IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Elijah Cummings , racism charges , racism issues

Old 23rd September 2020, 09:19 PM   #441
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Kimberly Klacik

One of the benefits of reading the dissident Right is that you get exposed to interesting ideas and new people before they enter the mainstream. I first mentioned Kimberly Klacik (the lady in red) in post in August of last year. At the time she was largely unknown and now she is running for Congress in Maryland's 7th district. She spoke at the RNC and has had several internet videos go viral. She makes the same points I did:

- Black lives don't matter to Democrats
- Crumbling Infrastructure, abandoned homes, poverty and crime
- Baltimore has been run by the Democratic party for 53 years.
- Baltimore is in the top 5 most dangerous cities in America
- The murder rate in Baltimore is 10 times the US average.
- The Baltimore poverty rate is over 20 percent.

I was admonished as a "racist" in these forums for referring to Baltimore as a garbage dump. Yet Kimberly Klacik describes Baltimore in largely the same way I did.

Kimberly Klacik: I see a Baltimore that picks of trash. There are piles of garbage all around Baltimore.

Notes in the Margin: I referenced three cities in my original post where Black Lives Matter originally triumphed, Chicago, St. Louis and Baltimore. So how are those cities doing today? I believe we should distinguish Black Lives Matter version 1.0 (2014 -2017) from Black Lives Matter version 2.0 (2020 - ) which emerged after the death of George Floyd. BLM version 2.0 will likely prove even more deadlier than BLM version 1.0.

Amid ‘indescribable times,’ St. Louis homicide rate reaches historic levels

Since June 1, our numbers began to rise at the alarming rate,” said Aubuchon, the homicide unit’s commander since 2018. “We’ve never seen anything like the last three months. These are indescribable times.”

"If the pace of killings continues, St. Louis will reach an ignoble milestone. Over the past decade, the city has averaged 50 homicides in the last four months of the year, according to police statistics. If that holds true, St. Louis will see about 240 homicides in 2020,"

Hmm...So the numbers really began to rise on June 1st. Now I can't quite put my finger on it, but didn't something happen a few days earlier on Memorial Day? As with BLM version 1.0, the fake news media is loath to show any connection between BLM and huge spikes in the murder rate.

Undesired Walrus: "Why, Ron, Mark mentioned this on your very own show!"
tanabear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 09:21 PM   #442
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

So what's her solution?
Old 24th September 2020, 08:23 AM   #443
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
So what's her solution?
Same as pretty much any member of the GOP: Complain the cities are bad and cut their budgets until they learn to vote Republican. Oh, but throw out some cash to the police forces so they have military gear and know how to get away with killing those uppity minorities. If you go full QAnon GOP then you try to remove any Federal & State representation by the city whatsoever.

And I see the usual cherry-picking from our White Supremacist.

I don't think 'viral' means 'spread around among a bunch of RedCaps' .
Old 24th September 2020, 08:43 AM   #444
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by tanabear View Post
...snip....
You seem to be saying Trump hasn't fixed all the problems in his city?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 12:27 PM   #445
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Same as pretty much any member of the GOP: Complain the cities are bad and cut their budgets until they learn to vote Republican. Oh, but throw out some cash to the police forces so they have military gear and know how to get away with killing those uppity minorities. If you go full QAnon GOP then you try to remove any Federal & State representation by the city whatsoever.

Nah, she's pretty much the same as Candace Owens or Burlap and Glass - says the same racist crap that Dolt 45 does, but lets his supporters think that "democrats are the real racists" because they can point to a black person that "isn't on that Democrat plantation." And in the process, racist white people give her money, and she...well, gets money.

Note that the line of thinking is still laughably racist, likening black voters to willing slaves. Last time she ran was soon after Elijah Cummings died, and Kwesi Mfune (who got 90-someodd % of the vote) slaughtered her in Bmore - although she did somewhat better in the suburbs.

I think she got like 30-40% outside the city. Basically, her run was doomed from the start.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 01:26 PM   #446
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Nah, she's pretty much the same as Candace Owens or Burlap and Glass - says the same racist crap that Dolt 45 does, but lets his supporters think that "democrats are the real racists" because they can point to a black person that "isn't on that Democrat plantation." And in the process, racist white people give her money, and she...well, gets money.
Yes, but they play that game to get to the "cut the city budgets" that the GOP loves so very , very much. Then stuff their own districts with pork that would make Newt Gingrich blush with shame.

I also note that her stance is not how to solve problems, but rather pointing out problems and trying to assess blame (for anyone other than the GOP holding the purse strings, mind you).

Quote:
Note that the line of thinking is still laughably racist, likening black voters to willing slaves. Last time she ran was soon after Elijah Cummings died, and Kwesi Mfune (who got 90-someodd % of the vote) slaughtered her in Bmore - although she did somewhat better in the suburbs.

I think she got like 30-40% outside the city. Basically, her run was doomed from the start.
Didn't know that last part with her running and getting trounced. Amusing that the OPWS is so star-eyed about her. To be honest I wouldn't have heard of her except as a footnote in the loss column. I love how he calls her RNC speeches 'going viral'. The only thing viral I remember from the RNC was Guilfoyle, and not in the 'inspiring' kind of viral way.
Old 24th September 2020, 03:13 PM   #447
Mumbles
Philosopher

Yes, but they play that game to get to the "cut the city budgets" that the GOP loves so very , very much. Then stuff their own districts with pork that would make Newt Gingrich blush with shame.

I also note that her stance is not how to solve problems, but rather pointing out problems and trying to assess blame (for anyone other than the GOP holding the purse strings, mind you).
That's more of a state-level thing at the moment, in no small part due to one Larry Hogan. Although to be honest, defunding whatever resources help minorities disproportionally is a long-standing tradition in the US, and there's little doubt that Dolt 45 continues to do so at every opportunity, both because he';s a white supremacist an because it "proves that "they can't govern themselves".

Quote:
Didn't know that last part with her running and getting trounced. Amusing that the OPWS is so star-eyed about her. To be honest I wouldn't have heard of her except as a footnote in the loss column. I love how he calls her RNC speeches 'going viral'. The only thing viral I remember from the RNC was Guilfoyle, and not in the 'inspiring' kind of viral way.
I recall some photos of Donkey Trump Jr. being on cocaine and the like - but yeah, it was mostly her shouting like Rita Repulsa from the Power Rangers that got passed around.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 09:26 PM   #448
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
So what's her solution?
Vote out the Democrats. Even a small change like that can make a marked improvement. Just look how much better NYC got after they dumped Dinkins and voted in Giuliani.

Same as pretty much any member of the GOP: Complain the cities are bad and cut their budgets until they learn to vote Republican
This is the same tired broken record that Dems and Libs always repeat without the slightest bit of evidence..."Budget cuts...budget cuts...budget cuts"..."lack of funding"..."lack of funding"..."lack of funding"...On the other hand, I'm not sure why you need to give Baltimore or any city tons of money to prevent people from shooting each other, but anyway.

From Newsweek:
Baltimore Burning: It's Not A Matter of Money. We Tried That

But the idea that we haven't been "investing" in Baltimore is nonsense...Federal and state money has been pouring into the city for decades. From fiscal years 2003 to 2013 (the last year for which these reports are available), Baltimore received at least $2.4 billion in federal assistance and another $1.8 billion in state aid. The city also received roughly $1.8 billion in federal stimulus money, of which more than $1.4 billion has been spent so far. And this doesn't count the billions of dollars received directly by the people who live in Baltimore through various social welfare programs....Part of the problem, unsurprisingly, is that the city does not make very good use of the money it receives.[Translation: Democratic leadership is inept]

The Washington Post reports how the federal and state governments spent more than $130 million rejuvenating the Sandtown area in Baltimore where Freddie Gray was arrested. Barely half of the working-age population is employed, according to a recent report from the Justice Policy Institute and the Prison Policy Initiative...The neighborhood lacks a supermarket or a single restaurant, not even a fast food outlet. More than 60 percent of people over 25 have less than a high school diploma, and almost half of current high school students are chronically absent. Life expectancy is 10 years lower than the national average.

Baltimore spends $16,578 a year per pupil in schools, roughly 52 percent above the national average, and the fourth most of any major city. The majority of that money comes not from the city itself but from the state and federal governments...

Yet more than a quarter of Baltimore students fail to graduate from high school. Fewer than half of Baltimore high school students passed the last Maryland High School Assessment test. SAT scores for Baltimore students are more than 100 points below the national average.

It sounds like Newsweek is repeating all those White Supremacist[Read: Truth-tellers] talking points as well.

Is Newsweek cherry-picking as well?

I believe her campaign ad had about 5 million views on her twitter page.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You seem to be saying Trump hasn't fixed all the problems in his city?
It isn't his city. Baltimore has been run by Democrats for decades and it is an absolute cauldron of violence and decay.

tanabear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 09:33 PM   #449
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Vote out the Democrats. Even a small change like that can make a marked improvement. Just look how much better NYC got after they dumped Dinkins and voted in Giuliani.
and what plan would that new leadership have?
Old 25th September 2020, 03:07 AM   #450
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

This is the same tired broken record that Dems and Libs always repeat without the slightest bit of evidence..."Budget cuts...budget cuts...budget cuts"..."lack of funding"..."lack of funding"..."lack of funding"...On the other hand, I'm not sure why you need to give Baltimore or any city tons of money to prevent people from shooting each other, but anyway.

From Newsweek:

But the idea that we haven't been "investing" in Baltimore is nonsense...Federal and state money has been pouring into the city for decades. From fiscal years 2003 to 2013 (the last year for which these reports are available), Baltimore received at least $2.4 billion in federal assistance and another $1.8 billion in state aid. The city also received roughly $1.8 billion in federal stimulus money, of which more than $1.4 billion has been spent so far. And this doesn't count the billions of dollars received directly by the people who live in Baltimore through various social welfare programs....Part of the problem, unsurprisingly, is that the city does not make very good use of the money it receives.[Translation: Democratic leadership is inept]

The Washington Post reports how the federal and state governments spent more than $130 million rejuvenating the Sandtown area in Baltimore where Freddie Gray was arrested. Barely half of the working-age population is employed, according to a recent report from the Justice Policy Institute and the Prison Policy Initiative...The neighborhood lacks a supermarket or a single restaurant, not even a fast food outlet. More than 60 percent of people over 25 have less than a high school diploma, and almost half of current high school students are chronically absent. Life expectancy is 10 years lower than the national average.

Baltimore spends $16,578 a year per pupil in schools, roughly 52 percent above the national average, and the fourth most of any major city. The majority of that money comes not from the city itself but from the state and federal governments...

Yet more than a quarter of Baltimore students fail to graduate from high school. Fewer than half of Baltimore high school students passed the last Maryland High School Assessment test. SAT scores for Baltimore students are more than 100 points below the national average.

It sounds like Newsweek is repeating all those White Supremacist[Read: Truth-tellers] talking points as well.

It isn't his city. Baltimore has been run by Democrats for decades and it is an absolute cauldron of violence and decay.
Special pleading.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 06:29 AM   #451
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Crime was already falling under Dinkins. We've already established that Giuliani just benefited from that downswing.

Quote:

From Newsweek:
Ah, an opinion piece from Michael Tanner, of the Cato Institute. Not impressed.

Quote:
Opinion piece from the Cato Institute.

Quote:
Again, opinion piece from the Cato Institute.

But that's not the point here. You go running to attack a city that is suffering to blame it all on the Democrats in your typical simple-minds-for-simple-solutions gambit that has been shown to be empty. You decidedly ignore cities under Democrats that are doing well.

Quote:
And "Friday" by Rebecca Black has over 100 million views. I'm not impressed with wingnut numbers. 5 million views translated to 38K votes in the polls. So its just wingnuts passing around a "look, one of them agrees with us!!!" meme. But hey, you've already demonstrated in this thread that you are an easy mark for empty right-wing showpieces.

Quote:
You've been corrected on this before when you tried to declare LA as a '3rd world slum'. Baltimore is part of the US and therefore at least under his Presidency. But he's a pathetic, thin-skinned wimp who gets upset that someone was critical of him and now makes regular attacks on cities that don't like him. Witness Barr's declarations about "Anarchist cities" and attempts to defund and punish cities for daring to vote Democrat.
Old 4th October 2020, 10:05 AM   #452
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Crime was already falling under Dinkins. We've already established that Giuliani just benefited from that downswing.
No. There are variations in the crime rate from year to year. Some years the murder rate goes up, other years it goes down. The long downward trend came about because of Giuliani and then Bloomberg who continued on, and in many ways amplified, his anti-crime measures. In fact, the number of murders under Dinkins was at their all-time high in NYC. He was mayor of NYC from 1990 to 1993. These are the murder totals:

1990 2245
1991 2154
1992 1995
1993 1946

There was a precipitous drop once Giuliani came into office:

1994 1561
1995 1177
1996 983
1997 770
1998 633
1999 671
2000 673

When Giuliani left office the number of murders were at their lowest point since the mid-1960s. If liberal Democrats had remained in office the number of murders would have remained well above 1,000 per year.

p.s. The number of murders in New York City passed 1,000 for the first time in 1969 and did not fall below this mark until 1996. Liberal Democrats were running NYC when the murder skyrocketed in the 1960s and it remained high until a Republican was elected.

Ah, an opinion piece from Michael Tanner, of the Cato Institute. Not impressed.
You might not agree with the opinions, but the point was that the problems in Baltimore have nothing to do with under funding. So you chose to ignore that part of it and dismiss all the evidence that doesn't fit your cult belief system.

"Baltimore City Public Schools continue to rank among the highest spenders in the U.S. on a per-student basis, placing third among the 100 biggest school systems during fiscal year 2017...City schools spent $16,184 per pupil, according to data released Tuesday by the Census Bureau, up 6.7% from last year when the school system ranked fifth nationally."

"BALTIMORE (WBFF) - An alarming discovery coming out of City Schools. Project Baltimore analyzed 2017 state testing data and found one-third of High Schools in Baltimore, last year, had zero students proficient in math...“Nine out of ten black boys in Baltimore City are not reading at grade level,” added Pannell."

But that's not the point here. You go running to attack a city that is suffering to blame it all on the Democrats in your typical simple-minds-for-simple-solutions gambit that has been shown to be empty. You decidedly ignore cities under Democrats that are doing well.
Well, I suppose most cities in the developed world are doing well. But it takes a special kind of malice and incompetence to turn a first-world city into a complete garbage dump. This talent for taking cities from first-world to third-world status is unique to the Democratic Left.

You've been corrected on this before when you tried to declare LA as a '3rd world slum'. Baltimore is part of the US and therefore at least under his Presidency. But he's a pathetic, thin-skinned wimp who gets upset that someone was critical of him and now makes regular attacks on cities that don't like him. Witness Barr's declarations about "Anarchist cities" and attempts to defund and punish cities for daring to vote Democrat.
Bernie Sanders referred to Baltimore as a 3rd world city in 2015. Who was President then? Obama. Why didn't he fix Baltimore after 8 years as President?

"Anyone who took the walk that we took around this neighborhood would not think you're in a wealthy nation," Sanders told reporters later at the Freddie Gray Empowerment Center in Bolton Hill. "You would think that you were in a Third World country."
Bernie Sanders.

Old 4th October 2020, 10:28 AM   #453
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Trump still hasn't sorted out the problem in his city? So much for LAW AND ORDER.
Old 4th October 2020, 12:02 PM   #454
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

No.
Yes.

Sorry but riding the biggest part of the wave doesn't mean you started it. Its hard to push the sled up the hill to get it over the ledge. Just because Rudy jumped on the sled after it was going downhill doesn't mean he did the hard work.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fac...me_buster.html

Rudy benefited from an already dropping crime rate and an improving economy. He takes far too much credit for it and you give him far too much. In fairness, it was probably the hires made by Dinkins rather than Dinkins himself that lowered crime rates.

Quote:
You might not agree with the opinions,
I don't. Its just a pile of numbers with a conclusion paid for by the Cato institute which would unfund every city if they could. It didn't work under the Reagan city de-funding and it still doesn't work.

Whatever Baltimore's problems are, simple-minded Republican solutions are not it.

Quote:
Well, I suppose most cities in the developed world are doing well. But it takes a special kind of malice and incompetence to turn a first-world city into a complete garbage dump. This talent for taking cities from first-world to third-world status is unique to the Democratic Left.
You've already embarrassed yourself calling US cities "3rd world slums". Stop digging.

Quote:
Bernie Sanders referred to Baltimore as a 3rd world city in 2015. Who was President then? Obama. Why didn't he fix Baltimore after 8 years as President?
Bernie's hyperbole is besides the point. And again, why you ignore all the other cities in the USA that are run by Democrats? There are quite a number of them. This is why you get called out for cherry picking.
Old 4th October 2020, 12:06 PM   #455
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Trump still hasn't sorted out the problem in his city? So much for LAW AND ORDER.
I know you are goading him but you'll notice that there are no actual solutions given by the GOP. His suggestion is just to put a Republican in charge and they'll automatically fix the problem. No methodology, no programs, no plans, just like Trump - they alone can fix it. Except they can't they won't, and they invariably would make things worse.
Old 21st October 2020, 07:29 PM   #456
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I'll be interested to see how the "All Dem cities are cesspits of crime and violence" and the "sanctuary cities are letting illegal immigrants commit massive amounts of crime" crowd in this forum are going to twist themselves into pretzels to spin this away

Study finds no crime increase in cities that adopted ‘sanctuary’ policies, despite Trump claims

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...gn=wp_national

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 21st October 2020 at 08:00 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2020, 07:43 PM   #457
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Well, I don’t think he’ll want to bring up his golden boy Guiliani anytime soon.
Old 22nd October 2020, 05:31 AM   #458
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'll be interested to see how the "All Dem cities are cesspits of crime and violence" and the "sanctuary cities are letting illegal immigrants commit massive amounts of crime" crowd in this forum are going to twist themselves into pretzels to spin this away

The second part is a drum that people have been beating for a while. Back in 2008, AM radio raving lunatic Michael Savage was regularly claiming on his show that a Barack Obama victory would result in California's cities being overrun by vast armies of illegal immigrants robbing, raping, and killing good, decent (white) Americans.
I don't remember seeing that happening on the news.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2020, 06:34 AM   #459
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Study finds no crime increase in cities that adopted ‘sanctuary’ policies, despite Trump claims

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...gn=wp_national
This one is especially hilarious, given the wild-eyed assertions:

Quote:
President Donald Trump portrays the hundreds of people arrested nationwide in protests against racial injustice as violent urban left-wing radicals. But an Associated Press review of thousands of pages of court documents tells a different story.

Very few of those charged appear to be affiliated with highly organized extremist groups, and many are young suburban adults from the very neighborhoods Trump vows to protect from the violence in his reelection push to win support from the suburbs.
Old 23rd October 2020, 03:04 AM   #460
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

[FX] **** chirp - chirp **** chirp - chirp **** chirp - chirp **** chirp - chirp **[/FX]

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 06:17 AM   #461
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

... p.s. The number of murders in New York City passed 1,000 for the first time in 1969 and did not fall below this mark until 1996. Liberal Democrats were running NYC when the murder skyrocketed in the 1960s and it remained high until a Republican was elected.
Zero tolerance with litter, or perhaps stop and frisk, lowered the rate? I hardly think so. Guess what measurable and real set of events coincides exactly with the dates you cite? The crack cocaine epidemic, which came about largely by good capitalist practice by drug lords: faced with a market glut, they came up with a higher margin product that turned cocaine into a more addictive drug and restored profits.

I could go on, such as the impact of the ensuing mass incarceration of black men also on crime rates, owing to financially busted families and the, wait for it, concomitant rise of youthful gangs, another phenomenon you can falsely blame out of context on urban dwellers and their wild ways... but to do so properly would involve tracking sociopolitical trends, events in the US and abroad, and so on. In a word, work. OMG.

So, like, causality is a bitch, dude. Especially in multivariate situations. But hey, agreed, finger pointing is so jolly.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 23rd October 2020 at 06:18 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics