IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ahmaud Arbery , Georgia incidents , Gregory McMichael , prosecutorial misconduct , racism charges , racism incidents , shooting incidents , Travis McMichael , William Bryan

Old 17th November 2021, 11:39 AM   #361
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Again, just to be fair: Arbery wasn't "just jogging".ook at the video of him leaving the house- that's a running full tilt sprint. And since the hillbilly boys were on the lookout for a suspected the if or trespasser or whatever, it amounts to more than some black guy jogging.
No, it doesn't amount to more than that, and it's not "being fair" to anyone but the people that killed Arbery. I don't give a **** how fast he was running. They had no idea where he was coming from at all. If, for some ****** up reason, me saying "running" is better than "jogging", then awesome lol. I'll start saying "running".

It doesn't amount to anything more than some black guy running. I didn't realize the ******* speed he was running at determines he's suspicious or whatever, but I guess that's how some people view the world.

Not defending these prices at all, but that doesn't mean we need to spin the facts. The truth is obscene enough.
Nothing is being spun. Watch the entirety of all the videos. The actual defense is saying he wasn't running that fast, he slowed down to get hit by Roddie, etc. I'm not spinning ****.

And with this and the Rittenhouse matter and others, I am losing patience with prosecutors not accusing men holding long guns "at the ready" to be brandishing, instead of carrying. Really want to start seeing formal definitions for open carry of long guns, in particular a requirement that they be slung. If handguns need to be holstered (not in firing position), so should long arms.
Duly noted.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 11:51 AM   #362
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
No, it doesn't amount to more than that, and it's not "being fair" to anyone but the people that killed Arbery. I don't give a **** how fast he was running. They had no idea where he was coming from at all. If, for some ****** up reason, me saying "running" is better than "jogging", then awesome lol. I'll start saying "running".

It doesn't amount to anything more than some black guy running. I didn't realize the ******* speed he was running at determines he's suspicious or whatever, but I guess that's how some people view the world.
Come on man. You can see the difference between saying someone was just jogging, versus someone bolting away from a house that had trespassing issues. It doesn't make the McMicheals any less guilty. It makes us more reasonable to call it what it is.

Quote:
Nothing is being spun. Watch the entirety of all the videos. The actual defense is saying he wasn't running that fast, he slowed down to get hit by Roddie, etc. I'm not spinning ****.
Absolutely ******* get the mother ******* *********** hell out of here! That's what I've taken a ton of flack for pointing out. It's a simple time over distance observation. He was, demonstrably, not moving very fast.

But again, it's only academic. Doesn't make the fat asses the slightest bit less culpable, whether Arbery was crawling or Usain Bolt flying.

Quote:
Duly noted.
If only the prosecutor would.
Old 17th November 2021, 11:59 AM   #363
plague311
Great minds think...

Come on man. You can see the difference between saying someone was just jogging, versus someone bolting away from a house that had trespassing issues. It doesn't make the McMicheals any less guilty. It makes us more reasonable to call it what it is.
It makes absolutely no difference at all because they had absolutely no idea whatsoever, for like the millionth time, where he was coming from at that time. They had no idea he had been to the house at all. Best case they had a vague idea

Absolutely ******* get the mother ******* *********** hell out of here! That's what I've taken a ton of flack for pointing out. It's a simple time over distance observation. He was, demonstrably, not moving very fast.
Ok. Again, duly noted. I haven't participated much in this thread until the end, so I'll take your word for it.

That being said, we have absolutely no idea how fast he was running when he ran past the McMichael's house. There's no video. You and I can go back and forth on this until the sun comes up, but the fact is no one knows. The only, and I mean the absolute only, one that knows is the elder McMichael. He's the one that saw him and got his gun and son.

But again, it's only academic. Doesn't make the fat asses the slightest bit less culpable, whether Arbery was crawling or Usain Bolt flying.
Nope, it doesn't. Hence why I didn't participate in that section of this thread. It's debating a point that means **** all to the entirety of the situation. He could be the Flash for all I care and it wouldn't change what happened.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 12:08 PM   #364
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Again, just to be fair: Arbery wasn't "just jogging". Look at the video of him leaving the house- that's a running full tilt sprint.
Means nothing. If he was a keen jogger (and there have been people testifying that he was), then he might have been undertaking interval training. I used to do this all the time when I was running to train for equestrian endurance riding (used to interval train my horse too).

It involves jogging for a while, sometimes even walking or resting, and then putting in a sudden burst of sprint running at full speed for 20 to 40 seconds, and then back to jogging.

Now, if he stopped at the house for a short walk around, then sprinting away from the house would be a very likely next action. It also might go some way to explaining why he was sprinting away from the house then later seen jogging. If I was interval training, that is certainly the sort of thing I might do.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 17th November 2021 at 12:13 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 12:19 PM   #365
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Means nothing. If he was a keen jogger (and there have been people testifying that he was), then he might have been undertaking interval training. I used to do this all the time when I was running to train for equestrian endurance riding (used to interval train my horse too).

It involves jogging for a while, sometimes even walking or resting, and then putting in a sudden burst of sprint running at full speed for 20 to 40 seconds, and then back to jogging.

Now, if he stopped at the house for a short walk around, then sprinting away from the house would be a very likely next action. It also might go some way to explaining why he was sprinting away from the house then later seen jogging. If I was interval training, that is certainly the sort of thing I might do.
We do the same here, usually calling it HIIT training (High Intensity Interval Training). Highly effective. But then he is not properly jogging. Jogging is a slow moving activity. You can't be a "jogger" at a full tilt windsprint.

My only issue with all this is describing accurately, and not choosing biased phrasing to feed into a specific narrative.

It means nothing in terms of the rednecks' guilt. It means a bit in terms of skeptical discussion.
Old 17th November 2021, 12:26 PM   #366
plague311
Great minds think...

It doesn't matter, it's a red herring anyway. He was running at several different speeds over the course of all of the videos that appeared throughout this trial.

What we know for absolutely sure is that Arbery NEVER took anything from the house. We know he was in the house 3 times over the course of a few months, walked around, and left. We know that the McMichael's had no idea if Arbery went to the house, but we do know that the McMichael's knew he hadn't taken anything because he had nowhere to put it.

The rate of speed that he was running means nothing at all. It has no effect on anything. You can describe it as jogging if you want. He was definitely jogging for a significantly longer period of time than he was running for sure. If you want to call it running, then call it running, but Arbery certainly wasn't "running full tilt" for the entirety of the video, or the entirety of his run.

Describe it however you want, neither is wrong. So whatever makes you guys feel better.
Old 17th November 2021, 12:31 PM   #367
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Saying the McMicheals went after Arbery just because he was jogging on their street is exactly like saying Kyle Rittenhouse was just a wholesome boy protecting himself and his community. It's not being objective. It's loaded phrasing.

Not important to the case though, as we all agree.
Old 17th November 2021, 12:34 PM   #368
plague311
Great minds think...

Saying the McMicheals went after Arbery just because he was jogging on their street is exactly like saying Kyle Rittenhouse was just a wholesome boy protecting himself and his community. It's not being objective. It's loaded phrasing.
How do you know? What evidence are you using to show that he was running, any quicker than a jog, past the McMichael's house. You said you saw him on the security footage leaving the house, so what are you basing the speed he was going past the McMichael's house on? I don't know that I've seen that video as of yet, but maybe I missed it.
Old 17th November 2021, 12:39 PM   #369
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

How do you know? What evidence are you using to show that he was running, any quicker than a jog, past the McMichael's house. You said you saw him on the security footage leaving the house, so what are you basing the speed he was going past the McMichael's house on? I don't know that I've seen that video as of yet, but maybe I missed it.
We did that for pages and pages earlier in the discussion. No way in hell I'm going there again.

Condensed version: very early in the original thread, the NYT put together a map reconstructed from home security footage which showed how far the chase went back and forth. Using rough scaling, it was a couple hundred yards travelled, total. Significant amount of running, for me, anyway.

It was further pointed out that the chase took place over about 8 1/2 minutes. Doing some loose math, that's a walking pace.

Eta: there was video showing Arbery leaving English's front door, caught from across the street. The man was flying.

But again, no way in hell I'm going back to that one.

Last edited by Thermal; 17th November 2021 at 12:42 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 12:41 PM   #370
plague311
Great minds think...

We did that for pages and pages earlier in the discussion. No way in hell I'm going there again.

Condensed version: very early in the original thread, the NYT put together a map reconstructed from home security footage which showed how far the chase went back and forth. Using rough scaling, it was a couple hundred yards. Significant amount of running, for me, anyway.

It was further pointed out that the chase took place over about 8 1/2 minutes. Doing some loose math, that's a walking pace.

But again, no way in hell I'm going back to that one.
I'd maybe refresh yourself with the evidence that's come out since then. You're, by your own admission, estimating and making assumptions. Which is fine, again, you can be under any impression you want to be about this because it means nothing.
Old 17th November 2021, 12:46 PM   #371
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

We do the same here, usually calling it HIIT training (High Intensity Interval Training). Highly effective. But then he is not properly jogging. Jogging is a slow moving activity. You can't be a "jogger" at a full tilt windsprint..
But that's the whole point, its jog, walk, sprint at intervals and for lengths of time, and those intervals and lengths of time vary according to the level of fitness of the runner.

We see him walking around the house, but we don't really know how long he was walking around for.. did he run up to the house and go in; did he walk up to the house and go in (if so, how long had he been walking - we don't know). We see him sprinting away from the house, but how long did he sprint for; 20 seconds, 30 seconds, a minute? Again we don't know.

I think we can make no determination from the limited video we have seen. In that part of the video where we see him being filmed from Bryant's truck heading towards the McMichaels' truck shortly before he was murdered, that pace looks like a good strong jog, about the sort of pace I used to run.

There has also been evidence presented at trial that places Arbery at the house a few weeks before he was murdered. A woman testified to seeing some fitting Arbury's, in running gear, standing in the door frame of the house,. She looked directly at him, and he looked directly at her. He made no effort to hide or run away.

Here is that testimony.. the video is 17min long but the important part is just four minutes, and the video is cued to 5:32 - the start of that part.

https://youtu.be/HF297YyKBDA?t=332

This makes it seem less likely to me that he thought he was doing anything wrong by being in the house, and therefore less likely that his sprinting away was nefarious. Now, if he didn't sprint away when he was seen at the house, why would he sprint away when he was not seen?

Last edited by smartcooky; 17th November 2021 at 12:47 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 12:47 PM   #372
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I'd maybe refresh yourself with the evidence that's come out since then. You're, by your own admission, estimating and making assumptions. Which is fine, again, you can be under any impression you want to be about this because it means nothing.
Estimating speed using distance travelled and time is not perfect, but is pretty close. Another poster worked it out to about 1mph average pace. Because I was estimating, I didn't attempt a numerical guess. But I wasn't off by an order of magnitude.

Yet again, I don't care and it's not important. Those saying Arbery was simply a wholesome jogger should take your advice on assumptions as well. Which was my only point.
Old 17th November 2021, 01:15 PM   #373
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I'm from Georgia and the sight of a black man or woman jogging is such a common sight that this post intrigues me. Is it because white Georgians are perceived to be racist to the point to where it is not safe to jog if you're black in the presence of white people?

Georgia has changed. I don't think we are any more racist than say Ohio or Washington state for that matter.

Blacks jog for their health and well being. Whites seldom bother them and on the rare occasion when they do they face a hate crime arrest which can get them many years in prison.
Thanks for another stellar contribution.
Old 17th November 2021, 01:25 PM   #374
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

But that's the whole point, its jog, walk, sprint at intervals and for lengths of time, and those intervals and lengths of time vary according to the level of fitness of the runner.

We see him walking around the house, but we don't really know how long he was walking around for.. did he run up to the house and go in; did he walk up to the house and go in (if so, how long had he been walking - we don't know). We see him sprinting away from the house, but how long did he sprint for; 20 seconds, 30 seconds, a minute? Again we don't know.

I think we can make no determination from the limited video we have seen. In that part of the video where we see him being filmed from Bryant's truck heading towards the McMichaels' truck shortly before he was murdered, that pace looks like a good strong jog, about the sort of pace I used to run.

There has also been evidence presented at trial that places Arbery at the house a few weeks before he was murdered. A woman testified to seeing some fitting Arbury's, in running gear, standing in the door frame of the house,. She looked directly at him, and he looked directly at her. He made no effort to hide or run away.

Here is that testimony.. the video is 17min long but the important part is just four minutes, and the video is cued to 5:32 - the start of that part.

https://youtu.be/HF297YyKBDA?t=332

This makes it seem less likely to me that he thought he was doing anything wrong by being in the house, and therefore less likely that his sprinting away was nefarious. Now, if he didn't sprint away when he was seen at the house, why would he sprint away when he was not seen?
That's actually been my whole argument with The Mile TimeTM and all that. I dont think Arbery realized he was in real danger till the very end. He didn't think he was doing anything wrong, and was likely bemused or annoyed by the wannabe Keystone Cops chasing after him.

I mention that he ran from the house only to give context to why the McMicheals were suspicious (important: it doesn't matter bc it was none of their business). He was not on the road, just trotting along. He bolted from a property (and likely was seen running across the long front yard).

But at the time I was making those arguments, the thread lacked a boogeyman, so the weird putting words in my mouth thing got heated.
Old 17th November 2021, 01:50 PM   #375
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

In the places I've lived, hardly anyone has even used the word "jogging" since the 1970s. It's just not a thing. If it's not walking it's running, whether you go fast or slow. You can buy walking shoes and running shoes but no manufacturer markets "jogging shoes." The ubiquitous 5K charity "races" often specify that they don't mind if you walk the route if you prefer not to run it or cannot run it; they don't even mention "jogging" it as an option. In the local parks and along the streets, there's no difference in how a runner is perceived based on how fast they're going. Not even in their athleticism, since unless you watch them for a long time you can't be sure that a slow runner isn't pacing for a long distance, or that a fast runner is. If you're not allowed to run in a private location (like a shopping mall), you're not allowed to "jog" there either. If "jogging" along a street doesn't arouse suspicion or safety concerns, then "running" there doesn't either.
Old 17th November 2021, 06:02 PM   #376
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
In the places I've lived, hardly anyone has even used the word "jogging" since the 1970s. It's just not a thing. If it's not walking it's running, whether you go fast or slow. You can buy walking shoes and running shoes but no manufacturer markets "jogging shoes." The ubiquitous 5K charity "races" often specify that they don't mind if you walk the route if you prefer not to run it or cannot run it; they don't even mention "jogging" it as an option. In the local parks and along the streets, there's no difference in how a runner is perceived based on how fast they're going. Not even in their athleticism, since unless you watch them for a long time you can't be sure that a slow runner isn't pacing for a long distance, or that a fast runner is. If you're not allowed to run in a private location (like a shopping mall), you're not allowed to "jog" there either. If "jogging" along a street doesn't arouse suspicion or safety concerns, then "running" there doesn't either.
Jogging is definitely a term in active use in the places I've lived.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 06:12 PM   #377
Warp12
Banned

I'm from Georgia and the sight of a black man or woman jogging is such a common sight that this post intrigues me. Is it because white Georgians are perceived to be racist to the point to where it is not safe to jog if you're black in the presence of white people?

Georgia has changed. I don't think we are any more racist than say Ohio or Washington state for that matter.

Blacks jog for their health and well being. Whites seldom bother them and on the rare occasion when they do they face a hate crime arrest which can get them many years in prison.
I agree, I'm sick and tired of these stereotypes about blacks. Of course blacks jog/run for their health. We all know that it is swimming that they generally avoid.

It is generally safe for blacks to jog around whites. But sometimes there may be some racially-motivated killers in the neighborhood. Hence, here we are.

Last edited by Warp12; 17th November 2021 at 06:13 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 06:20 PM   #378
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And here. The terms are used interchangeably.

Old 18th November 2021, 07:09 AM   #379
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I'm not really sure what you were getting at here, but in this case a black man jogging was enough to warrant him getting shot. He did nothing else.
Did they shoot him because he was black or did they shoot him because they thought he was a thief making a run for it? either way they had no right to shoot him and I deplore their actions. I also hope the shooters get punished to the full extent of the law.
Old 18th November 2021, 07:46 AM   #380
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
In the places I've lived, hardly anyone has even used the word "jogging" since the 1970s. It's just not a thing.
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And here. The terms are used interchangeably.
Where I have lived, serious runners tend to distinguish jogging from running. Going substantially slower than your marathon pace is jogging. As a rule, marathon pace or faster is referred to as running.

The Wikipedia article on Mary Decker Slaney attributes this factoid to a 2010 article in Sports Illustrated:
Quote:
...she retired with her husband to a 55-acre (22 ha) property in Eugene, Oregon, where she jogs every other day.
Having run with Slaney on a few occasions in the early 1990s, I suspect her jogging pace, even today, is between 8 and 10 minutes per mile.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2021, 08:04 AM   #381
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Did they shoot him because he was black or did they shoot him because they thought he was a thief making a run for it?
I suspect the latter because of the former.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2021, 08:34 AM   #382
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Where I have lived, serious runners tend to distinguish jogging from running. Going substantially slower than your marathon pace is jogging. As a rule, marathon pace or faster is referred to as running.

The Wikipedia article on Mary Decker Slaney attributes this factoid to a 2010 article in Sports Illustrated:

Having run with Slaney on a few occasions in the early 1990s, I suspect her jogging pace, even today, is between 8 and 10 minutes per mile.
I am a sometime, so not serious, runner, and I rarely talk about "jogging." Training pace is a run. 5K pace is a hard run. Marathon pace is a long run. Jogging? When I slow to the point where it's not effort. I find it generally boring.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2021, 10:03 AM   #383
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I am a sometime, so not serious, runner, and I rarely talk about "jogging." Training pace is a run. 5K pace is a hard run. Marathon pace is a long run. Jogging? When I slow to the point where it's not effort. I find it generally boring.
What you have written here is consistent with my suggestion that serious runners refer to "marathon pace or faster" as running, reserving the word "jogging" for "substantially slower than your marathon pace".

As for why that has anything at all to do with this thread: Different runners run marathons at different paces, so what counts as "substantially slower" than marathon pace is different for different runners. That suggests their definitions of "jogging" (if they use the word at all, but that word is part of the vocabulary understood by most runners I know) will be different as well. Which is why arguments in this thread about whether someone was running or jogging are pretty silly unless we know how slow the pace would have to be for that person to become bored with the exercise—and the arguments would be silly even then, because every argument I've seen in this thread that has anything to do with how fast someone was running has been pretty silly regardless of how fast they were running.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2021, 10:29 AM   #384
crescent
Philosopher

Among the people I associate with:

"Running" is used by people who do it, who do some 5k's and the occasional longer race. Also used by people who might not run but closely associate with those who do and who are supportive of it.

"Jogging" is used by those who don't do it and are possibly disparaging of those who do.

"Running" is cool.
"Jogging" is not cool.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2021, 11:00 AM   #385
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher

Mary Slaney, interviewed in 2016 by Athletics Weekly:
Originally Posted by Mary Slaney
“Before I discovered the elliptical bike I was at a point where I was able to go out jogging,” she says, looking back to 2012, when she was introduced to an outdoor elliptical bike called an ElliptiGO. “But I hate jogging. I really hate it. Shuffling along at seven or eight-minute mile pace is not satisfying. But that’s all I could do because I could not get up on my toes any more when I ran."
Mary Slaney uses the word "jogging" to mean "Shuffling along at seven or eight-minute mile pace."

In her prime, she “rarely ran slower than six-minute pace so it was always good quality training.” That was running.
Old 18th November 2021, 11:58 AM   #386
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Mary Slaney, interviewed in 2016 by Athletics Weekly:

Mary Slaney uses the word "jogging" to mean "Shuffling along at seven or eight-minute mile pace."

In her prime, she “rarely ran slower than six-minute pace so it was always good quality training.” That was running.
I know exactly what she is saying. Except add about 3 - 4 minutes for me....

Like I said, jogging is boring. "Shuffling along...." is a good description.

And the point to be reiterated is, "jogging" is a relative term. Mary Slaney's jogging, probably even now well past her prime, is faster than my running, so whether we say Aubery was "jogging" or "running" or how fast he was going is completely irrelevant to anything.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2021, 12:18 PM   #387
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

If this case hinges upon the difference between "running" and "jogging," then the defendants are gonna walk.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2021, 01:14 PM   #388
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
And the point to be reiterated is, "jogging" is a relative term. Mary Slaney's jogging, probably even now well past her prime, is faster than my running, so whether we say Aubery was "jogging" or "running" or how fast he was going is completely irrelevant to anything.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
If this case hinges upon the difference between "running" and "jogging," then the defendants are gonna walk.
Old 18th November 2021, 01:26 PM   #389
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Fine he as ******* trotting. Or maybe sauntering. Ambling perhaps.

Who cares?
Old 18th November 2021, 02:09 PM   #390
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
"Running" is cool.
"Jogging" is not cool.
As someone who doesn't do either (God gave us wheels for a reason) I have never seen much of a distinction between the two words. But if pressed, I might see "running" as an organized sports activity, like entering a race, and "jogging" as something you do for exercise before breakfast. Nothing pejorative about either one.

And nothing Arbery should have been killed for.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2021, 03:07 PM   #391
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And now the defense is in shambles.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2021, 03:14 PM   #392
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
As someone who doesn't do either (God gave us wheels for a reason) I have never seen much of a distinction between the two words. But if pressed, I might see "running" as an organized sports activity, like entering a race, and "jogging" as something you do for exercise before breakfast. Nothing pejorative about either one.

And nothing Arbery should have been killed for.
Criminals run away. The only criminal known to jog away from his crime is Kyle Rittenhouse. And OJ pulled the driving equivalent of a jog, I suppose.
Old 19th November 2021, 01:59 AM   #393
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I listened to the testimony from Travis. I think he did well under direct. It seemed a bit rehearsed, but that is typical. Under cross, I find a lot of problems. I think he knew that he was having problems as well. There are conflicts in his testimony both with his intentions and with the facts. I don't have time now, I will try to address those concerns this weekend.
Old 19th November 2021, 04:16 AM   #394
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Who cares?
You know very well that if he couldn’t run faster than Bolt then he wasn’t trying hard enough to escape so it’s his fault he ran in front of bullets.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2021, 04:19 AM   #395
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

Criminals run away. The only criminal known to jog away from his crime is Kyle Rittenhouse. And OJ pulled the driving equivalent of a jog, I suppose.
Criminals in the actual real world do any number of things. Just as non-criminals do.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2021, 07:19 AM   #396
plague311
Great minds think...

Both sides have rested. Today is all "perfecting the record".

The prosecution really, really ****** up yesterday. The defense brought in a useless witness, more just to say that there has been crime in the area, nothing more. For some reason the prosecution asked her if she thought stealing was worthy of the death penalty. Obvious chaos ensued with multiple objections, and calls for a mistrial. The judge was even a bit curious. They didn't mistrial, they ended up chastising the prosecution and the judge addressed it with the jury. I have no idea why she would do something so stupid, it makes no sense to me. She's lucky it didn't **** up the case.

Closing arguments, jury instruction and deliberation starting Monday. I don't see it taking too long. The defense didn't put up much of a fight.

There were 3 things that were requested to get put back in so the defense could address them. Arbery's mental health, that he was on probation at the time, and now I can't remember the 3rd. All were denied.
Old 19th November 2021, 07:31 AM   #397
plague311
Great minds think...

Did they shoot him because he was black or did they shoot him because they thought he was a thief making a run for it?
As you go on to say, it wouldn't matter either way. However, he wasn't a thief. He hadn't taken anything from anywhere, and there's no evidence that exists to say that he did\has.

either way they had no right to shoot him and I deplore their actions. I also hope the shooters get punished to the full extent of the law.
They will definitely will be going to prison. I expect the jury to take the same amount of time as in the George Floyd case.
Old 19th November 2021, 07:31 AM   #398
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

... and now I can't remember the 3rd. All were denied.
Was he secretly a black pastor?
Old 19th November 2021, 07:39 AM   #399
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Did ass wipe's attorney do a practice cross with him? That was awful. I mean at best they would have been polishing **** but they could have tried to mitigate the damage. The defense would have been better off if they didn't put him on the stand at all. The prosecutor got idiot boy to admit that Aubry wasn't a threat until they tried to unlawfully detain him. This guy deserves the needle just for his own stupidity.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2021, 07:40 AM   #400
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Was he secretly a black pastor?
Yeah, Roddie's attorney is really, really hung up on those black pastors. He even, wrongfully, announced the MLK jr. was in the gallery. It wasn't, it was MLK the IV I believe, but he's really hung up on it. It's been getting on the nerves of the judge the whole time. Roddie's judge also gives updates on what kinds of signs are out front, and what chants are going on as well.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors