IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ahmaud Arbery , Georgia incidents , Gregory McMichael , prosecutorial misconduct , racism charges , racism incidents , shooting incidents , Travis McMichael , William Bryan

Old 9th November 2021, 10:28 AM   #241
plague311
Great minds think...

I'm pretty sure the defense is just objecting for the sake of objecting and pissing the jury off because they have to go into the juror's room every time. They haven't been winning the objections, and I think Ronnie's attorney just asked for his 3rd or 4th mistrial.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2021, 03:40 PM   #242
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
I think their expectation was that he'd finally stop and await the arrival of police.

They failed to anticipate just how impulsive, violent, dangerous, and stupid Arbery was. In other words, they ended up in the awful position they're in now, due to insufficient racism.
If you were chased until exhausted, would you trust a man with a gun to not shoot you or try to defend yourself?
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2021, 03:43 PM   #243
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

I would DEFINITELY be way more sympathetic to any arguments about him having no obligations to explain himself, if he'd just kept running, or sat down and silently awaited police, refusing to speak to the three guys, instead of lunging, punching, and grabbing hold of the shotgun.
If you're trying to convince the forum that you are stupid enough to just sit and wait for the police while armed men chase you down, I'm not buying it.

Why would you think that anyone would be stupid enough to not defend themselves against armed men trying to run them down?
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2021, 03:56 PM   #244
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
If you were chased until exhausted, would you trust a man with a gun to not shoot you or try to defend yourself?
Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
If you're trying to convince the forum that you are stupid enough to just sit and wait for the police while armed men chase you down, I'm not buying it.

Why would you think that anyone would be stupid enough to not defend themselves against armed men trying to run them down?
There's important context here that has to be factored in.

If it's 3am and I'm out for a walk, and I've literally done nothing wrong at all, just walked down public streets, and suddenly a car is behind me and slowly following, headlights off, and then after doing that for 10 minutes pulls up next to me and starts saying threatening things to me, I could see myself going into a "fight or flight, do or die" mode where I would view any sort of compliance with them as being off the table. In that sort of circumstance, I could see charging someone, fighting them for control of a gun, etc.

However, if it's the bright of day, on a Sunday, and I'm in a neighborhood that I don't live in, and which I've visited multiple times previously, and I'm walking around inside of a house under construction there, which I've visited multiple times previously and walked around inside of, and then I look through the window and see a guy in his front yard looking at me, with a phone up to his head --- then I know immediately (whether it's true or not) that the man in question thinks I'm doing something questionable / illegal inside that structure.

At that point, I'd come out and explain myself to him, proactively. I'd say "sorry, do you know the owner? I was just curious and looking around." - and if he said the owner had indicated he did NOT want people doing that, I'd convey my apologies and indicate I wouldn't be doing it again.

If that man in the yard across the street on the phone said "well, the police are on the way already, explain it to them" - then I would do precisely that. I'd sit down in the front yard of the property I was inside of, and await their arrival. I'd then explain myself to the cops, and face whatever music was coming re: trespassing or whatever.

If, back at the moment I saw the person on the phone, I panicked and bolted down the street like Arbery did, and then found myself being pursued by a couple of pickup trucks, and men inside the one closer to me were saying "where are you coming from? what did you do? We want to talk to you" I'd know exactly what was going on, just as Arbery did.

I'd know that these men thought I had been doing something criminal, and that it would be in my interest to explain myself to them.

I'd submit myself to their questioning and give them no reason to perceive me as a physical threat, because I'd know they were acting in a watchful neighbor / busybody way, where they were suspicious of me and thought I was a criminal.

Whether I was a criminal or not, it would be in my best interest in that situation to stop, because I'm not going to outrun a truck, and interact with the men / wait for the police.

I wouldn't consider such men shooting me with a gun to be a scenario that would seem at all likely, unless and until I attacked them.

I think Arbery's chances of being shot dead were hanging at 0% until he attacked.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 05:29 AM   #245
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm pretty sure the defense is just objecting for the sake of objecting and pissing the jury off because they have to go into the juror's room every time. They haven't been winning the objections, and I think Ronnie's attorney just asked for his 3rd or 4th mistrial.
This can't be great for working the jury. Constantly bringing the trial to a halt must smack of desperation, and surely this must influence the jury to some extent.

Working the judge for a mistrial is probably the only way that the three killers aren't convicted in this trial, though it would simply kick the can down the road for another equally terrible retrial. I suppose if there's no other viable options, why not?
Old 10th November 2021, 06:08 AM   #246
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...
Why type all that rubbish when for you it is as simple as your fellow whites killed a black man and that should be legal under all circumstances.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 06:20 AM   #247
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

At that point, I'd come out and explain myself to him, proactively. I'd say "sorry, do you know the owner? I was just curious and looking around." - and if he said the owner had indicated he did NOT want people doing that, I'd convey my apologies and indicate I wouldn't be doing it again.
Shut the **** up, no you would not. Especially if the owner was black.
Old 10th November 2021, 06:20 AM   #248
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why type all that rubbish when for you it is as simple as your fellow whites killed a black man and that should be legal under all circumstances.
And you have already admitted as such, it's not some ulterior motive we're putting on you.

Why put your racism genie back in the bottle?
Old 10th November 2021, 06:34 AM   #249
plague311
Great minds think...

However, if it's the bright of day, on a Sunday, and I'm in a neighborhood that I don't live in, and which I've visited multiple times previously, and I'm walking around inside of a house under construction there, which I've visited multiple times previously and walked around inside of, and then I look through the window and see a guy in his front yard looking at me, with a phone up to his head --- then I know immediately (whether it's true or not) that the man in question thinks I'm doing something questionable / illegal inside that structure.
This never happened. The prosecution has had multiple detectives read the transcripts of their interview with the McMichael's. The McMichael's stated with no hesitation that they had absolutely no idea where Arbery was coming from, or where he was going. I've already stated this multiple times. No one was in their front yard with a phone up to their head watching Arbery. It just wasn't a thing.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 10th November 2021 at 06:35 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 06:36 AM   #250
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And you have already admitted as such, it's not some ulterior motive we're putting on you.

Why put your racism genie back in the bottle?
Nothing's going back into any bottle.

When I agree to acknowledge being "racist" - I'm not signing off on some mindless caricature version of a person who crawls out of the back woods wearing overalls and spits out their chewing tobacco as they say "I just plain don't like N-words. Not one little bit." or someone who literally cares not one whit about the particulars of any situation, and looks only at the races involved.

No, what I'm signing off on is the version of being "racist" that all of you people on this and other forums have made clear many, many times - is really no different to you THAN that, but is in fact quite distinct.

If someone intelligently looks at statistics, and differences between races, and accepts the reality that human subgroups that evolved separately for hundreds of thousands of years in relative isolation have ended up with important differences, and if someone is realistic about racial dynamics in a multiracial society (as in, how humans are tribal, etc.) then you all call that "racist" and make no real distinction between that and just brute, mindless dislike for "the other."

I was a liberal SJW type who actively signed onto the same sort of anti-white thinking that I still see in so many others, and I occupied that mental territory for a long, long time. I came by my current views quite honestly. It was not a comfortable process, and it was based on observation, evidence, and painfully forcing myself to accept things I did not want to.

If you all want to call that being "racist" - fine. I can't stop you, and I'll agree to the term.

It would be nice if conceding to that term ever actually allowed for any sort of meaningful move to a subsequent phase where the realities of the situation are discussed ("okay, now that we've gotten that out of the way") but that never seems to really happen. Whether someone agrees to the designation of "racist" or not, some people just seem to perch in that same spot and just keep repeating "you're racist."

The particulars of the situation Arbery faced which I called attention to, really are salient regarding whether his actions were reasonable or made any intelligible sense.

I continue to believe and assert that his behaviors made sense really only in the context of him being a criminal, which he was.

This never happened. The prosecution has had multiple detectives read the transcripts of their interview with the McMichael's. The McMichael's stated with no hesitation that they had absolutely no idea where Arbery was coming from, or where he was going. I've already stated this multiple times. No one was in their front yard with a phone up to their head watching Arbery. It just wasn't a thing.
Incorrect. The other neighbor, who first called cops that day, and who lived across the street from the empty property, whose name is something like Diego or something, is the one who believes Arbery bolted upon seeing that he was watching him through the window on the house under construction.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 10th November 2021 at 06:37 AM.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 07:20 AM   #251
plague311
Great minds think...

Incorrect. The other neighbor, who first called cops that day, and who lived across the street from the empty property, whose name is something like Diego or something, is the one who believes Arbery bolted upon seeing that he was watching him through the window on the house under construction.
You'll have to provide me with a link, but even if what you say is true it doesn't matter because the McMichael's wouldn't have known anything about it.

Quote:
According to his testimony, McMichael said he was refinishing seat cushions in his garage when Arbery came “hauling ass” past their home on 230 Satilla Drive. Greg McMichael quickly ran inside and alerted his son, Travis McMichael, who had his 5-year-old son over for a weekend visitation.
So again, they had no idea where Arbery was coming from or where he was going. The owner of the house said Arbery had never taken anything or caused any damage.

Quote:
Its owner, Larry English of Douglas, said Arbery never took anything or caused harm inside. He had been seen on the structure’s surveillance cameras three times between October 2019 and Feb. 11.
English had never made a report against Arbery. Why do you think that is?
Old 10th November 2021, 07:37 AM   #252
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

It would be nice if conceding to that term ever actually allowed for any sort of meaningful move to a subsequent phase where the realities of the situation are discussed ("okay, now that we've gotten that out of the way") but that never seems to really happen. Whether someone agrees to the designation of "racist" or not, some people just seem to perch in that same spot and just keep repeating "you're racist."

Okay, you've described the mental model by which you evaluate the situation, which is (you've conceded) one that others describe as racist.

Now, as far as I can tell you also concede that the defendants in this case were also acting based upon a similar mental model. That is, their actions reflected their internal mental narrative that Arbery was attempting or engaging in criminal activity to which he was predisposed by the cultural evolution of his ethnic group.

Now, let's consider the results so far of applying that particular mental model to the situation in the instance under discussion. One man was shot to death, despite having committed at the outset of the incident no known crime deserving of incarceration let alone death according to the laws of the land. The three others are now on trial for acts for which, should they be found guilty of, the laws of the land prescribe long prison sentences.

Applying that mental model to an ordinary real-world situation resulted in four people's lives ruined. It caused the defendants to misjudge, or we can say pre-judge, what their response to their observations should be, without knowing all the facts, in an unjust and ultimately disastrous way. (That's what we used to talk about, when I was a child during the climactic years of the "civil rights era." Prejudice, unjust pre-judging leading to social ills and suffering. Racism was the abstract theory, the mental model, while prejudice was its nasty real-world consequence.)

That would appear to be a rather serious downside to employing that particular mental model.

What do you think its upside is?
Old 10th November 2021, 07:45 AM   #253
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Why won't anyone have a civil debate with me about my inherently uncivil opinion? Come back and debate me about my belief that some people are arbitrarily worth less than others you coward! You being intolerant of my intolerance makes you a hypocrite. I'm really the victim here."

*Jerk off motion*
Old 10th November 2021, 07:48 AM   #254
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

If it's 3am and I'm out for a walk, and I've literally done nothing wrong at all, just walked down public streets, and suddenly a car is behind me and slowly following, headlights off, and then after doing that for 10 minutes pulls up next to me and starts saying threatening things to me, I could see myself going into a "fight or flight, do or die" mode where I would view any sort of compliance with them as being off the table. In that sort of circumstance, I could see charging someone, fighting them for control of a gun, etc.

If that man in the yard across the street on the phone said "well, the police are on the way already, explain it to them" - then I would do precisely that. I'd sit down in the front yard of the property I was inside of, and await their arrival. I'd then explain myself to the cops, and face whatever music was coming re: trespassing or whatever.

If, back at the moment I saw the person on the phone, I panicked and bolted down the street like Arbery did, and then found myself being pursued by a couple of pickup trucks, and men inside the one closer to me were saying "where are you coming from? what did you do? We want to talk to you" I'd know exactly what was going on, just as Arbery did.

I'd know that these men thought I had been doing something criminal, and that it would be in my interest to explain myself to them.

I'd submit myself to their questioning and give them no reason to perceive me as a physical threat, because I'd know they were acting in a watchful neighbor / busybody way, where they were suspicious of me and thought I was a criminal.

Whether I was a criminal or not, it would be in my best interest in that situation to stop, because I'm not going to outrun a truck, and interact with the men / wait for the police.

I wouldn't consider such men shooting me with a gun to be a scenario that would seem at all likely, unless and until I attacked them.

I think Arbery's chances of being shot dead were hanging at 0% until he attacked.
Utter crap. If Arbery should have just waited for the police after seeing the neighbor call them, why shouldn't the idiot rednecks also have waited and let the police handle it? Nothing about what Arbery did created any right for the McMichaels to assume the role of the police and pursue him with guns. In fact, their actions outside the law in pursuing him gave him the right, under Georgia's Stand Your Ground law, to act exactly as he did in his own defense; and they had no SYG right in a situation which their own illegal actions instigated.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 07:54 AM   #255
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Okay, you've described the mental model by which you evaluate the situation, which is (you've conceded) one that others describe as racist.

Now, as far as I can tell you also concede that the defendants in this case were also acting based upon a similar mental model. That is, their actions reflected their internal mental narrative that Arbery was attempting or engaging in criminal activity to which he was predisposed by the cultural evolution of his ethnic group.

Now, let's consider the results so far of applying that particular mental model to the situation in the instance under discussion. One man was shot to death, despite having committed at the outset of the incident no known crime deserving of incarceration let alone death according to the laws of the land. The three others are now on trial for acts for which, should they be found guilty of, the laws of the land prescribe long prison sentences.

Applying that mental model to an ordinary real-world situation resulted in four people's lives ruined. It caused the defendants to misjudge, or we can say pre-judge, what their response to their observations should be, without knowing all the facts, in an unjust and ultimately disastrous way. (That's what we used to talk about, when I was a child during the climactic years of the "civil rights era." Prejudice, unjust pre-judging leading to social ills and suffering. Racism was the abstract theory, the mental model, while prejudice was its nasty real-world consequence.)

That would appear to be a rather serious downside to employing that particular mental model.

What do you think its upside is?
I am not aware of any reason to believe that Arbery's race played any particular role in this event.

It may have played a similar role to if the person they'd been on the lookout for had been a redheaded man who was unusually thin, or something like that. Him being black, of a particular age, etc. may have simply been something that helped distinguish him from other people seen around the area.

I've heard that defendant Bryan claimed that Travis McMichael said something with the N word in it after shooting Arbery, but I am not sure what credence to give his statements. He seems to have gone into a back-stab to save his own skin type of posture at one point.

Whether Arbery's race played the kind of role in their appraisal of him that you are implying or not, they were correct about him. He had been trespassing there, and had a history of criminality. To try to stop him and question him seems to me to be completely reasonable.

They find themselves in the situation they do now, due entirely to a combination of Arbery's irrational violent reaction and society's irrational posture currently toward cases like this. There's a reason they weren't charged for a while, and it's the same reason Zimmerman wasn't charged for a good long while.

Some people talk about drumming up attention for these cases and getting Benjamin Crump types involved as something to be proud of. Like "we drew attention to this and got the justice system to do the right thing!" but in reality it's cases that shouldn't be brought, ending up being brought to appease irrational, ignorant mobs which are comprised of the people who are most racially tribalistic in these matters out of anyone.
Old 10th November 2021, 07:55 AM   #256
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

....I think Arbery's chances of being shot dead were hanging at 0% until he attacked.
When being chased by a civilian with a gun, the chances of being shot are most likely not going to be zero or anywhere near it.
Old 10th November 2021, 08:09 AM   #257
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

I am not aware of any reason to believe that Arbery's race played any particular role in this event.

It may have played a similar role to if the person they'd been on the lookout for had been a redheaded man who was unusually thin, or something like that. Him being black, of a particular age, etc. may have simply been something that helped distinguish him from other people seen around the area.

I've heard that defendant Bryan claimed that Travis McMichael said something with the N word in it after shooting Arbery, but I am not sure what credence to give his statements. He seems to have gone into a back-stab to save his own skin type of posture at one point.

Whether Arbery's race played the kind of role in their appraisal of him that you are implying or not, they were correct about him. He had been trespassing there, and had a history of criminality. To try to stop him and question him seems to me to be completely reasonable.

They find themselves in the situation they do now, due entirely to a combination of Arbery's irrational violent reaction and society's irrational posture currently toward cases like this. There's a reason they weren't charged for a while, and it's the same reason Zimmerman wasn't charged for a good long while.

Some people talk about drumming up attention for these cases and getting Benjamin Crump types involved as something to be proud of. Like "we drew attention to this and got the justice system to do the right thing!" but in reality it's cases that shouldn't be brought, ending up being brought to appease irrational, ignorant mobs which are comprised of the people who are most racially tribalistic in these matters out of anyone.

If you're claiming racism had nothing to do with the events leading to and including the killing, then there's really no "subsequent phase" to move onto. So I now have no idea what you were complaining about there.
Old 10th November 2021, 10:00 AM   #258
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
If you're claiming racism had nothing to do with the events leading to and including the killing, then there's really no "subsequent phase" to move onto. So I now have no idea what you were complaining about there.
That's easy - his complaint is that white men can't hunt down black men and kill them without being arrested and even put on trial for murder!
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 10:13 AM   #259
plague311
Great minds think...

Man, the facial expressions of the judge when dealing with the defense is starting to get pretty animated. I'm not a huge fan of judges showing a lot of emotion, I made mention of it in the Rittenhouse thread, but the judge looks frustrated.
Old 10th November 2021, 10:51 AM   #260
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

plague311, here is a link to a news report that shows some surveillance video from a house across the street from the one under construction which Arbery had apparently entered. In it they've highlighted the two individuals believed to be both Arbery and the first (I think) 911 caller. Obviously, the caller was able to see Arbery from where he was standing, and so it would appear that Arbery should have been able to see the him also.

"Surveillance video appears to show Ahmaud Arbery minutes before his death | WSB-TV - Youtube"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5THIjKra1Q
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 10:56 AM   #261
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
plague311, here is a link to a news report that shows some surveillance video from a house across the street from the one under construction which Arbery had apparently entered. In it they've highlighted the two individuals believed to be both Arbery and the first (I think) 911 caller. Obviously, the caller was able to see Arbery from where he was standing, and so it would appear that Arbery should have been able to see the him also.

"Surveillance video appears to show Ahmaud Arbery minutes before his death | WSB-TV - Youtube"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5THIjKra1Q
I've seen it, but everything after him seeing Arbery is hearsay and not relevant at all. No one knows if Arbery saw him, or if Arbery even cared. Arbery wasn't being particularly stealthy, and he'd been to the place 3 times previously. Why would he be worried about being spotted? He hadn't stolen anything, plenty of other people had walked through the house, there wasn't anything to be concerned about.

Like I said before, even if Arbery did see him and it caused Arbery to leave. Who cares? The McMichael's didn't know that, and it's their behavior we're looking at in the case. Arbery is not on trial.
Old 10th November 2021, 11:23 AM   #262
plague311
Great minds think...

Here is a CNN article that does a really good job of laying out the case so far. When I had mentioned the judge's frustration, here is one instance I was referring to:

Quote:
"I don't know why I am so confused," Jason Sheffield, attorney for defendant Travis McMichael, muttered.

"I don't care whether you like my rulings or not or you like me or not," Judge Timothy Walmsley said. "But in this court, the Superior Court, it is axiomatic that counsel show at least respect for what the court is doing. And what you just did shows a lack of respect for what the court is trying to do here, which is create an environment which is fair to all parties."
It also confirms the McMichael's had no idea what was going on that day with Arbery:

Quote:
But at that time, neither had any knowledge Arbery had done anything wrong, nor that he had been on the construction site, Dunikoski said.
Apparently the father had touched Arbery after the shooting. He pulled out Arbery's arm to check for a weapon, which there wasn't.

It also confirms that Arbery never took anything, but I do have to correct myself. The owner of the house did, in fact, reach out to the police and complain about people accessing the property:

Quote:
Prosecutors showed the jury surveillance videos of Arbery entering the site, each time wandering around and leaving without incident. Other people had also been present on the property, Dunikoski noted. The homeowner had contacted police about the issue several times, Dunikoski said, but told them Arbery -- who was unidentified at the time -- had never taken anything.
All-in-all every single witness seems to be worse and worse for the McMichael's.
Old 10th November 2021, 11:28 AM   #263
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Because the Arbery's, and by extension their lawyer, have the exact same mentality as many here.

"What did I do wrong? He was the wrong type of person in the wrong place. That's completely obvious to me. Why are you asking me all these questions about this or that? He was in the wrong place! Don't you get it? We have a right to keep 'them' out of our neighborhoods."

Their racism is so ingrained in the their very souls that they can't describe it.
Old 10th November 2021, 11:57 AM   #264
plague311
Great minds think...

Ronnie's attorney up just basically pounding repeatedly that he wasn't proud of what happened, he never said anything racist, never swore, never bragged, and only tried to slow Arbery (which hitting him with your car would do, I guess).

Looks like, as someone mentioned, they're gearing up to throw everyone else under the bus. The equivalent of "he was just following orders".
Old 10th November 2021, 01:06 PM   #265
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The defence is trying to get evidence introduced by the back door, that has previously been ruled inadmissible. The prosecutor is on to their game.

ETA: and the judge is having none of it.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 10th November 2021 at 01:27 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 05:31 PM   #266
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I hope the jurors know that the county has only a limited ability to keep their information secret.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 08:14 PM   #267
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sceptic Tank
Then you are blind to reality.

