IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Atlanta incidents , Eric Sparkes , Erica Thomas , Georgia incidents , Georgia politics , racism charges , racism incidents

Old 23rd July 2019, 10:56 AM   #41
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Fill yer boots. You couldn’t be of less consequence to me.
I think I probably could. I could be a Georgia state legislator.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 11:08 AM   #42
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
It would be extremely strange for a Cuban to tell someone to go back to their country.
Given that he apparently identifies as a democrat it would be strange.

In general though, Cuban Americans are a majority republican, and like the rest of republicans tend to support core GOP positions and rhetoric.

I actually heard an NPR story on just that subject the other day. There are plenty of Cuban Americans who are very pro Trump, including embracing his anti-immigrant rhetoric.

My money is actually on #3 or #4. I suppose if witnesses get involved, we may get some more information
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 11:27 AM   #43
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

I’m wondering what legal charge would apply to her demand for Sparkes to be arrested?

Here is a more detailed article about who Eric Sparkes is:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.c...c-sparkes/amp/
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 11:54 AM   #44
dann
Penultimate Amazing

No, because he never said those words. She did.

It was a joke, but never mind.
He seems to be a bit more level-headed than she does, but the whole thing appears to have been a very trivial argument that ended up in the news because she's a politician and not because she's black:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:03 PM   #45
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by dann View Post
He seems to be a bit more level-headed than she does, but the whole thing appears to have been a very trivial argument that ended up in the news because she's a politician and not because she's black:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
She played the race card right off the bat. She made her colour the central issue.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:05 PM   #46
Carlotta
Graduate Poster

She was nine months pregnant! You don't suppose she was used to being given a pass in lines?
No, I'm not saying it excuses mouthing off, just the original offense of too many items in the express line.

Last edited by Carlotta; 23rd July 2019 at 12:07 PM.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:08 PM   #47
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
She was nine months pregnant! You don't suppose she was used to being given a pass in lines?
She was capable of standing and holding forth for many minutes during her TV interview. I can’t see why she ignored other, empty aisles.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:11 PM   #48
Cavemonster
Philosopher

I AGREE
He seems a little more level headed in that on-camera moment, but remember, he went out of his way to call a 9-month pregnant woman a bitch for having a few items over the limit in a 10 items or less lane.

That might be sorta-kinda reasonable if he was stuck behind her, or if he was sticking up for other people behind her, but by his account, there were multiple open lanes, so she wouldn't have been actually inconveniencing anyone. He apparently had finished his shopping, tried to get the supermarket to take some action against her, then decided he needed to confront her himself.

Over a technical supermarket rule violation by a very pregnant woman that it seems had no effect on anyone.

I don't see that as terribly level headed.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:11 PM   #49
plague311
Great minds think...

Does anyone know how many items she actually had? I'm trying to determine my level of poutrage for this and I can't solidify a number if I don't know how badly she was breaking the rule.

Between 12-15 items instead of 10: Minimum butthurt, salve recommended but not required.
Between 16-20 items: Moderate butthurt, salve required, but no rehab time.
Between 21-25 items: Maximum butthurt, beyond any form of salve, may need to speak with my therapist.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:20 PM   #50
bluesjnr

Does anyone know how many items she actually had? I'm trying to determine my level of poutrage for this and I can't solidify a number if I don't know how badly she was breaking the rule.

Between 12-15 items instead of 10: Minimum butthurt, salve recommended but not required.
Between 21-25 items: Maximum butthurt, beyond any form of salve, may need to speak with my therapist.
I’ve already confirmed the amount over in an earlier post as did Thomas in the interview.

She’s at the upper end of your Min. Butthurt.
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:25 PM   #51
plague311
Great minds think...

I’ve already confirmed the amount over in an earlier post as did Thomas in the interview.

She’s at the upper end of your Min. Butthurt.
Ah, I thought that was just a guess, I didn't see it in the article I read.

Alright, well. At least I won't need salve, I'll just ride this one out.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:30 PM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You're focusing on the wrong thing. The outrage here is actually how she reacted to being called out, and how she lied about it
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:45 PM   #53
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You're focusing on the wrong thing. The outrage here is actually how she reacted to being called out, and how she lied about it
No, that's what YOU are focusing on. I'm focusing on how stupid the entire ******* event is from top to bottom.

As has been pointed out, who cares if she had more than 10 items? There were multiple lanes open. Go to a different one. Quit being a ******* baby.

On a different note, who cares if she got yelled at or called a name? Sticks and stones, move on and shrug it off.

Finally, why hold a press conference and why show up at someone else's press conference?

This whole thing is just stupid and I'm boggled it's even newsworthy. The headline should say, "Two morons waste each others time. Who cares?"
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:53 PM   #54
cullennz
Banned

No, that's what YOU are focusing on. I'm focusing on how stupid the entire ******* event is from top to bottom.

As has been pointed out, who cares if she had more than 10 items? There were multiple lanes open. Go to a different one. Quit being a ******* baby.

On a different note, who cares if she got yelled at or called a name? Sticks and stones, move on and shrug it off.

Finally, why hold a press conference and why show up at someone else's press conference?

This whole thing is just stupid and I'm boggled it's even newsworthy. The headline should say, "Two morons waste each others time. Who cares?"
Pretty much the highlighted
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 01:06 PM   #55
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
He seems a little more level headed in that on-camera moment, but remember, he went out of his way to call a 9-month pregnant woman a bitch for having a few items over the limit in a 10 items or less lane.

That might be sorta-kinda reasonable if he was stuck behind her, or if he was sticking up for other people behind her, but by his account, there were multiple open lanes, so she wouldn't have been actually inconveniencing anyone. He apparently had finished his shopping, tried to get the supermarket to take some action against her, then decided he needed to confront her himself.

Over a technical supermarket rule violation by a very pregnant woman that it seems had no effect on anyone.

I don't see that as terribly level headed.

I don't see that as level-headed either, but I see him as level-headed because he admits it and is obviously embarrassed about it. The rule doesn't exempt pregnant women, the disabled or politicians, and I don't think that it should.

An anecdote: Twenty years ago, one Sunday morning, I was standing in line at the baker's behind a very famous Danish politician, a former minister, who also went on to become the Lord Mayor of Copenhagen.
At one point, one of the sellers attended to another customer even though it was the politican's turn to be served. It was a mistake, and it was probably due to the minister being very short. I think the girl behind the counter simply overlooked her. (It was the first time I saw the politician in person, and I was surprised to see how short she was.) However, the former minister was obviously shocked - not because something like this could happen, but because somethings like this could happen to her!
I suppose I was not the only one who remembered the scandals she had been involved in over the years. One of them was when she was a minister and had a ferry (+ all the passengers, of course!) wait for her because she was running late!

Many politicians are inconsiderate ********, and I don't think that it changes much just because they happen to be black and/or pregnant.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 01:08 PM   #56
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

I would have been more upset at being called a bitch, honestly. I'm not sure why this woman felt the need to add more to the insult (if indeed that's what happened). "Bitch" is a terrible enough word on its own.

"But men can be bitches too!" Okay, well, if you say so - any man who wanted to flip out at being called that isn't going to get any argument from me.

"But women call each other bitches affectionately!" Ah, the n-word defense. Can't speak for what anyone else does, but I sure don't call my friends bitches. Also, even if I did, strangers have a different threshold. Strangers calling me "sweetie" aren't going to get a very positive response either.

Let's see, what else. "But bitch can be a neutral verb! Like someone is bitching about something." Okay, well, that's irrelevant because you weren't calling the woman a neutral verb.

"But bitch is a female dog!" Ah, that makes it a lot better!
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 01:10 PM   #57
plague311
Great minds think...

Many politicians are inconsiderate ********, and I don't think that it changes much just because they happen to be black and/or pregnant.
Bit of an apples to oranges comparison, isn't it? Asking a ferry to wait, with all of it's people, vs. bitching at someone about having 5 extra items in a line that the complaining person wasn't even apart of.
Old 23rd July 2019, 01:11 PM   #58
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I would have been more upset at being called a bitch, honestly. I'm not sure why this woman felt the need to add more to the insult (if indeed that's what happened). "Bitch" is a terrible enough word on its own.

"But men can be bitches too!" Okay, well, if you say so - any man who wanted to flip out at being called that isn't going to get any argument from me.

"But women call each other bitches affectionately!" Ah, the n-word defense. Can't speak for what anyone else does, but I sure don't call my friends bitches. Also, even if I did, strangers have a different threshold. Strangers calling me "sweetie" aren't going to get a very positive response either.

Let's see, what else. "But bitch can be a neutral verb! Like someone is bitching about something." Okay, well, that's irrelevant because you weren't calling the woman a neutral verb.

"But bitch is a female dog!" Ah, that makes it a lot better!
Bitch please!
Old 23rd July 2019, 01:15 PM   #59
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Bit of an apples to oranges comparison, isn't it? Asking a ferry to wait, with all of it's people, vs. bitching at someone about having 5 extra items in a line that the complaining person wasn't even apart of.

Yes. Still, you shouldn't let a politician get away with any of those things! They get away with much too much as it is.

ETA: And they both ought to know about the Cuban way.

Last edited by dann; 23rd July 2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 23rd July 2019, 01:16 PM   #60
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Bitch please!

Okay, that was funny.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 01:20 PM   #61
plague311
Great minds think...

Yes. Still, you shouldn't let a politician get away with any of those things! They get away with much too much as it is.

ETA: And they both ought to know about the Cuban way.
I feel like I talk about where I'm from a lot, but honestly, in NoDak this is just standard behavior. I can't say how many times I've seen someone in line with more items than is allowed, because I've never taken the time to notice. She's 9 months pregnant LoL. It was probably the closest line to wherever she was at. It's certainly not enough to call someone a bitch over. I'm not even sure if he knew she was a politician before hand or that came out after.

This seems insanely petty on every single front LoL.

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post

Okay, that was funny.
I had to
Old 23rd July 2019, 02:07 PM   #62
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Lawmaker, not lawfollower.
I'm pretty sure going through the express lane with too many items isn't actually illegal. Against store rules? Yes.

Rude and inconsiderate of other customers? Yes again.

Illegal? I think not.

I'm also a bit curious to know whether we're talking about one or two extra items, or a cart stacked two feet high.

Obviously, making false accusations of racism is far worse than whatever violation of store rules initially led to the confrontation.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 02:08 PM   #63
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I'm pretty sure going through the express lane with too many items isn't actually illegal. Against store rules? Yes.

Rude and inconsiderate of other customers? Yes again.

Illegal? I think not.

I'm also a bit curious to know whether we're talking about one or two extra items, or a cart stacked two feet high.

Obviously, making false accusations of racism is far worse than whatever violation of store rules initially led to the confrontation.
She had 15 items in the 10 and under line.
Old 23rd July 2019, 02:44 PM   #64
bluesjnr

Isn't it hard work doing people's reading for them!
Old 23rd July 2019, 02:47 PM   #65
plague311
Great minds think...

Isn't it hard work doing people's reading for them!
I was just doing my best to #PayItForward
Old 23rd July 2019, 03:01 PM   #66
mumblethrax
Species traitor

We should really hear from a lawyer specializing in supermarket checkout law before jumping to any conclusions about how many items she had.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 03:03 PM   #67
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

That's acceptable under most circumstances.
Old 23rd July 2019, 04:22 PM   #68
Planigale
Philosopher

Guys, guys; she was pregnant of course she was entitled. She should be allowed to jump the queue, she probably has pregnancy brain with no emotional stability and little memory. Pregnant woman goes to shortest queue and shouts at someone when they tried to send her back to a longer queue. Of course she did. You lot try shopping with a baby on board!
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 04:48 PM   #69
mgidm86
Philosopher

Oh I see now - he looks and sounds white! Good for him confronting her on camera. She pulled the race card right there during the interview - "...because I'm black". Jussie must be proud. Two Dems accusing each other of racism!

Dems eating each other ain't gonna help them in 2020. It isn't looking good at all. The fake and/or misplaced outrage is getting old across the board. They are now on the road to resentment and damaging the causes they pretend to champion.

You'd think after realizing that running Hillary against Trump was a dumb idea that the party could come together and straighten their act up. Not even close.

Note: with all the enormous people in this country it can be difficult to tell if a woman is pregnant or not. Not that it matters in this case one bit. Her shirt alluded to the fact, but in order to read it you'd have to look at her chest which can also get the #MeToo crowd after you

She blew it, but while Dem, not while black.
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:04 PM   #70
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

In Japanese trains, the priority seats are reserved for elderly and handicapped people as well as pregnant women, so I think it's polite to not harass a pregnant woman at the checkout line.

I think that Reason gives a pretty evenhanded take on this:

https://reason.com/2019/07/22/erica-...sm-hoax-media/

Quote:
Here's the de-sensationalized version of events: Thomas and Sparkes agree that she had opted to use the express checkout option, even though she had more groceries than the line allows. This irked Sparkes, despite the fact that two other lanes were open and available. He snitched on Sparkes to customer service and was informed that company policy forbade the store from doing anything about it, but that Sparkes could take matters into his own hands if he wished. Ultimately, Sparkes approached Thomas, and the two had words. Which words, precisely, is up for debate.

"This woman, Ms. Thomas, is playing the victim," Sparkes told WSB TV, telling his side of the story. "I am a Democrat, I vote Democrat party line. All my statements are anti-Trump, anti-Republican, anti-bigotry."

Sparkes utterly denied that there was anything racially tinged about his comments to Thomas. His strong denial, political affiliation, and the fact that Thomas backtracked slightly are being treated as conclusive evidence by Team Hoax. Of course, it's easy to go too far in this direction. Sparkes admits, for instance, that he called Thomas "lazy"and a "bitch." Maybe his comments weren't racist, but if you're calling a pregnant lady a lazy bitch, you aren't exactly the good guy, and it would be a stretch to label your conduct as non-hateful. Perhaps this is a sign of our incredibly politicized times: an accusation of racism must be rebutted at all costs, while mundane cruelty, seemingly tinged with sexism, is considered above board.

In truth, both Thomas and Sparkes seemed like they behaved obnoxiously. Sparkes should have minded his own business, especially given his admission that Thomas's abuse of the express checkout lane didn't even inconvenience him—there were other lanes. But Thomas quite clearly chose to escalate—and publicize—the incident, injecting it with political urgency and slotting it into a national narrative the media would find too tempting to ignore.
See? He's not a racist, he's just an *******. An equal opportunity *******.

He wasn't being personally inconvenienced, as there were other checkout lanes he could have used. He was just incensed that a pregnant woman was breaking the rules. Rules which it turns out the store itself doesn't think are important enough to enforce as a matter of policy. He first reported it to store employees and when they told him that actually we don't enforce that rule but you can confront her if you want, he took it upon himself to give her a piece of his mind and berate her.

I do think that the store should rethink their policy or just get rid of express checkout altogether. Yeah, we won't have our employees enforce this rule, we'll just let random irate customers be the enforcers. What could go wrong?

Last edited by Puppycow; 23rd July 2019 at 05:13 PM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 06:54 PM   #71
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

It's not really newsworthy but people all over the world seem to have strong feelings about it. This thread alone shows that. I'm sure there's much discussion on other social media platforms as well. It's a chance for all of us to get on our high horses about something.
Old 24th July 2019, 02:31 AM   #72
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
He was just incensed that a pregnant woman was breaking the rules.

He was incensed that somebody was breaking the rules. (Or would you prefer to change the thread title to: Making Stuff up While Pregnant?!)
Old 24th July 2019, 02:57 AM   #73
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
It's not really newsworthy but people all over the world seem to have strong feelings about it. This thread alone shows that. I'm sure there's much discussion on other social media platforms as well. It's a chance for all of us to get on our high horses about something.
Not as much as over in the US lately.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 03:52 AM   #74
applecorped
Banned

2 Democrats engage in Racist duel.......everyone lost
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 05:27 AM   #75
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Update: No "criminal" charges will be filed. Both can choose civil litigation. The drama continues...

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/co...VSOTaMnVLmHEP/
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 05:38 AM   #76
Joe Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Not as much as over in the US lately.
Have you read most of the threads here, especially in SI/CE and USAPol? There's a fairly substantial population of posters outside the US who get very involved in discussions of social/political issues, no matter how localized the issue (i.e. goes way beyond 'what crap is Trump tweeting now?').

Not saying that's good or bad, just that, counter to your claim above, a whole lot of non-USA folks seem to be pretty passionate about who just j-walked across Ventura BLVD and the like.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 05:44 AM   #77
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Update: No "criminal" charges will be filed. Both can choose civil litigation. The drama continues...

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/co...VSOTaMnVLmHEP/
The woman refuses to be held to account for her actions, however mundane they may seem. This refusal and subsequent concoction of lies to create a victim status can only point to the fact that she is unsuitable for public office.

Sparkes seems to be an officious wee ***** who wasn't harmed by her initial actions only aggrieved at her temerity. I wonder if he regrets his move?
Old 24th July 2019, 05:52 AM   #78
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Have you read most of the threads here, especially in SI/CE and USAPol? There's a fairly substantial population of posters outside the US who get very involved in discussions of social/political issues, no matter how localized the issue (i.e. goes way beyond 'what crap is Trump tweeting now?').

Not saying that's good or bad, just that, counter to your claim above, a whole lot of non-USA folks seem to be pretty passionate about who just j-walked across Ventura BLVD and the like.
For me, it's fascinating to watch it and, in no small way, an amusing pastime. A great number of the population of all colours, creeds and cultures stateside seem to have lost their **** and fall over themselves to;

1) Stick their oar in without engaging common sense.
2) Manufacture victim status based on race and gender.

On the other hand many of "the very good people on both sides" have a legitimate gripe.

There's quite the microcosm to be seen on this forum, in itself.

Sadly, as always, the UK is in thrall lockstep and will be right along shortly. We're right behind you.
Old 24th July 2019, 05:59 AM   #79
Cavemonster
Philosopher

The woman refuses to be held to account for her actions, however mundane they may seem. This refusal and subsequent concoction of lies to create a victim status can only point to the fact that she is unsuitable for public office.

Sparkes seems to be an officious wee ***** who wasn't harmed by her initial actions only aggrieved at her temerity. I wonder if he regrets his move?
She may be lying, but the witness testimony doesn't contradict her account. Her description seems to imply that his "go back where you came from" comment was close to the start of the altercation. The witness is clear that she only heard the altercation later.

And I still object to the notion that her initial action of using the 10 items or less lane is something she needed to account for in any way. Its a practical policy, not a law. It matters only to the extent that it causes inconvenience to others. At the point that there are plenty of empty lanes and no one has to wait, the rule has no meaning or power.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 24th July 2019, 06:13 AM   #80
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe they should change the sign at the checkout lane to clarify that it is a "suggested limit" and not a hard limit, since store policy is to not actually enforce the limit.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events