IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Elijah Cummings , racism charges , racism issues

Old 4th August 2019, 12:50 AM   #121
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Ah, it's that 4% that's the tipping point. Okay.
Old 4th August 2019, 07:15 PM   #122
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by tanabear View Post
Leftists blame societies ills on rural rednecks.
The leftists I know consider lobbyists, Congress, gerrymanderers, and corporate officers to be far more responsible for society’s ills.

It doesn’t make sense to blame the rednecks for society’s ills.
Old 4th August 2019, 11:36 PM   #123
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
The leftists I know consider lobbyists, Congress, gerrymanderers, and corporate officers to be far more responsible for society’s ills.

It doesn’t make sense to blame the rednecks for society’s ills.
Read the thread. It's strange to watch these mental gymnastics by non-Americans. They think by blaming "rednecks" for murders it's somehow "not racist." Case in point:
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Our rightmost mainstream party is way left of your leftmost party....liberalism hasn't done us any harm over here.....in 2017 we had 35 murders in a country of five million people. But then we don't have a population made up of 35% redneck racists with a Racist in Chief as their Dear Leader
Despite how daft he is, I refuse to believe smartcooky (and others like him) don't know who commits the majority of murders in America. He tries to cover up his hatred by saying "rednecks" but his words show whom he really hates: black people.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 12:11 AM   #124
Mumbles
Philosopher

Rural rednecks are least privileged and powerful group in America. They are the butt of jokes and are routinely demeaned for their way of life. Rednecks have no power culturally or governmentally and they certainly have no power in our great liberal cities. Whatever problems Baltimore, Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Louis have it certainly can't be laid at the feet of rednecks.
Every group gets jokes about - politicians, "Hollywood liberals", every racial and religious group.

Quote:
This is true. The rise of the Black Lives Matter(BLM) movement was largely based on a fiction though, "Hands up, don't shoot." This lie was comparable in its negative effects as Iraq, WMD and links to Al-Qaeda. When you have BLM and their supporters marching through streets chanting, "Cops and Klan go hand and hand", it certainly doesn't help the police-community relationship.

But this is exactly my point. The hostility to the police that came out of the BLM movement caused the cops to retreat to the donut shops so to speak. There was less pro-active policing and attempts to prevent crimes from occurring to begin with. This led to a huge spike in the murder/crime rate in these cities. With thousands of extra murders and destroyed communities, was it worth it?
Actually, what destroyed police/community relations has been decades of racist policing, not Black Lives Matter (which arose in response to murderer George Zimmerman being allowed to walk). Or at least that's what I'd say had police/community relations in these areas ever been good. Baltimore, for example, had police who attacked high high school students on the day of Freddie Grey's funeral, a series of scandals including drug planting and the absurdly corrupt Gun Trace Task Force, major issues with lead poisoning, and major deindustrialization and divestment by the federal government. And we all saw the wild police overreaction in Ferguson, as well as the damning DOJ report on policing there.

Oh, and there's the easy access to guns to discuss, naturally.

Quote:
Bernie Sanders considered West Baltimore to resemble a third world country. "...anyone who took the walk that we took around this neighborhood would not think you’re in a wealthy nation. You would think that you’re in a third world country.”
Bernie Sanders.
Yeah, it's crap like that that earns him a serious side-eye.

Quote:
Yes, I know how this game is played. Anyone winning an argument with a Leftist is a racist. A "racist" is just someone who isn't afraid to tell the truth.
Let's be honest - you couldn't care less about Bmore, St. Louis, or any other black neighborhood. And I know this, because it's black and Latino people, schools, churches, and community groups that work against gun violence in these communities - white people? Nowhere to be found. Lots of them like to finger-wave from afar, though.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 12:20 AM   #125
Mumbles
Philosopher

So black conservatives and white conservatives work together to address and solve real problems. Black liberals and white liberals get together to scream RACIST! This is politics in the current year.
No, they don't. Common mistake - nobody wants to have anything to do with black *republicans*, in large part because grifters like Candace Owens and Rayon & Quartz make them look awful. Most black *conservatives* vote for democrats, since *republicans* have spent decades either ignoring or actively repelling them.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 01:33 AM   #126
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Despite how daft he is, I refuse to believe smartcooky (and others like him) don't know who commits the majority of murders in America. He tries to cover up his hatred by saying "rednecks" but his words show whom he really hates: black people.
You might call me daft, but I'll call you simple minded.

