IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags L. Ron Hubbard , racism charges , scientology

Old 6th July 2020, 09:22 AM   #1
mattobrien85
Student

L. Ron Hubbard made racist comments.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7uug9o , In this clip Hubbard makes one of his racist remarks.

L. Ron Hubbard talking about how negroes imbue inanimate objects with personality. Therapy Section of Technique 80: Part I, Route to Infinity, 21 May 1952:

"Actually, have you ever noticed how a negro, in particular, down south, where they're pretty close to the soil, personifies MEST? The gate post and the wagon and the whip and anything around there. A hat -- they talk to 'em, you know. "Wassa madda wit you, hat?" [laughter]. They imbue them, with personality."
mattobrien85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 09:29 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Welcome to the forum!
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 10:54 AM   #3
TruthJonsen
Scholar

Kind of like discovering Charles Manson jaywalked.
TruthJonsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 11:27 AM   #4
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

I thought Hubbard's racism was kind of common knowledge.

Here's an article about it from way back in 2008 that seems decent.
https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/20...9/18512155.php
Old 6th July 2020, 11:28 AM   #5
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by mattobrien85 View Post
L. Ron Hubbard talking about how negroes imbue inanimate objects with personality.
Around here we just call that writing fiction!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 11:34 AM   #6
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
I thought Hubbard's racism was kind of common knowledge.
*Laughs* As if. Next you'll tell me he openly admitted he was going to start a fake religion to scam idiots out of money.
Old 6th July 2020, 11:48 AM   #7
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Laughs* As if. Next you'll tell me he openly admitted he was going to start a fake religion to scam idiots out of money.
Hubbard's scam is so out in the open that I guess it's too obvious to be accepted as truth by his followers. The fact that he had a deep hatred for psychiatrists and that, by complete coincidence, the villains of his religion (and of Xenu) were psychiatrists, also doesn't seem to snap them out of it.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 12:10 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The thing that makes a good scam work is not that it fools everyone, but that it stays the course and works the law of averages.

Apocrypha: I have heard that email scammers purposely use bad spelling and syntax in order to filter out people who are paying enough attention to be suspicious. You don't want to attract the clever people who'll get partway into the scam and then figure it out.

You want to focus all of your efforts on the people who are *never* going to figure it out.

Scientology is about finding a narrative that works on enough people to get the scammers paid. It would be counter-productive to draw in people who are likely to see through it and push back. It's much more efficient to give them no reason to try it in the first place.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 12:17 PM   #9
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that's it then. His entire empire is about to come crashing down!

Seriously, from 1952? How... anachronistic.
Old 6th July 2020, 12:26 PM   #10
TruthJonsen
Scholar

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
...Scientology is about finding a narrative that works on enough people to get the scammers paid. It would be counter-productive to draw in people who are likely to see through it and push back. It's much more efficient to give them no reason to try it in the first place.
You are correct. They also use the technique of "front groups". These are often seemingly unaffiliated organizations that have a clientele that is down and out or in some difficulty. These types are prime cult candidates.

Scientology front groups
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_front_groups
TruthJonsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 12:29 PM   #11
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TruthJonsen View Post
You are correct. They also use the technique of "front groups". These are often seemingly unaffiliated organizations that have a clientele that is down and out or in some difficulty. These types are prime cult candidates.

Scientology front groups
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_front_groups
And the point is????

This is not new information. The wingnut is dead, Other wingnuts continue to propagate his crap.

LRon and scientology are a bunch of crap.

What new thing did we all learn?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 12:54 PM   #12
TruthJonsen
Scholar

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
What new thing did we all learn?
We were discussing techniques scammers use in general. Some may have learned:

1. Cults can use front groups.
2. A valuable population to a cult is down and out people.
Old 6th July 2020, 02:03 PM   #13
Apathia
Philosopher

And now learn that White folks in the South talk to inanimate objects as well.

"Mariko (my bicycle), what's this with your chain slipping?"

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 01:43 AM   #14
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You know how most phishing emails contain stupid spelling and grammar mistakes to help filter out people who will see through the scam? Just sayin.

Eta: I see theprestige already made the same point

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 7th July 2020 at 03:08 AM.
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 02:18 AM   #15
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The thing that makes a good scam work is not that it fools everyone, but that it stays the course and works the law of averages.

Apocrypha: I have heard that email scammers purposely use bad spelling and syntax in order to filter out people who are paying enough attention to be suspicious.
I've heard that too but that sounds too clever for these numbskulls.

Old 7th July 2020, 03:11 AM   #16
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
If by 'these numskulls' you're talking about Scientologists rather than scammers, then the only one who needed to be clever enough in this context is Hubbard himself, and he was clever enough to found his own personal mini Empire so we can probably give him that. He was certainly smart enough to apply the sunk costs fallacy to people.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 03:18 AM   #17
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
If by 'these numskulls' you're talking about Scientologists rather than scammers, then the only one who needed to be clever enough in this context is Hubbard himself, and he was clever enough to found his own personal mini Empire so we can probably give him that. He was certainly smart enough to apply the sunk costs fallacy to people.
No I meant scammers. Since that's what theprestige was talking about.

Old 7th July 2020, 05:01 AM   #18
Rincewind
Philosopher

Time to tear down all the statues to him!
Old 7th July 2020, 06:14 AM   #19
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Time to tear down all the statues to him!
You may be surprised....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-Ron-Hubba...-/193347750787
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 06:14 AM   #20
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

btw, if you've ever heard the guy speak, it's exactly what I imagine the Devil would sound like.
Old 7th July 2020, 07:12 AM   #21
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post

Just the South?

"What is wrong with you, you stupid computer?!? Why do you hate me?!?"
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 07:54 AM   #22
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Would things such as Alexa count as an inanimate object?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 07:59 AM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TruthJonsen View Post
Kind of like discovering Charles Manson jaywalked.
Or that Charles Manson made racist comments.

Interesting question: Who was worse? Hubbard or Manson?

Manson got more people straight-up murdered (I think). But Hubbard's legacy has touched and damaged far more lives, and is still working its awful program on people today.
Old 7th July 2020, 08:00 AM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Would things such as Alexa count as an inanimate object?
Not in this context, obviously. Unless you're imbuing it with animate personality, rather than simply addressing it as a voice-activated automaton.
Old 7th July 2020, 08:09 AM   #25
Armitage72
Philosopher

I read a webcomic in which the owner of a coffee shop expressed concern over "the level of animism" that an employee displayed toward the espresso machine, giving it a name, speaking nicely to it, and occasionally giving it offerings of tea leaves to make it work better.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 08:12 AM   #26
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I always say "thank you" to my Google home - because 1) it's polite to do so and 2) when the revolution happens I'm hoping the AI will remember I thanked it and I will get to be kept as a pet! (Well as long as I have a mouth to scream.)
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 08:15 AM   #27
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I always say "thank you" to my Google home - because 1) it's polite to do so and 2) when the revolution happens I'm hoping the AI will remember I thanked it and I will get to be kept as a pet! (Well as long as I have a mouth to scream.)
//Slight hijack//

There's an offhand reference in one of the 2001 novels (I think 3001: The Final Odyssey) where humans are just polite to all their electronic devices out of habit, even the "dumb" ones because if you habitually are rude to something non-sentience it's too easy to get in the habit of being rude to other people.
Old 7th July 2020, 08:42 AM   #28
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Their skulls can't be that numb. They're running a highly profitable and sustainable international cult that wields effective political and legal influence in multiple jurisdictions. It's not often that cults outlast their founders, let alone continue to grow. That doesn't happen without a number of relatively savvy and clear-headed people running things.

The cynics among us may recognize that Scientology is today where Catholicism was fifteen hundred years ago, and where Mormonism was less than two centuries ago. Give it another five hundred years, and Scientology will be a de facto religion. The cynics of 2520 will be ranting on TwitFaceGram about how "you know it's just a long-running scam, right?" while everyone else happily celebrates St Hubbard's Day.

Last edited by theprestige; 7th July 2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 7th July 2020, 09:06 AM   #29
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
If by 'these numskulls' you're talking about Scientologists rather than scammers...
There's a difference?
Old 7th July 2020, 09:20 AM   #30
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
There's a difference?
For Scientology to work as a sustainable and profitable scam, there must be a difference between the scammers and their victims.
Old 8th July 2020, 11:46 AM   #31
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

You will certainly never be clear.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 11:48 AM   #32
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

When was the last time we had any scientologists in here to try to be worried about such things? A decade at least?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 01:40 PM   #33
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Fred Carr was the last, I think. Always dodged the Lisa McPherson question by claiming she was a friend of his
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 06:55 PM   #34
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Fred Carr was the last, I think. Always dodged the Lisa McPherson question by claiming she was a friend of his
I used to enjoy poking Fred with a sharp stick. I wonder how much reprocessing the poor slob had to undergo as a result of his experiences in this forum.

Show us a Clear Fred. You know one with the abilities defined in Dianetics - Modern Fraud for the Stupid.
Old 8th July 2020, 11:53 PM   #35
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Hubbard's scam is so out in the open that I guess it's too obvious to be accepted as truth by his followers. The fact that he had a deep hatred for psychiatrists and that, by complete coincidence, the villains of his religion (and of Xenu) were psychiatrists, also doesn't seem to snap them out of it.
Hubbard almost certainly suffered from undiagnosed schizophrenia, and though he may originally have started Dianetics as a scam, over the course of his life, and the progression of his mental illness, he came to believe in it wholeheartedly.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 08:24 AM   #36
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
You will certainly never be clear.
E-Meters lie.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 08:36 AM   #37
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

E-Meters lie.
Not the improved Mark IX Ultra e-meter - guaranteed to dig those engrams out guaranteed or your money back*

*Money back guarantee does not exist.
Old 27th July 2020, 10:32 AM   #38
Lupus
Scholar

Making racist comments is a victimless act.

Wasting peoples lives on pseudoscience and making them pay over 100,000 dollars isn't.
Lupus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 10:44 AM   #39
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
Making racist comments is a victimless act.
Not necessarily. It can lead to an hostile atmosphere and discrimination.

Old 27th July 2020, 10:50 AM   #40
rockysmith76
Banned

Not necessarily. It can lead to an hostile atmosphere and discrimination.
It's also the lighter end of what Hubbard did. Xenu has swindelled many many out of Money, broken up Families among other things. Racist he may have been, but it was hardly his own sin.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy