IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , racism incidents , racism issues , sports incidents

Old 9th December 2020, 02:10 PM   #81
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I think that this one's a misunderstanding: ‘Monster Hunter’ Movie Pulled From Chinese Cinemas After ‘Knees’ Joke Falls Flat (HuffPost, Dec. 5, 2020)
But without the racist chant, the misunderstanding wouldn't have occurred.
Huh. People really attribute a lot of malice to kids making idiotic rhymes so they can joke about boobies.
Old 9th December 2020, 02:13 PM   #82
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

This reminds me of the teacher that used a common chinese word as an example of a filler word in his attempt to be more inclusive of his international students.
Old 9th December 2020, 02:21 PM   #83
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
...If the roles were reversed and the ref had of said " the white guy" everyone would be happy he was so clear and concode...
If he said 'the white one'. as in the OP, still happy?

Not sure why, but 'one' feels solidly wronger.
Old 9th December 2020, 03:38 PM   #84
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
So you would yell across the room and interrupt Terry's conversation.
Terry was just talking to Rachel and Josh about their tennis match last week, he can catch up with them later.

I mean, we can just keep making up **** in this hypothetical, right?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 03:59 PM   #85
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Terry was just talking to Rachel and Josh about their tennis match last week, he can catch up with them later.

I mean, we can just keep making up **** in this hypothetical, right?
I don't think you are being sensitive to Terry's gender fluidity. Did you check xer desk to see how xe identifies today?
Old 9th December 2020, 04:04 PM   #86
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Again, you've changed it from 'which one's Bob?'. 'Oh, he's the tall one'.
Bob is on the left. Bob is talking to Kathy. Bob is by the fax machine. (Is that last on ageist?)

Quote:
Ways that are going to resonate with someone that's never met Dave?

"Oh, he's the dilligent one"?
Dave is the tax expert who was just telling us about his boring plan to save the company millions of dollars over the next decade.

Dave sits next to Nancy in finance.

Dave, oh you'll know when you've met Dave!

Quote:
I just don't know how I'd do that consistently. "Who's this person who's signed this email? Which one's he?" is something I can normally only anwer with a physical description. I'd find it weird and difficult to do otherwise.
And yet, here I am saying that you can do something that you have never done before. You can think of me as a crank or you can take it as a fun game. It is a bit weird at first, but I've been doing it so long it is a bit jarring when other don't.

The worst is my mother. She can't tell a story about anyone without commenting on their heritage. In fact, if their heritage is complex she never even gets to the story.

Quote:
Again, I'm not talking about defining someone, I'm not talking about it becoming their moniker, just the whole 'which one's x' thing.
Yep, I know. And I'm not talking about what you say to your friends or at the bar or in your family. I'm just talking about a professional setting. It seems unprofessional to me to refer to another professional by their physical characteristics in a professional setting.

Quote:
As I say, what people look like is how we know who they are. Hell, you've probably worked with a Mr Little, or a Miss Short. Names derived direclty from the physical appearance of whoever their ancestor was when surnames became required.
The funny thing is that how people look has little to do with who they are and how we know who they are. Especially in a professional setting.

I worked with a guy who had a somewhat common name. I was at a function and someone asked me if I knew someone of that name and I answered that I did and he was very good at topic X. The person agreed that they were expert at topic X and then clarified that the guy they were talking about was morbidly obese. Oh, no, the guy I work with is a huge health nut. Different guy.

Later I found out we were talking about the same person. He was once morbidly obese and he was now a health nut. If we had stayed away form the physical description we would have known we were talking about the same person, because his field of expertise was pretty niche. But, because we relied too much on the physical description we ended up wrong.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 9th December 2020 at 04:06 PM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 04:11 PM   #87
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I don't think you are being sensitive to Terry's gender fluidity. Did you check xer desk to see how xe identifies today?
Terry gets pissed when people assume he is gender fluid just because he is bisexual. But he's too cool to actually correct you. Dude is just the chillest.

Old 9th December 2020, 04:15 PM   #88
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Holler out "Yo, Terry!" and when he looks up say "That's him"
If you had any idea how white I was you would know that I could never pull off a "Yo, Terry!"

Old 9th December 2020, 04:15 PM   #89
Ron Obvious
Graduate Poster

Bob is on the left. Bob is talking to Kathy. Bob is by the fax machine. (Is that last on ageist?)
Oh, you mean the black guy!
Old 9th December 2020, 04:21 PM   #90
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Terry gets pissed when people assume he is gender fluid just because he is bisexual. But he's too cool to actually correct you. Dude is just the chillest.
Classic Terry. Not like Josh, who barks 'oh is that because I'm a Jew? every time you offer him a bagel. Man, I just about had it with our office drama.
Old 9th December 2020, 04:22 PM   #91
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
If you think calling her a girl was just a simple physical description, you likely missed her point entirely. Unless she finished university at a very young age, she certainly wasn’t a “girl”. Any adult woman is likely to be insulted by being called a girl, or even treated like a your girl even if you don't call her one.
To the old guys in that office we were all "the kids". That didn't bother her, just when they singled her out by gender. Girl, young lady, young woman, etc. She was an engineer with an overpriced degree and student loans to pay. She just moved through it until she could move on. But once she told me about it I started noticing it and it sort of stuck with me.

Another person I worked with about a year later was very skinny and the overweight middle aged folks in the office that were jealous would often comment on that. What they didn't know is that their coworker had massive gastrointestinal issues that meant they really couldn't gain weight, not matter how much they wanted to and they hated being called skinny or being reminded of the fact that they could not put on weight.

Over time you have enough of these experiences and you realize that very innocent comments about other people's physical attributes are not always innocent to them. They don't want to be known as the skinny one, or the female one, or the black one, or the bald one. They just want to be known or not known, move on.

In a professional setting this shouldn't be a huge ask.

But again, that is off topic because the OP is about soccer, not a professional sport.

Old 9th December 2020, 04:23 PM   #92
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

But this is just soccer, not a professional sport, so maybe I'm overreacting.

But, as I mentioned, this was soccer, not a professional sport. So my position is pretty off topic.

Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 04:24 PM   #93
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Classic Terry. Not like Josh, who barks 'oh is that because I'm a Jew? every time you offer him a bagel. Man, I just about had it with our office drama.
Don't even get him started on what qualifies as a bagel. Such a purist. His own mother, bless her heart, couldn't make a proper bagel by his standards.

Old 9th December 2020, 04:26 PM   #94
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
He's Football fluid, like Rachel. Don't judge.
Old 9th December 2020, 04:26 PM   #95
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It's my bit as a boorish American who thinks soccer is a second rate sport.

But it's just a bit. The only tickets to professional sports that I've purchased in the last ten years were to Soccer matches. Women's to be precise.

Old 9th December 2020, 04:28 PM   #96
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Agreed. The black one seems far worse than the black coach or the black assistant, but I'm not sure why.

Old 9th December 2020, 04:28 PM   #97
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

But it's just a bit. The only tickets to professional sports that I've purchased in the last ten years were to Soccer matches. Women's to be precise.
Come clean. Lingerie Match?
Old 9th December 2020, 04:28 PM   #98
Ron Obvious
Graduate Poster

Classic American inferiority complex regarding the world's most popular sport by at least an order of magnitude. No matter how much marketing money is spent or how much commercial media around the world would love it become popular, the world keeps rejecting American "football".
Old 9th December 2020, 04:29 PM   #99
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
It goes over better if you say "the ridiculous masculine good looking black man". Smooths it over.

That's my daily attempt at humor. Take it as you will.
What I wouldn't pay to work with Terry Crews.

Sorry, give me a minute.

Old 9th December 2020, 04:31 PM   #100
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
Classic American inferiority complex regarding the world's most popular sport by at least an order of magnitude. No matter how much marketing money is spent or how much commercial media around the world would love it become popular, the world keeps rejecting American "football".
Finally, you post something we can agree on. Thanks!

Old 9th December 2020, 04:31 PM   #101
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Fair enough; it just seemed an odd way to have a dig at football, since it plainly is a professional sport (3 of the 5 highest paid athletes in 2020 are football players, apparently). Second rate is a matter of opinion, of course.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 04:34 PM   #102
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Agreed. The black one seems far worse than the black coach or the black assistant, but I'm not sure why.
But that's all moot, since the original comment was in Romanian, not English.
Old 9th December 2020, 04:35 PM   #103
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Fair enough; it just seemed an odd way to have a dig at football, since it plainly is a professional sport (3 of the 5 highest paid athletes in 2020 are football players, apparently). Second rate is a matter of opinion, of course.
More of a dig at American inability to grasp the breadth of football as explained by Ron.

Old 9th December 2020, 04:37 PM   #104
3point14
Pi

I haven't. It's actually just about the only sport I watch regularly these days.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 04:48 PM   #105
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

If there are two people standing there, you card one of them, and the person recording it says "which one" I am likely to say "the black one" or "the white one" because I tend to adopt other people's speech habits when talking to them. I am also likely to use the word "guy" in place of "one."

I think in this case the "one" represents a choice of players. Not racist at all.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 06:58 PM   #106
Ron Obvious
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
If there are two people standing there, you card one of them, and the person recording it says "which one" I am likely to say "the black one" or "the white one" because I tend to adopt other people's speech habits when talking to them. I am also likely to use the word "guy" in place of "one."

I think in this case the "one" represents a choice of players. Not racist at all.
The Guardian's Football Weekly podcast addressed the issue today, with a black former footballer trying to explain why it was so terrible. Nobody else seemed very convinced, and the commenters (unbelievably, the Guardian opened comments on this article) weren't on board either.

When you've lost the Grauniad readers on an issue of racism, you must be really over the top.
Old 9th December 2020, 10:32 PM   #107
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Come clean. Lingerie Match?
Of course my lingerie matches, but that seems like something to discuss privately.

Old 9th December 2020, 11:36 PM   #108
cullennz
Banned

OK.. It's too much. The suspense is killing me.

Did the visitor find Terry and were they there to tell him they were carrying his baby after that crazy one night stand at the swapping keys, blindfolded, swinger party?

And did Terry man up. Own it and call the kid Terry junior?
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2020, 11:56 PM   #109
rdwight
Graduate Poster

I would think it's fine to use any descriptor that isn't considered offensive. I don't really see 'black' as offensive, although adding 'one' at the end doesn't help. Seems like a stretch in most settings to actively avoid using it though.

It can also be true that adding that in when it isn't necessary isn't a good look..
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2020, 01:18 AM   #110
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, you mean the black guy negro !
FIFY. So not, 'the white'?

Obviously you are going to call him by an offensive name whether he likes it or not.

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2020, 01:21 AM   #111
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

But that's all moot, since the original comment was in Romanian, not English.
Why was this official officiating at international matches speaking Romanian?

BTW 'Black' is an adjective not a noun.

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2020, 01:29 AM   #112
Mr Fied
Muse

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Maybe because he is Romanian.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2020, 01:33 AM   #113
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Did the visitor find Terry and were they there to tell him they were carrying his baby after that crazy one night stand at the swapping keys, blindfolded, swinger party?

Of course not...... he's black! It's on the babymummy now.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2020, 01:48 AM   #114
cullennz
Banned

The clue is the word before "matches" and black is an adjective and a noun from memory.

As in financially they are in the black
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2020, 02:09 AM   #115
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

What else would you expect a Romanian to speak?
Quote:

What does that have to do with anything I, or indeed anyone else, said?

It's also factually incorrect, since 'black' can be a noun, adjective or verb.
Old 10th December 2020, 02:13 AM   #116
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

What else would you expect a Romanian to speak?

What does that have to do with anything I, or indeed anyone else, said?

It's also factually incorrect, since 'black' can be a noun, adjective or verb.
Because people (not you in particular) keep saying all the official was doing was trying to describe the guy. You don't describe people as 'the Black'. So maybe there is a training gap in his communication skills.

~ Danzig

Old 10th December 2020, 02:21 AM   #117
cullennz
Banned

Because people (not you in particular) keep saying all the official was doing was trying to describe the guy. You don't describe people as 'the Black'. So maybe there is a training gap in his communication skills.
I am personally struggling to see what point you are trying to make.
Old 10th December 2020, 05:25 AM   #118
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Since he was speaking Romanian, at no point did he say, "the Black".
Old 10th December 2020, 05:32 AM   #119
metacristi
Muse

Originally Posted by Mr Fied View Post
During a champions league match between PSG and Istanbul Basaksehir last night, the game was postponed when both sets of players walked off the pitch after an alleged racist phrase was used by an official.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/1...nd-basaksehir/

The official involved has ben quoted as saying:

It was alleged that a member of Istanbul's coaching staff was involved in an incident and to point him out to the referee
Coltescu used one of the descriptions above.

With all the recent BLM campaign and with most football matches starting with players taking the knee to highlight racism, is this a case of overt racism, over sensitivity or just an over reaction to a translation problem?

It's just one of those witch hunts (more and more often seen lately) made possible by the current brand of 'progressivism' and the culture of victimization it creates. Coltescu, the referee, may have broken some UEFA rules - he should have used English or chose other words in Romanian to identify the official of the Turkish side to avoid possible problems - but it is patently absurd to accuse him of racism.

As a Romanian I can certify that the Romanian word for black is 'negru' , the real problem is way less him than the widespread culture of victimization among minorities and the never-ending multiplication of 'racism' , even minor things are 'racism' these days. Finally to claim that identifying a black guy among a group of whites as 'the black one' (what the referee said in Romanian) is racism is absurd, we do this naturally many times in similar situations, if this is 'racism' then everything we say to a black person is racism.

https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/s...281664?lang=en

Knight Tube: Brendan O'Neill on identity politics

Last edited by metacristi; 10th December 2020 at 05:34 AM.
metacristi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2020, 10:41 AM   #120
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It is a violation of the MA to dox a member of the forum. That's all I can tell you at this point. Don't PM me for more details.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events