The reasons for high and low crime rates are many and various; they are far more complex than your simplistic "white = good : black = bad" racism can address; and its almost certainly far too complex for someone like you to even begin to understand.

Socio-economic conditions have more to do with high crime rates than race. The USA is an overtly racist society, and the fact that blacks have a higher crime rate in America than whites has a lot more to do with the attitudes and actions of whites than it has to to do with skin colour.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 5th August 2019 at 01:43 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 02:16 AM   #127
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Despite how daft he is, I refuse to believe smartcooky (and others like him) don't know who commits the majority of murders in America.
I think everybody who has studied the research on the subject even a little knows the answer to that question - the strata of society with the least wealth. Income inequality is the best predictor of murder rates.

I'm sure that's what you were getting at.
Old 5th August 2019, 02:34 AM   #128
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

A few hundred homicides in big cities in the last few years and that's enough to say liberalism brings about death?

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...refusal-deaths
" the 22 mostly red states that refused to accept expansion starting in 2014 caused 15,600 unnecessary deaths among their residents. "

I think Republicans are much better at enabling death to citizens than any liberals in the USA ever have.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 05:18 AM   #129
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I think everybody who has studied the research on the subject even a little knows the answer to that question - the strata of society with the least wealth. Income inequality is the best predictor of murder rates.

I'm sure it wasn't, but I'm also sure that you were having a sly dig

While I agree with the content of the link you posted, IMO, it is just one factor in a very complex sociological equation that is way beyond the understanding of benighted morons such as white nationalists, white supremacists, racists and bigots.

smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 06:07 AM   #130
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Recent Scientific American article: The Internet Is a Cesspool of Racist Pseudoscience

Originally Posted by Scientific American
In Superior: The Return of Race Science, I interview researchers at the cutting edge of research into human difference to journalistically expose the dangerous history of scientific racism. It is ground that has been trodden by respected scholars in the past, including evolutionary biologist Stephen Jay Gould, historian Evelynn Hammonds and anthropologist Jonathan Marks, as well as journalists such as Amy Harmon at the New York Times. Despite all our efforts, sometimes it feels as though we are no further along.

If anything, the public debate around race and science has sunk into the mud. To state even the undeniable fact that we are one human species today means falling afoul of a cabal of conspiracy theorists. The “race realists,” as they call themselves online, join the growing ranks of climate change deniers, anti-vaxxers and flat-earthers in insisting that science is under the yoke of some grand master plan designed to pull the wool over everyone’s eyes. In their case, a left-wing plot to promote racial equality when, as far as they’re concerned, racial equality is impossible for biological reasons.

How did we get here? How did society manage to create so much room for those who genuinely believe that entire nations have innately higher or lower cognitive capacities, who think that mixed-heritage children are genetically impaired, who assume that someone’s skin color can tell you something about their IQ, and who are actively working to resurrect eugenics?

As the media landscape flattens, drawing audiences away from traditional outlets to a plethora of online ones, those with outdated views have found themselves elevated from the lonely shadows into the light. They have moved on from letters in green ink and pulled up a seat alongside reputable writers and academics. The internet has opened the door to racists and sexists, and they have happily walked in. They’re trampling over our carpets with their grubby shoes even as we offer them a drink. They have normalized extremism, pseudoscience and crackpottery.
Political opinions aside, I think it's helpful to recognize our resident race scientists as being intellectually equivalent to climate change deniers, anti-vaxxers and flat-earthers.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 09:27 AM   #131
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Leftists blame societies ills on rural rednecks.
Cite for this claim? Because I'm not aware of this phenomenon.

Meanwhile, this is what the white supremacist you cited in the OP has to say about black people:
Originally Posted by Steve Sailer
The plain fact is that they tend to possess poorer native judgment than members of better-educated groups. Thus they need stricter moral guidance from society.

Quote:
America was roughly 90% white in the 50s and 60s. Mayberry represented small-town USA at the time. There were probably many towns like Mayberry. Were there trust issues between the police and the communities they served? No.
Yes, I get it. You're ideal America community is an all-white fictional town from a 50+ year-old television show.

Quote:
There aren't many small towns or cities left that have escaped the contagion from the Left. But if I had to name one, Provo, Utah.
Shocker:
Quote:
The racial makeup of the city was 84.8% White
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 10:53 AM   #132
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Yeah, Utah in general has almost no black citizens. Mostly white or Hispanic, I saw one black person growing up in Price--a former rodeo clown now confined to a wheelchair that our church helped regularly.
Old 5th August 2019, 03:17 PM   #133
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Cite for this claim? Because I'm not aware of this phenomenon.

Meanwhile, this is what the white supremacist you cited in the OP has to say about black people:

Yes, I get it. You're ideal America community is an all-white fictional town from a 50+ year-old television show.

Shocker:
Yeah, a town in the south that had no black residents..until the last couple of seasons.
To be fair, Andy Griffith tried to change that early on in the show,but not until the late 60's did it finally happen.
ANyway, there is no such thing as a typical American small town. A small town in the South is a lot different then a small town in the Midwest or a small town in the West.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 03:23 PM   #134
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Yeah, Utah in general has almost no black citizens. Mostly white or Hispanic, I saw one black person growing up in Price--a former rodeo clown now confined to a wheelchair that our church helped regularly.
The Black Population in most of the Rocky Mountian states is pretty small
COlorado being the exception.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 04:17 PM   #135
Baylor
Philosopher

You might call me daft, but I'll call you simple minded.

The reasons for high and low crime rates are many and various; they are far more complex than your simplistic "white = good : black = bad" racism can address; and its almost certainly far too complex for someone like you to even begin to understand.

Socio-economic conditions have more to do with high crime rates than race. The USA is an overtly racist society, and the fact that blacks have a higher crime rate in America than whites has a lot more to do with the attitudes and actions of whites than it has to to do with skin colour.
Follow along please, you're all over the place. (You can't correctly identify who said what).

You said the US murder rate was high compared to New Zealand because "racist rednecks." You falsely accused a race of being prevalent murderers while tossing around racial slurs. And you think yourself as "not racist."

Neo-nazi's do this same trick, swapping "tribes"

Neo-nazi: "You know that tribe who owns the media and all the banks? Of course I'm talking about Samoans!"

smartcooky: "You know those people responsible for 'USA gun violence?' Of course I'm talking about rednecks!"

Smartcooky and neo-Nazi's are two peas in a pod!
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 04:23 PM   #136
Baylor
Philosopher

This place just can't follow along a conversation. Please stop butting in to say random things with hyperlinks no one is going to read anyway. Smartcooky blames murders on "racist rednecks," indicating his poor understanding of US crime statistics. Why one race commits vastly more homicides than another is an entirely different topic. So far, smartcooky has not demonstrated he understands basic facts about the US. One thing at a time please.
Old 5th August 2019, 06:08 PM   #137
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Follow along please, you're all over the place. (You can't correctly identify who said what).

You said the US murder rate was high compared to New Zealand because "racist rednecks." You falsely accused a race of being prevalent murderers while tossing around racial slurs. And you think yourself as "not racist."
I said that only as a direct contradiction of your BS.

Neo-nazi's do this same trick, swapping "tribes"

Neo-nazi: "You know that tribe who owns the media and all the banks? Of course I'm talking about Samoans!"

smartcooky: "You know those people responsible for 'USA gun violence?' Of course I'm talking about rednecks!"

Smartcooky and neo-Nazi's are two peas in a pod!
No, its exactly what YOU are doing; attack people for the BS the YOU are spouting while denying that you are spouting it.

You probably learned that from your Dear Leader - he does it regularly.

I know you better than you think; I've dealt with your sort all my life - you don't understand something but you can't bring yourself to admit that you don't understand, so you deflect, dodge, equivocate, obfuscate, evade, distract and then attack.

Its no shame if you can't understand the complexity of socio-economics as it relates to crime rates; its a difficult subject to comprehend. I have a number of remedial sociology resources that sort of act like a "Sociology for Dummies"... just say the word.

Old 5th August 2019, 06:10 PM   #138
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

This place just can't follow along a conversation. Please stop butting in to say random things with hyperlinks no one is going to read anyway. Smartcooky blames murders on "racist rednecks," indicating his poor understanding of US crime statistics. Why one race commits vastly more homicides than another is an entirely different topic. So far, smartcooky has not demonstrated he understands basic facts about the US. One thing at a time please.
Wow! You must have an endless supply of straw!

Old 5th August 2019, 06:15 PM   #139
Baylor
Philosopher

I said that only as a direct contradiction of your BS.
You said this in post #6, before I even made my first post in this thread. You are having great difficulty following along. This seriously has me concerned for your well-being.

Here it is, before making my first post in this thread, you falsely accused "rednecks" of being responsible for a high number of homicides.
Our rightmost mainstream party is way left of your leftmost party....liberalism hasn't done us any harm over here.....in 2017 we had 35 murders in a country of five million people. But then we don't have a population made up of 35% redneck racists with a Racist in Chief as their Dear Leader

NOTE: Our 2019 jump in the murder rate was caused by a single ultra-right wing racist who imported himself from another country to kill people!
....and you use racial slurs to show how "not racist" you are. I expect better from a 67 year old man.
Old 5th August 2019, 06:35 PM   #140
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Wow! You must have an endless supply of straw!
Every purchase of a Republican Sophistry kit comes with an endless supply of straw!
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 07:31 PM   #141
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

....and you use racial slurs to show how "not racist" you are. I expect better from a 67 year old man.

ETA: oh, and my offer to educate you stands

Last edited by smartcooky; 5th August 2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 5th August 2019, 07:57 PM   #142
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Every purchase of a Republican Sophistry kit comes with an endless supply of straw!

Old 6th August 2019, 01:23 AM   #143
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I'll take this as an admission that you realise that your views are contradicted by reality, but you'd prefer to keep your views regardless of the facts.
Old 6th August 2019, 04:48 AM   #144
IsThisTheLife
Banned

Its [sic] disappointing that there are so many. Some of the usernames have really surprised me, and I'll be re-evluating my interactions with them in future now that they have shown their true colours.
Is anyone supposed to give a ****?
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 17th August 2019 at 12:59 PM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 12:56 PM   #145
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Is anyone supposed to give a ****?
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.
I don't care if anyone gives **** (least of all you and your chums). I was simply responding to someone else's observation.

Now, if you don't like it, there's the door--------------------->

Last edited by zooterkin; 17th August 2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 6th August 2019, 01:09 PM   #146
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I'll take this as an admission that you realise that your views are contradicted by reality, but you'd prefer to keep your views regardless of the facts.
Funny that if go back to the 1800's, the Know Nothings were saying the exact same things about the irish that Baylor is saying about BLacks.
See "Gangs of New York" for details.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th August 2019, 02:57 PM   #147
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Funny that if go back to the 1800's, the Know Nothings were saying the exact same things about the irish that Baylor is saying about BLacks.

Ethnic stereotypes are incredibly cliche. What do you expect from people with no intellectual curiosity? Of course they can't do anything but grok the same list of (supposed) character defects in each instance.

There is a class of persons who these behaviors correlate with: those on the lowest rungs of socioeconomic strata. So repressed minorities show evidence of their physical and physiological insecurity, which is then pointed out as evidence they deserve their lot in life.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 03:47 PM   #148
Elagabalus
Philosopher

I googled "Late Obama Age collapse".

I want everyone to brace themselves because this may come as a shock: It's from the title of a book written by a white supremacist.

Steve Sailer!

I should have known.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 04:25 PM   #149
Baylor
Philosopher

No. You're acting stupid. Stop it.
Old 6th August 2019, 04:32 PM   #150
Baylor
Philosopher

What am I saying about blacks?
Old 6th August 2019, 04:34 PM   #151
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Ethnic stereotypes are incredibly cliche. What do you expect from people with no intellectual curiosity? Of course they can't do anything but grok the same list of (supposed) character defects in each instance.
Harsh words to say about Smartcooky

Old 6th August 2019, 05:10 PM   #152
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Harsh words to say about Smartcooky

Misfire. He was talking about you!

You are the one lacking intellectual curiosity - you get your talking points from Faux News, and you stick with them regardless of the facts and evidence.

Old 6th August 2019, 07:47 PM   #153
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Corporate America today is very Woke. The legacy Left still continues to give lip-service about all the dangers of big corporations, but their hearts aren't in it anymore.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Actually, what destroyed police/community relations has been decades of racist policing, not Black Lives Matter (which arose in response to murderer George Zimmerman being allowed to walk). Or at least that's what I'd say had police/community relations in these areas ever been good. Baltimore, for example, had police who attacked high high school students on the day of Freddie Grey's funeral, a series of scandals including drug planting and the absurdly corrupt Gun Trace Task Force, major issues with lead poisoning, and major deindustrialization and divestment by the federal government. And we all saw the wild police overreaction in Ferguson, as well as the damning DOJ report on policing there.
There is a simple way to test this.

1) The cops are racist and they are stopping and harassing black people more frequently because of their ingrained prejudice towards blacks.

2) The cops are engaged in pro-active policing measures to prevent crimes from occurring in the first place.

If pro-active policing or racial profiling(pick your euphemism or dysphemism) is ineffective and motivated only by racism, then when the police pull back from such a policy there won't be an uptick in the crime rate.

For instance, if there was a police department that was prejudiced against the Amish and were always pulling them over in their little buggies and frisking them for weapons and so forth. Then the community decided to rise up and tell the police to back off from harassing the Amish, there would be no uptick in the Amish crime rate.

So what happened after the success of Black Lives Matter in place like Chicago and Baltimore? The cops curtailed their pro-active policing measures and the crime right skyrocketed. This shows that their motivation was to prevent crimes from occurring in the first place. It was not to harass black people for no reason. Now if the crime rate did not surge, then you could make the case that their pro-active policing measures were racially discriminatory and ineffectual. But that did not happen.

Let's be honest - you couldn't care less about Bmore, St. Louis, or any other black neighborhood. And I know this, because it's black and Latino people, schools, churches, and community groups that work against gun violence in these communities - white people? Nowhere to be found. Lots of them like to finger-wave from afar, though.
Gun violence is a politically correct term used by the Left. People are violent. Guns are an inanimate objects. The Left uses this term to absolve people of responsibility and to give the impression that there is some exogenous factor at work. They want people to think about "gun violence" in the same way people think about tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes and floods. Some areas are more prone to hurricanes and some places are more prone to gun violence. It is a way to remove agency from the people.

p.s. You don't need a Stop the Violence march in Mayberry now do you?

No, they don't. Common mistake - nobody wants to have anything to do with black *republicans*, in large part because grifters like Candace Owens and Rayon & Quartz make them look awful. Most black *conservatives* vote for democrats, since *republicans* have spent decades either ignoring or actively repelling them.
As Candace Owens has stated, Democrats have never cared about black lives, only about black votes. What exactly have black people gained by voting 90% for Democrats for decades?

Meanwhile, this is what the white supremacist you cited in the OP has to say about black people
Steve Sailer coined the term HBD for Human Biodiversity. These are the topics that he is interested in and writes about. He normally posts over 1,000 blog entries per year so he is quite prolific. I don't think he has even written on "white supremacy" which is largely just a pejorative used by people to avoid an honest debate.

p.s. Recently he was wondering if the south Slavs are the most athletic white people.

Yes, I get it. You're ideal America community is an all-white fictional town from a 50+ year-old television show.]
You asked what city do I think represents conservative ideals the best. I answered Provo, Utah. Now there are probably very white towns in places like Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. But you asked for conservative ideals, not liberal ones.

It is possible they were saying these things because they were true at the time. The English and the Irish have had a long, though not always harmonious, history together. If you asked the people of England, from say the 16th to the 19th century, what they thought of the Irish, it would probably be quite derogatory.

Undesired Walrus: "Why, Ron, Mark mentioned this on your very own show!"

Last edited by tanabear; 6th August 2019 at 08:57 PM.
tanabear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 07:58 PM   #154
Baylor
Philosopher

Misfire. He was talking about you!
Not possible, I didn't use racial stereotypes, it was you!

You are the one lacking intellectual curiosity - you get your talking points from Faux News, and you stick with them regardless of the facts and evidence.
Says the person who uses ethnic stereotypes and racial slurs!

Last edited by Baylor; 6th August 2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 6th August 2019, 10:13 PM   #155
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Not possible, I didn't use racial stereotypes, it was you!

Says the person who uses ethnic stereotypes and racial slurs!
Oh dear me...
racism: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
Not even close. Care to try again Old Fruit?

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th August 2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 7th August 2019, 12:57 AM   #156
EHocking
Philosopher

I don't care if anyone gives **** (least of all you and your chums). I was simply responding to someone else's observation.

Now, if you don't like it, there's the door--------------------->* <-----Perth
(FTFY)

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 12:58 AM   #157
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

No. You're acting stupid. Stop it.
Yes, the person who is bringing facts to the table is the person who is "acting stupid", not the person who is deliberately ignoring facts because they contradict their argument. Who needs facts, anyway?
Old 7th August 2019, 01:25 AM   #158
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
(FTFY)

Old 7th August 2019, 02:01 AM   #159
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Seemed to be suggesting that Perth* was a chocolate starfish sort of place.

* - presumably Perth WA because no-one feels that strongly about Perth, Perth and Kinross
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 06:03 AM   #160
Joe Random
Illuminator

Old USENET reference, I believe : http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/afw/#perth

Damn but I miss alt.usenet.kooks ...
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics