IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Elijah Cummings , racism charges , racism issues

Old 13th August 2019, 11:19 AM   #241
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
It should be noted that this complaint is being lodged in a thread that opened by citing an argument from a literal white supremacist.
That's not exactly true - in that I saw arguments cribbed from multiple white supremacists - both Heather Mac Donald (whose arguments tend towards thinly veiled bigotry) and Steve Sailer (who only other white supremacists would accuse of using any sort of veil) make obvious appearances.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 02:21 PM   #242
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It seems we need a group outing. Everyone who hasn't been to Baltimore in the last three years, we need to jump on the bird and meet up in Maryland. Maybe leave the MAGA hats at home, but otherwise it should be a good time.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 07:10 PM   #243
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
No, I would assume he believes in science. Genetics is a real science; Sailer's ******** is not.

You just proved the stupidity of Sailer's analysis: West Africans are the same race as East Africans and South Africans but they all have different genetics, so race doesn't tell him anything at all useful. Yet, Sailer thinks he can lump them all together and deduce things about anyone with black skin. Race is a completely useless concept to biologists. As I said, it completely replaces actual causes and effects with a bogus one.
If genetic differences between populations are real then there could be genetic reasons for why west Africans and east Africans dominate different running events, sprints vs. endurance running. Tibetans might be the same race as the Chinese but they have high altitude adaptions the Chinese don't have.

No, Sailer doesn't believe that race and skin color are necessarily linked. Steve Sailer has defined race as, "A racial group is a partly inbred extended biological family." Black Africans and the Melanesians both have black skin but they aren't the same race.

I was going to recommend reading some history, but that bit at the end gave away the game: You are the product of right-wing propaganda that has been striving since the Civil Rights movement to channel racism into anti-liberalism.
The murder rate doubled between 1964 and 1974. The black illegitimacy went from 25% in 1965 to roughly 75% today. Welfare usage also soared with the Great Society programs. These are facts, not right-wing propaganda. If the current state of the black community was caused by slavery, Jim Crow and discrimination you would expect these stats to come down after the 1960s and the Civil Rights movement, but they did just the opposite. We call this the Legacy of Liberalism.

Yes, the flagrant lack of respect Democratic mayors of certain cities have for law and order is shameful.
I am referring to policy. The Democratic Left favors policies that allow for the break down in law & order which causes the crime rate to soar. None of the events you mentioned caused the murder rate to go up in Chicago by 57% in one year! I believe the top 10 most violent cities in America all have Democratic mayors.

You may not visit Stormfront, but your interests align with those who do.
So guilt by non-association.

Feel free to help Baylor out here. What does his 54% number mean? I'm giving Baylor every opportunity to give a non-racist explanation. If you haven't examined the "logic" of racism, perhaps it's time.
We group by race on lots of things, college admissions, the census, job applications etc... We always hear that "diversity is a strength". We don't group by eye color though. We group dog breeds by the breed, not their hair color. In fact, if we stopped classifying people by race, I'm sure many SJWs would say that is "racist'

The 54% number means that black are responsible for ~54% of the homicides in this country. The higher black crime rate tracks closely with the rise in the illegitimacy rate. These two things exploded in the 1960s and were are still reeling from their effects today. Democrats expect nothing out of blacks except to go on welfare and vote for Democrats. Blacks have been crushed by excuses, not racism.

Undesired Walrus: "Why, Ron, Mark mentioned this on your very own show!"
tanabear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 08:12 PM   #244
carlitos
"más divertido"

So when Democrats voted for Barack Obama as President of the Unites States, they expected him to go on welfare. That checks out.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 09:36 PM   #245
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tanabear View Post
If genetic differences between populations are real then there could be genetic reasons for why west Africans and east Africans dominate different running events, sprints vs. endurance running. Tibetans might be the same race as the Chinese but they have high altitude adaptions the Chinese don't have.

No, Sailer doesn't believe that race and skin color are necessarily linked. Steve Sailer has defined race as, "A racial group is a partly inbred extended biological family." Black Africans and the Melanesians both have black skin but they aren't the same race.
You're admitting that genetic differences between populations is not at all the same thing as differences between races, but you still want to insist that race tells you something? You fail to see how that kind of reasoning can't do anything except lead you astray. But then it gets much worse when you assume without any justification that morality is genetic and therefore stereotypical by race.

The murder rate doubled between 1964 and 1974. The black illegitimacy went from 25% in 1965 to roughly 75% today. Welfare usage also soared with the Great Society programs. These are facts, not right-wing propaganda. If the current state of the black community was caused by slavery, Jim Crow and discrimination you would expect these stats to come down after the 1960s and the Civil Rights movement, but they did just the opposite. We call this the Legacy of Liberalism.

We group by race on lots of things, college admissions, the census, job applications etc... We always hear that "diversity is a strength". We don't group by eye color though. We group dog breeds by the breed, not their hair color. In fact, if we stopped classifying people by race, I'm sure many SJWs would say that is "racist'

The 54% number means that black are responsible for ~54% of the homicides in this country. The higher black crime rate tracks closely with the rise in the illegitimacy rate. These two things exploded in the 1960s and were are still reeling from their effects today. Democrats expect nothing out of blacks except to go on welfare and vote for Democrats. Blacks have been crushed by excuses, not racism.
In short, it appears that you want to group murder and illegitimacy rates by race in order to imply that blacks are inherently immoral and violent, just like you suppose that race tells you something about athletic abilities. Furthermore you assert that blacks have gotten out of control since the '60s because liberals just give them handouts and don't know how to keep them in line. Liberals just make excuses for their bad behavior, and that's what's "crushed" them, not discrimination.

Nah, nothing racist about that!

Sorry, I don't really feel like wasting time digging through that crap in any detail.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 01:56 AM   #246
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

tanabear, you seem to have missed my question - how do you square your belief that Trump believes in law & order with the fact that he has committed perjury?
Old 14th August 2019, 09:12 AM   #247
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I am referring to policy. The Democratic Left favors policies that allow for the break down in law & order which causes the crime rate to soar. None of the events you mentioned caused the murder rate to go up in Chicago by 57% in one year! I believe the top 10 most violent cities in America all have Democratic mayors.
The highlighted is of course something you manufactured (or cribbed from the likes of Steve Sailer) to fit your narrative.

Meanwhile, I've provided actual, concrete examples of prominent and powerful conservatives (read:"white people") - including President Trump - exhibiting flagrant disrespect for the law and order you claim they desire.

Quote:
So guilt by non-association.
It would give most people pause to find out they are in agreement with white supremacists on certain theories regarding race and society.

Last edited by johnny karate; 14th August 2019 at 09:13 AM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 10:04 AM   #248
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Richard Nixon channeled racism into anti-Democrat sentiment behind a veneer of "states rights," but it was Lee Atwater who mastered channeling racism into anti-liberalism by reframing racial issues as economic issues: Liberals want to take your tax money and give it to welfare queens.

As we can see from the responses by tanabear, Baylor, and mgidm86, racial stereotyping is so baked into their beliefs that they can't even see it, much less question it. "54% of murders are committed by blacks" has such an obvious meaning to them, they don't think it's even necessary to say what that meaning is.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 14th August 2019 at 10:10 AM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 05:31 PM   #249
Baylor
Philosopher

As we can see from the responses by tanabear, Baylor, and mgidm86, racial stereotyping is so baked into their beliefs that they can't even see it, much less question it. "54% of murders are committed by blacks" has such an obvious meaning to them, they don't think it's even necessary to say what that meaning is.
As we can see from the responses by wayren and Safe-Keeper, racial stereotyping is so baked into their beliefs that they can't even see it, much less question it. "Also the majority of murders in the US are committed by white people," "Why are whites so overrepresented with re. to school shootings and spree killings?" has such an obvious meaning to them, they don't think it's even necessary to say what that meaning is.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 12:01 AM   #250
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
As we can see from the responses by wayren and Safe-Keeper, racial stereotyping is so baked into their beliefs that they can't even see it, much less question it. "Also the majority of murders in the US are committed by white people," "Why are whites so overrepresented with re. to school shootings and spree killings?" has such an obvious meaning to them, they don't think it's even necessary to say what that meaning is.
But where's that argument you were bragging about?
Old 15th August 2019, 04:40 AM   #251
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
No, he's got y'all. Not that it was an elaborate trap, just real talk.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 08:44 AM   #252
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
No, he's got y'all. Not that it was an elaborate trap, just real talk.
Apparently I'm racist against white people. I guess.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 09:31 AM   #253
johnny karate

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Well, I know I'm not. Some of my best friends are white.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 09:54 AM   #254
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

I often point out to my white friend that he's one of the good ones. I don't allow him to use the restroom at my house, though. He's still white, after all.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 10:14 AM   #255
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

I'm racist against everybody. I treat all people with equal disdain.
Old 15th August 2019, 10:41 AM   #256
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I'm racist against Formula 1.
Old 15th August 2019, 11:10 AM   #257
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I’m racist against short people.

Which is pretty much everyone.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 03:39 PM   #258
Mumbles
Philosopher

I know of a white guy I'd assign to some role or other in my cabinet. Also, he's jewish, so we've got that covered.

Honestly, Dolt 45 does not care about the hood in West B'more, and neither do anyone yammering about it in this thread. It's a nice, self-deluding talking point for them, and nothing more than that. They sound like Tucker Carlson blathering about how white supremacism isn't a problem, after spending years espousing white supremacism. They offer no help, everyone knows it, end of show.

(can you just imagine Obama walking up to a podium to announce anything, surrounded by black men in business gear?)
Old 15th August 2019, 05:22 PM   #259
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Rate political parties based on the U.S. murder rate? It's nonsensical -- like bad bar room chat -- but consider this, from an article published in 1991 the year before Bill Clinton was elected:
Quote:
In 1989 the murder rate was higher than it had been from 1983 to 1988, lower than it had been from 1972 to 1982, and higher than it had been from 1950 to 1972. Link
The number of murders declined in the early 1980s (though not by very much) then began rising in 1986. The years between 1989 and 1992 are probably the highest ever recorded, averaging over 23,000 murders a year, and that's after twelve years of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. Would I blame Reagan and Bush for this? No I wouldn't. The murder rate began declining in 1994 and, by the time Bill Clinton left office in 2000, murders had fallen 40%. Would I credit Bill Clinton with accomplishing that? No I wouldn't.

Since 1961, the nine years in which the New York Yankees have won World Championships have all been years in which a Democrat was in the White House. Would I credit Kennedy, Carter, Clinton and Obama for the Yanks winning it all? Unnnhhh...lemme think about it. I'll get back to you!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 06:12 PM   #260
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
So when Democrats voted for Barack Obama as President of the Unites States, they expected him to go on welfare. That checks out.
Democratic politicians expect black voters to go on welfare and vote for Democratic politicians. To expect anything more would be racist.

You're admitting that genetic differences between populations is not at all the same thing as differences between races, but you still want to insist that race tells you something? You fail to see how that kind of reasoning can't do anything except lead you astray. But then it gets much worse when you assume without any justification that morality is genetic and therefore stereotypical by race.
There are genetic differences between ethnic groups and races. Race does tell you something. If you can tell someone's race by looking at their genome it has a biological reality.

I was talking about running events. I didn't say anything about morality.

In short, it appears that you want to group murder and illegitimacy rates by race in order to imply that blacks are inherently immoral and violent, just like you suppose that race tells you something about athletic abilities.
Everyone groups by race. I pulled my data from government reports. They are the ones grouping by race. I am just reporting the data.

Furthermore you assert that blacks have gotten out of control since the '60s because liberals just give them handouts and don't know how to keep them in line. Liberals just make excuses for their bad behavior, and that's what's "crushed" them, not discrimination.
This reality is well documented. In fact, it is pointed out most frequently by black conservatives; Thomas Sowell, Larry Elder, Candace Owens. Walter Williams, Burgess Owens etc...

"The employment rate of black men in the United States fell precipitously from 89.6 percent in 1960 to 76.1 percent in 2000… The decline in labor market participation among black men was accompanied by a rapid increase in the number of black men in correctional institutions. As recently as 1980, only 0.8 percent of black men … were incarcerated. By 2000, 9.6 percent of black men …were incarcerated."
Immigration and African-American Employment Opportunities

So the employment rate for black men declined after the Civil Rights movement and the incarceration rate increased markedly. The triumph of Liberalism explains these trends, not "racism".

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
tanabear, you seem to have missed my question - how do you square your belief that Trump believes in law & order with the fact that he has committed perjury?
I said that law and order are a big issue for Republican voters. The murder rate doubled in 10 years between 1964 and 1974. The murder rate went up between 20-25 percent between 2014 and 2016. Many Trump voters voted on this issue. Bill Clinton might have committed "perjury" but he was quite tough on crime and the crime rate collapsed in the 90s.

The highlighted is of course something you manufactured (or cribbed from the likes of Steve Sailer) to fit your narrative.

Meanwhile, I've provided actual, concrete examples of prominent and powerful conservatives (read:"white people") - including President Trump - exhibiting flagrant disrespect for the law and order you claim they desire.
"The Democratic Left favors policies that allow for the break down in law & order which causes the crime rate to soar."

No, I did not manufacture this. What happened in Chicago in 2016?

In 2016, officers made 85,493 arrest, a 24 percent decline from 2015's 112,996 and far below the 152,740 made in 2011...The biggest came between 2015 and 2016 in the aftermath of the Laquan McDonald shooting...

I can find many Democratic politicians who broke the law as well. I can find many Democratic voters who broke the law. This is not what I am referring to. I am talking about policies that cause the crimes rates to soar.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Honestly, Dolt 45 does not care about the hood in West B'more, and neither do anyone yammering about it in this thread. It's a nice, self-deluding talking point for them, and nothing more than that.
Okay, but there are no big bad wolf Republicans elected to any high office in the city of Baltimore. As the saying goes, "If you break it, you own it." The Democrats broke Baltimore so they own it, not the Republicans.

tanabear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 12:56 AM   #261
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I said that law and order are a big issue for Republican voters.
Actually what you said was that what is termed "white supremacy" is "really just whites who believe in law and order". I specifically asked you if you included Trump amongst the people who believe in law & order, and you replied that "most people believe in law and order except maybe for a few Democratic mayors of certain cities".

I took that as an affirmative, but if by it you meant that you don't think Trump believes in law & order, please say so, clearly and unequivocally. It's a yes/no question that can be answered with one word - "do you think Trump believes in law & order?"

And if the answer is "yes", then can you please explain how you square that belief with the fact that Trump has committed perjury?
Old 16th August 2019, 05:24 AM   #262
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I think tanabear inadvertently made a point he probably didn't mean to make in two different posts.
...The loss of blue-collar jobs was a gradual process.
..."The employment rate of black men in the United States fell precipitously from 89.6 percent in 1960 to 76.1 percent in 2000…...
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 07:48 AM   #263
johnny karate

The Democratic Left favors policies that allow for the break down in law & order which causes the crime rate to soar."

No, I did not manufacture this. What happened in Chicago in 2016?

In 2016, officers made 85,493 arrest, a 24 percent decline from 2015's 112,996 and far below the 152,740 made in 2011...The biggest came between 2015 and 2016 in the aftermath of the Laquan McDonald shooting...

I can find many Democratic politicians who broke the law as well. I can find many Democratic voters who broke the law. This is not what I am referring to. I am talking about policies that cause the crimes rates to soar.
The only thing missing from your crackerjack analysis is pointing out the specific Democratic policies that allegedly lead to a break down in law and order and, of course, evidence of causation.

Meanwhile, you and these other “white people” who desire law and order so much offer continued support to a president who openly celebrates criminal violence.

Last edited by johnny karate; 16th August 2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 16th August 2019, 07:56 AM   #264
johnny karate

I said that law and order are a big issue for Republican voters.
Republican voters, demonstrating what a big issue law and order is for them.
Old 16th August 2019, 02:14 PM   #265
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

...In 2016, officers made 85,493 arrests, a 24 percent decline from 2015's 112,996 and far below the 152,740 made in 2011...The biggest came between 2015 and 2016 in the aftermath of the Laquan McDonald shooting...
Arrests fell after the Laquan McDonald shooting? Why, because an officer was convicted of second degree murder in the shooting? What does that have to do with 'liberal policy?' Making it illegal for police officers to murder people is 'liberal policy?' (The officers claimed at first that Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke was forced to shoot McDonald only after McDonald lunged at officers with a knife. Police video showed a different scenario.) [see below]

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Murders in Chicago have now declined for two years in a row. Below is a quote from an Associate Press news story.
Quote:
Police in Chicago, the nation’s third largest city, report that 561 homicides were committed between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2018. That compares to 660 homicides in 2017 and more than 770 in 2016, which marked a 19-year high that put a national spotlight on Chicago’s persistently high rates of gun violence. Chicago police credit the decreases in part to the addition of more than 1,000 new officers in recent years. Police also cite the creation of high-tech nerve centers in 20 out of 22 police districts, where officers rely on gunshot-detection technology and predictive analytics that help quickly get police to areas where violence is most likely to erupt.

“Are we where we want to be? Of course not,” Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson told the Chicago Tribune in a recent interview. But he added: “I do think we are taking steps in the right direction.” Link
Old 17th August 2019, 09:30 AM   #266
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Rate political parties based on the U.S. murder rate? It's nonsensical -- like bad bar room chat -- but consider this, from an article published in 1991 the year before Bill Clinton was elected:

The number of murders declined in the early 1980s (though not by very much) then began rising in 1986. The years between 1989 and 1992 are probably the highest ever recorded, averaging over 23,000 murders a year, and that's after twelve years of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. Would I blame Reagan and Bush for this? No I wouldn't. The murder rate began declining in 1994 and, by the time Bill Clinton left office in 2000, murders had fallen 40%. Would I credit Bill Clinton with accomplishing that? No I wouldn't.
The high murder rate in the early 80s can be attributed the powder cocaine wars and the murder peak in the early 90s to the crack cocaine wars. By the early 90s the people were sick to death of all the crimes, murder and mayhem going in in our cities and the "lock them up and throw away the key" mentality predominated. Our prison population soared in the 90s and the crime rate crashed.

The murder rate is fat-tailed, in that a very small number of places account for the vast majority of the homicides. I believe 1% of counties account for 37% of all murders and 2% of counties account for slightly over half of all murders. In fact, you can probably break it down even finer to the street level. If you look at these cities where the murder rate is high you will almost invariably find Democratic rule.

I think tanabear inadvertently made a point he probably didn't mean to make in two different posts.
The decline in blue-collar jobs does not mean a decline in the total number of jobs available. Manufacturing jobs have been declining relative to service sector jobs since at least the end of World War II, really before. However, these trends in crime and joblessness really took off in the 1960s. The decline in the labor force participation rate of black men has been downward since the 1960s reaching an all-time low under Obama at around 65%.

There is a big factor at work here that the Left doesn't like to talk about it because it is "racist", even though it would be beneficial to blacks.

The only thing missing from your crackerjack analysis is pointing out the specific Democratic policies that allegedly lead to a break down in law and order and, of course, evidence of causation.
It was the decline of 'stop and frisk' and arrests in Chicago that is largely responsible for the 57% increase in the murder rate in one year. This was a policy promoted by the ACLU(the anti-Christian Liberal Union).

Arrests fell after the Laquan McDonald shooting? Why, because an officer was convicted of second degree murder in the shooting? What does that have to do with 'liberal policy?' Making it illegal for police officers to murder people is 'liberal policy?' (The officers claimed at first that Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke was forced to shoot McDonald only after McDonald lunged at officers with a knife. Police video showed a different scenario.) [see below]

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Murders in Chicago have now declined for two years in a row. Below is a quote from an Associate Press news story.
"This article provides empirical evidence that the reduction in stop and frisks by the Chicago Police Department beginning around December 2015 was responsible for the homicide spike that started immediately thereafter. The sharp decline in the number of stop and frisks is a strong candidate for the causal factor, particularly since the timing of the homicide spike so perfectly coincides with the spike. Regression analysis of the homicide spike and related shooting crimes identifies the stop and frisk variable as the likely cause. The results are highly statistically significant and robust over a large number of alternative specifications."

Yes, the murder rate is down because Trump doesn't give lip service to Black Lives Matter like Obama and company did. But the rate is still higher than it was in 2015.

Old 17th August 2019, 10:31 AM   #267
johnny karate

It was the decline of 'stop and frisk' and arrests in Chicago that is largely responsible for the 57% increase in the murder rate in one year. This was a policy promoted by the ACLU(the anti-Christian Liberal Union).
You cited a deeply flawed study that established correlation not causation.

Try again.

Meanwhile, here’s a bunch of people that you claim respect law and order celebrating when President Trump condones violent assault.
Old 17th August 2019, 10:58 AM   #268
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I think s/he's decided that defending that point is a lost cause, and is now just going to pretend it never existed in the first place.
Old 17th August 2019, 11:33 AM   #269
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The high murder rate in the early 80s can be attributed the powder cocaine wars and the murder peak in the early 90s to the crack cocaine wars. By the early 90s the people were sick to death of all the crimes, murder and mayhem going in in our cities and the "lock them up and throw away the key" mentality predominated. Our prison population soared in the 90s and the crime rate crashed.
The harsher laws for crack were introduced in 1986, not in the 1990s. The introduction of these laws under the Reagan administration has been cited by some as being a cause of the increased crime amongst crack users, as it demonised the users and made them unemployable, forcing them to turn to other ways of making money. The increase in the murder rate followed the introduction of the laws, and the negative press coverage of what was then termed an "epidemic".

So you've actually got it backwards - the harsher punishments came before the increase in crime. Rather than being a response to the increase in crime, they were a driver of it.

You're also wrong about the prison population. In 1980 the number of people in state and federal prison was around 300,000. In 1990 it was around 800,000. In 2000 it was around 1,300,000. The increase in the number of prisoners did not increase in the 90s.
Old 17th August 2019, 02:05 PM   #270
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The spike in murders in the 1960s was caused by 'liberal policies;' the spike in murders in the 1980s was caused by drugs; the spike in murders in the 2010s was caused by the ACLU? (The anti-Christian Liberal Union? Sounds like someone is going full-blown anti-Semitic!)

Other sources see other causes:
Quote:
The root source of violence [in Chicago], however, lies in the nexus of desperation and race. Chicago’s homicide rates are more similar to rust belt cities like Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, and Milwaukee than to global cities like New York and Los Angeles. African-Americans came to the industrial Midwest to find good jobs, but deindustrialization in the 1960s and 1970s coincided with sharp rises in homicide rates. Indeed, the desperation of young men, as a United Nations report has found, is correlated with homicide the world over. Link
Percentage of births out-of-wedlock is often cited to disparage black Americans. 'Liberal policies' get the blame. But that also turns out to be a worldwide phenomenon and Europe probably has a higher rate of out-of-wedlock births than do African nations. France's is over 50%; Nigeria's is 6%. Sociologists say the driving factors are cultural and social. Single-mom families no longer bear the same stigma as they did fifty years ago.

Click to enlarge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Out-of-wedlock births 1964-2014 Yale study.jpg (51.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 17th August 2019, 04:52 PM   #271
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

].
As an irrelevant side-note, I find it amusing that two guys with the names of Rizzo and Rappaport are citing Philadelphia for its improving crime developments.
Old 18th August 2019, 12:55 PM   #272
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Feel free to help Baylor out here. What does his 54% number mean? I'm giving Baylor every opportunity to give a non-racist explanation. If you haven't examined the "logic" of racism, perhaps it's time.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 01:02 PM   #273
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently, so am I (well, at least in the minds of some racists).

And mine.

Maybe we should make a call to have all the white people in the USA go back to "Childless" Europe where their forebears came from.....

SEND THEM BACK!!! SEND THEM BACK!!!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:31 AM   #274
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Bigot Predictioneering is a variation on the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy.

They've been predicting the downfall of civilization since:

> Banning of Slave Importation
> The Civil War
> The Emancipation Proclamation
> The Enfranchisement of Women
> Federal Relief and Poverty Assistance in The Depression
> Truman's Desegregation of the Armed Forces
> Brown vs Board of Ed and the Desegregation of the Public Schools
> The Equal Rights Amendment
> Enforcement of Miranda
> Busing
> Free Breakfasts for Needy School Kids
> That Darkie in the White House

Pick a negative development in US Civics and you can peel away one or the other and claim "See? Statistics Don't Lie! The Wall Street Crash Was Caused by Giving Women the Vote!"

Correlation does not equal causation, and promise as they might, not one of "them" married my sister!

Add into that any piece of progressive legislation or whatever huffs up Tucker's blouse this week.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 01:33 PM   #275
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Try again.
The Washington Post is a completely fake news outlet. People that read and believe the Washington Post have what is called a negative understanding of the world. This is an opinion piece by Radley Balko and it says Opinion at the top of the article. The article consists of hand-waving and trying to get people not to look at the most obvious reason the murder rate increased 57% in one year. In fact, he doesn't really have an explanation either. It just comes down to lets not blame liberals and Black Lives Matter. However, if you pull back on proactive policing/racial profiling the murder will increase in high crime areas. This is exactly what happened in Chicago.

I think s/he's decided that defending that point is a lost cause, and is now just going to pretend it never existed in the first place.
Did any of these events cause the murder rate to spike in Baltimore, Chicago or St. Louis? No.

The harsher laws for crack were introduced in 1986, not in the 1990s. The introduction of these laws under the Reagan administration has been cited by some as being a cause of the increased crime amongst crack users, as it demonised the users and made them unemployable, forcing them to turn to other ways of making money. The increase in the murder rate followed the introduction of the laws, and the negative press coverage of what was then termed an "epidemic".

So you've actually got it backwards - the harsher punishments came before the increase in crime. Rather than being a response to the increase in crime, they were a driver of it.
I didn't say that harsher laws were introduced in the 90s. I said our prison population soared in the 1990s.

"The 1990s will end up being the most punishing decade on record in American History. By year end 1999, far more prisoners will have been added to America’s prisons and jails than in any decade in recorded history. The 532,448 prisoners added to America’s institutions during the 1990s is 25% higher than the number of prisoners added during the 1980s, and is nearly 16 times as many as the average number added during the five decades before 1970 in which the incarcerated population increased."

This was a response to the huge growth in the crime rate that broke out in the 1960s which was largely a legacy of Liberalism.

The spike in murders in the 1960s was caused by 'liberal policies;' the spike in murders in the 1980s was caused by drugs; the spike in murders in the 2010s was caused by the ACLU? (The anti-Christian Liberal Union? Sounds like someone is going full-blown anti-Semitic!)
It was all caused by liberals. The rise in the drug culture, gangs, crimes and other forms of social dysfunction all have at their root the same cause, freedom from responsibility.

Percentage of births out-of-wedlock is often cited to disparage black Americans. 'Liberal policies' get the blame. But that also turns out to be a worldwide phenomenon and Europe probably has a higher rate of out-of-wedlock births than do African nations. France's is over 50%; Nigeria's is 6%. Sociologists say the driving factors are cultural and social. Single-mom families no longer bear the same stigma as they did fifty years ago.
Liberalism itself is a worldwide phenomenon. One of the driving factors is welfare. The illegitimacy for blacks was roughly 25% in 1965 today it around 75%. Yes, and single mothers no longer have the same stigma as they once did and this has been a disaster for the lower class in this country. It is another product of the Leftist concept of freedom from responsibility.

Old 24th August 2019, 02:42 PM   #276
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Steve Sailer has defined race as, "A racial group is a partly inbred extended biological family."
Defining "race" by invoking "racial groups" seems circular to me. His statement could just as well refer to humanity as a whole.

We group dog breeds by the breed, not their hair color.
And part of being a breed is color conformation. Such circular statements don't help me follow the logic.

How many races do you think there are, and what are they?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 03:12 PM   #277
johnny karate

The Washington Post is a completely fake news outlet. People that read and believe the Washington Post have what is called a negative understanding of the world. This is an opinion piece by Radley Balko and it says Opinion at the top of the article. The article consists of hand-waving and trying to get people not to look at the most obvious reason the murder rate increased 57% in one year. In fact, he doesn't really have an explanation either. It just comes down to lets not blame liberals and Black Lives Matter. However, if you pull back on proactive policing/racial profiling the murder will increase in high crime areas. This is exactly what happened in Chicago.
But not in several other cities that implemented these same “liberal” policies.

Neither you nor the study you cited can offer an explanation for that.

Last edited by johnny karate; 24th August 2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 24th August 2019, 04:26 PM   #278
Cabbage
Banned

This was a response to the huge growth in the crime rate that broke out in the 1960s which was largely a legacy of Liberalism.

Oh really, now? I can't help but notice a curious lack of support for this claim. What led you to this conclusion? I suggest you educate yourself on the link between leaded gasoline and violent crime; you may learn something (for a change).
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 05:25 PM   #279
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Defining "race" by invoking "racial groups" seems circular to me. His statement could just as well refer to humanity as a whole.

And part of being a breed is color conformation. Such circular statements don't help me follow the logic.

How many races do you think there are, and what are they?
Part of my recent meanderings through Caribbean and South and Central American colonial revolutions recently has run right through some of this issue. Earlier models categorizing those of mixed ethnic backgrounds were stunningly superficial, just a handful of color gradients, really. Later models tracked by documented lineage down to the 1/64th.

Basing on color is nonsense. Even like "dog breeds" (which is just an awful metaphor given the history) because the human equivalent is various other phenotype-derived characteristics. Some variables of the environment unique to where that group comes from make certain features more suitable.

The reason color alone got thrown out pretty quick is the same reason that explodes the whole idea of "races" and how "mixing" works at all. Take some folks of Caucasian descent and some of African descent and they make babies of all kinds, with quite a randomization of what expresses where. Because those of status could marry "down" and have legitimate children, they quickly balked at the prospect of their offspring being designated in a class that would not be able to maintain their holdings once they passed on.

Conformity of appearances into what we now call ethnic groups rather than races is a feature of being a) conditioned to a particular type of terrain, climate, and sustenance, and b) stratified layers of social isolation, increasing over "distance." Physical distance perhaps matters less than in the past, but with physical proximity comes the unfortunate unfamiliarity with perspectives, values, and social cues that can be read as subversiveness and fuel mistrust and suspicion.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 24th August 2019 at 05:29 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 03:54 AM   #280
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Did any of these events cause the murder rate to spike in Baltimore, Chicago or St. Louis? No.
It's an interesting excuse for ignoring the fact that you are completely wrong.

Quote:
I didn't say that harsher laws were introduced in the 90s.
You do know that this is a public forum and people can read, and even quote, your old posts, don't you?

Quote:
Liberalism itself is a worldwide phenomenon.
And yet the social problems that you are attributing to it are not. Why is it, do you think, that the problems caused by liberalism don't manifest everywhere that liberalism exists? Why is it, do you think, that countries that are more liberal than the US aren't worse then the US in this regard?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics