IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Elijah Cummings , racism charges , racism issues

Old 9th September 2019, 03:02 AM   #321
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
By killing other black people?
You think Colonial Americans didn't kill other Colonial Americans in the Revolutionary War? You think Native Americans didn't kill other Native Americans during the Indian Wars?

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 03:42 AM   #322
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You think Colonial Americans didn't kill other Colonial Americans in the Revolutionary War? You think Native Americans didn't kill other Native Americans during the Indian Wars?
Urban crime rates and black-on-black homicides have very little to do with a revolution. You are stretching here.

You are also ignoring what Tanabear is claiming, namely that crime rates go down and clearance rates increase under Democratic leadership. This factual claim is the basis of his argument, such as it is. His evidence is a small handful of cities. Better to find out if it's true or not.

I don't know how to find historical crime rates easily, much less clearance rates. My suspicion is that crime rates in Oklahoma City, say, have increased over the last several decades and those of Boston have decreased, but I can't say with any certainty. Finding a database to select a larger number of cities under consistent Democratic/Republican administration and looking for a trend is more difficult yet.

There is the additional issue that struggling cities may tend to crime problems as well as voting Democrat, so that we're looking at correlation and not causation of course.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 04:31 AM   #323
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Urban crime rates and black-on-black homicides have very little to do with a revolution. You are stretching here.

I'll freely admit I have a lot of ignorance on this topic, but I did want to say this at least seems reasonable to me: Disenfranchised black youths that don't see strong opportunities for education or employment often turn to gangs (and violence). Or at least that's my impression. That's absolutely connected with discrimination, just like smartcooky said.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 08:24 AM   #324
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I'll freely admit I have a lot of ignorance on this topic, but I did want to say this at least seems reasonable to me: Disenfranchised black youths that don't see strong opportunities for education or employment often turn to gangs (and violence). Or at least that's my impression. That's absolutely connected with discrimination, just like smartcooky said.
I'd buy that disenfranchisement is tied to crime. Desperation and crime go hand-in-hand.

But comparing urban crime to the Indian Wars and the American Revolution was a stretch, in my opinion. It also didn't address the central claim Tanabear advanced, namely that Democrat-run cities go straight to hell.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 08:37 AM   #325
autumn1971
Illuminator

You are also ignoring what Tanabear is claiming, namely that crime rates go down and clearance rates increase under Democratic leadership. This factual claim is the basis of his argument, such as it is. His evidence is a small handful of cities. Better to find out if it's true or not.

I don't know how to find historical crime rates easily, much less clearance rates. My suspicion is that crime rates in Oklahoma City, say, have increased over the last several decades and those of Boston have decreased, but I can't say with any certainty. Finding a database to select a larger number of cities under consistent Democratic/Republican administration and looking for a trend is more difficult yet.

There is the additional issue that struggling cities may tend to crime problems as well as voting Democrat, so that we're looking at correlation and not causation of course.
You have introduced at least three levels of nuance that our friendly white-nationalist are incapable of comprehending; thus you are not being fair.

Try cherry-picking no more than three data points and drawing a curvy line through them.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 01:05 PM   #326
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The comment merely addressed Baylor's preposterous question.

You are also ignoring what Tanabear is claiming, namely that crime rates go down and clearance rates increase under Democratic leadership.

I'm sure you meant the other way around, Republican not Democrat

Never mind

The 10 Safest Cities with the lowest crime rates in the USA with their Mayor's name and his politics

1. Virginia Beach VA - Bobby Dyer (R)
2. Honolulu HI - Kirk Caldwell (D)
3. Lexington KY - Linda Gorton (R)
4. Anaheim CA - Harry Sidhu (R)
5. San Diego CA - Kevin Faulconer (R)
6. El Paso TX - Dee Margo (R)
7. San José CA - Sam Liccardo (D)
8. Austin TX - Steve Adler (D)
9. Mesa AZ - John Giles (R)
10. Tampa FL - Jane Castor (D)

The facts don't bear out tanabear's claim. Four of the ten safest cities in the USA have a Democrat mayor - Honolulu, San José, Austin and Tampa. How come they haven't "gone straight to hell"?

The reality is that there is no correlation between the politics of a city mayor and that city's crime rate. The more cities you add to list like this, the more the politics of their mayors evens out.

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th September 2019 at 02:37 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 01:19 PM   #327
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Never mind

The 10 Safest Cities with the lowest crime rates in the USA with their Mayor's name and his politics

7. San Hose CA - Sam Liccardo (D)

The facts don't bear out tanabear's claim. Four of the ten safest cities in the USA have a Democrat mayor - Honolulu, San Hose, Austin and Tampa. How come they haven't "gone straight to hell"?

The reality is that there is no correlation between the politics of a city mayor and that city's crime rate. The more cities you add to list like this, the more the politics of their mayors evens out.
I'm just distracted by the fact that you misspelled San Jose the same way twice.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 02:11 PM   #328
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
This could possibly be the most racist proposal in the whole thread. I hope that you are kidding.
No he is not, I am hearing this 'Let's limit the franchise to those who can use it intelligently" crap quite a bit on the internet.

The problem, is ,of course, who decides who is intelligent and who is not? You know that for many people it would amount to 'Let's limit the franchise to people who agree with me".

It's a lot like HG Wells in his later years advocated turning all political and economic power over to a "sceintifiaclly trained" elite who would produce Utopia. Wells, managed to forget about how power corrupts, and and any group in complete power, "scientifically trained" or not, will end up ruling in it's own best interest, screw everybody else. Orwell, who in many ways admired HG Wells as a writer, called him out on this.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 02:19 PM   #329
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I'm just distracted by the fact that you misspelled San Jose the same way twice.
Yeah, guy needs to know that in Spanish the letter J is pronounced H, and that is retained in the way many American cities with Spanish names are pronounced.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 02:33 PM   #330
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Fixed.

Anyway, It was spelt like that on the van. I'm very observant. I never seen so many bleedin' aerials!

Old 9th September 2019, 02:34 PM   #331
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Never mind

7. San Hose CA - Sam Liccardo (D)

The facts don't bear out tanabear's claim. Four of the ten safest cities in the USA have a Democrat mayor - Honolulu, San Hose, Austin and Tampa. How come they haven't "gone straight to hell"?

In addition to all that, I wonder how many of those (R) mayors would qualify as RINOs in their books. Let's see.

• Faulconer supports a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants who live in the United States.
  • Faulconer supports same-sex marriage
  • In 2014, Mayor Faulconer released San Diego's first Climate Action Plan. The plan outlined Faulconer's proposed strategy for the city to meet State goals for the city to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
  • Mayor Faulconer has described himself as pro-choice on the issue of abortion.

Oh dear.... well, he did fight a rise of the minimum wage
Old 9th September 2019, 02:47 PM   #332
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
In addition to all that, I wonder how many of those (R) mayors would qualify as RINOs in their books. Let's see.

• Faulconer supports a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants who live in the United States.
  • Faulconer supports same-sex marriage
  • In 2014, Mayor Faulconer released San Diego's first Climate Action Plan. The plan outlined Faulconer's proposed strategy for the city to meet State goals for the city to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
  • Mayor Faulconer has described himself as pro-choice on the issue of abortion.

Oh dear.... well, he did fight a rise of the minimum wage

So, a Republican in name, but a Democrat in most of the ways that count.

Bloody interesting!

Old 9th September 2019, 04:41 PM   #333
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

On the other fronts,

Bobby Dyer has been mayor for less than a year.

Linda Gorton, same thing. Actually beat a police chief to get the job

Harry Sidhu - couldn't really find much. Most of what I found (I admit this was not a deep dive) was the not atypical fighting wasteful spending and supporting small biz talk

Dee Margo - Actually disputed Trump's claim that his wall reduced crime in El Paso, also " He opined that undocumented workers who are working and paying taxes and do not have criminal records should be offered green cards, and that those who have served in the U.S. military or arrived as children (DACA) should be granted citizenship"

John Giles - Probably one of the most conservative mayors on this list. But famous for hot-mike comments calling Trump an idiot. Standard GOP reply was to wish death by cancer for him.
Old 9th September 2019, 06:03 PM   #334
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, thanks. (I actually switched the decrease and increase, but similar effect.)

Last edited by phiwum; 9th September 2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 9th September 2019, 07:29 PM   #335
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
No he is not, I am hearing this 'Let's limit the franchise to those who can use it intelligently" crap quite a bit on the internet.

The problem, is ,of course, who decides who is intelligent and who is not? You know that for many people it would amount to 'Let's limit the franchise to people who agree with me".

It's a lot like HG Wells in his later years advocated turning all political and economic power over to a "sceintifiaclly trained" elite who would produce Utopia. Wells, managed to forget about how power corrupts, and and any group in complete power, "scientifically trained" or not, will end up ruling in it's own best interest, screw everybody else. Orwell, who in many ways admired HG Wells as a writer, called him out on this.
Yeah, I had a similar impulse around 16 or 17. Then I came to understand all that would happen is that real science would be (is being? has been?) swept aside and replaced with sham studies or just outright lies.

This will be the case for any system proposed until we get rid of whatever brain disease it is that makes people feel the need to hoard enough wealth to guarantee umpteen generations of their family will never want for anything in life while expressing dismay at how others live in squalor and destitution.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 11:48 PM   #336
Lurch
Master Poster

By killing other black people?
When they are the people to hand...

Just because darker folk are oppressed by paler folk doesn't necessarily mean their first response is to band together and bus on over to the other side of town to go a huntin'. When you're miserable you tend to lash out against what's immediate.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 12:57 AM   #337
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post

Just because darker folk are oppressed by paler folk doesn't necessarily mean their first response is to band together and bus on over to the other side of town to go a huntin'. When you're miserable you tend to lash out against what's immediate.

THIS

Its what our forum's resident privileged whites have no concept of. When people in a very low decile, low socio-economic demographic become desperate to be able to live their lives, it becomes a dog-eat-dog situation. You get a lowering of the trigger level at which people in the community are prepared to resort to criminal behaviour in order to survive and feed their families - increased property crime, increased violent crime. If there is any correlation in the politics of city administrators, it is a result of the desperation not a cause of it.

It is no fluke that the safest cities are the ones whose occupants are predominantly more affluent, while the more dangerous cities are occupied by the more financially destitute.

https://www.safewise.com/blog/safest-metro-cities/

Old 10th September 2019, 01:09 PM   #338
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Linda Gorton, same thing. Actually beat a police chief to get the job
I would vote for anyone who could get away with beating a police chief without catching a case of acute lead poisoning. That's dark magic in this day and age.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 05:47 PM   #339
Baylor
Philosopher

A simple, "I am unable to provide a reasonable counter-argument," would have been better than the mess quoted above.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 06:21 PM   #340
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

A simple, "I am unable to provide a reasonable counter-argument," would have been better than the mess quoted above.
But he did make a counter argument - you just don't have the chops to understand it.

Old 10th September 2019, 07:07 PM   #341
Baylor
Philosopher

But he did make a counter argument - you just don't have the chops to understand it.
"blacks are forever being mistreated by whites and that is the cause of black criminality" I've only heard this thousands of times - mostly by daft white nationalist Europeans like Lurch. Debunked it hundreds of times. These people are content to live in their own fantasy land. Let them. I'm just happy there were no holocaust references.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 07:56 PM   #342
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

"blacks are forever being mistreated by whites and that is the cause of black criminality" I've only heard this thousands of times - mostly by daft white nationalist Europeans like Lurch. Debunked it hundreds of times. These people are content to live in their own fantasy land. Let them. I'm just happy there were no holocaust references.
Nice way to prove the point that you don't understand Lurch's counter-argument, while creating a straw-man. Did they teach you these methods in sophistry class?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 08:53 PM   #343
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Nice way to prove the point that you don't understand Lurch's counter-argument, while creating a straw-man. Did they teach you these methods in sophistry class?
Indeed it was. He must have one helluva a discount deal with the straw merchants!

The level of civilisation of a country is judged by how that country treats children, the elderly; the sick, the poor and the handicapped. The United States of America fails at every level.

Old 10th September 2019, 11:15 PM   #344
Baylor
Philosopher

Lurch is literally saying blacks are violent, impulsive and can't control themselves.
Old 10th September 2019, 11:49 PM   #345
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Lurch is literally saying blacks are violent, impulsive and can't control themselves.
In no way did he even imply it.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 09:18 AM   #346
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

In point of fact, that's actually what the white supremacist whose work continues to be referenced in this thread literally said.

The difference here being that I used the word "literally" correctly.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:13 PM   #347
Baylor
Philosopher

In no way did he even imply it.
Lurch unequivocally accused blacks of "lashing out" by committing black and black homicides. This plays to the racist stereotypes that blacks are violent and impulsive. Contrarily Lurch calls white people voting for Trump "lashing out." He has one set of attitudes and expectations for whites, and a completely different set for blacks that are based on old and racist stereotypes.
Old 12th September 2019, 12:09 AM   #348
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Lurch unequivocally accused blacks of "lashing out" by committing black and black homicides. This plays to the racist stereotypes that blacks are violent and impulsive. Contrarily Lurch calls white people voting for Trump "lashing out." He has one set of attitudes and expectations for whites, and a completely different set for blacks that are based on old and racist stereotypes.
No, he did not. But keep on burning that straw.
Old 12th September 2019, 06:53 AM   #349
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Oh dear, you still don't get it do you?

The type of crime and violence you are talking about (by a specific demographic) is a RESULT of the way they are treated. The history of the USA is replete with examples of this, going right back to how the British treated Colonial Americans, how white settlers treated Native Americans, how Southern white farmers treated blacks.

If you oppress, stigmatize and discriminate against a group of people hard enough and for long enough, sooner or later they are going to get pissed off with the way they are being treated, and they will rise up and do something about it.
What a pantload. People who feel that society doesn't treat them fairly generally don't feel obliged to follow its rules. You are the one who seems to think that only applies to blacks.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 08:33 AM   #350
johnny karate

When you don't seem bothered by the fact that the OP references the work of a known white supremacist who makes unambiguously racist statements, do you expect anyone to take your clumsy allegations seriously?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 01:36 AM   #351
Mumbles
Philosopher

I know what you're saying, but...there's a bit more to it than that. There's a need to find some source of income for the family as well, for example (these guys tend to be more cautious about their use of violence, but *will* get involved in crime if there's no opportunity). There's plain old PTSD (many young black men have the same symptoms as people who have been in active war zones - this goes far beyond "well, they need to know we care"). There's also undiagnosed depression, which often manifests as anger in men rather than sadness.

And of course, some people are just dicks.

Last edited by Mumbles; 15th September 2019 at 01:38 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 01:51 AM   #352
Lurch
Master Poster

Reverse the races. In a destitute white community where blacks are few in number, you'll find that white on white crime tends to be more rampant. Just ask cops on the beat in such situations. Would one infer from this that whites are more prone to violence in general?

It's largely situational in the first place, and the victims tend to represent the cross section of the populace. Unless we're discussing targeted, race-based attacks, but that's another matter entirely.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 06:08 AM   #353
Parsman
Muse

Fixed.

Anyway, It was spelt like that on the van. I'm very observant. I never seen so many bleedin' aerials!
Your cat must be so happy

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 09:46 AM   #354
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
In what I'm sure is a total coincidence, white supremacist Steve Sailer recently posted an article about this same topic on the The Unz Review, an "alternative" media website run by a holocaust denier.
It is good to see that you are expanding your reading horizons.

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
What is your solution, assuming any of this may be true?
Crime was out of control in New York City when Rudy Giuliani was elected in 1993. Giuliani and Bloomberg brought the number of murders down from over 2,000 to less than 400 a year. This is a remarkable turnaround. Other cities should figure out what they did and learn from it. I believe the clearance for murder in NYC is around 75%. That is better than the national average and certainly better than many big cities.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
White supremacists don't have any solutions, because they're the cause of the problems.

Step one would be for them to treat people equally regardless of skin color - but they can't do that.
There are no "white supremacists" elected to any high office in any of these cities. There are not even any big bad wolf Republicans elected to any high office. The Left needs a boogeyman and "white supremacists" fit the bill for now.

Murder clearance rates are a problem throughout the US. Cherry picking rates on individual cities is pure projection.
Yes, in the first part of my post I discussed the downward nation-wide trend in the murder clearance rate. It was relatively high in the 1960s then declined over the next few decades. But I also listed the cities where it is egregiously bad.

I'm not arguing that crime rates will always increase under Democratic leadership, only a certain kind. I refer to them as the "Democratic Left" to distinguish them from run-of-the-mill Democrats. President Clinton was a Democrat but he was fairly tough on crime and crime rates came down quite considerably while he was President. Most Democratic mayors are not on the hard-boiled Left.

THIS

Its what our forum's resident privileged whites have no concept of. When people in a very low decile, low socio-economic demographic become desperate to be able to live their lives, it becomes a dog-eat-dog situation. You get a lowering of the trigger level at which people in the community are prepared to resort to criminal behaviour in order to survive and feed their families - increased property crime, increased violent crime. If there is any correlation in the politics of city administrators, it is a result of the desperation not a cause of it.

It is no fluke that the safest cities are the ones whose occupants are predominantly more affluent, while the more dangerous cities are occupied by the more financially destitute.
If the black crime rate is higher because blacks are more likely to be disenfranchised, oppressed, harassed etc. then these things seem to increase when blacks have more political power and representation. How are blacks disenfranchised and oppressed in cities where they have almost absolute control, places like Detroit or Baltimore?

As well, the murder rate really took off in the 1960s. This was the era of civil rights, integration and the breaking down of barriers. Why did the crime rate surge after the civil rights era and not before it?

Thomas Sowell wrote,

"But the hard fact is that the murder rate in the country as a whole was going down during those very decades when social problems in the slums were supposedly being neglected. Homicide rates among black males went down by 18 percent in the 1940s and by 22 percent in the 1950s. It was in the 1960s, when the ideas of Chief Justice Warren and others triumphed, that this long decline in homicide rates among black males reversed and skyrocketed by 89 percent, wiping out all the progress of the previous 20 years."

The higher black crime rate has nothing to do with the legacy of slavery or Jim Crow and everything to do with the legacy of liberalism.

Undesired Walrus: "Why, Ron, Mark mentioned this on your very own show!"
tanabear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 10:54 AM   #355
johnny karate

Originally Posted by tanabear View Post
It is good to see that you are expanding your reading horizons.
Yes, maybe for the sake of expediency, you should just directly cite the work of the white supremacist from whom you’re cribbing.
Old 15th September 2019, 01:40 PM   #356
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Yes, maybe for the sake of expediency, you should just directly cite the work of the white supremacist from whom you’re cribbing.
Thomas Sowell wrote,
Huh. I didn't know Thomas Sowell was a white supremacist. I guess they let anyone become one nowdays.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 03:16 PM   #357
Mumbles
Philosopher

There are no "white supremacists" elected to any high office in any of these cities. There are not even any big bad wolf Republicans elected to any high office. The Left needs a boogeyman and "white supremacists" fit the bill for now.
There's a white supremacist in the highest office in the US, and many in control of state governments, as of today. Do you know how much funding is set by state and federal governments?

Do you understand anything about how the US operates?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 05:10 PM   #358
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Huh. I didn't know Thomas Sowell was a white supremacist. I guess they let anyone become one nowdays.
I don’t recall claiming that Thomas Sowell is a white supremacist.

But the guy tanabear quoted in the OP certainly is.

Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12

Last edited by kmortis; 26th September 2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 15th September 2019, 08:04 PM   #359
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife
Disingenuous as ever.

Like Australia, Scandinavia and any number of "developed" countries which have sparse populations (single-digit, maybe double-digits of millions), NZ and its cities are in no way comparable to continental Europe, the US and their metropolises. Which you well know, unless you're going to lie about it (liberals and lying).

'Quality of life' and per-capita wealth means the former can, at least for now, easily afford the indulgence of profligate leftist-liberal 'public spending' with no danger of creating urban hellholes like the ones it's created in the US.
Surprise, surprise. Another variation on the "America is special - it won't work there" excuse.

Old 15th September 2019, 08:05 PM   #360
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
Your cat must be so happy

oh, you mean Eric? Yes, yes he is!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics