IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , racism incidents , racism issues , sports incidents

Old 9th December 2020, 02:57 AM   #1
Mr Fied
Muse

Racism or misunderstanding?

During a champions league match between PSG and Istanbul Basaksehir last night, the game was postponed when both sets of players walked off the pitch after an alleged racist phrase was used by an official.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/1...nd-basaksehir/

Quote:
The furious reaction from the players and benches on the field stems from the context and the tone of what was said as he allegedly referred to someone on the bench as “the black one” which has understandably not gone down well.
The official involved has ben quoted as saying:
Quote:
Sebastian Colţescu picked up on Téléfoot Chaine footage: "Negru in Romanian means black. I am not a racist."
Quote:
Istanbul forward Demba Ba, who was a substitute, could be seen on the touchline asking the official: "Why, when you mention a black guy, do you have to say this black guy?"
It was alleged that a member of Istanbul's coaching staff was involved in an incident and to point him out to the referee
Coltescu used one of the descriptions above.

With all the recent BLM campaign and with most football matches starting with players taking the knee to highlight racism, is this a case of overt racism, over sensitivity or just an over reaction to a translation problem?

Last edited by Mr Fied; 9th December 2020 at 03:01 AM.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 03:11 AM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Over reaction.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 03:20 AM   #3
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

There is undoubtedly racism on view at football matches, and I’m sure in some cases it might be seen when it wasn’t intended. Without full details it’s hard to be sure which, though the situation described sounds like the old joke about two country simpletons trying to decide how to tell two horses apart.

I saw the documentary by Anton Ferdinand about the incident with John Terry the other day ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000pzpr ). I am entirely sympathetic to people who constantly face insults based purely on the colour of their skin; any reference to that, even innocently, is going to come with the baggage of abuse they have suffered. John Terry was seen to have called Ferdinand a ‘black ****’, though Ferdinand was not aware of it at the time. On the other hand, Ferdinand freely admits to calling Terry a ‘****’ (same word) beforehand (though we don’t know if Terry heard that). Does adding the descriptive ‘black’ make it racist?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 04:50 AM   #4
Mr Fied
Muse

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
There is undoubtedly racism on view at football matches, and I’m sure in some cases it might be seen when it wasn’t intended. Without full details it’s hard to be sure which, though the situation described sounds like the old joke about two country simpletons trying to decide how to tell two horses apart.

I saw the documentary by Anton Ferdinand about the incident with John Terry the other day ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000pzpr ). I am entirely sympathetic to people who constantly face insults based purely on the colour of their skin; any reference to that, even innocently, is going to come with the baggage of abuse they have suffered. John Terry was seen to have called Ferdinand a ‘black ****’, though Ferdinand was not aware of it at the time. On the other hand, Ferdinand freely admits to calling Terry a ‘****’ (same word) beforehand (though we don’t know if Terry heard that). Does adding the descriptive ‘black’ make it racist?
I grew up going to football in the 70's and racism was rife.

There was a large right wing influence from places like the National Front and later he BNP .

Fans would even abuse black players from their own team. I wouldn't say it has been eradicated by any means but at least now it is rare enough that when it happens it is a big news story rather than the norm.

Re; the Ferdinand/terry incident, as I recall the lip reading experts couldn't agree on exactly what was said or in what context and Terry was found not guilty in court. Then the FA held their own inquiry where they found him guilty.

In court no witness testified to hearing any racist insults although Ferdinand did admit under oath to insulting Terry's mother as well as calling him a ****. Although having played football (to a very minor level) and refereed to semi pro level this sort of thing is quite normal, and I would suspect most pro players would accept this as part of the job.

Yes, I would say using "black" in the context Terry was accused of would be racist, but to brand someone as racist should require enough evidence for that to be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 04:51 AM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Regarding the Terry example. From your description I'd say a good test is "Does the black add to anything bar the insult?" In this instance it doesn't so why add it? It is being used as part of the insult, so yes it is racist. I can understand the person using it may not realise it was racist but given the focus UK football has had in regards to racism I would say this Terry bloke is thick as pig **** if he doesn't understand it was racist.

As to the football official, if it was simply used as a neutral descriptor then it wasn't racist.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 05:51 AM   #6
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

If race doesn't matter whey is it that people never get upset and call people "white ####"?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 06:34 AM   #7
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I started off thinking, if the explanation given is found to be accurate, then it's laziness on the part of the 4th official (after all, why couldn't he just point and say "that guy over there"?) followed by over reaction.

Then, I reconsidered Darats comment regarding the descriptor and thought, when you apply Darats "test" it can be said that there was no need to use the descriptor in any case. That being the case it's racist.

Then I read what I just wrote and thought, "what if somebody took offence at the use of the gender specific descriptor (that guy) in my suggested alternative?". If that might happen then avoiding such terms is a good strategy. Now we're somewhere between, racist and bigoted. Maybe pointing specifically at the transgressor and saying nothing is the only way out of this with ones reputation intact.

Then, I read what just wrote and thought, "some cultures do not like to be pointed at and some religions find it an insult depending on which finger is used". Then we are now at racist and bigoted. Maybe he should have just walked up to the transgressor and indicated with his head.

Then I read what I just wrote and thought, "perhaps that move might have been threatening". Now were at hostile.

Then I thought, "the problem isn't that there may be some merit to the accusation levelled against the 4th official. The problem is that there are any number of actors who can and will spin any negative situation, in this case the impending red card, to create a situation where prejudice is the only motivation.

Then I thought, "we're ******, they've gained a foothold and the creep has started and, having done so, is slowing down and reversing any, however small, advances made in human relations".
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 06:44 AM   #8
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
If race doesn't matter whey is it that people never get upset and call people "white ####"?
I've been called "mat salleh", in Malaysia - not quite at the level you describe but it's no compliment.

In SE Asia, I've been call "farang" and "Farang khi nok" - the latter basically calling me a piece of ****.

Sometimes the insulter wasn't even "upset"!

What was your question again?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 06:57 AM   #9
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Darling, Romanians. You know what they're like.
Old 9th December 2020, 07:04 AM   #10
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
What makes you think they don't?
Old 9th December 2020, 07:10 AM   #11
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mr Fied View Post
During a champions league match between PSG and Istanbul Basaksehir last night, the game was postponed when both sets of players walked off the pitch after an alleged racist phrase was used by an official.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/1...nd-basaksehir/

The official involved has ben quoted as saying:

It was alleged that a member of Istanbul's coaching staff was involved in an incident and to point him out to the referee
Coltescu used one of the descriptions above.

With all the recent BLM campaign and with most football matches starting with players taking the knee to highlight racism, is this a case of overt racism, over sensitivity or just an over reaction to a translation problem?

Probably racist. Why would he need to refer the 'Black'? It's as though he saying, you might be a well paid famous footballer and me an 'umble linesman but I'm going to put you in your place and call you 'the Black'.

Having been a season ticket holder at both QPR and Aston Villa, it hasn't been my impression that football fans are particularly racist. Sure you have the loud macho assertions of supremacy with plenty of sexism and homophobia (and Yid slurs when playing Spurs). Some of the language is absolutely filthy but more in a bawdy amusing way. Football fans are very witty and the banter is part of the enjoyment. (For example, when every Rangers fan at the Old Trafford away end sang as one - bank managers, labourers - 'Roy Keene is a wanker!'). Aston Villa fans were particularly amusing. Probably because of the droll Brummie accent. I can recall occasions seeing football fans performing nazi salutes but this was relatively rare and I honestly can't remember race hatred.

However, it really hit home just how 'cultural' English football fandom is, whilst at a testimonial match for a retiring QPR player (I think it was Simon Barker). Having been used to aggressive macho sexist loud male voices asserting superiority and arm chair coaching ('Go on my son, down the right, pass it to X, shoot!') the most pleasant football match I ever attended was this particular testimonial game, against the Jamaica national team, who wanted a few friendly games in England ahead of their (first?) World Cup appearance. Not surprisingly, being in Shepherd's Bush and a World Cup team, the place was packed to the rafters with West Indian fans. Every time the Jamaica team went forward, a murmur and hum filled the air rather than shouting and yelling. It was such a nice change. Great atmosphere. No aggression.

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 07:20 AM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I don't know if it racism but an on-field official not just using the names of the players during a call and using a descriptive term is weird and I don't know why they would do it.
Old 9th December 2020, 08:24 AM   #13
Mr Fied
Muse

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I don't know if it racism but an on-field official not just using the names of the players during a call and using a descriptive term is weird and I don't know why they would do it.
It was one of the coaches not a player.

If it had been a normal league game in the officials own country he may well have known the coaches name, as it was a champions league game between teams from different countries and officials from a neutral country he may well have not known the guys name.

I'm not sure of the situation at the exact time it happened as to whether there was more than one black guy in the group where the official was identifying him.

Is referring to someone's colour as a means of identification the norm in Romania? I don't know.

I know there are differences in how words are used for descriptive purposes in different countries.

e.g. In the UK we refer to the Australians (esp in cricket) as the Aussies. I have heard Australians refer to the Pakistani cricket team as the Paki's. This would be seen to be highly offensive and extremely racist if used in the UK.

Last edited by Mr Fied; 9th December 2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 9th December 2020, 08:49 AM   #14
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

In American football, when an offense or penalty is called, the ref announces it by referencing the players jersey number. The ref's personal/artistic impressions don't come into calling the player. Is that really such a high behavioral bar?

Eta: should he call other players 'the ugly one'? 'That long-hair'? 'That tight little package with legs for days'?

Last edited by Thermal; 9th December 2020 at 08:51 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 08:56 AM   #15
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I started off thinking, if the explanation given is found to be accurate, then it's laziness on the part of the 4th official (after all, why couldn't he just point and say "that guy over there"?) followed by over reaction.

Then, I reconsidered Darats comment regarding the descriptor and thought, when you apply Darats "test" it can be said that there was no need to use the descriptor in any case. That being the case it's racist.

..snip..".

My test (and please note it is 28p each time you use it or you can opt in for a monthly subscription and have unlimited uses), was more to do with it being amended to an insult.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 08:58 AM   #16
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
What makes you think they don't?
Seriously you've heard white people call each other "you white ****"? Apart from when the discussion is like this one I've never heard it used in anger.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:03 AM   #17
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
In American football, when an offense or penalty is called, the ref announces it by referencing the players jersey number. The ref's personal/artistic impressions don't come into calling the player. Is that really such a high behavioral bar?
It wasn't a player, it was a member of the coaching staff.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 09:07 AM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Mr Fied View Post
It was one of the coaches not a player.
It was someone on the field in an official capacity. It wasn't a fan or a spectator, so I'm not seeing the difference.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:13 AM   #19
3point14
Pi

If there are two blokes sitting side by side over there and you want to indicate one of them to the person you're talking to, it's fine to use a distinguishing characteristic: The tall one, the short one, the one with long hair or, indeed, the black one or the white one. I don't see that as an issue.

Of course, if you both know their names, that has to be easier. If they have numbers on their clothing then that's definitely going to be easier.

The moment you add an insult to the end of it, it becomes more tricky. You might get away with 'you lanky bastard' or 'you blonde haired git', but the moment you consider using a racial characteristic along with an insult you should really stop and think again and maybe come up with something less charged and more poetic.

I've always said it doesn't matter so much what you say as what you mean, which is why you can get away with calling your friends all sorts of things that would result in a punch up if you used them on strangers. One should not expect or receive such latitude with people who aren't close friends.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 09:14 AM   #20
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Regarding the Terry example. From your description I'd say a good test is "Does the black add to anything bar the insult?" In this instance it doesn't so why add it? It is being used as part of the insult, so yes it is racist.
I would agree with you, especially after thinking about it more since seeing the programme. It's just that, at first sight, the other word involved strikes me (as a white person, of course) as more insulting than the word 'black'. However, I can understand why the latter is highly charged.
Quote:
I can understand the person using it may not realise it was racist but given the focus UK football has had in regards to racism I would say this Terry bloke is thick as pig **** if he doesn't understand it was racist.
You may well be on to something...

Quote:
As to the football official, if it was simply used as a neutral descriptor then it wasn't racist.
Yes, it all depends exactly what was said, and who heard what. It could be that someone heard 'Negru' and thought it was a different word.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:15 AM   #21
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pointing out how simple it is to not refer to someone as 'the _____ one'. There are non-offensive means of address available to all.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:16 AM   #22
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

People have names which is exactly why using a "descriptor" for them is problematic.

Everyone stopping splitting hairs about the descriptor used.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:16 AM   #23
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Seriously you've heard white people call each other "you white ****"? Apart from when the discussion is like this one I've never heard it used in anger.
I was giving the poster the benefit of not assuming that they believe the only humans who qualify as "people" are white.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:16 AM   #24
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

It was someone on the field in an official capacity. It wasn't a fan or a spectator, so I'm not seeing the difference.
Because they wouldn't have had a number or their name on their back.

I was responding to this
Quote:
In American football, when an offense or penalty is called, the ref announces it by referencing the players jersey number.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:18 AM   #25
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm not sure if I'm ready to go down the "Now prove to me its reasonable that someone on one team should just be expected to know the actual names of the people on the opposing team" rabbit hole.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:19 AM   #26
Mr Fied
Muse

One team from France, the other from Turkey, the officials from Romania.

I think it is reasonable to assume the officials may not have been familiar with the names of the coaching staff apart from maybe the head coach of each side.
From this picture it doesn't look like there were any other black members of the coaching staff.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:21 AM   #27
3point14
Pi

I'm not sure if I'm ready to go down the "Now prove to me its reasonable that someone on one team should just be expected to know the actual names of the people on the opposing team" rabbit hole.
There are 46 potentially active players on each side at an NFL game. And they're wearing helmets a lot of the time. I wouldn't expect any official to learn them all. Which is why they have numbers.

Even the 16 or 17 players in an Association Football squad is going to be tricky. They have number too.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 09:21 AM   #28
Cavemonster
Philosopher

I don't know the norms and history and culture around racial description in the sport or countries involved.

But I would be surprised if BOTH teams reacted so strongly on the scene if there was nothing to it. They DO have all of that context and more. Any disingenuous motivation one team might have, you wouldn't expect it from both.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 09:24 AM   #29
Ron Obvious
Graduate Poster

As I recall, it was the Romanian fourth official who was the person accused of saying something racist by referring to the "black player" as the one who should receive the yellow card, "black" in a Latin-origin language being some variant of "Negro", of course.

Massive overreaction, IMO. No more racist than any other physical descriptor to single out which one you mean in a group.

The usual suspects will predictably disagree.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:25 AM   #30
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The article is not overly clear, but I can see one instance where this might make a little bit of sense, although still insensitive as all hell.

Dozen or so guys in one area of the bench, dressed plus or minus in the same team colors. Only one is a black guy. If the ref is at some kind of distance, he might say 'the black one', meaning 'of that group of which the most unique characteristic to single him out at a distance is that he is black'.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:26 AM   #31
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Did you read the OP? The person being identified as 'black' is a member of the coaching team. The two teams are from different countries (France and Turkey), and do not regularly play one another. The fourth official involved is from Romania. He might be expected to know most of the players by name, but it's a bit of stretch to expect him to know all the coaching teams.

As I've already said, I'm not forming an opinion without further information on whether what he said was racist, just pointing out that some of the alternative ways suggested here to identify which of two people he was referring to were not necessarily available to him.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:27 AM   #32
Mr Fied
Muse

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
If there are two blokes sitting side by side over there and you want to indicate one of them to the person you're talking to, it's fine to use a distinguishing characteristic: The tall one, the short one, the one with long hair or, indeed, the black one or the white one. I don't see that as an issue.

Of course, if you both know their names, that has to be easier. If they have numbers on their clothing then that's definitely going to be easier.

The moment you add an insult to the end of it, it becomes more tricky. You might get away with 'you lanky bastard' or 'you blonde haired git', but the moment you consider using a racial characteristic along with an insult you should really stop and think again and maybe come up with something less charged and more poetic.

I've always said it doesn't matter so much what you say as what you mean, which is why you can get away with calling your friends all sorts of things that would result in a punch up if you used them on strangers. One should not expect or receive such latitude with people who aren't close friends.
This, if aimed at a person you don't know I don't think it can be seen as banter or a joke.

Without an insult being added it could still be construed as insulting or racist depending on the tone of voice and the context in which it is used.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:28 AM   #33
3point14
Pi

The article is not overly clear, but I can see one instance where this might make a little bit of sense, although still insensitive as all hell.

Dozen or so guys in one area of the bench, dressed plus or minus in the same team colors. Only one is a black guy. If the ref is at some kind of distance, he might say 'the black one', meaning 'of that group of which the most unique characteristic to single him out at a distance is that he is black'.

Yes, and if they're speaking in a language where the word for black is 'negro', as it is in Spanish, and, I think, a few other languages, then that could cause an issue.

Old 9th December 2020, 09:31 AM   #34
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

That does sound like what happened, as far as I can follow the reports. More details here in some tweets after the incident. It does seem my earlier conjecture may be relevant, that he said 'black' in Romanian, which is 'negru', but what was heard was 'negro', but there is also the question of why was it necessary to specify he was black.

Quote:
Pierre Webo after being sent off to the 4th official: “Why did you say n*gro, why did you say n*gro?”

— Get French Football News (@GFFN) December 8, 2020

Demba Ba immediately after: “You never say: “This white guy.” Why when you mention a black guy, you have to say this black guy.”

One of the officials responds that it is a miscommunication relating to “Romanian language.”

— Get French Football News (@GFFN) December 8, 2020
Old 9th December 2020, 09:35 AM   #35
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

In NFL (American "football") games, the officials usually reference players by uniform number when announcing penalties. Given the typical ethnic mix of NFL teams, saying "the black one" wouldn't narrow it down much.

Last edited by CORed; 9th December 2020 at 09:37 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 09:40 AM   #36
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, and if they're speaking in a language where the word for black is 'negro', as it is in Spanish, and, I think, a few other languages, then that could cause an issue.
The ref's tweet explaining just that makes it soud like he thinks the issue is the word "negru", rather than the use of race and 'one' as an identifier, which I think is the offensive part. The ref seems not to get it.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:43 AM   #37
3point14
Pi

The ref's tweet explaining just that makes it soud like he thinks the issue is the word "negru", rather than the use of race and 'one' as an identifier, which I think is the offensive part. The ref seems not to get it.

Do you think it's inherrently racist to identify someone whose name you don't know as 'the black one' or 'the white one' or 'the chinese one' when they're sat next to someone that clearly doesn't fit that description?

ETA:

This is the US Ryder cup team, 2012

https://img.rasset.ie/00067113-1600.jpg

If you're talking to someone who knows nothing at all about golf and golfers and you want to talk about Tiger Woods and they say, 'which one's he'? then, personally, I'd have no issue saying he was the black one before resorting to 'front row, third from the right' or similar.

Last edited by 3point14; 9th December 2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:52 AM   #38
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think it's inherrently racist to identify someone whose name you don't know as 'the black one' or 'the white one' or 'the chinese one' when they're sat next to someone that clearly doesn't fit that description?
It can be, sure. Trying to put myself in that position, I might actually refer to someone at a distance as 'the black guy', in the same way I might say 'the tall guy'. You pick the trait that is uniquely identifiable at a distance to single him out. The problem is it is easily mixed up with the way a racist would refer to someone only by that trait, as if it is the only trait of note. Too easily confused, in this OP.
Old 9th December 2020, 10:01 AM   #39
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

When people look at an incident such as this (a football team walking off form a game) and it revolves around an issue of 'racism', there is a tendency for people to see the POV of the official accused but not of the player/s who took offence. Hence, it becomes an 'over-reaction' by the player or being 'over sensitive'. There is always that denial element. For example, when Millwall players 'took the knee' there was a barrage of booing from their own fans. Most of the media were shocked. Millwall fans flocked the social media to claim they were not booing black people but because of BLM 'being a marxist organisation'. Even the DAILY MAIL carried this obvious falsehood by having dug up some individual/s who had registered a company or charity name as 'BLM UK Ltd' and describing themselves as socialist. The lengths people will go to to deny the reality of racist behaviour to give the racists the benefit of a doubt.

In the case of this official, the truth will come out but you can't refer to someone as 'the Black', 'the Jew', 'the Chinese' or whatever, and not expect a double take.

~ Danzig

Last edited by Vixen; 9th December 2020 at 10:37 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 10:03 AM   #40
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
When people look at an incident such as this (a football team walking off form a game) and it revolves around an issue of 'racism', there is a tendency for people to see the POV of the official accused but not of the player/s who took offence. Hence, it becomes an 'over-reaction' by the player or being 'over sensitive'. There is always that denial element. For example, when Millwall fans 'took the knee' there was a barrage of booing from their own fans. Most of the media were shocked. Millwall fans flocked the social media to claim they were not booing black people but because of BLM 'being a marxist organisation'. Even the DAILY MAIL carried this obvious falsehood by having dug up some individual/s who had registered a company or charity name as 'BLM UK Ltd' and describing themselves as socialist. The lengths people will go to to deny the reality of racist behaviour to give the racists the benefit of a doubt.

In the case of this official, the truth will come out but you can't refer to someone as 'the Black', 'the Jew', 'the Chinese' or whatever, and not expect a double take.
Really? See my picture of the US Ryder Cup team I posted above. How do you refer to Tigert Woods when trying to point him out to someone who knows nothing of golf?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events