comment to Sparkes by her own admission. You think me pointing this out shows a political bias?

I am interested to note that I'm right leaning, it's not something I was particularly aware of. I assume that you think this because I think Antifa are a shower of ********* and haven't come down firmly on one side or the other about Tommy Robinson. It certainly cannot be as a result of my posting history in politics.
Old 23rd July 2019, 08:59 AM   #16
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Why would you, living in Scotland, give one flying **** about this story at all?
Why not, it's of interest. What should I be looking at?
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:00 AM   #17
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
People exceeding the numerical limit on express checkout lanes is exceedingly reprehensible. She should be drummed out of office for that alone.
Only if they are in front of me.
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:02 AM   #18
Arcade22
Philosopher

There are black people in Scotland (presumably).

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:02 AM   #19
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think we need more information on how many items she took through the checkout. Are we talking about one each of nine things and two of a tenth, for which the legally mandated punishment is a sideways glance and some passive-aggressive muttering, or eleven distinct and separate items, which is prima facie malfeasance in public office and warrants tarring, feathering and being run out of town on a rail?

Dave

Old 23rd July 2019, 09:04 AM   #20
plague311
Great minds think...

Bias isn't at play. She was definitely lying by her own admission, she was definitely acting entitled by her own admission and she definitely made a racist comment to Sparkes by her own admission. You think me pointing this out shows a political bias?
I don't think you pointing it out shows political bias. I think the "while black" shows bias and downplays some of the events that have happened.

I am interested to note that I'm right leaning, it's not something I was particularly aware of. I assume that you think this because I think Antifa are a shower of ********* and haven't come down firmly on one side or the other about Tommy Robinson. It certainly cannot be as a result of my posting history in politics.
I don't know who Tommy Robinson is and I don't particularly care about the antifa threads. It's just the impression I get from your posting style.
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:11 AM   #21
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Georgia state Rep. Erica Thomas

Mandatory reminder (especially for those outside the U.S.): state representatives are not elite politicians who represent their state in the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington DC; they are politicians who represent some district of their state in their state legislature. Thomas is one of 180 members of the Georgia House of Representatives. There are thousands of state representatives in the U.S. as a whole. Having a state representative do or say something stupid or outrageous is about as notable as having a podiatrist do or say something stupid or outrageous, because although there are about twice as many podiatrists, the podiatrists have to go through a lot more training and expense to learn their trade.

Last edited by Myriad; 23rd July 2019 at 09:13 AM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:14 AM   #22
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Mandatory reminder (especially for those outside the U.S.): state representatives are not elite politicians who represent their state in the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington DC; they are politicians who represent some district of their state in their state legislature.
Yeah, I think in UK terms it's somewhere in the vicinity of "County Councillor does [stupid thing]," which is barely enough of a news story to outrank "dog bites man".

Dave

Old 23rd July 2019, 09:34 AM   #23
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Why not, it's of interest. What should I be looking at?
It wouldn't be of interest to me if she was my state representative and that was my Piggly Wiggly.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:36 AM   #24
dann
Penultimate Amazing

She was called a "lazy bitch" by Eric Sparkes then went on to claim he told her to "go back to where you came from."

Did she also jump the queue?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:38 AM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Mandatory reminder (especially for those outside the U.S.): state representatives are not elite politicians who represent their state in the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington DC; they are politicians who represent some district of their state in their state legislature. Thomas is one of 180 members of the Georgia House of Representatives. There are thousands of state representatives in the U.S. as a whole. Having a state representative do or say something stupid or outrageous is about as notable as having a podiatrist do or say something stupid or outrageous, because although there are about twice as many podiatrists, the podiatrists have to go through a lot more training and expense to learn their trade.
I question the premise that members of Congress are somehow "elite".
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:54 AM   #26
applecorped
Banned

Jussie Smollett is proud of her
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:55 AM   #27
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Just critically examining the information we have here. While her walking back from certainty about the exact words used is not a great sign for her truthfulness here, it's hardly a death knell.

I don't know about you, but in my personal experience with verbal altercations, it's not rare to not perfectly remember the words used against you but to be angry about the general gist of those words.

So we've got a bunch of options.

1) The incident happened as she described and the checkout guy is either lying or misremembering that he said something along the lines of "Go back to your country".

2) Thomas was, out of malice or desire for attention decided to invent the taunt out of thin air.

3) Thomas, perhaps due to the present charged climate after the President's tweet and rally chants, misheard/misremembered and truly believes the checkout guy said "Go home" but is mistaken.

4) The checkout guy used words that he intended to mean "Go to your house, I don't want you in our store" and she mistakenly interpreted to mean "Leave the country".

The available evidence doesn't rule out any of these possibilities, although the fact that she seems to have revised her certainty takes a lot of weight away from option #1. I don't have any prior knowledge of either of these people, so while it's certainly possible she's lying, it doesn't seem yet to be established fact. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be any of the four options. And we will most likely never know.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:57 AM   #28
applecorped
Banned

Even white Democrat men are fearful now
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:19 AM   #29
bluesjnr

I think we need more information on how many items she took through the checkout. Are we talking about one each of nine things and two of a tenth, for which the legally mandated punishment is a sideways glance and some passive-aggressive muttering, or eleven distinct and separate items, which is prima facie malfeasance in public office and warrants tarring, feathering and being run out of town on a rail?

Dave
I think she admitted to 15 which is a full bitch quotient.
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:21 AM   #30
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Did she also jump the queue?!
No, because he never said those words. She did.
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:24 AM   #31
bluesjnr

It wouldn't be of interest to me if she was my state representative and that was my Piggly Wiggly.
Cool. Thanks for your review.
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:27 AM   #32
bluesjnr

I don't know who Tommy Robinson is and I don't particularly care about the antifa threads. It's just the impression I get from your posting style.
Some examples being?
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:33 AM   #33
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Cool. Thanks for your review.
I don't think you know what "review" means.

I'm sure that this story (and a particular creative interpretation of it) is of interest to the kind of person who is on the fence about Tommy Robinson. It's just that I'm not that kind of person.
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:40 AM   #34
bluesjnr

I don't think you know what "review" means.

I'm sure that this story (and a particular creative interpretation of it) is of interest to the kind of person who is on the fence about Tommy Robinson. It's just that I'm not that kind of person.
For someone espousing a lack of interest you sure hang about and are creating a smell with that axe you’re grinding.

Take your ***** elsewhere it stinks.
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:41 AM   #35
applecorped
Banned

+1
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:43 AM   #36
mumblethrax
Species traitor

For someone espousing a lack of interest you sure hang about and are creating a smell with that axe you’re grinding.

Take your ***** elsewhere it stinks.
I have no interest in the story.

That doesn't mean I don't find your desire to paint it in a particular way to be unremarkable.

I think I'll stay and continue to point out that you are obviously motivated in your thinking about this story, and that it's the kind of motivation you'd expect from someone who just hasn't made up his mind about Tommy Robinson yet.
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:45 AM   #37
applecorped
Banned

lol, for someone with no interest in the story....
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:47 AM   #38
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
lol, for someone with no interest in the story....
...I do have an interest in pointing out racist bias where I see it.

Which is not actually the contradiction the kind of person who says "lol" thinks it is.
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:48 AM   #39
bluesjnr

I have no interest in the story.

That doesn't mean I don't find your desire to paint it in a particular way to be unremarkable.

I think I'll stay and continue to point out that you are obviously motivated in your thinking about this story, and that it's the kind of motivation you'd expect from someone who just hasn't made up his mind about Tommy Robinson yet.
Fill yer boots. You couldn’t be of less consequence to me.

Enjoy.
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:54 AM   #40
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Just critically examining the information we have here. While her walking back from certainty about the exact words used is not a great sign for her truthfulness here, it's hardly a death knell.

I don't know about you, but in my personal experience with verbal altercations, it's not rare to not perfectly remember the words used against you but to be angry about the general gist of those words.

So we've got a bunch of options.

1) The incident happened as she described and the checkout guy is either lying or misremembering that he said something along the lines of "Go back to your country".

2) Thomas was, out of malice or desire for attention decided to invent the taunt out of thin air.

3) Thomas, perhaps due to the present charged climate after the President's tweet and rally chants, misheard/misremembered and truly believes the checkout guy said "Go home" but is mistaken.

4) The checkout guy used words that he intended to mean "Go to your house, I don't want you in our store" and she mistakenly interpreted to mean "Leave the country".

The available evidence doesn't rule out any of these possibilities, although the fact that she seems to have revised her certainty takes a lot of weight away from option #1. I don't have any prior knowledge of either of these people, so while it's certainly possible she's lying, it doesn't seem yet to be established fact. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be any of the four options. And we will most likely never know.
It would be extremely strange for a Cuban to tell someone to go back to their country. I don't really know where I stand on this, but that would be a bit ironic. He also seems pretty adamant about not saying that even going so far as to say he's exploring a defamation suit. Thomas and her lawyer have also implied that they are asking witnesses (of which there appear to be 4, though 1 doesn't remember hearing those words) to get ready to testify.

Both seem confident, but I would almost bet that after a week or so this will fade into the background and no one will hear about it again.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events