IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ahmaud Arbery , Georgia incidents , Gregory McMichael , prosecutorial misconduct , racism charges , racism incidents , shooting incidents , Travis McMichael , William Bryan

Old 26th November 2021, 11:09 PM   #881
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
But for a felony, that standard is loosened a bit. It is just reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion. Guy standing outside a convince store. Hears shots. Looks in. Cashier dead. Guy running out. He wasn't present and didn't have immediate knowledge, but obviously that is the guy that just shot the clerk. So he can tackle him and hold him until police come.
Seems like that illustrates a basic problem with the law. Suppose the killer ran out the back door, and the guy you jumped on was just a customer running from the gunfire. And suppose he fights back, thinking you're the gunman's accomplice. If the citizen making his "arrest" -- maybe forcibly -- didn't actually observe a crime, he can't really be sure what happened.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2021, 07:02 AM   #882
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Where one of our Swedes to call us barbarians because in their country murders only get 3 days in a luxury hotel?
I could go on about how the felony murder doctrine is a bunch of garbage if that will help.

Quote:

Less flippantly and more actually on topic, my main concern now is the DA and other people who sat on the original incident. They need to see hard time.
For what though? Absent some really extraordinary set of facts that would amount to being an accessory after the fact and not just a questionable use of discretion there is nothing there. Pressuring prosecutors to be more draconian in general will have an number of terrible unforeseen consequences.
Quote:

Real talk. Long term we need more oversight on small town police forces and court systems.
There is plenty of oversight. The problem is that when you have police oversee police they are still police. The idea that the feds can be trusted to be the adults in the room took a really rough hit in the last five years.

Ultimately it becomes a political question. We can talk voting rights and the way law enforcement is structured in a way to avoid political responsibility. Also how with the death of local journalism and the corporate takeover of journalism in general a lot of this goes on in the dark. A lot less cop worship would go on if there were more exposure about what they actually do and the effects it has.

Quote:

We still need to remember that all of this only happened because one video went got out. Had Roddie had two more brain cells this entire incident would never have gotten out.
Crimes are going to be hard to prove under the system we have. As a result bad people get away with doing bad things.

The case to be made for the Scandinavian model of treating prisoners is that it allows for things like lower standards of proof and compelling defendant testimony without making the system a nightmare. As it is we have draconian punishments but make up for that by having a standard of proof such that the state is rarely going to be able to convict anyone without bending/breaking/finding exceptions to the rules or applying pressure (via threatening more draconian punishments) to get a plea bargain.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 11:09 AM   #883
plague311
Great minds think...

Looks like Roddie can't catch a break! GoFundMe has shut down his fundraiser for an appeal. Which I'm in full support of, personally. Per their rules they do not allow a GoFundMe for legal defenses of violent crimes. Which I would say felony murder would fit.

His lawyer, in a continued effort to be a dim witted jack ass, had this to say:

Quote:
“The right to counsel, a guarantee enshrined in our Constitution, means little if ordinary people like Roddie Bryan cannot raise funds for their own defense -- and that includes the right to raise funds for an appeal. The cancellation of legitimate online efforts to raise funds for Roddie Bryan is simply the latest manifestation of a woke left mob mentality that relentlessly seeks to undermine the institutions of our government.”
It's all the woke left mob! I'm sure he's in support of it on Roddie's behalf due to his overwhelming concern for Roddie. Definitely not because he wants to make sure he keeps getting paid. The GoFundMe had raised $700 when it was shut down.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 11:13 AM   #884
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Looks like Roddie can't catch a break! GoFundMe has shut down his fundraiser for an appeal. Which I'm in full support of, personally. Per their rules they do not allow a GoFundMe for legal defenses of violent crimes. Which I would say felony murder would fit.

It's all the woke left mob! I'm sure he's in support of it on Roddie's behalf due to his overwhelming concern for Roddie. Definitely not because he wants to make sure he keeps getting paid. The GoFundMe had raised $700 when it was shut down.
Perhaps he could invest the available funds in a company that make cel phones without video recording abilities?
Old 3rd December 2021, 11:16 AM   #885
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

I think I would like to join the Woke Left Mob. Are torches and pitchforks provided, or or do I need to bring my own?
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 11:19 AM   #886
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Perhaps he could invest the available funds in a company that make cel phones without video recording abilities?
Or one with a delete option?

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
I think I would like to join the Woke Left Mob. Are torches and pitchforks provided, or or do I need to bring my own?
You'll have to submit your request in writing to George Soros. After that it's just like Robin Hood: Men in Tights. You walk through the line, get your torch, pitchfork and pantyhose. We obviously wear pantyhose as the soybois we are.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 11:28 AM   #887
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Woke Left Mobs don't use torches, not carbon friendly. You'll be issued an LED baton or perhaps a glow stick.
Old 3rd December 2021, 12:03 PM   #888
Suddenly
No Punting

I mean, I have a bit of a beef with restricting legal defense funds based on the nature of the accusation seeing the whole point of a legal defense fund is to contest the allegations. However, it's an understandable policy.

The lawyer dressing it up as some sort of far reaching constitutional issue is clownish. Especially seeing the guy is guaranteed a lawyer and based on what he wrote there it's almost a lock that the guy would be in better hands with a public defender. Especially if the pd has an appellate specific division.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 12:11 PM   #889
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I mean isn't that always what we get told when white people kill black people? The whole "LOL sad and all but can't risk breaking the system by doing anything in response to it" thing?

White evil always gets to appeal to some broader concept that punishing them for would put at risk, concerns which are never there when black people do something wrong.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 3rd December 2021 at 12:13 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 01:07 PM   #890
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
I mean, I have a bit of a beef with restricting legal defense funds based on the nature of the accusation seeing the whole point of a legal defense fund is to contest the allegations. However, it's an understandable policy.
Maybe I'm not understanding this but he is still able to raise funds. He just can't do it through GoFundMe. I don't really see that as restricting legal defense funds. Like I said, perhaps I'm not parsing what you're saying correctly.

The lawyer dressing it up as some sort of far reaching constitutional issue is clownish. Especially seeing the guy is guaranteed a lawyer and based on what he wrote there it's almost a lock that the guy would be in better hands with a public defender. Especially if the pd has an appellate specific division.
Roddie's attorney was a grade a dumbass.
Old 3rd December 2021, 02:03 PM   #891
Suddenly
No Punting

I mean isn't that always what we get told when white people kill black people? The whole "LOL sad and all but can't risk breaking the system by doing anything in response to it" thing?

White evil always gets to appeal to some broader concept that punishing them for would put at risk, concerns which are never there when black people do something wrong.
Sure. Just look at how when white people commit an atrocity the public discourse looks at mental illness and soul searches about why people do things and when a Black person does it the discourse goes more in the dehumanizing scary monster territory. It is another example of the "in vs. other" that is the core of conservativism.

It is just that, as in this thread, a lot of the cheerleading done for these ofay fools getting what they deserve and pining for worse makes me uneasy because I'm always going to be wary of the carceral state. Not out of sympathy for these fools but because in the larger picture I'm more worried about how selective harsh treatment of whitey mchugepickuptruck can serve as a sort of justification for the everyday atrocities against the disadvantaged.
Old 3rd December 2021, 02:10 PM   #892
Suddenly
No Punting

Maybe I'm not understanding this but he is still able to raise funds. He just can't do it through GoFundMe. I don't really see that as restricting legal defense funds. Like I said, perhaps I'm not parsing what you're saying correctly.
That site is being reasonable in a global sense and can do as they please but I have a particular axe to grind with those that treat legal accusations as conclusions based on how scary those accusations are.

I mean, nobody is staying up nights worrying about these guys, but I think in terms of the parents of some poor Black kid who is being wrongfully accused of some violent crime and the policy seems less just.
Quote:

Most lawyers are. It is amazing what one can get away with if they have a nice suit, an aura of gravitas, and no compunctions about gaslighting the ******* out of people.

If his goal is recruiting local chud clients because "he's not afraid to take on the woke leftist mob" or somesuch he's taking a reasonable line.
Old 3rd December 2021, 02:16 PM   #893
plague311
Great minds think...

That site is being reasonable in a global sense and can do as they please but I have a particular axe to grind with those that treat legal accusations as conclusions based on how scary those accusations are.

I mean, nobody is staying up nights worrying about these guys, but I think in terms of the parents of some poor Black kid who is being wrongfully accused of some violent crime and the policy seems less just.
Ok, I guess that's what I was thinking you were saying. I don't personally agree, but I'll more or less leave it at that.

Most lawyers are. It is amazing what one can get away with if they have a nice suit, an aura of gravitas, and no compunctions about gaslighting the ******* out of people.

If his goal is recruiting local chud clients because "he's not afraid to take on the woke leftist mob" or somesuch he's taking a reasonable line.
Be easier to take a reasonable line if you won lol. I wouldn't be prone to taking a lawyer that lost just because he talks nice and looks upscale, but as you said, chud clients aren't all that bright.
Old 3rd December 2021, 05:33 PM   #894
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

I can't help but wonder if maybe he thinks appearing to be enough of a bigot or belittling his client enough will provide grounds for appeal.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 05:15 PM   #895
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
I can't help but wonder if maybe he thinks appearing to be enough of a bigot or belittling his client enough will provide grounds for appeal.
All three of their lawyers sucked. The crosses of the two GBI agents were atrocious and the direct of Travis was nothing short of negligent. They were so bad that I have to wonder if there isn't a thought of inadequate representation as a grounds for an appeal. Their case still sucks but maybe the idea is to get a new trial and hope for better luck on jury selection.

When I worked for INS (before Homeland Security) I got crossed by some mindless incompetents. There are great lawyers who work in immigration law (which I will caveat by saying immigration law is administrative law and the rules of procedure and evidence are very different from criminal law) but the practice also attracts some complete bottom feeders. The cross of the GBI agents was atrocious. The worst $50 an hour immigration lawyer with an office in the Seattle Warehouse district would have done better.

Last edited by Craig4; 5th December 2021 at 05:22 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2022, 07:10 AM   #896
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Sentencing today. A plea deal has already been dismissed.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...NR2SZQJ232NJ4/
Old 7th January 2022, 07:59 AM   #897
plague311
Great minds think...

Life...no parole. Except for Roddie. He should probably be paroled post 70s
Old 7th January 2022, 08:40 AM   #898
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Roddie's team is trying to sell the Judge a lighter sentence for him.
Old 7th January 2022, 08:42 AM   #899
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I don't think the Judge has much more patience with Roddie's team's continuing "I mean he just drove the truck that was running him down, I don't get why he's getting lumped in with the murderers!" arguments.
Old 7th January 2022, 08:47 AM   #900
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Eye rolls* And now he's arguing Double Jeopardy. (I have no idea how)
Old 7th January 2022, 09:30 AM   #901
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Way to go for the mom. She threw the toenail thing right back in defense's face and rubbed their noses in it.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2022, 09:36 AM   #902
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Life...no parole. Except for Roddie. He should probably be paroled post 70s
That seems to be pretty much exactly what the Prosecution is arguing for.
Old 7th January 2022, 09:45 AM   #903
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think the Judge has much more patience with Roddie's team's continuing "I mean he just drove the truck that was running him down, I don't get why he's getting lumped in with the murderers!" arguments.
Far less culpable people have had their lives ruined by felony murder charges. Roddie is totally screwed.
Old 7th January 2022, 09:45 AM   #904
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The defense's "Sure he gunned a man down in cold blood for no reason, but come on we have a bunch of people who he once loaned a cup of sugar to" defense is infuriating.
Old 7th January 2022, 09:48 AM   #905
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The defense team continues to make really good arguments for the prosecution.
Old 7th January 2022, 09:52 AM   #906
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Even the defense is only asking for Life with the Possibility of Parole, which in Georgia means they aren't even up for Parole for 30 years worst case.
Old 7th January 2022, 10:08 AM   #907
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Way to go for the mom. She threw the toenail thing right back in defense's face and rubbed their noses in it.
Toenail thing?
Old 7th January 2022, 10:12 AM   #908
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Toenail thing?
The defense referred (in a really, really weird and off moment) to Arbury's toenails.

"Turning Ahmaud Arbery into a victim after the choices that he made does not reflect the reality of what brought Ahmaud Arbery to Satilla Shores in his khaki shorts with no socks to cover his long, dirty toenails." - Laura Hogue, defense attorney for Gregory McMichael, in court on November 23, 2021 during the defense's closing arguments.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 7th January 2022 at 10:13 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2022, 10:17 AM   #909
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I live in Georgia and thousands of black citizens jog unmolested. Those rednecks that killed that black jogger are in for a long prison possibly a lifetime.
Old 7th January 2022, 10:21 AM   #910
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

The defense referred (in a really, really weird and off moment) to Arbury's toenails.

"Turning Ahmaud Arbery into a victim after the choices that he made does not reflect the reality of what brought Ahmaud Arbery to Satilla Shores in his khaki shorts with no socks to cover his long, dirty toenails." - Laura Hogue, defense attorney for Gregory McMichael, in court on November 23, 2021 during the defense's closing arguments.
It really was odd. It's really, really hard for me to imagine how that would have helped the defense in any way. Maybe things were different in the courtroom, but I was baffled by this.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 7th January 2022 at 10:25 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2022, 10:25 AM   #911
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It really was odd. It's really, really hard for me to imagine how that would have helped the defense in any way.
It almost reads (to me anyway) like someone trying to slip a dog whistle coded message to the (potential) racist members of the jury and just being really, really bad at it.

Like "How do you do fellow kids?" version of racism almost.
Old 7th January 2022, 10:25 AM   #912
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It really was odd. It's really, really hard for me to imagine how that would have helped the defense in any way.
It was horrid, but not odd at all in Georgia. And the problem is that it might have worked in Georgia. He was basically planting the idea that the victim was "just a dirty ******". That state has a lot of people that might work on, just like the defendants.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2022, 10:29 AM   #913
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

It almost reads (to me anyway) like someone trying to slip a dog whistle coded message to the (potential) racist members of the jury and just being really, really bad at it.

Like "How do you do fellow kids?" version of racism almost.
Ahh, that makes sense. From a purely cynical point of view, acquittal was not really a possibility. A hung jury with a racist juror or two was probably the best they could hope for.
Old 7th January 2022, 10:56 AM   #914
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Ah, gotcha, thanks.

And…..wow!
Old 7th January 2022, 11:10 AM   #915
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Even the defense is only asking for Life with the Possibility of Parole, which in Georgia means they aren't even up for Parole for 30 years worst case.

As I understand it, a life sentence is mandatory for those convictions. The judge's only discretion is the possibility of parole.
Quote:
Murder carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison under Georgia law unless prosecutors seek the death penalty, which they opted against for Arbery’s killing. For Superior Court Judge Timothy Walmsley, the main decision will be whether to grant father and son Greg and Travis McMichael and their neighbor, William “Roddie” Bryan, an eventual chance to earn parole.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...ences-82128390
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2022, 11:20 AM   #916
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Defense is still going on about how is Arbury's fault.
Old 7th January 2022, 11:23 AM   #917
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Bangs head on wall* They are still doing the "They pointed the gun at him, they pulled the trigger, they knew the bullets would kill him but... that's not the same thing as wanting him to die!" nonsense.
Old 7th January 2022, 11:28 AM   #918
erlando
Master Poster

Did she just say he had done "thousands and thousands" of good deeds? Too bad he chose his legacy to be murder then...

"He remains a good man". Yea, no.

Last edited by erlando; 7th January 2022 at 11:31 AM.
erlando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2022, 11:32 AM   #919
Warp12
Banned

Wait a minute. He had poor foot hygiene? This changes everything...
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2022, 11:32 AM   #920
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's so hollow and hypocritical and outright rage inducing to use these kind of arguments when the defense's entire argument is "LOL well Arbury might have been doing something wrong so it's totes okay that they gunned him down."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors