IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Facebook incidents , racism charges , school incidents , Texas incidents

Old 3rd August 2021, 09:05 PM   #41
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
I thought it looked a bit like a still from a commercial. Now I'm thinking Summer's Eve.
Understandable. It is one of a series taken by a professional photographer at a family sitting, so production values will be considerably higher than one taken as a selfie with your smartphone.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:08 PM   #42
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
Honestly, that guy is too hot for me to accurately judge the level of sensuality conveyed by the photo. I could watch him wind a watch, and it would still seem a bit sultry somehow. That's a me issue, though!
No lies here.

We need that watch video, soon.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:11 PM   #43
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Did you bother to actually READ the article the OP linked?
Yes. You did not, as we shall soon see.

Quote:
"Some of the photos the district received contained poses that are questionable for an educator, especially a principal or administrator."

So, where are they?
Removed, as the good doctor said he had. In the article. A few other points while we are here, tho:

1) You were arguing with Warp12 about there being only one, and not plural 'photos'. Now you are arguing for plural? As the school used the plural, but we are shown only one, perhaps the Doc forgot to mention that there were others? (he also said he took them down, plural)

2) Scrolling through his feed, there is a pic of him and his wife embracing while looking at their reflection on a mirrored ceiling. Funny, if the issue was their salt and pepper couplehood, that there was no mention or objection to that?

3) The article said there was one parent who lodged the objection. One. Do you still feel confident that this can only be attributed to racism, as opposed to one somewhat prudish parent who found the pic a tad too racy?

4) Everyone says they were kissing. You, too. Does no one here know what a kiss is? He is leaning in, and she backing up a little. They are not even touching.

Quote:
Your problem Thermal
Oh this should be good. I got 99 problems and you don't understand even one.

Quote:
is that for you, racism as the reason behind all the "while black" incidents is always the absolute last thing you will admit. You are an excuse-maker, you try yo come up with every unlikely thing you can imagine or pull out of left field - anything but racism. You almost always totally ignore the context and go looking for other reasons.
Sometimes there aren't enough laughing dogs...

No, smartcooky. I actually live in the US, working and playing with real 21st century black people in racially diverse New Jersey. If you laid this 'white people do this, black people do that' tripe on a brother, he would call your punk ass out for being blatantly racist.

When I see one of these stories, I look at the available evidence. In the absence of declared or obvious motivation, I ask 'what motivates people, in my experience?' Here, since they voted the man as principal, and presumably knew his marital status, the most likely answer is the mild raciness of the lone pic. They appeared not at all to object to others of his wife and kids, so racism should be provisionally ruled out.

You, on the other hand, can only see their races, and project a racist narrative, and won't even consider that it could be something else.

Quote:
The context here is that this is Texas, the very heart of right wing, white supremacist America. Racism being the cause of racist acts ought to be the very first port of call, not the very last!
No. You should never assume reprehensible views about every member of a State. It should certainly be kept in mind as a possibility, but needs to be evidenced to be assumed. Nice work on demonstrating your further stereotypes. You certainly seem full of them.
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:30 PM   #44
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Your body of work speaks for itself - and by the way, have you checked out what Dr Whitfield's mile time is?

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:40 PM   #45
cullennz
Banned

Yes. You did not, as we shall soon see.

Removed, as the good doctor said he had. In the article. A few other points while we are here, tho:

1) You were arguing with Warp12 about there being only one, and not plural 'photos'. Now you are arguing for plural? As the school used the plural, but we are shown only one, perhaps the Doc forgot to mention that there were others? (he also said he took them down, plural)

2) Scrolling through his feed, there is a pic of him and his wife embracing while looking at their reflection on a mirrored ceiling. Funny, if the issue was their salt and pepper couplehood, that there was no mention or objection to that?

3) The article said there was one parent who lodged the objection. One. Do you still feel confident that this can only be attributed to racism, as opposed to one somewhat prudish parent who found the pic a tad too racy?

4) Everyone says they were kissing. You, too. Does no one here know what a kiss is? He is leaning in, and she backing up a little. They are not even touching.

Oh this should be good. I got 99 problems and you don't understand even one.

No, smartcooky. I actually live in the US, working and playing with real 21st century black people in racially diverse New Jersey. If you laid this 'white people do this, black people do that' tripe on a brother, he would call your punk ass out for being blatantly racist.

When I see one of these stories, I look at the available evidence. In the absence of declared or obvious motivation, I ask 'what motivates people, in my experience?' Here, since they voted the man as principal, and presumably knew his marital status, the most likely answer is the mild raciness of the lone pic. They appeared not at all to object to others of his wife and kids, so racism should be provisionally ruled out.

You, on the other hand, can only see their races, and project a racist narrative, and won't even consider that it could be something else.

No. You should never assume reprehensible views about every member of a State. It should certainly be kept in mind as a possibility, but needs to be evidenced to be assumed. Nice work on demonstrating your further stereotypes. You certainly seem full of them.
Thermal.

The OP shows the dude looking like amodel in a commercial still.

I really would prefer my kids to go to a school whose principal wasn't doing this.

Cos he kind of you know. Looks a bit of an idiot. Given the job.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:45 PM   #46
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Thermal.

The OP shows the dude looking like amodel in a commercial still.

I really would prefer my kids to go to a school whose principal wasn't doing this.

Cos he kind of you know. Looks a bit of an idiot. Given the job.
Ok. But what we are talking about is whether this is a #LWB or not, ie is this a race motivated thing. I think it's likely not.
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:49 PM   #47
cullennz
Banned

Ok. But what we are talking about is whether this is a #LWB or not, ie is this a race motivated thing. I think it's likely not.

Agree.

Think it is more dont want a leachy plasticy looking principal running your kids school as probably more worried about their side modelling job.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:55 PM   #48
Venom
Philosopher

He has a personal life. Pearl-clutching parents I think are just flailing. This is high school. Your kids are in similar poses in the homecoming dance and prom.

Or maybe he reminds them of a 'rapper' or something.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:06 PM   #49
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Agree.

Think it is more dont want a leachy plasticy looking principal running your kids school as probably more worried about their side modelling job.
Believe it or not, his looks aren't the slightest bit unusual. We're like neck deep in pretty boys over here.
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:08 PM   #50
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Agree.

What a complete load of sanctimonious, judgemental bollocks!!

Old 3rd August 2021, 11:30 PM   #51
cullennz
Banned

Tough luck.

I want someone to run the school. And have the brains to not post commercial pics which make my kids think he is an idiot.

It is the same reason I would'nt want my kids female teachers with open Facebook or Instagram profiles hanging out in bikinis.

Chose another job.

Obviously you disagree.
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:45 PM   #52
llwyd
Graduate Poster

I have to say that being a Nordic and reading about social issues and debates in the US makes one quite disoriented. I think basically a nude picture of a principal if tasteful and no genitals visible would be fine in Finland - and if it would be about sauna and a swim in the summer cottage it could be quite unsensored. The anglosaxon prudishness is sometimes so weird.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:47 PM   #53
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I want someone to run the school.
Whitford is eminently qualified to be a school principal

And have the brains to not post commercial pics which make my kids think he is an idiot.
So, and stay with me here, posting a personal photo, taken by a professional, family photographer, on his personal Facebook page of him kissing his wife, is making his students think he's a idiot?

'K. Whatever

Obviously you disagree.
You bet. In his position, I would tell the nosey bastards to **** right off and take their bigotry with them!

Last edited by smartcooky; 3rd August 2021 at 11:50 PM.
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:49 PM   #54
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
I have to say that being a Nordic and reading about social issues and debates in the US makes one quite disoriented. I think basically a nude picture of a principal if tasteful and no genitals visible would be fine in Finland - and if it would be about sauna and a swim in the summer cottage it could be quite unsensored. The anglosaxon prudishness is sometimes so weird.
Easy for you to say... you don't have as many black people for racists to complain about.

Old 4th August 2021, 12:01 AM   #55
Lukraak_Sisser
Philosopher

If that photo is considered erotic or sensual in the US you guys are way more repressed than I thought.

The only thing surprising to me as a dutch viewer is how young the guy is. Most dutch school principals are over 50 or so.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 12:05 AM   #56
cullennz
Banned

So, and stay with me here, posting a personal photo, taken by a professional, family photographer, on his personal Facebook page of him kissing his wife, is making his students think he's a idiot?

'K. Whatever

You bet. In his position, I would tell the nosey bastards to **** right off and take their bigotry with them!

Yhat isn't a personal photo. It is obviously a set up commercial photo for the dudes model portfolio.
Old 4th August 2021, 12:11 AM   #57
cullennz
Banned

Bearing in mind it just seems to be a dude having a fit for having to not make a sleazy commercial photo available to his students as his ego and swhose self love is a bit uber, the whole thread seems odd.

Who cares? there are heaps od mirrors in your schools toilets.

Last edited by cullennz; 4th August 2021 at 12:12 AM.
Old 4th August 2021, 12:23 AM   #58
cullennz
Banned

'K. Whatever

Fair enough.

You are fine for your kids to see topless images f their female teachers guzzling wine as they are persnal phtos and a finger cvers the nipples.
Old 4th August 2021, 01:13 AM   #59
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yhat isn't a personal photo. It is obviously a set up commercial photo for the dudes model portfolio.

Nope. You're making stuff up!

It was one of a number of photos taken for their wedding anniversary, by a professional photographer.

As someone who has owned a photolab for 27 years, and has worked as a professional photographer, and who employs a part time professional photographer on my staff, I can speak with authority, and I can tell you that I recognise the style, and that I have seen literally thousands of photos just like that one.

Fair enough.

You are fine for your kids to see topless images f their female teachers guzzling wine as they are persnal phtos and a finger cvers the nipples.
What topless images? Did he post topless images of him or his wife?

Pictures or it didn't happen

Old 4th August 2021, 01:17 AM   #60
cullennz
Banned

'K. Whatever

You said this.

Why would it be different in the scenario I posted if a female teachers Facebook?
Old 4th August 2021, 01:20 AM   #61
cullennz
Banned

But fair enough. I get you don't think a principal has to show bit of professionalism and avoiding posting plasticky crap on open pages.
Old 4th August 2021, 02:02 AM   #62
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
Meanwhile in France ...
True. We're still amused by the utter prudishness of many in the USA for whom the hint of a nipple is outrageous but battlefield weaponry is entirely normal.

Having said that, my daughter's Spanish teacher did leave her job quite rapidly a couple of years ago after some of her students discovered her semi-anonymous account on an online service. Even this broad-minded 50-something was quite taken aback, obviously after having studied the images for quite some time on a good quality screen.
Old 4th August 2021, 02:53 AM   #63
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
If that photo is considered erotic or sensual in the US you guys are way more repressed than I thought.

The only thing surprising to me as a dutch viewer is how young the guy is. Most dutch school principals are over 50 or so.
Well a lot of it has to do with how overtly sexually Americans are trained to view black people.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 02:56 AM   #64
Lukraak_Sisser
Philosopher

But fair enough. I get you don't think a principal has to show bit of professionalism and avoiding posting plasticky crap on open pages.
Professionalism =/= showing you are in love with your wife.

In fact, as far as I am concerned it sets a good example for students. Love is good and can and should be shown, not hidden because it's 'unprofessional'
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 03:24 AM   #65
3point14
Pi

This is ust weird.

Either it's completely racist or there's a bizarre expectation that educators be chaste.

Both of which are unacceptable.

Newsflash one: Mixed race couples exist. Deal with it or be left behind like the racist git you are.

Newsflash two:

Teachers, like almost everyone else, ****.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 03:33 AM   #66
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
Honestly, that guy is too hot for me to accurately judge the level of sensuality conveyed by the photo. I could watch him wind a watch, and it would still seem a bit sultry somehow. That's a me issue, though!
You're a bad girl!

Seriously, when a black man kissing a white woman is considered "inappropriate" and "offensive"...
Still you avoid the obvious and repeated fact that the other photos might have been the problem rather than that one.

You mean as opposed to the bloke who's screeching "RACISM!" on the evidence of an unknown number of unseen photos?

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Either it's completely racist or there's a bizarre expectation that educators be chaste.
Or, there are other photos that might actually be somewhat offensive.
Old 4th August 2021, 03:38 AM   #67
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Or, there are other photos that might actually be somewhat offensive.

Or he's an alien from the planet Spod and his wife is a podperson?

Seriously, if you're just going to make **** up we may as well make the discussion more entertaining.

Until somone produces 'somewhat offensive' photos (Becuase that's what people put on facebook, my feed is full of folks posting pictures of themselves *******. Oh, wait. No, it isn't.) then your argument is just so much hot air.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 03:54 AM   #68
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

It's ironic that, on the new posts page right at the moment, a thread arguing whether photos of a man suggestive of the fact that he has a sexual relationship with his wife are offensive is directly above one arguing whether overtly sexualised outfits for sportswomen are completely OK. There seems to be more than the faintest hint of a double standard.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 04:04 AM   #69
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
It's ironic that, on the new posts page right at the moment, a thread arguing whether photos of a man suggestive of the fact that he has a sexual relationship with his wife are offensive is directly above one arguing whether overtly sexualised outfits for sportswomen are completely OK. There seems to be more than the faintest hint of a double standard.

Dave
Overt sexuality is only allowed when it positively effects someone's bottom line...

Old 4th August 2021, 06:07 AM   #70
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Yahoo news currently has up an article from People magazine which has more details about this -- and which includes what looks like the a screen shot of the Facebook page in question.

The graphic posted at the top of the People article gives a much more complete view of the picture than the image of that picture included in the opening post of this thread. The OP image is apparently only a fraction of the picture being talked about (about 1/6 of it, I'd estimate), focused on their heads; the full picture shows their complete selves and a good portion of the beach as well. (I'd call it romantic rather than erotic when seen in full, but that's simply my opinion and other people might see it differently.)

In addition, the People image of the page is large enough to display several more of the pictures sharing the Facebook page with that one. I'd recommend that people interested in discussing this story click the link to view the People article.

The People article also includes some additional details about criticisms and attacks Whitfield says that some people in the district had been making on him prior to the Facebook picture incident:

Quote:
The principal also claimed he was "vilified" for introducing critical race theory after co-leading a "Breaking the Barriers" presentation with two colleagues — one of whom had curated the program...

"This presentation has been used to vilify my colleagues and me," Whitfield argued in his post. "The fact that they know I am not the creator of this presentation and falsely label me as such is one piece of how race plays into their hateful agenda. Again, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the presentation, it was approved for us to present by the district."

The principal also claimed he was criticized after outwardly supporting the Southern Poverty Law Center, which helps fight structural racism.

"There are numerous examples of these sorts of racist threats and statements directed my way," Whitfield wrote in his post. "At the last GCISD school board meeting, an individual was allowed to speak my name in a public open forum (against the rules) and I can no longer maintain my silence in the face of this hate, intolerance, racism, and bigotry."

Allegedly, one of the parents who accused him of teaching critical race theory was also the one who complained about his anniversary photos, KXAS reported.
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 06:15 AM   #71
Belz...
Fiend God

Gee I'm surprised to see the usual people on the usual side of the discussion.

Shocked, I say.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 06:19 AM   #72
Belz...
Fiend God

Bwhahahaha! Brilliant!!!
And in Québec.

Seriously, Americans are so ridiculously prudish... or that's what I would say if America wasn't such a leading producer of porn. Nah, even back in the day you'd have pictures of men and women about to kiss or kissing on movie posters and the like. But then, they were both white. No issue.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 06:24 AM   #73
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
And in Québec.

Seriously, Americans are so ridiculously prudish...
Except when there's plausible deniability.

c.f. Cheerleaders, Fox News ladies, WWE and other things that aren't at all sexual at all, honest, just good, wholesome fun...

Quote:
or that's what I would say if America wasn't such a leading producer of porn. Nah, even back in the day you'd have pictures of men and women about to kiss or kissing on movie posters and the like. But then, they were both white. No issue.

Old 4th August 2021, 06:27 AM   #74
Belz...
Fiend God

It's unprofessional to have pictures of you and your wife on your personal Facebook? What?

Old 4th August 2021, 06:53 AM   #75
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
Meanwhile in France ...
Whenever I am lacking direction on issues of a sexual/erotic nature, I look to France. Especially when it comes to young girls.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 06:55 AM   #76
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
And in Québec.

Seriously, Americans are so ridiculously prudish... or that's what I would say if America wasn't such a leading producer of porn. Nah, even back in the day you'd have pictures of men and women about to kiss or kissing on movie posters and the like. But then, they were both white. No issue.
Obviously not so prudish that they wouldn't vote for Mr "grab 'em by the pussy" as their president.

Old 4th August 2021, 07:01 AM   #77
Belz...
Fiend God

Obviously not so prudish that they wouldn't vote for Mr "grab 'em by the pussy" as their president.
As I said, that's what I would say if I didn't know Americans.

Old 4th August 2021, 07:04 AM   #78
angrysoba
Philosophile

Wait…. What? People are upset about a picture that appears on his Facebook page? I mean, if he decided to use that picture as his profile picture on the school website then, yeah, you could say “not really appropriate!” But this is his personal Facebook picture? Wow! Some people need to wind their necks in!
Old 4th August 2021, 07:10 AM   #79
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well a lot of it has to do with how overtly sexually Americans are trained to view black people.
Could you elaborate on this?

How is an "overtly sexual" American identified and what training do they receive?

Is there a data base for the above, especially females (asking for a friend)?

Why are only "overtly sexual" Americans chosen to receive this training?

Exactly how are they trained to "view" black people?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 07:13 AM   #80
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Wait…. What? People are upset about a picture that appears on his Facebook page? I mean, if he decided to use that picture as his profile picture on the school website then, yeah, you could say “not really appropriate!” But this is his personal Facebook picture? Wow! Some people need to wind their necks in!
He is on FB as a "public figure". Hence, he invites exposure, and all that comes with it.

Last edited by Warp12; 4th August 2021 at 07:14 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events