IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ahmaud Arbery , Georgia incidents , Gregory McMichael , prosecutorial misconduct , racism charges , racism incidents , shooting incidents , Travis McMichael , William Bryan

Closed Thread
Old 7th May 2020, 09:14 PM   #361
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
So you're a witness to the victim's "crimes" and will testify that you knew his state of mind?
Or maybe he was out for a jog?
Quote:
"Waycross District Attorney George Barnhill wrote that there is video of Arbery "burglarizing a home immediately preceding the chase and confrontation""
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Ahmaud_Arbery
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:15 PM   #362
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
In neither case were the deceased "defending themselves against an armed assailant"

Both Trayvon and Ahmaud knew exactly what their targets were: snitches. Not threats. Snitches. The attacks in both cases were retaliation for trying to get them busted.
Busted for what? You realize being black isn't actually a crime, right?
Old 7th May 2020, 09:17 PM   #363
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Let's be clear. This was not self-defence. The two white guys actively hunted the man. They decided that he had been doing something wrong, they decided to take action, and they decided that he deserved to die.

Fortunately for them, they are now able to avail themselves of the criminal justice system - something they denied to their victim.
What facts/evidence have convinced you that their story isn't true?

Their claim is that they loaded up to go confront this guy and try to buy time in doing so for the police to arrive and question him / arrest him - and that he then reacted in an unexpectedly rapid and violent way which necessitated a self-defense shooting.

What's disproving that in your mind? The video supports it. The lack of pre-hysteria charges supports it.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:18 PM   #364
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
"Waycross District Attorney George Barnhill wrote that there is video of Arbery "burglarizing a home immediately preceding the chase and confrontation""
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Ahmaud_Arbery
Just because the DA wrote it doesn't mean it's true.

And let's face it. You can't trust someone who seriously uses the word "burglarized".

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:21 PM   #365
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think someone legally carrying a firearm and going to legally attempt to detain someone they believe has just committed a crime
Here's you're first problem, it isn't legal to detain a person you suspect of committing a crime in Georgia, unless that crime is a felony and the person is trying to escape. There is no evidence of either of these requirements in this case. In fact there is no evidence of Arbey breaking the law at all, let alone committing a felony. So rather than a legal attempt to detain, they were engaged in an illegal felony themselves, an attempted unlawful detention.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 7th May 2020 at 09:23 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:28 PM   #366
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

And just for the cherry on top, aggressively pointing a gun at someone in Georgia is considered Aggravated Assault, because it's a simple assault while using a deadly weapon, and when a death occurs during an Aggravated Assault, that's considered a death during an inherently dangerous Felony, which means that the death is a Felony Murder.

Yeah, short of Jury nullification on this, they are going to jail for a long time.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:32 PM   #367
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

....and that he then reacted in an unexpectedly rapid and violent way which necessitated a self-defense shooting.
Since when is a person expected to fold like a lawn chair when confronted with armed men who possibly intend to harm?
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:40 PM   #368
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Since when is a person expected to fold like a lawn chair when confronted with armed men who possibly intend to harm?
His argument is basically that if a black person attempts to defend themselves against a white person holding a gun, then it's the acceptable to pull the trigger and kill them.

Of course it'd be interesting to see the knots people like said poster would tie themselves in where this a case of several black guys with gun who tried to illegally detain and then ended up shooting a white guy who was jogging through their neighbourhood because they believed he was the guy seen wandering about a building site on security footage.

Old 7th May 2020, 09:41 PM   #369
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

From letter the DA wrote:

Quote:
"I appreciate there is immediate pressure on your department as to the issue of 'arrest'

----

It is my professional belief the autopsy confirms what we had already viewed as shown in the video tape, with the photographs & from the witness statements taken immediately at the scene. The autopsy supports the initial opinion we gave you on February 24th, 2020 at the briefing room in the Glynn County Police Department after reviewing the evidence you had at the time. We do not see grounds for an arrest of any of the three parties.

It appears Travis McMichael, Greg McMichael, and Bryan William were following, in 'hot pursuit', a burglary suspect, with solid first hand probable cause, in their neighborhood, and asking/telling him to stop. It appears their intent was to stop and hold this criminal suspect until law enforcement arrived. Under Georgia Law this is perfectly legal.

It clearly appears Travis McMichael and Greg McMichael had firearms being carried in an open fashion. The investigation shows neither of them to be convicted felons or under felony supervision, they were in a motor vehicle owned by Travis McMichael. Under Georgia Law this is legal open carry.

The video made by William Bryan clearly shows the shooting in real time. From said video it appears Ahmaud Arbery was running along the right side of the McMichael truck then abruptly turns 90 degrees to the left and attacks Travis McMichael who was standing at the front left corner of the truck. A brief skirmish ensues in which it appears Arbery strikes McMichael and appears to grab the shotgun and pull it from McMichael. The 1st shot is through Arbery's right hand palm which is consistent with him grabbing and pulling the shotgun at the barrel tip, the 2nd and 3rd wounds are consistent with the struggle for the shotgun as depicted in the video, the angle of the 2nd shot with the rear of the buttstock being pushed away and down from teh right are also consistent with the upward angle of blood plume shown in the video and that McMichael was attempting to push the gun away from Arbery while Arbery was pulling it toward himself. The 3rd shot too appears to be in a struggle over the gun. The angle of the shots and the video show this was from the beginning or almost immediately became -- a fight over the shotgun.

Given the fact Arbery initiated the fight, at the point Arbery grabbed the shotgun, under Georgia Law, McMichael was allowed to use deadly force to protect himself.

Just as importantly, while we know McMichael had his finger on the trigger, we do not know who caused the firings. ...

... Arbery's mental health records & prior convictions help explain his apparent aggressive nature and his possible thought pattern to attack an armed man."

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 7th May 2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 7th May 2020, 09:43 PM   #370
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

So you're that sure about the burglary? I have not read about anyone who claims Arbery stole or damaged property while in the buildling he was alleged to have entered. Without intent to commit a crime, the unlawful entry of a home or other building does not mean burglary in Georgia.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/georgi...lary-laws.html
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:46 PM   #371
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Like I said earlier, in what jurisdiction is the death penalty appropriate for trespassing?

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:47 PM   #372
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Just as importantly, while we know McMichael had his finger on the trigger, we do not know who caused the firings. ...
I thought everyone knew the person holding the damn gun is responsible for how it operated? Even the most borish anti-gun idiots (including on this forum) know this. Why are you taking the lame "gun owner not responsible for his own actions" position?
Old 7th May 2020, 09:48 PM   #373
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Like I said earlier, in what jurisdiction is the death penalty appropriate for trespassing?
He was not shot for trespassing, nor for being black, nor for going for a jog.

He was shot because he attacked, punched, and tried to take the firearm of a man who (legally) confronted him.
Old 7th May 2020, 10:10 PM   #374
Elagabalus
Philosopher

All I know is that I can already tell that the day these guys get acquitted is going to be one of the more enjoyable anguish-harvests I've had since 2016.

https://i.imgur.com/dvCQfVR.png

So how did your prediction of the Amber Guyger trial work out?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:11 PM   #375
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

He was shot because he attacked, punched, and tried to take the firearm of a man who (legally) confronted him.
If he wasn’t actually wearing the junior deputy badge he got from the Cheerios box he is going to prison.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 7th May 2020 at 10:13 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:19 PM   #376
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I thought we'd already established that brandishing a firearm is not legal.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 7th May 2020, 10:29 PM   #377
BobTheCoward
Banned

I get the DA's argument, but he left off a complete picture of things I would like to know.

Suppose I know I'm innocent. For a cop,there is a presumption that a cop will not arrest without probable cause and there just isn't that many cops out there. Am I required to turn myself over for every person that yells citizens arrest at me?

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 7th May 2020 at 10:31 PM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:30 PM   #378
BobTheCoward
Banned

I thought we'd already established that brandishing a firearm is not legal.
And as the DA correctly pointed out, they were acting legally and therefore not brandishing.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:37 PM   #379
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

So how did your prediction of the Amber Guyger trial work out?

Well let me guess! He didn't predict 10 years in jail?

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:38 PM   #380
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
And as the DA correctly pointed out, they were acting legally and therefore not brandishing.
For a start, that's a circular argument. Second, doesn't the video show that they were brandishing?

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 7th May 2020, 10:40 PM   #381
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting the bits if the article you left out... such as the DA that wrote the letter being one of those that had to recuse themselves because of personal connections to the defendants. Also that...

Quote:
Action News Jax has looked into Arbery’s criminal history, and it doesn’t include any violent offenses. Action News Jax contacted his attorney and he said Arbery doesn’t have a history of mental issues.
which the DA claimed he did.

also....

Quote:
Action News Jax law and safety expert Dale Carson said he finds Barnhill’s letter unusual.

“The entire letter is based on the presumption that the individuals that engaged in the shooting, was engaged in a criminal act before he was chased down,” Carson said.

He said no one has provided proof of that.
By which I would suggest was meant to mean....

“The entire letter is based on the presumption that the individual that was involved in the shooting, was engaged in a criminal act before he was chased down”

Also it is clear that those that did the chasing did not witness a crime being committed...

Quote:
According to the police report, Gregory McMichael and Travis McMichael told police they believed Arbery was the person committing burglaries in their neighborhood, Satilla Shores. When they saw him running past their home on a Sunday afternoon, they grabbed their guns and went after him.
Again, their own words show that the attempted detention was not legal. You can't just grab your gun and go after someone you think might have, perhaps been the guy you think might have perhaps been committing some crime. That's not a citizen's arrest, that's an unlawful detention.

Old 7th May 2020, 10:41 PM   #382
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

No they were not acting legally. PhantomWolf has explained this thoroughly, referring to the Laws on the State of Georgia

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=138

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:42 PM   #383
BobTheCoward
Banned

For a start, that's a circular argument. Second, doesn't the video show that they were brandishing?
If they are engaging in a citizens arrest, they likely then enter the rules around law enforcement unholstering weapons....which often sides with law enforcement.
Old 7th May 2020, 10:45 PM   #384
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

If only there was an organisation that had mobile trained officials that they could have called in to deal with the situation.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:46 PM   #385
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
No they were not acting legally. PhantomWolf has explained this thoroughly, referring to the Laws on the State of Georgia

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=138
I disagree, and it is an unresolvable debate. I doubt neither phantomwolf nor I would accept the outcome of court case in the south where a white man murdered a black man as an experiment to prove our respective interpretations.
Old 7th May 2020, 10:48 PM   #386
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
If only there was an organisation that had mobile trained officials that they could have called in to deal with the situation.
Irrelevant....the George Zimmerman case demonstrates well that the cases are far more narrow and don't look more broadly at general actions.
Old 7th May 2020, 10:49 PM   #387
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

If they are engaging in a citizens arrest, they likely then enter the rules around law enforcement unholstering weapons....which often sides with law enforcement.
The problem is that they weren't complying with Georgia Law in their attempt. The law doesn't allow you to see someone jogging down the road and decide they might have been committing a crime so you can get your gun and run them down in your pickup to confront and point your guns at them.

It gives the right to prevent a person leaving the scene of a crime you witness, or to prevent a suspect to a felony from escaping the crime scene. This is not what happened.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 7th May 2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 7th May 2020, 10:53 PM   #388
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Irrelevant....the George Zimmerman case demonstrates well that the cases are far more narrow and don't look more broadly at general actions.
True. Untrained members of the public with guns, no legal training, and no HR psychological screening, stopping anyone on their own initiative. What could go wrong?
Old 7th May 2020, 10:55 PM   #389
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
The problem is that they weren't complying with Georgia Law in their attempt. The law doesn't allow you to see someone jogging down the road and decide they might have been committing a crime so you can get your gun and run them down in your pickup to confront and point your guns at them.

It gives the right to prevent a person leaving the scene of a crime you witness, or to prevent a suspect to a felony from escaping the crime scene. This is not what happened.
The standards for "reasonable" and "probable" are such **** in this country that what they saw is going to be "correctly" interpreted as reasonable perception that they had firsthand knowledge of a crime.
Old 7th May 2020, 10:56 PM   #390
BobTheCoward
Banned

True. Untrained members of the public with guns, no legal training, and no HR psychological screening, stopping anyone on their own initiative. What could go wrong?
Odd response. Do you think I'm making a normative argument?
Old 7th May 2020, 10:57 PM   #391
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yeah - it's not like anyone's life is at stake.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 7th May 2020, 10:58 PM   #392
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I disagree, and it is an unresolvable debate. I doubt neither phantomwolf nor I would accept the outcome of court case in the south where a white man murdered a black man as an experiment to prove our respective interpretations.
It's unresolvable in the sense that you're not willing to admit that you're wrong.

It's not unresolvable in the sense that it's possible to show logically, based on the law and the facts of the case, that you're wrong, as has already been done in this thread.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 11:01 PM   #393
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Regardless of protestations, they have been arrested, they have been charged, and they are going to court. The court will decide whether what they did was legal or not.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 7th May 2020, 11:08 PM   #394
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Odd response. Do you think I'm making a normative argument?
I have no opinion on that. Just making my own normative claim that the citizens arrest scenario being floated is pants-on-head crazy.
Old 7th May 2020, 11:09 PM   #395
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

NYT: 2 Suspects Charged With Murder in Ahmaud Arbery Shooting
Quote:
Gregory McMichael and Travis McMichael were arrested in connection with the killing of Mr. Arbery, which had led to protests in Georgia.
Guess the new prosecutor decided not to wait for that Grand Jury.

Quote:
The case is the latest in the United States to raise concerns about racial inequities in the justice system. Documents obtained by The New York Times show that a Georgia prosecutor who had the case for weeks before recusing himself over a conflict of interest had advised the Glynn County Police Department that there was “insufficient probable cause” to issue arrest warrants for the McMichaels.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 7th May 2020 at 11:14 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 11:14 PM   #396
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Regardless of protestations, they have been arrested, they have been charged, and they are going to court. The court will decide whether what they did was legal or not.
A socially agreed convention to publicly try the cases and be judged by your peers, presided over by legal experts? What a grand notion.
Old 7th May 2020, 11:16 PM   #397
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

A socially agreed convention to publicly try the cases and be judged by your peers, presided over by legal experts? What a grand notion.
Yep. Something that was denied to their victim.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 7th May 2020, 11:27 PM   #398
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Yep. Something that was denied to their victim.
Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law or executed by any old arse hole with a gun.
Old 7th May 2020, 11:28 PM   #399
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law or executed by any old arse hole with a gun.
I think you mean "lynched".

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 7th May 2020, 11:35 PM   #400
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

No matter what you think of the video or the event as you currently understand them, every decent person has to find the idea of murder charges being filed because of celebrity attention and public outcry chilling.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events