IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , racism incidents , racism issues , sports incidents

Old 11th December 2020, 05:50 PM   #121
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Since he was speaking Romanian, at no point did he say, "the Black".
I was disappointed that none of the Romanian BLM protestors had “ Negru Lives Matter” signs.

Not even a“ viețile negre contează”sign

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2020, 11:13 AM   #122
chrispy
Graduate Poster

I remember watching a boxing match on ESPN many, many years ago. The play by play guy was trying very hard to describe who was whom as the two fighters were wearing similar trunks. Finally the color commentator Teddy Atlas said, "Oh, come on. Johnson is the black guy" (I can't rember their actual names). It made me laugh out loud, even as someone fairly sensitive to racial animus.
Old 9th January 2021, 06:27 AM   #123
metacristi
Muse

Cavani (Uruguayan footballer) went recently through a similar ordeal. To their shame the English FA rushed to punish him (at least UEFA did not immediately bend the knee in front of 'racism' accusations, as of now we still wait for a decision regarding the Romanian referee). With all respect but 'involuntary racism' is an oxymoron, this new tyranny of word policing is rather a step toward Middle Ages I'm afraid (part and parcel, the core in fact, of the 'progressivism' went astray of today; the meaning of 'racism' is diluted ad infinitum, becoming in fact a weapon to eliminate all dissenters, no matter how rational; no surprise that the result is the cancel culture more and more rampant these days).

https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/s...281664?lang=en

Knight Tube: Brendan O'Neill on identity politics

Last edited by metacristi; 9th January 2021 at 06:54 AM.
metacristi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:37 PM   #124
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Just found an interesting case reported by the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education. A teacher was placed on investigation for using censored versions of racial and sexual slurs in a hypothetical that involved a discrimination case.

https://www.thefire.org/fire-warns-u...exam-question/

Allegedly upon seeing the censored forms of the words a student 'of color' became "...“incredibly upset” and experienced “heart palpitations.”..."

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2021, 05:06 PM   #125
metacristi
Muse

UEFA has acquitted the Romanian referee(s) of racism in an announcement today, the right thing to do, this means that not everything is lost. However, they will be investigated further on lesser grounds, regarding their general handling of the situation, something which I consider justified. What i do not find sane is the obstinacy of Webo to have Coltescu punished anyways for racism (although he seems to be aware that the referee did not mean to offend), in a recent interview he said that the Romanian referee has to be severely punished for otherwise all will be soon forgotten and the thing will repeat again and so on. Basically it's another way of saying that collateral victims are acceptable since the greater goal, 'justice', is more important (but hey Stalin thought more or less on the same lines as well). I do not find this at all surprising given that this is the normal way how 'progressivism' work these days, the accusation made by some protected minorities is the verdict. That's the core of what these minorities are taught. Insane times.

https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/s...281664?lang=en

Knight Tube: Brendan O'Neill on identity politics

Last edited by metacristi; 11th February 2021 at 05:09 PM.
metacristi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events