IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , racism incidents , racism issues , sports incidents

Old 9th December 2020, 10:08 AM   #41
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Dave Chappell had a great skit on his show where white people are trying to pick the only black guy out of a crowd without referring to the colour of his skin. The lengths they go to to remain politically correct remind me of this thread.

If the roles were reversed and the ref had of said " the white guy" everyone would be happy he was so clear and concise.

ETA: But it is football/soccer so the only real surprising thing is they all weren't rolling around on the pitch looking for a penalty for their hurt feeling.
Is all your life will ever be."

Last edited by qayak; 9th December 2020 at 10:10 AM.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 10:38 AM   #42
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Really? See my picture of the US Ryder Cup team I posted above. How do you refer to Tigert Woods when trying to point him out to someone who knows nothing of golf?
Fr row, 3rd from r.

That is the convention.

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 10:51 AM   #43
Ron Obvious
Graduate Poster

I think a lot of people, even some in here, seem to have lost the meaning of what racism actually is. Merely noticing that people look different is not it. Apparently there is so little of the real thing about these days that we have to overreact to this sort of nonsense.

That's assuming the story is as it's currently presented, of course.
Old 9th December 2020, 10:55 AM   #44
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Dave Chappell had a great skit on his show where white people are trying to pick the only black guy out of a crowd without referring to the colour of his skin. The lengths they go to to remain politically correct remind me of this thread.

If the roles were reversed and the ref had of said " the white guy" everyone would be happy he was so clear and concise.

ETA: But it is football/soccer so the only real surprising thing is they all weren't rolling around on the pitch looking for a penalty for their hurt feeling.
False dichotomy. There is no such thing as a 'white skin gene'. Colour of skin is caused by at least six different alleles, probably as many as ten or more. What you perceive as 'white' is simply a mutation in which there is a lack of melanin. The only people who have a complete or near complete lack of melanin are albinos. It could be said that Europeans are simply people who migrated from the Indian subcontinent many thousands of years ago and are just merely melanin-deficient Indians.

So, in which way is it 'politically correct' to deny there is such a thing as a 'race' based on skin colour? The most ethnically diverse populations in the world are in Africa with at least 3,000 different ethnicities. So anyone claiming a simple classification for race as being 'white' versus 'black' are the ones who are politically, biologically and factually incorrect.

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 11:01 AM   #45
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
False dichotomy. There is no such thing as a 'white skin gene'. Colour of skin is caused by at least six different alleles, probably as many as ten or more. What you perceive as 'white' is simply a mutation in which there is a lack of melanin. The only people who have a complete or near complete lack of melanin are albinos. It could be said that Europeans are simply people who migrated from the Indian subcontinent many thousands of years ago and are just merely melanin-deficient Indians.

So, in which way is it 'politically correct' to deny there is such a thing as a 'race' based on skin colour? The most ethnically diverse populations in the world are in Africa with at least 3,000 different ethnicities. So anyone claiming a simple classification for race as being 'white' versus 'black' are the ones who are politically, biologically and factually incorrect.
I never mentioned race, I mentioned colour of skin. That was one of the points Chappell was mocking.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 11:02 AM   #46
3point14
Pi

Fr row, 3rd from r.

That is the convention.
I think you're really stretching the dfinition of 'racist' to breaking point here.

There's nothing wrong with using a persons features or characteristics to identify them in a crowd. I think it's quite a contortion to consider that racist. Noticing and referring to colour or race is not, in itself, racist. I think that's a bit mad, to be honest.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 11:04 AM   #47
3point14
Pi

So, er, nobody should refer to themselves as black?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 11:14 AM   #48
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Do you think it's inherrently racist to identify someone whose name you don't know as 'the black one' or 'the white one' or 'the chinese one' when they're sat next to someone that clearly doesn't fit that description?

ETA:

This is the US Ryder cup team, 2012

https://img.rasset.ie/00067113-1600.jpg

If you're talking to someone who knows nothing at all about golf and golfers and you want to talk about Tiger Woods and they say, 'which one's he'? then, personally, I'd have no issue saying he was the black one before resorting to 'front row, third from the right' or similar.
I avoid references to race in my day to day life as much as possible. But I may be overly sensitive.

I would certainly avoid it in my professional capacity and would be shocked if others didn't. If I walk into a room with a black colleague and someone in the room refers to them as "the black one" I would be ready to leave.

Maybe it is a recent thing, but I do not ever refer to professionals I work with or around by such identifiers. I don't refer to them by the race, their gender, their physical characteristics, or anything else that may be taken in context or out of context as a slight. That's just being a professional.

But this is just soccer, not a professional sport, so maybe I'm overreacting.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 9th December 2020 at 11:16 AM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 11:19 AM   #49
Ron Obvious
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I avoid references to race in my day to day life as much as possible. But I may be overly sensitive.
Arguably, such sensitivity could itself be construed as racist.
Old 9th December 2020, 11:21 AM   #50
3point14
Pi

I would certainly avoid it in my professional capacity and would be shocked if others didn't. If I walk into a room with a black colleague and someone in the room refers to them as "the black one" I would be ready to leave.
Why? It's a defining characteristic like being tall or short or blonde. It's not offensive to notice someone's race. I find that really odd. I would guess - and it is a guess - that most of the people who you are so desperate not to refer to as black, or 'black', if you prefer, would happily refer to themselves as black either in private or in public. In professional circles, sadly, that reference may be 'I was the only black guy in the room'.

In what way do you see it as offensive to recognise someones skin colour? Perhaps this is a US thing I just don't get.

Quote:
Maybe it is a recent thing, but I do not ever refer to professionals I work with or around by such identifiers. I don't refer to them by the race, their gender, their physical characteristics, or anything else that may be taken in context or out of context as a slight. That's just being a professional.
I find this a terribly confusing attitude. I appreciate that if it was the only identifier used after knowing and working with someone for some time it's an issue. Nobody's 'the black guy' for long, becuase, pretty soon, they're 'Dave'.

Quote:
But this is just soccer, not a professional sport, so maybe I'm overreacting.

Edit:

Is it sexist to refer to the only woman in a conference room as a woman? Is there any paralell there?

Last edited by 3point14; 9th December 2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 9th December 2020, 11:32 AM   #51
BobTheCoward
Banned

So, er, nobody should refer to themselves as black?
Depends.

Here is an analogy.

Suppose you are playing monopoly and it becomes clear that the banker has been cheating against the pieces resembling inanimate objects. But all the pieces are just arbitrary shapes denoting difference in the game.

Half way through the banker says, "you caught me. I was classifying you as different pieces. We will play by the rules for here on out."

A) I would be pissed that the banker just wants to act like playing by the rules from here is a solution. B) I would be double pissed if in the process of communicating what happened, I called my group the inanimate objects and the banker said, "but all pieces are the same."
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 11:52 AM   #52
cullennz
Banned

Seems a bit OTT on the finding everything racist scale IMO.

I'm guessing the same people who find pointing out a visual difference of someone to identify them in a group racist would also not say "The woman" if the coach in question happened to be the only woman in the group, just in case their "gender identity" was a bloke.

I am pretty sure there would have been occasions in the NBA where people have said the white dude.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 11:54 AM   #53
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Why? It's a defining characteristic like being tall or short or blonde. It's not offensive to notice someone's race. I find that really odd. I would guess - and it is a guess - that most of the people who you are so desperate not to refer to as black, or 'black', if you prefer, would happily refer to themselves as black either in private or in public. In professional circles, sadly, that reference may be 'I was the only black guy in the room'.

In what way do you see it as offensive to recognise someones skin colour? Perhaps this is a US thing I just don't get.

I find this a terribly confusing attitude. I appreciate that if it was the only identifier used after knowing and working with someone for some time it's an issue. Nobody's 'the black guy' for long, becuase, pretty soon, they're 'Dave'.

Edit:

Is it sexist to refer to the only woman in a conference room as a woman? Is there any paralell there?
If there was only one black person in a group of colleagues and someone came up to me and asked me to point out “Mike” and Mike was black I would say “He’s the black guy in that group”, If they asked about “Neil” and he was a red head and was the only one I would say “He’s the red head in that group”. (Now knowing me and my problem with faces and names I would probably have the people labelled internally as “the one with red glasses” so wouldn’t have a clue who Mike or Neil was!)
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 12:01 PM   #54
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
It could be. It can also be simply considerate, not wanting to offend someone even though you intend no offense. Dr. Kieth, I am sure, falls in the latter group.
Old 9th December 2020, 12:09 PM   #55
Ron Obvious
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
It could be. It can also be simply considerate, not wanting to offend someone even though you intend no offense. Dr. Kieth, I am sure, falls in the latter group.
I suspect most black people can detect it when white people are nervous around them, afraid of making an innocent mistake. I also suspect they laugh at you behind your back.
Old 9th December 2020, 12:16 PM   #56
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It was someone on the field in an official capacity. It wasn't a fan or a spectator, so I'm not seeing the difference.
Coaches don't have numbers so he had to describe which coach he was referring to instead of providing a jersey number for the person coming the offence.
Old 9th December 2020, 12:17 PM   #57
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed. Taken a step further, people who are 'one of the guys' on my jobsites will playfully refer to each other by racial epithets and expressions all day long, and by sexual comments and all manner of crudity. But never, ever to a stranger or acquaintance who might not be so casual, because you don't want to hurt anyone with words.

Quote:
Edit:

If she is referred to as 'the woman' when her name/title are known, it might sound dismissive or objectifying, yes. If her name slipped your mind, or another party hadn't met her and you wanted to point her out, prob fine.
Old 9th December 2020, 12:23 PM   #58
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect most black people can detect it when white people are nervous around them, afraid of making an innocent mistake. I also suspect they laugh at you behind your back.
A particular HVAC tech on my site (yes, a black guy) always refers to me or any other buddy as 'my n-ah'. Being older than him, I'm not comfortable responding in kind, bc it wasn't cool to do so when I was growing up and it feels hard-wired wrong. He has no qualms about making uptight white boy jokes at my expense about it.
Old 9th December 2020, 12:27 PM   #59
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'm sure it would be a winning argument. But, I haven't seen that yet.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 12:34 PM   #60
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Why?
Because I don't think it is professional to refer to other professionals by their physical characteristics in a professional setting. Might I refer to them in such terms at the bar after work, maybe. But in a conference room when I have forgotten someone's name I don't say "Let's hear what the cute guy with the nicely pressed suit has to say about this topic" even if I think it is a compliment.

Quote:
It's a defining characteristic like being tall or short or blonde.
Again, I wouldn't use those in a professional setting either.

Quote:
It's not offensive to notice someone's race. I find that really odd. I would guess - and it is a guess - that most of the people who you are so desperate not to refer to as black, or 'black', if you prefer, would happily refer to themselves as black either in private or in public. In professional circles, sadly, that reference may be 'I was the only black guy in the room'.

Maybe it is just my profession. But I doubt you make it far in most professions these days referring to your colleagues by their physical characteristics.

Quote:
Sorry.

Quote:
Edit:

How about this: Is there any reason to define a colleague solely by their apparent gender in a professional setting?

Old 9th December 2020, 12:36 PM   #61
Planigale
Philosopher

Really? See my picture of the US Ryder Cup team I posted above. How do you refer to Tigert Woods when trying to point him out to someone who knows nothing of golf?
The one with the blonde on his arm?
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 12:40 PM   #62
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

You have 6 people clustered in a small group, all dressed similarly. Someone asks you "which one is Terry" how do you answer the question without physically describing the person?
Old 9th December 2020, 12:44 PM   #63
3point14
Pi

Because I don't think it is professional to refer to other professionals by their physical characteristics in a professional setting. Might I refer to them in such terms at the bar after work, maybe. But in a conference room when I have forgotten someone's name I don't say "Let's hear what the cute guy with the nicely pressed suit has to say about this topic" even if I think it is a compliment.
That's hardly a paralell though. You've escalated to include a compliment and a judgement call. That's ot the same thing at all.

Quote:
Again, I wouldn't use those in a professional setting either.
Really? If there was one blonde bloke in the room and someone said to you, "Which one was professer Randomname?", you wouldn't say, "Oh, he was the one with the blonde hair."? In fact, I'm stuggling to see how, in some situations like this, you'd respond to such a query without referencing physical appearance.

Quote:
Maybe it is just my profession. But I doubt you make it far in most professions these days referring to your colleagues by their physical characteristics.
Well, yes, because your colleagues know one another. When you refer to 'Dave', they'll know who you're talking about. In enviroments where not everyone is familiar with everyone else, it's only natural to say stuff like, "I don't think Nobby is here today, is he?", "Oh, yeah, he was the tall guy in the blue suit". It's practically inbuilt.

Quote:
Sorry.
For what? You're hardly going to offend anyone with this outlook. I jsut can't see it being required in any circumstance.

Quote:
How about this: Is there any reason to define a colleague solely by their apparent gender in a professional setting?
Yes.

"I've read this paper by Doctor Smith, now we're at the conference, I don't know which one is Doctor Smith"

"Oh, she's the lady." If there's one lady at the conference, and this, I would hope, doesn't happen as much as it did, that's a perfectly acceptable way of doing it.

Edit: And I think this is important, it's not 'defining'. I agree that to define someone by their physical characteristics, in almost any environment, is likely to be unacceptable. But to refer to someone by the same is fine.

Last edited by 3point14; 9th December 2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 9th December 2020, 12:46 PM   #64
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Olmstead; 9th December 2020 at 12:50 PM.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 12:49 PM   #65
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

We are talking here about a professional situation (a commercial football match) not a circle of friends. IMV it would be quite rude to refer to someone's personal characteristics in such a setting. My former firm had an annual marketing event in which they'd invite all our clients and us professional staff were expected to 'mingle' with them. If any of these clients had asked me to point out, 'Steve' or 'Mark' they would be horrified were I to say, 'He's the fat fair-haired guy over there', or 'He's the Chinese/Indian/Jewish guy'. (How do you know? He might be Korean or Japanese or even American or Pakistani or Mauritian or not Jewish at all.) What about Sue? "Oh she's that short fat lady over there", or Jim? "Oh, he's the elderly silver-haired guy'. No, I would simply take you over and introduce you properly so you can ask them for yourself how they wish you to identify them.

~ Danzig

Old 9th December 2020, 12:52 PM   #66
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

That's hardly a paralell though. You've escalated to include a compliment and a judgement call. That's ot the same thing at all.

Really? If there was one blonde bloke in the room and someone said to you, "Which one was professer Randomname?", you wouldn't say, "Oh, he was the one with the blonde hair."? In fact, I'm stuggling to see how, in some situations like this, you'd respond to such a query without referencing physical appearance.

Well, yes, because your colleagues know one another. When you refer to 'Dave', they'll know who you're talking about. In enviroments where not everyone is familiar with everyone else, it's only natural to say stuff like, "I don't think Nobby is here today, is he?", "Oh, yeah, he was the tall guy in the blue suit". It's practically inbuilt.

For what? You're hardly going to offend anyone with this outlook. I jsut can't see it being required in any circumstance.

Yes.

"I've read this paper by Doctor Smith, now we're at the conference, I don't know which one is Doctor Smith"

"Oh, she's the lady." If there's one lady at the conference, and this, I would hope, doesn't happen as much as it did, that's a perfectly acceptable way of doing it.

Edit: And I think this is important, it's not 'defining'. I agree that to define someone by their physical characteristics, in almost any environment, is likely to be unacceptable. But to refer to someone by the same is fine.
Look. Guests at these events have name badges. So just peer at their name badge, or get someone there you know to introduce you. All this stuff about having no alternative but to refer to someone as 'the Black' is just nonsense.

~ Danzig

Old 9th December 2020, 12:54 PM   #67
3point14
Pi

We are talking here about a professional situation (a commercial football match) not a circle of friends. IMV it would be quite rude to refer to someone's personal characteristics in such a setting. My former firm had an annual marketing event in which they'd invite all our clients and us professional staff were expected to 'mingle' with them. If any of these clients had asked me to point out, 'Steve' or 'Mark' they would be horrified were I to say, 'He's the fat fair-haired guy over there', or 'He's the Chinese/Indian/Jewish guy'. (How do you know? He might be Korean or Japanese or even American or Pakistani or Mauritian or not Jewish at all.) What about Sue? "Oh she's that short fat lady over there", or Jim? "Oh, he's the elderly silver-haired guy'. No, I would simply take you over and introduce you properly so you can ask them for yourself how they wish you to identify them.
I think you're being a little unrealistic. Introducing them just isn't viable or desirable in every situation. At some point you're going to come across a situation where you're going to have to describe them. In an environment where everyone's dressed the same, you're going to find that really difficult to do and not reference something physical.

It happens all the time at work. New colleagues ask me about the name on the bottom of an email they've received and who that is. I can't imagine contorting language to do that without saying what they looked like.

What people look like is how we know who they are.

There's a whole section of the brain dedicated to the 'what people look like' thing.

Go to a hospital, where the vast majority of people are in either white coats or scrubs and try sending someone up to the nurses station to find a person they've never met and don't tell them what they look like. That's not likely to go well.

Last edited by 3point14; 9th December 2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 9th December 2020, 01:04 PM   #68
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
You have 6 people clustered in a small group, all dressed similarly. Someone asks you "which one is Terry" how do you answer the question without physically describing the person?
Terry, could you come over here and talk to Mike about this project he needs your help on.

Old 9th December 2020, 01:11 PM   #69
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'd like to hear what the fat person from finance has to say? Could we hear something from the tall person from accounting? Has the bald guy from legal approved this yet?

I have a hard time seeing where you are going.

Quote:
It really isn't hard at all. It is something I started two decades ago when I had a female engineering colleague who complained about being referred to as "the girl" in meetings. It just stuck with me from then on that referring to professionals by their physical characteristics is not very professional.

Quote:
If I already know Dave well then I probably have better ways to describe him than relying on his physical characteristics.

Quote:
It may be acceptable in many instances. I find it very unprofessional and would not do so in a professional setting.

But, as I mentioned, this was soccer, not a professional sport. So my position is pretty off topic.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 9th December 2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 9th December 2020, 01:19 PM   #70
cullennz
Banned

Terry, could you come over here and talk to Mike about this project he needs your help on.
So you would yell across the room and interrupt Terry's conversation.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 01:20 PM   #71
3point14
Pi

I'd like to hear what the fat person from finance has to say? Could we hear something from the tall person from accounting? Has the bald guy from legal approved this yet?
Again, you've changed it from 'which one's Bob?'. 'Oh, he's the tall one'.

Quote:
I have a hard time seeing where you are going.

It really isn't hard at all. It is something I started two decades ago when I had a female engineering colleague who complained about being referred to as "the girl" in meetings. It just stuck with me from then on that referring to professionals by their physical characteristics is not very professional.
Yes, if it's done repeatedly in an environment where people should know who they're talking about, yes, it's offensive. I've said as much.

Quote:
If I already know Dave well then I probably have better was to describe him than relying on his physical characteristics.
Ways that are going to resonate with someone that's never met Dave?

"Oh, he's the dilligent one"?

Quote:
It may be acceptable in many instances. I find it very unprofessional and would not do so in a professional setting.
I just don't know how I'd do that consistently. "Who's this person who's signed this email? Which one's he?" is something I can normally only anwer with a physical description. I'd find it weird and difficult to do otherwise.

Again, I'm not talking about defining someone, I'm not talking about it becoming their moniker, just the whole 'which one's x' thing.

As I say, what people look like is how we know who they are. Hell, you've probably worked with a Mr Little, or a Miss Short. Names derived direclty from the physical appearance of whoever their ancestor was when surnames became required.

Old 9th December 2020, 01:22 PM   #72
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I think that this one's a misunderstanding: ‘Monster Hunter’ Movie Pulled From Chinese Cinemas After ‘Knees’ Joke Falls Flat (HuffPost, Dec. 5, 2020)
But without the racist chant, the misunderstanding wouldn't have occurred.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 01:29 PM   #73
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If there are two blokes sitting side by side over there and you want to indicate one of them to the person you're talking to, it's fine to use a distinguishing characteristic: The tall one, the short one, the one with long hair or, indeed, the black one or the white one. I don't see that as an issue.

Of course, if you both know their names, that has to be easier. If they have numbers on their clothing then that's definitely going to be easier.

The moment you add an insult to the end of it, it becomes more tricky. You might get away with 'you lanky bastard' or 'you blonde haired git', but the moment you consider using a racial characteristic along with an insult you should really stop and think again and maybe come up with something less charged and more poetic.

I've always said it doesn't matter so much what you say as what you mean, which is why you can get away with calling your friends all sorts of things that would result in a punch up if you used them on strangers. One should not expect or receive such latitude with people who aren't close friends.
"When you call me that, smile...."
Old Western Movie cliché where an old friend of the hero calls him a SOB, then a few minutes later the bad guy calls him that...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 01:45 PM   #74
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

You just expert her to drop what she's doing and come when you call? I can't imagine she'd be too pleased with that.
Old 9th December 2020, 01:55 PM   #75
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You just expert her to drop what she's doing and come when you call? I can't imagine she'd be too pleased with that.
Agreed. Instead of calling her, may be just a short whistle?
Old 9th December 2020, 01:57 PM   #76
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

If you think calling her a girl was just a simple physical description, you likely missed her point entirely. Unless she finished university at a very young age, she certainly wasn’t a “girl”. Any adult woman is likely to be insulted by being called a girl, or even treated like a your girl even if you don't call her one.
Old 9th December 2020, 02:00 PM   #77
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

It goes over better if you say "the ridiculous masculine good looking black man". Smooths it over.

That's my daily attempt at humor. Take it as you will.
Old 9th December 2020, 02:02 PM   #78
Emily's Cat

Totally sexist. We should be referred to as "the dude with the tits".

Apparently I'm trying for an extra round of bad humor today.
Old 9th December 2020, 02:05 PM   #79
Emily's Cat

They do. Or at least, my family does.
Old 9th December 2020, 02:06 PM   #80
Emily's Cat

Holler out "Yo, Terry!" and when he looks up say "That's him"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events