If you really believe that Cletus, Bubba and Billybob would have armed themselves up and chased a white jogger around the neighbourhood with their Pick-up trucks then you are utterly delusional.

smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 12:33 PM   #268
plague311
Great minds think...

Today has only been watching Larry English testify in Sept. of 2021.

Quote:
Larry English Jr. testified in the September deposition that surveillance footage at his property near Brunswick, Georgia, captured people on the property several times in late 2019 and early 2020, and in some instances he called 911 about the intrusions.
Ages apparently ranged from kids to older couples:

Quote:
Early in the deposition, English talked a prosecutor through at least three instances when video recorded people on the property -- two children during the day; a Black man at night in October 2019; and two people English described as a White couple at night in November 2019.
Prosecution is pointing out that "a black man" was on the property, and stuff in his boat was stolen. I'm not sure why because they've already confirmed the stuff that was stolen from his boat was when his boat was at a different location.
Old 11th November 2021, 12:57 PM   #269
Ron Obvious
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I hope the jurors know that the county has only a limited ability to keep their information secret.
I haven't followed this case much, but comments like this truly astonish me. You're not even the first one to say something like this. Please clarify, are you really saying you're hoping that the jury members know their lives and livelihoods are in danger if they reach the "wrong" verdict? And that that's a good thing?
Old 11th November 2021, 04:33 PM   #270
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

Lawyer accidentally reveals secret master plan to influence jurors by dressing people up in Colonel Sanders costumes. More at eleven.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 04:46 PM   #271
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
Lawyer accidentally reveals secret master plan to influence jurors by dressing people up in Colonel Sanders costumes. More at eleven.
And the judge slammed the door on that pretty conclusively!

Old 11th November 2021, 05:02 PM   #272
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And the judge slammed the door on that pretty conclusively!
Almost a shame really. He seemed to be digging a big cringey hole for himself.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 05:14 PM   #273
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
Almost a shame really. He seemed to be digging a big cringey hole for himself.
Yep. The fact that his reference to "Colonel Sanders" invokes images of "fried chicken", the old mainstay in racist depictions of blacks, could not be lost on him.

Old 11th November 2021, 05:35 PM   #274
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
I haven't followed this case much, but comments like this truly astonish me. You're not even the first one to say something like this. Please clarify, are you really saying you're hoping that the jury members know their lives and livelihoods are in danger if they reach the "wrong" verdict? And that that's a good thing?
I think in terms of end states, centers of gravity and key vulnerabilities for those centers of gravity. My desired end state is that the three defendants be held accountable for a lynching. As long as that happens, I don't care about the methods.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 09:25 PM   #275
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I'm starting to feel like maybe even the prime strategy of Roddie's lawyer is to win on appeal. That's what all the motions for mistrial and weird objections about the number of "Bubbas" in the jury pool and "black pastors" in the courtroom and so on are all about. He's just coming up with anything that he can later use on appeal.
Old 12th November 2021, 07:53 AM   #276
plague311
Great minds think...

If we're being honest, the only realistic outcome in this case is that they're guilty of murder. I haven't watched every single moment, but I've definitely watched enough. There's no way these guys aren't guilty of murder.

They're currently playing a bodycam video of police checking the property the time that Travis McMichael said he shined a light on a black man that stuck his hands down his pants, making Travis think he has a gun. Prosecution is kind of playing everything to get ahead of it I guess.

The cop on his body cam said, "I think he's actually a light skinned black boy". Gotta love Georgia

Last edited by plague311; 12th November 2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12th November 2021, 08:13 AM   #277
plague311
Great minds think...

Apparently some guns and other items were stolen out of a jeep. Those thefts were blamed on Arbery, but they're showing stills from the security camera the night the stuff was stolen and it was a white guy.

ETA: I can definitely say that the women I've seen prosecuting this case have been top notch. Not a bumbling moron like in the Rittenhouse case.

Last edited by plague311; 12th November 2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12th November 2021, 08:14 AM   #278
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Apparently some guns and other items were stolen out of a jeep. Those thefts were blamed on Arbery, but they're showing stills from the security camera the night the stuff was stolen and it was a white guy.
That must be a black man in "white face"!
Old 12th November 2021, 08:15 AM   #279
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...

The cop on his body cam said, "I think he's actually a light skinned black boy". Gotta love Georgia
Important to know whether it is one or 2 drops!
Old 12th November 2021, 08:15 AM   #280
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That must be a black man in "white face"!
If it is he did a damn good job doing "white leg" and "white arms" too

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors