IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ahmaud Arbery , Georgia incidents , Gregory McMichael , prosecutorial misconduct , racism charges , racism incidents , shooting incidents , Travis McMichael , William Bryan

Closed Thread
Old 6th May 2020, 03:38 PM   #81
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I must agree with Bogative here. We simply don't have all of the facts.

All that we know is that there was a confrontation, and the "victim" ran away, prompting at least two people with guns (unknown whether they already had the guns, or were retrieved after the first confrontation) to get into a pickup, and follow him, eventually blocking his path with their truck, with one getting out of the car while displaying a weapon. Also, prompting someone in a second car to follow while taking video of what was about to happen.

At that point, we know that the runner attacked the man, who shot him. Or maybe his friend shot him from the bed of the pickup.

That's all we know.

Based on that, it could be first degree murder.

It could be second degree murder.

It could even be some variation on manslaughter. (That term is used in some states' laws, not in others.)

And I couldn't tell whether all three shots were from the shotgun, or whether the handgun was also fired from the bed of the pickup truck. That could mean that there are possibly two people who could be guilty of homicide, or of assault, possibly assault with attempt to murder (colloquially referred to as "attempted murder").

It could have an additional element of a hate crime.

There's so much we don't know.
Read checkmites previous post for more background.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 03:40 PM   #82
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
There's no evidence that the rednecks in question correlated the jogger, let alone a jogger they knew, with any surveillance video, is there?

A road, a street, a public highway. Yes a road that is open to the public who drive on it. Do people going into the neighborhood normally fly? Even if it's a quiet residential street a person would have to be insane to be surprised at the presence of a car on it.

No, I don't film things going on ahead of me when I drive, but many people do, especially if they see something odd. In some places dashcams are a routine item that is always kept on. It's a far more believable scenario than the idea that the person in the car was some sort of accomplice.

And, of course, if the rednecks had actually recognized a known individual on a surveillance video, it was really really stupid and wrong for them to get in a truck and go gunning for him when they could just have called the cops and said they knew who the culprit was.

And (just to cover a following text) I don't think the jogger did run to the truck and attack someone with his bare hands. He ran around the truck, and the occupants then chased him. Accounts have the attack occurring outside of the truck, after the jogger had run around it.

While trying to imagine how things go, I would suppose that in Georgia a pickup truck full of people (I don't know for sure if they also looked like threatening rednecks) is probably pretty common. So I would suspect that the idea that one should turn around and run away when one sees a pickup truck is race-specific.

We're getting dangerously near to the invocation of a unique ******-code (I presume the auto censor will edit that first word out), in which it's the fault of certain folks if they forget their special place in society. Given the sad state of the world, I suppose you can say it's their mistake, but that is far far different from saying it's their fault, and until that difference is recognized improvement will be slow and painful.
Have you actually seen the video? It sounds like you haven't, and are going by text.

That was not dashcam, for instance. It is pretty clearly someone fumbling with a phone. And before the rednecks are in view. They knew something was up around the corner. And said not a word when it happened. And how many people do you count in that truck?
Old 6th May 2020, 03:41 PM   #83
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Try reading harder. The hillbillies confronted him twice. The first time he ran away. The second time he charged them. They were parked. He ran up to them and attacked.

Would you do that? I wouldn't. Confronted witb armed nutjobs, and being unarmed, I would be cutting across some lawns to get away from them. As fast as I could.

So you advocate charging at armed crazies? Do tell.
They had cornered him. He has nowhere to go.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 03:45 PM   #84
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

What are the best vids available now? I hope to be able to view them some time this evening (saving cell data).

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 03:51 PM   #85
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
They had cornered him. He has nowhere to go.
Cornered him? In the middle of the street, outdoors, in broad daylight, with no visible fences, obstructions or other barricades in most any direction? Confronted? Yes. Cornered? Hard to see how. Sorry. Lots of other directions to go. He could have turned and ran any other direction, including the way he came. Although it's possible he thought camera car was with the rednecks. Still he could have taken off between houses where the truck would have trouble pursuing.

Last edited by Mike!; 6th May 2020 at 03:55 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 03:53 PM   #86
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
You're talking to a dedicated contrarian. If you haven't deduced it yet from his characterizing Arbery's self-evidently trying to run around and past the truck as "charging" the gunman who at that moment was in the middle of the road on the opposite side of the truck, Thermal is arguing in bad faith. At least keep that in mind if you insist on trying to engage him.
I realize this, though I think he is trying more to be a Marplots with specific reference to charges of racism. It's useful up to a point, but I think he tries too hard.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 03:54 PM   #87
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Here ya go. And tell me if it is too outlandish:

The hillbillies were right, and Arbery was in fact the burglar captured on video. The first time they tried to confront him, he took off running. The second time, there was a car following him.

Remember the inexplicable car, that was following Arbery and captured the video? And who's occupants said nothing audible while witnessing a killing?
And?

Hillbilly boys see Arbery now charging down the street toward their parked truck, with a vehicle following. Say that (since you ask for a hypothetical) they recognize the car, or see that it is full of unfriendly faces, looking like Arbey has rounded up a posse and is charging them to bring trouble.

Now our innocent jogger is still inexplicably running towards a man with a shotgun and diverts to the other side of the truck for cover and, without breaking his stride, attacks Jethro (there was no warning shot, btw. The first shot is when Arbery is in full charge, a couple feet away).

How's that? Anything that doesn't fit?
ARBURY WAS UNARMED!

ARBURY WAS A KNOWN JOGGER WHO HAD JOGGED THAT SAME ROUTE FOR YEARS!

He was JOGGING, not running away, not charging towards them. He was JOGGING at a rate that would have made him easy to catch for anyone who wasn't a fat, white, good-ol-boy, tub of lard with a gun!

FFS, did you actually watch the video?

Do you really have to create harebrained stupid scenarios in order to make excuses for these rednecks

I'm not saying this happened, of course. But as skeptics, shouldn't we at least consider something besides the Murdering Racists narrative? How many threads before has it turned out the narrative was wrong?
Very few. In most cases, at least on this forum, when a video is shown of a cold blooded murder, it turned out to be a cold blooded murder.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th May 2020 at 03:57 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 03:55 PM   #88
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Try reading harder. The hillbillies confronted him twice. The first time he ran away. The second time he charged them. They were parked. He ran up to them and attacked.

Would you do that? I wouldn't. Confronted witb armed nutjobs, and being unarmed, I would be cutting across some lawns to get away from them. As fast as I could.

So you advocate charging at armed crazies? Do tell.
My understanding is that the person taking the video was in cahoots with the two men in the pickup and was pursuing the jogger. The jogger is trapped and surrounded.
As the jogger approaches the pickup he veers to the right, apparently trying to avoid the man in the middle of the street with a shotgun. The shotgun toter moves across the front of the truck to confront the jogger. I can't see the confrontation but the gun goes off immediately
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 03:55 PM   #89
Planigale
Philosopher

The striking thing from a non-US basis is that shooting someone dead would not be subject to a trial. Any defence to killing someone should be presented at a trial. The default should be a trial. Only under the most exceptional circumstances should killing someone not be subjected to judicial review. Stand your ground etc. may be a defence to homicide but such a serious outcome should never be subject to an occult decision by police or prosecution authorities, even a grand jury since it is secret is not appropriate. If you kill someone even if it is justified the consequence should be a trial when you can justify the killing.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 03:56 PM   #90
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Cornered him? In the middle of the street, outdoors, in broad daylight, with no visible fences, obstructions or other barricades in most any direction? Confronted? Yes. Cornered? Hard to see how. Sorry. Lots of other directions to go. He could have turned and ran any other direction, including the way he came. Although it's possible he thought camera car was with the rednecks. Still he could have taken off between houses where the truck would have trouble pursuing.
it was.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 04:02 PM   #91
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
My understanding is that the person taking the video was in cahoots with the two men in the pickup and was pursuing the jogger. The jogger is trapped and surrounded.
As the jogger approaches the pickup he veers to the right, apparently trying to avoid the man in the middle of the street with a shotgun. The shotgun toter moves across the front of the truck to confront the jogger. I can't see the confrontation but the gun goes off immediately
Where did you read that the cameraman is known? The reports I've read said specifically that it was unknown who recorded it
Old 6th May 2020, 04:03 PM   #92
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
it was.
It was what?
Old 6th May 2020, 04:03 PM   #93
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And?

ARBURY WAS UNARMED!

ARBURY WAS A KNOWN JOGGER WHO HAD JOGGED THAT SAME ROUTE FOR YEARS!

He was JOGGING, not running away, not charging towards them. He was JOGGING at a rate that would have made him easy to catch for anyone who wasn't a fat, white, good-ol-boy, tub of lard with a gun!

FFS, did you actually watch the video?

Do you really have to create harebrained stupid scenarios in order to make excuses for these rednecks

Very few. In most cases, at least on this forum, when a video is shown of a cold blooded murder, it turned out to be a cold blooded murder.

I think you're a little behind on the thread. Please read the posts
Old 6th May 2020, 04:04 PM   #94
Meadmaker

Where did you read that the cameraman is known? The reports I've read said specifically that it was unknown who recorded it
Undisclosed, not unknown.

To us, it is unknown though (unless there was some story I haven't seen, which is quite possible.)
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 04:08 PM   #95
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I think you're a little behind on the thread. Please read the posts
What posts?

I'm going by the news reports, the video and statements from Georgia authorities.

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 04:12 PM   #96
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Instead of going straight to a childish 0/12, how about you contribute?

Do you think it is bright to ask for an alternative hypothetical and then complain when you get exactly what you ask for?

Expecting crickets in 3...2...1...
I don’t plan to contribute with fairy tales, which your “hypothetical” is.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 04:13 PM   #97
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I realize this, though I think he is trying more to be a Marplots with specific reference to charges of racism. It's useful up to a point, but I think he tries too hard.
Raism fascinates me. The way people distort their thinking to give the appearance of 'right thinking'. The way a poster will refuse to question anything that conflicts with a narrative.

So yeah, I poke the bear a little. You learn a lot about people in touchy subjects.

Look how many posters are already lying through their teeth, acting like I am advocating this, when I openly gave it to JM at his specific request for a hypothetical with filled in details. People have a hard time keeping their masks on when you touch a nerve.
Old 6th May 2020, 04:23 PM   #98
Meadmaker

My first post was a way of making fun of Bogative's response, because although we don't know a great many things, I think we know enough to draw some very easy conclusions, and although I am not a lawyer, I think I understand the basic legal questions here.

What we see on the video is that the men in/near the pickup truck were behaving in a threatening manner toward the jogger (by deliberately blocking his way.) It also appears that part of their threatening manner was display of and possibly pointing a weapon at the jogger. I say "appears" because I didn't watch the video frame by frame to be absolutely certain that the driver was threatening the jogger with the gun, but it sure seemed that way.

At that point, a reasonable person in the jogger's position would believe that he was in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm, and that escape from that situation was impossible. (i.e. you can't run away from a bullet, and the fact that they deliberately blocked his path would be perceived by a reasonable person as an aggressive act. A reasonable person would fear being shot in the back.)

In doing this, the men in the pickup truck have committed a crime. You can't go around pointing guns at people. You just can't. In some states, there's an exception if you happen to be in your house and he's breaking in, and in all states there's an exception if you are under a reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm, but there is no way any of those circumstances applied to the pickup truck people in this video. It's illegal to go pointing guns at people. Someone could get hurt.

So, the jogger's action, attempting to wrest the gun away from the driver, is justified. Preceiving himself to be under a threat of death or great bodily harm, he is justified in taking action to neutralize that threat, which he did, unsuccessfully.

Now, as a matter of principle, I must say that everyone is entitled to a fair trial, and even to the presumption of innocence, so we must remain open to the theoretical possibility that some future evidence will be presented that makes it clear that there was some extremely important but currently unknown (to us) piece of evidence that would put a completely different spin on what appears to have happened.

However, based on preliminary evidence, it seems these guys are guilty as sin. I suspect both of them, not just the man with the shotgun, because I think both of them brandished weapons. I would have to watch the video again to be sure about the guy in the bed of the truck, but I think he did.

Prosecutors and/or juries will have to decide exactly what charges will be filed and what the convictions will be, but if it isn't something, I will be very surprised, and the people of Georgia will be very angry.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 04:29 PM   #99
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

d

https://www.fox23.com/news/trending/...AXW6DAYVRW6EQ/

The person in the car filming the video was allied with the two men in the pickup. Likely Arbery knew that. Does he turn around to look at the car while running? (I can't actually even find a clean version of the video today). Arbery couldn't turn around and run the other way. The two men in the pickup had stopped because they knew Arbery was being driven towards them. I don't know if it's possible he could have run off the road but if it isn't safe for him to jog on the public road does anyone really think he should have gone onto private property.

Last edited by whoanellie; 6th May 2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 6th May 2020, 04:29 PM   #100
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Just to repeat, we have the suggestion that an unarmed black person out for a jog who gets chased by white guys with shotguns in a pickup deserves to get shot if he doesn't surrender to them.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy

Last edited by pgwenthold; 6th May 2020 at 04:30 PM.
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 04:33 PM   #101
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Just to repeat, we have the suggestion that an unarmed black person out for a jog who gets chased by white guys with shotguns in a pickup deserves to get shot if he doesn't surrender to them.
He could have kept walking rather than initiate physical contact (if he was the one to initiate contact).
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 04:36 PM   #102
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
He could have kept walking rather than initiate physical contact (if he was the one to initiate contact).
From what I've seen the runner does try to avoid the man with the shotgun who clearly crosses the road to confront him.
Old 6th May 2020, 04:37 PM   #103
BobTheCoward
Banned

From what I've seen the runner does try to avoid the man with the shotgun who clearly crosses the road to confront him.
I would say that is the exact opposite of what he does
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 05:02 PM   #104
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Cletus and Bubba pull out a shotgun, try to stop a black jogger in the street and kill him, and this is just fine with Georgia Law Enforcement?

I promise you, if it was DeShawn and Jamal who pulled out a shotgun and tried to stop a white jogger in the street and killed him, both of their black arses would already have been tried, found guilty and be sitting on death row.

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th May 2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 6th May 2020, 05:05 PM   #105
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

The shotgunner is standing in the middle of the road. As the runner approaches the back of the pickup he goes to the right (passenger) side of the truck. The shotdunner moves across the front of the truck to intercept the runner.
Old 6th May 2020, 05:08 PM   #106
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Nope.

From the video, it is clear that he runs around the truck as though it is just another he encounters on his daily run, only to be confronted almost face-to-face with someone obstructing his progress and pointing a shotgun at him. This would be the first intimation he had of any problems. Since he is already traveling quickly, this would be a very sudden encounter, seeing a gun pointed at him from close range. It would be instinctive to try and push the gun away from him, to stop it being aimed at him. Once he has hold of the gun, he is not simply going to let go and risk being fired at. The struggle ensues and he tries to keep it pointed away. Two shots are fired during that time. Maybe one or both hit him. He turns to escape and the third shot is fired (from the second shooter in the truck who has a Magnum pistol), killing him.

I suspect the "camera car" was in league with the two in the truck. Which says to me this was a deliberate setup. They were looking for Arbery because they knew where he ran every day. They had been staking him out. But either what they didn't expect was going to be a cold-blooded murder, or they wanted a snuff movie of this kill. Either way, it is murder, they were real dumb enough to let the video get into the public domain, and they should be in jail for life.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 05:15 PM   #107
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Nope.

From the video, it is clear that he runs around the truck as though it is just another he encounters on his daily run, only to be confronted almost face-to-face with someone obstructing his progress and pointing a shotgun at him. This would be the first intimation he had of any problems. Since he is already traveling quickly, this would be a very sudden encounter, seeing a gun pointed at him from close range. It would be instinctive to try and push the gun away from him, to stop it being aimed at him. Once he has hold of the gun, he is not simply going to let go and risk being fired at. The struggle ensues and he tries to keep it pointed away. Two shots are fired during that time. Maybe one or both hit him. He turns to escape and the third shot is fired (from the second shooter in the truck who has a Magnum pistol), killing him.

I suspect the "camera car" was in league with the two in the truck. Which says to me this was a deliberate setup. They were looking for Arbery because they knew where he ran every day. They had been staking him out. But either what they didn't expect was going to be a cold-blooded murder, or they wanted a snuff movie of this kill. Either way, it is murder, they were real dumb enough to let the video get into the public domain, and they should be in jail for life.
I agree with your conclusion but

1) He doesn't seem to be running around the truck like it's an everyday occurrence. He sees the guy with the gun in the middle of the road and runs to the other side of the truck.

2) In the video I saw yesterday you can't see the initial confrontation but th e gun goes off immediately.

3) the 'camera car' was driven by a man named William Bryan and he was in leage with the two in the truck.

Last edited by whoanellie; 6th May 2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 6th May 2020, 05:21 PM   #108
BobTheCoward
Banned

It would be instinctive to try and push the gun away from him, to stop it being aimed at him.
Which is the exact opposite of "try to avoid."
Old 6th May 2020, 05:22 PM   #109
BobTheCoward
Banned

The shotgunner is standing in the middle of the road. As the runner approaches the back of the pickup he goes to the right (passenger) side of the truck. The shotdunner moves across the front of the truck to intercept the runner.
And the runner failed to avoid contact in that situation.
Old 6th May 2020, 05:22 PM   #110
Meadmaker

I agree with your conclusion but

1) He doesn't seem to be running around the truck like it's an everyday occurrence. He sees the guy with the gun in the middle of the road and runs to the other side of the truck.

2) In the video I saw yesterday you can't see the initial confrontation but th e gun goes off immediately.

3) the 'camera car' was driven by a man named William Bryan and he was in leage with the two in the truck.
I would have to watch the video again, which I'm not going to do right at the moment, but I would agree. I noticed his gait at the time he approached the truck did not seem to be a jogger's gait. He appeared to rapidly run to the right side of the truck, with a sudden change of direction and high step.

At least, that's what I thought as I watched the video.
Old 6th May 2020, 05:29 PM   #111
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

And the runner failed to avoid contact in that situation.
Whenever I am being chased by one car towards two armed men in a pickup, one of whom is clearly moving towards me with a shotgun my first thought is always 'these people must have the best of intentions but I need to do everything humanly possible to avoid contact......'
Old 6th May 2020, 05:31 PM   #112
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I would have to watch the video again, which I'm not going to do right at the moment, but I would agree. I noticed his gait at the time he approached the truck did not seem to be a jogger's gait. He appeared to rapidly run to the right side of the truck, with a sudden change of direction and high step.

At least, that's what I thought as I watched the video.
That's what I see.
Old 6th May 2020, 05:36 PM   #113
Mike!

Nope.

The highlited is not correct. The third shot is from the shotgun, it can be seen all too clearly in the video. I have to ask if someone here knows enough about shotguns, is there such a thing as a "semi-automatic" shotgun? I've always thought you had to engage some kind of action to ready the next shell, yet this one seems to let three rounds in a row go in a struggle. I'd rather not go back and rewatch this again. The part that's truly disturbing to me is the calm, nonchalant way the shooter steps away afterward. Yeah, these guys need to go to jail forever.
Old 6th May 2020, 05:49 PM   #114
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The highlited is not correct. The third shot is from the shotgun, it can be seen all too clearly in the video. I have to ask if someone here knows enough about shotguns, is there such a thing as a "semi-automatic" shotgun? I've always thought you had to engage some kind of action to ready the next shell, yet this one seems to let three rounds in a row go in a struggle. I'd rather not go back and rewatch this again. The part that's truly disturbing to me is the calm, nonchalant way the shooter steps away afterward. Yeah, these guys need to go to jail forever.
Yeah, they make semi-auto shotguns. Pumps are more common and cheaper so you see them more
Old 6th May 2020, 07:06 PM   #115
Bogative
Master Poster

Yep, just as expected, a complete and utter **** show here at the ISF – entertaining, but still a **** show.

On display is the normal prejudice, bigotry and racism towards southern white men. Lack of reading comprehension or the normal laziness of not bothering to read the links provided.

Accusing the DA of being part of the good ole boys club because he did not arrest two white guys for shooting a black guy just because they were white and the victim was black.

Accusations of the three men involved intentionally setting up an ambush so they can shoot a black guy. "****** hunting" as another poster describes it. That just points out a small portion of the absurdities in this thread.

The saddest part is how many people here actually believe this all started because some black guy was jogging down the street.

For those who are too lazy to read links provided in this thread, here's how it actually started:
Quote:
Arbery had been seen recently on surveillance video in the neighborhood, according to the first caller. Neither call specifies a crime Arbery might have committed.

“There’s a guy in the house right now; it’s under construction,” the man told the dispatcher.

The man then gave her an address.

“And you said someone’s breaking into it right now?” the dispatcher asked.

“No,” the man replied, “it’s all open. It’s under construction … “

The man interrupted to say Arbery was leaving. “And there he goes right now.”

“Ok,” the dispatcher said, “What is he doing?”

“He’s running down the street,” the man said. The next sentence is garbled.

“That’s fine,” the dispatcher said. “I’ll get (police) out there. I just need to know what he was doing wrong. Was he just on the premises and not supposed to be?”

The next sentence is garbled. “And he’s been caught on camera a bunch at night. It’s kind of an ongoing thing. The man building the house has got heart issues. I think he’s not going to finish it."
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 07:31 PM   #116
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I really want to hear one of the apologist fan-fiction their way out of that unavoidable implication of what they are suggesting.

It's either that or Bobs "Well he should have just gotten out of the way" defense.
Old 6th May 2020, 07:42 PM   #117
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Yep, just as expected, a complete and utter **** show here at the ISF – entertaining, but still a **** show.

On display is the normal prejudice, bigotry and racism towards southern white men. Lack of reading comprehension or the normal laziness of not bothering to read the links provided.

Accusing the DA of being part of the good ole boys club because he did not arrest two white guys for shooting a black guy just because they were white and the victim was black.

Accusations of the three men involved intentionally setting up an ambush so they can shoot a black guy. "****** hunting" as another poster describes it. That just points out a small portion of the absurdities in this thread.

The saddest part is how many people here actually believe this all started because some black guy was jogging down the street.

For those who are too lazy to read links provided in this thread, here's how it actually started:
Let me begin by saying where we agree, and this time this isn't the sort of "trick opening" that I used in my first post. I agree that this thread has shown a lot or prejudice against white, southern, men, and that there is a lot of speculation on things that are not in evidence.

However, even after dismissing all of that speculation, there is the evidence that is before our eyes, and that evidence is quite damning.

If you use a gun to threaten someone, then two things happen.

1) You have committed a crime. There are some narrow exceptions, but those narrow exceptions clearly are not present in this case. For example, believing, rightly or wrongly, that the person you are threatening has recently committed a crime, is not an allowed exception.

2) You have created a reasonable fear that the person you are threatening is in danger of death or extreme bodily harm, which creates a right of self defense. There's no such thing as "mutual self defense" in the eyes of the law. If I attack someone, and they defend themselves, I don't gain a right to shoot them and claim self defense. Whatever happens, such as the death of the person I attacked, or of a bystander is a consequence of my attack, and I am considered culpable, even if I didn't actually dkill the person myself. (e. g. a famous case involved person A committing an armed robbery. Person B, a witness to the robbery, attempted to shoot person A. Person B missed, and the bullet struck person C, killing her. Person A was convicted of murdering person C, and the conviction was upheld.)

So, the only possible defense that the men in the pickup could try to mount would be that they did not actually threaten the jogger. Based on what we see in the video, that strikes me as a rather outlandish claim.

I'll leave it to the officials in Georgia to determine exactly what crime has been committed, but there has been a crime, and someone ended up dead as a result of the crime. That's usually rather rough for the defendants.

As noted before, we shouldn't rush to judgement as such. They get their day in court to explain why it made perfect sense for them to block the path of a man while brandishing a shotgun, and that it wasn't really assault to do so, but I'm pretty sure that if their lawyer is worth what he is being paid, he'll try to plea bargain it away from murder. In order to have a prayer of that succeeding, they better have some really good evidence that the guy was actually a criminal of some sort, and his crime was more serious than trespassing.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 6th May 2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 6th May 2020, 07:43 PM   #118
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post

Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 07:52 PM   #119
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I have noticed an interesting kind of apologetics for patently **** and or dumb behaviour lately. Saw it with Trump’s disinfectant comments where the most hyperbolic or pedantically literal interpretations of the event are attacked ferociously and the clear facts of the case ignored. We see it here too. Absolutely bad takes should be held to account but I am taking issue with a dishonest propaganda game.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 6th May 2020 at 07:53 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 09:03 PM   #120
a_unique_person

The car was chasing him. Did you expect him to go trespassing?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events