IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ahmaud Arbery , Georgia incidents , Gregory McMichael , prosecutorial misconduct , racism charges , racism incidents , shooting incidents , Travis McMichael , William Bryan

Closed Thread
Old 6th May 2020, 11:24 AM   #41
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Fox News has the video. It is rather disturbing. https://www.foxnews.com/us/georgia-g...-ahmaud-arbery

By itself it appears to show the jogger trying to evade then defend himself against the man with the shotgun.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 11:24 AM   #42
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
So far, these clowns have faced no liability at all, with the cops prosecutors doing backflips to let them off the hook. It's George Zimmerman all over again.
Regardless of the law, we're seeing the nasty side of prosecutorial discretion. Hopefully the grand jury doesn't take the same absurdly generous reading of the law.

If the case can get yanked out of the good-ole-boy network and into a proper court, these guys are going to jail. Here's to hope!
Old 6th May 2020, 11:36 AM   #43
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
TBF, "our road" is vastly different from "white road".
ANd of course our road means that there are no blacks on it, but stop trying to make this about race. Yes a black being there is what is weird and his being black is why it is weird but there is nothing racial about that.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 11:39 AM   #44
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
As Ron Obvious noted above, there is a world of difference.

'On our road, the one on which we live, we haven't seen a black man in 50 years, except for a recently reported burglary suspect'

is quite a bit different from

'This is a white road, where we gun down darkies'

The rednecks are in the wrong either way, but very different in motivations. The devil is in the spin.
Like the difference between a racist white town and a mere sundowner town. Merely wanting all blacks out by night is clearly different than being racist.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 11:41 AM   #45
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Could an actual cop have arrested Arbery for anything?
Resisting arrest is always a good one in this situation. And if he bleeds on police uniforms then you have destruction of police property. A good cop can always find a good reason to arrest someone.
Old 6th May 2020, 11:53 AM   #46
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I have no opinion on your first question.

As to your second question, cops are generally protected if they arrest someone for a suspected crime that they incorrectly suspect.
I think even then, if my understanding of the video evidence is correct, this would not be the case, because a shot was fired before any arrest was attempted.

I don't think sniping is protected even for policemen.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 11:54 AM   #47
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The claim of the killers is that this man matches the description of a suspicious person (potential burglar) seen on previous nights.
That would not meet the situation of citizen's arrest as I understand it. I could be wrong, though.

To me it sounds more like a vigilante mob.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 12:08 PM   #48
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

As Ron Obvious noted above, there is a world of difference.

'On our road, the one on which we live, we haven't seen a black man in 50 years, except for a recently reported burglary suspect'

is quite a bit different from

'This is a white road, where we gun down darkies'

The rednecks are in the wrong either way, but very different in motivations. The devil is in the spin.
That's a mighty thin spin, and I do not think there is a great difference in motivation shown by the way it's said. The presumption that no black man in the neighborhood could be anyone but an unidentified burglar is still racist. We have only sketchy information thus far to know if there is any ground for the presumption that the actual burglar was black. You can bet dollars to donuts that these people could never claim justification for shooting an unidentified white jogger from their truck even if there were confirmation that a white burglar had been spotted. If you can justify shooting a black man because he is in "our street," that is a pretty dramatic way of announcing that this is not a street where blacks may safely go, and that, I think, is equivalent to saying it's a white street.

e.t.a. that's true even if there are a few blacks tolerated. If a black person has to get permission or clearance to use a road, which white people do not, then it is a white road. You can say that in all sorts of different ways, including obfuscations and lies (not you Thermal, them), and that won't change it.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)

Last edited by bruto; 6th May 2020 at 12:11 PM.
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 12:11 PM   #49
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
That's a mighty thin spin, and I do not think there is a great difference in motivation shown by the way it's said. The presumption that no black man in the neighborhood could be anyone but an unidentified burglar is still racist. We have only sketchy information thus far to know if there is any ground for the presumption that the actual burglar was black. You can bet dollars to donuts that these people could never claim justification for shooting an unidentified white jogger from their truck even if there were confirmation that a white burglar had been spotted. If you can justify shooting a black man because he is in "our street," that is a pretty dramatic way of announcing that this is not a street where blacks may safely go, and that, I think, is equivalent to saying it's a white street.
Here's what I figure. Take their statement, "There's a black guy running down our road" and add the response, "So?"

Where does the conversation go from there?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 12:25 PM   #50
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Just for context the city of Brunswick is 59.8% black, the greater county of Glynn is 26.4% black, and the state of Georgia is 30.5% black.

So "Black guy jogging down the street" isn't exactly supercharged creeper riding a white unicorn level of "Rare Occurrence."
Old 6th May 2020, 12:31 PM   #51
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Just for context the city of Brunswick is 59.8% black, the greater county of Glynn is 26.4% black, and the state of Georgia is 30.5% black.

So "Black guy jogging down the street" isn't exactly supercharged creeper riding a white unicorn level of "Rare Occurrence."
I wouldn't assume based on those numbers that the city itself doesn't have pretty severe de-facto segregation in certain neighborhoods.

Edit:

The street Arbery was killed on is in an expensive neighborhood called Satilla Shores. It's water-front properties with 300k and 400k homes, with a handful of more modest homes on less desirable properties.

I'm going to put the odds of high racial diversity pretty low on this one.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 6th May 2020 at 12:43 PM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 12:56 PM   #52
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't assume based on those numbers that the city itself doesn't have pretty severe de-facto segregation in certain neighborhoods.
Agreed. The county, state, and even town's racial demographics have nothing to do with who is found on this street.

Quote:
Edit:

The street Arbery was killed on is in an expensive neighborhood called Satilla Shores. It's water-front properties with 300k and 400k homes, with a handful of more modest homes on less desirable properties.

I'm going to put the odds of high racial diversity pretty low on this one
Well that's racist.
Old 6th May 2020, 12:59 PM   #53
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Edit:

I'm going to put the odds of high racial diversity pretty low on this one.
My point was that the idea that "a black guy" is such an out of nowhere site as to be suspicious in and of itself didn't track, and the fact that they seem comfortable and confident using that as a justification is distasteful.
Old 6th May 2020, 12:59 PM   #54
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Interestingly, according to the police report, by the killers' own admission, Arbery originally ran another direction to evade them the first time they attempted to confront him with their weapons, and using their vehicles they chased him to another street and cut him off there, which is where the dashcam video picks up.

This man was essentially doomed the moment these psychopaths arbitrarily (or rather, not so arbitrarily) deemed him "suspicious" and decided to go after him with guns. Arbery tried to do the right thing and run, but they pointedly denied him this avenue of escape from the situation.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 01:12 PM   #55
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I think even then, if my understanding of the video evidence is correct, this would not be the case, because a shot was fired before any arrest was attempted.

I don't think sniping is protected even for policemen.
You need to watch more police shooting videos.
Old 6th May 2020, 01:18 PM   #56
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Interestingly, according to the police report, by the killers' own admission, Arbery originally ran another direction to evade them the first time they attempted to confront him with their weapons, and using their vehicles they chased him to another street and cut him off there, which is where the dashcam video picks up.

This man was essentially doomed the moment these psychopaths arbitrarily (or rather, not so arbitrarily) deemed him "suspicious" and decided to go after him with guns. Arbery tried to do the right thing and run, but they pointedly denied him this avenue of escape from the situation.
No see under properly manly laws this was one of those situations where no one did anything wrong and so the death is just one of those things that happens and no one is culpable for in any way. Like with the officer who got the wrong appartment if only he was armed and quicker on the draw he would also have been perfectly legal in killing them, but that doesn't mean anyone did anything wrong on either side.

Got to get in touch with the second amendment to understand this.
Old 6th May 2020, 01:19 PM   #57
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

People are either going to have to try and argue that Arbery should have submitted to arrest by two civilians to excuse this one.

And they will.
Old 6th May 2020, 01:19 PM   #58
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

So your argument is the video is some sort of deep fake?

A truck load of people saw the black guy choking while jogging so they all jumped out and try to all perform the heimlich on him at once?

What exactly, and please be precise (precise, no vaguary about "waiting to here the whole story" unless you're willing to present a version of this story that isn't insane), are you "skeptical" about?
Some people's racism runs so deep that the facts don't matter to them - the jogger was black, that was is crime.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th May 2020 at 01:21 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 01:29 PM   #59
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
You need to watch more police shooting videos.
I don't say it doesn't happen, and I suppose I'd better not say it isn't protected. I am presuming here sniping before the victim has been given any warning that there's anything happening. If that is protected, it sure shouldn't be.

Old 6th May 2020, 01:50 PM   #60
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

People are either going to have to try and argue that Arbery should have submitted to arrest by two civilians to excuse this one.

And they will.
Yep, think about this.

A pair of white guys with shotguns chase after the black guy in a pickup.

Keep in mind, he doesn't know why they are chasing him because he hasn't done anything wrong.

And he is supposed to submit to their commands or get shot?

What is the difference between this and racist rednecks on a ****** hunt? From appearances, it is indistinguishable.

And, in real time, all he has is appearances.
Old 6th May 2020, 02:08 PM   #61
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
The most enjoyable part of being a member of ISF is watching the "OMG-America-is-so-racist" social justice mob fall for stories like this without being the least bit skeptical before they work themselves into a frenzy and step directly on the rake laid out in front of them and get whacked right in the face.

Never gets old.
America is racist and ******* crazy.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 02:08 PM   #62
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
The most enjoyable part of being a member of ISF is watching the "OMG-America-is-so-racist" social justice mob fall for stories like this without being the least bit skeptical before they work themselves into a frenzy and step directly on the rake laid out in front of them and get whacked right in the face.

Never gets old.
I must agree with Bogative here. We simply don't have all of the facts.

All that we know is that there was a confrontation, and the "victim" ran away, prompting at least two people with guns (unknown whether they already had the guns, or were retrieved after the first confrontation) to get into a pickup, and follow him, eventually blocking his path with their truck, with one getting out of the car while displaying a weapon. Also, prompting someone in a second car to follow while taking video of what was about to happen.

At that point, we know that the runner attacked the man, who shot him. Or maybe his friend shot him from the bed of the pickup.

That's all we know.

Based on that, it could be first degree murder.
It could be second degree murder.
It could even be some variation on manslaughter. (That term is used in some states' laws, not in others.)

And I couldn't tell whether all three shots were from the shotgun, or whether the handgun was also fired from the bed of the pickup truck. That could mean that there are possibly two people who could be guilty of homicide, or of assault, possibly assault with attempt to murder (colloquially referred to as "attempted murder").

It could have an additional element of a hate crime.

There's so much we don't know.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 02:11 PM   #63
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

Some editorializing from your's truly.

I'm taking the liberty to assume "random black guy that fits the description of some dubious burglary suspect" really means "black guy in the wrong neighborhood".

The verbatim quote from the 911 call is "He's a black man running down our road".
That may be a verbatim quote from the family's lawyer, but in that lawyers tend to get into "editorializing" too, maybe you should actually investigate that.

Here, this might help. This article seems to have actual quotes from both of the 911 calls.

https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/lo...dc8f879f8.html
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 02:14 PM   #64
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

According to a Guardian report, Arbery had been jogging this street for a long time. He was a regular and known for it.

Quote:
On a sun-speckled, tree-lined street on a sunny Sunday afternoon, Ahmaud Arbery ran through his neighborhood in the coastal town of Brunswick, Georgia. Neighbors had seen him run by their homes every day for years.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ooting-georgia

I have two questions:

1) Are the shooters also regulars in the area? Residents?

If so, they would probably have known who Arbery was and why he was running. And this was just personal animus.

If not, their story of "black guy running on our streets" indicates they were likely "trawling" the streets for any black guy to shoot. Also, hence the cam video from the "trailing" car. Again, what gives them that animus to do that sort of thing?

2) How did these guys know where he was running so they could "drive and cut him off"? Did they stake him out previously? Know his route? That suggests premeditation. They've been following him.

Altogether, this is murder.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 02:15 PM   #65
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
So if you're throwing in with him, how about you answer the question that he still hasn't?

What facts are we waiting on exactly? Please give me a hypothetical set of scenarios that happened before this event, off camera of this event, or whatever that makes what happened in the video not terrible.

And I want an answer, not a vague, glib allusion to some "We need to hear all the facts" truism.
Old 6th May 2020, 02:26 PM   #66
Meadmaker

So if you're throwing in with him, how about you answer the question that he still hasn't?

What facts are we waiting on exactly? Please give me a hypothetical set of scenarios that happened before this event, off camera of this event, or whatever that makes what happened in the video not terrible.

And I want an answer, not a vague, glib allusion to some "We need to hear all the facts" truism.
Joe, please try a little bit harder.

I said, we don't know all the facts, and then went on to say that it could be first degree murder, or second degree murder, or maybe manslaughter (emphasis added) or possibly a hate crime, and that we needed more facts to sort it out.

I'm pretty sure plenty of other people figured out what I did there.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 02:31 PM   #67
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

All that we know is that there was a confrontation, and the "victim" ran away, prompting at least two people with guns (unknown whether they already had the guns, or were retrieved after the first confrontation) to get into a pickup, and follow him, eventually blocking his path with their truck, with one getting out of the car while displaying a weapon. Also, prompting someone in a second car to follow while taking video of what was about to happen.

At that point, we know that the runner attacked the man, who shot him. Or maybe his friend shot him from the bed of the pickup.

That's all we know.

Based on that, it could be first degree murder.
It could be second degree murder.
It could even be some variation on manslaughter. (That term is used in some states' laws, not in others.)

And I couldn't tell whether all three shots were from the shotgun, or whether the handgun was also fired from the bed of the pickup truck. That could mean that there are possibly two people who could be guilty of homicide, or of assault, possibly assault with attempt to murder (colloquially referred to as "attempted murder").

It could have an additional element of a hate crime.

There's so much we don't know.
Most of the news reports I've read keep saying "two shots", when it's clear in the video there are 3 shots fired, the first happens nearly at the same time we see him go around the truck. We can't see what happened when the first shot is fired, but the other two can be seen, with the last being the fatal one. Was the first a shot in the air, to scare/stop him, or did the altercation somehow start as soon as the runner goes out of sight around the truck, and if so, who/what started it? It's all over in seconds, but we only see a fraction of that.
And, no, I'm not saying the gun toatin', truck drivin' idiots had the tiniest right to start this, at all, and clearly, if they hadn't, he'd still be alive. No defence there, but, as Meadmaker said, we are missing some key details.
Old 6th May 2020, 02:54 PM   #68
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Here ya go. And tell me if it is too outlandish:

The hillbillies were right, and Arbery was in fact the burglar captured on video. The first time they tried to confront him, he took off running. The second time, there was a car following him.

Remember the inexplicable car, that was following Arbery and captured the video? And who's occupants said nothing audible while witnessing a killing?

Hillbilly boys see Arbery now charging down the street toward their parked truck, with a vehicle following. Say that (since you ask for a hypothetical) they recognize the car, or see that it is full of unfriendly faces, looking like Arbey has rounded up a posse and is charging them to bring trouble.

Now our innocent jogger is still inexplicably running towards a man with a shotgun and diverts to the other side of the truck for cover and, without breaking his stride, attacks Jethro (there was no warning shot, btw. The first shot is when Arbery is in full charge, a couple feet away).

How's that? Anything that doesn't fit?

I'm not saying this happened, of course. But as skeptics, shouldn't we at least consider something besides the Murdering Racists narrative? How many threads before has it turned out the narrative was wrong?
Old 6th May 2020, 03:00 PM   #69
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Ah the fan fiction begins....

Is Amber Guyger's lawyer still available? I mean he lost but he probably learned a lot.

And the "Oh but maybe he was the burglar!?" started quicker then I thought.

Okay sit down I've got some bad news, you can't execute black men in the street for crimes without a trial. So even if he was the burlgar it was still murder. 1st Degree Murder.

I bet he smoked pot too. Quick someone find a Facebook photo where he's throwing up a gang sign!
Old 6th May 2020, 03:03 PM   #70
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The hillbillies were right, and Arbery was in fact the burglar captured on video. The first time they tried to confront him, he took off running. The second time, there was a car following him.

Remember the inexplicable car, that was following Arbery and captured the video? And who's occupants said nothing audible while witnessing a killing?

Hillbilly boys see Arbery now charging down the street toward their parked truck, with a vehicle following. Say that (since you ask for a hypothetical) they recognize the car, or see that it is full of unfriendly faces, looking like Arbey has rounded up a posse and is charging them to bring trouble.

Now our innocent jogger is still inexplicably running towards a man with a shotgun and diverts to the other side of the truck for cover and, without breaking his stride, attacks Jethro (there was no warning shot, btw. The first shot is when Arbery is in full charge, a couple feet away).

I'm not saying this happened, of course. But as skeptics, shouldn't we at least consider something besides the Murdering Racists narrative? How many threads before has it turned out the narrative was wrong?
Your scenario seems to ignore the account we read above that Arbery was a regular jogger in the neighborhood, known to at least some of its residents, and that nobody else would have thought to figure out whether he was doing something else when he regularly, over the years, jogged by.'

It also seems to contradict multiple reports that the first shot was taken as he ran around the truck, from the truck. Was there another car behind Arbery full of hostile looking people? Or just another passer by with a camera? Would it be unusual or frightening for a car to be seen on a public highway?

Old 6th May 2020, 03:04 PM   #71
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You asked for an hypothetical alternative narrative, Jackson. You can't complain when you got what you asked for.

Well, you can, but you look pretty stupid.

What do you think is implausible? Or was your request for a hypothetical just bait?
Old 6th May 2020, 03:05 PM   #72
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

As skeptics, shouldn't we be asking "What did he do to deserve being shot?"
Old 6th May 2020, 03:11 PM   #73
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Your scenario seems to ignore the account we read above that Arbery was a regular jogger in the neighborhood, known to at least some of its residents, and that nobody else would have thought to figure out whether he was doing something else when he regularly, over the years, jogged by.'
What does some other residents recognizing them have to do with these guys? Or, looked at another way, who said the rednecks didn't recognize him as a regular jogger? Wouldn't that account for how he was recognized on surveillance video?

Quote:
It also seems to contradict multiple reports that the first shot was taken as he ran around the truck, from the truck. Was there another car behind Arbery full of hostile looking people? Or just another passer by with a camera? Would it be unusual or frightening for a car to be seen on a public highway?
Highway? Looks like a residential backstreet to me. And filming the road as they happened to be driving down it, then happened upon a killing without comment? Do you do this?

Plus, JM asked for a hypothetical to complain about. I'm not advocating this.
Old 6th May 2020, 03:14 PM   #74
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
As skeptics, shouldn't we be asking "What did he do to deserve being shot?"
Absolutely. And I would say nothing to deserve it.

I would also opine that if you see a truck barracading a road with armed hillbillies in Georgia...

Don't run down the street towards them unarmed and attack them with your bare hands. Something predictably bad might happen.
Old 6th May 2020, 03:19 PM   #75
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely. And I would say nothing to deserve it.

I would also opine that if you see a truck barracading a road with armed hillbillies in Georgia...

Don't run down the street towards them unarmed and attack them with your bare hands. Something predictably bad might happen.
Wow, so now it's his fault.

But then again, according to the report, he DID run away. And they chased after him.

So you think that a black person being run down by a white guys carrying shotguns in a pickup truck should surrender to them. That's pretty disgusting, I have to say.
Old 6th May 2020, 03:26 PM   #76
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Wow, so now it's his fault.

But then again, according to the report, he DID run away. And they chased after him.

So you think that a black person being run down by a white guys carrying shotguns in a pickup truck should surrender to them. That's pretty disgusting, I have to say.

Try reading harder. The hillbillies confronted him twice. The first time he ran away. The second time he charged them. They were parked. He ran up to them and attacked.

Would you do that? I wouldn't. Confronted witb armed nutjobs, and being unarmed, I would be cutting across some lawns to get away from them. As fast as I could.

So you advocate charging at armed crazies? Do tell.
Old 6th May 2020, 03:27 PM   #77
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

You asked for an hypothetical alternative narrative, Jackson. You can't complain when you got what you asked for.

Well, you can, but you look pretty stupid.

What do you think is implausible? Or was your request for a hypothetical just bait?
That is an incredibly ironic comment.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 03:31 PM   #78
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

What does some other residents recognizing them have to do with these guys? Or, looked at another way, who said the rednecks didn't recognize him as a regular jogger? Wouldn't that account for how he was recognized on surveillance video?

Highway? Looks like a residential backstreet to me. And filming the road as they happened to be driving down it, then happened upon a killing without comment? Do you do this?

Plus, JM asked for a hypothetical to complain about. I'm not advocating this.
There's no evidence that the rednecks in question correlated the jogger, let alone a jogger they knew, with any surveillance video, is there?

A road, a street, a public highway. Yes a road that is open to the public who drive on it. Do people going into the neighborhood normally fly? Even if it's a quiet residential street a person would have to be insane to be surprised at the presence of a car on it.

No, I don't film things going on ahead of me when I drive, but many people do, especially if they see something odd. In some places dashcams are a routine item that is always kept on. It's a far more believable scenario than the idea that the person in the car was some sort of accomplice.

And, of course, if the rednecks had actually recognized a known individual on a surveillance video, it was really really stupid and wrong for them to get in a truck and go gunning for him when they could just have called the cops and said they knew who the culprit was.

And (just to cover a following text) I don't think the jogger did run to the truck and attack someone with his bare hands. He ran around the truck, and the occupants then chased him. Accounts have the attack occurring outside of the truck, after the jogger had run around it.

While trying to imagine how things go, I would suppose that in Georgia a pickup truck full of people (I don't know for sure if they also looked like threatening rednecks) is probably pretty common. So I would suspect that the idea that one should turn around and run away when one sees a pickup truck is race-specific.

We're getting dangerously near to the invocation of a unique ******-code (I presume the auto censor will edit that first word out), in which it's the fault of certain folks if they forget their special place in society. Given the sad state of the world, I suppose you can say it's their mistake, but that is far far different from saying it's their fault, and until that difference is recognized improvement will be slow and painful.

Old 6th May 2020, 03:36 PM   #79
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
That is an incredibly ironic comment.
Instead of going straight to a childish 0/12, how about you contribute?

Do you think it is bright to ask for an alternative hypothetical and then complain when you get exactly what you ask for?

Expecting crickets in 3...2...1...
Old 6th May 2020, 03:36 PM   #80
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

You're talking to a dedicated contrarian. If you haven't deduced it yet from his characterizing Arbery's self-evidently trying to run around and past the truck as "charging" the gunman who at that moment was in the middle of the road on the opposite side of the truck, Thermal is arguing in bad faith. At least keep that in mind if you insist on trying to engage him.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events