IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , immigration issues , joe biden , racism charges

Old 26th November 2021, 11:32 PM   #1
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Joe Biden: racist?

"Trump further diminished the U.S. in the eyes of the world by expanding his travel ban. This new 'African Ban' is designed to make it harder for black and brown people to immigrate to the United States. It’s a disgrace, and we cannot let him succeed." --Joe Biden Feb 1, 2020

U.S. imposes travel ban from eight African countries over Omicron variant

Last edited by sir drinks-a-lot; 26th November 2021 at 11:43 PM.
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 11:35 PM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump's travel-bans were racist, since he blocked travel from some, but not other countries with high rates of Covid.
Old 26th November 2021, 11:38 PM   #3
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump's travel-bans were racist, since he blocked travel from some, but not other countries with high rates of Covid.
Cite? And while you're at it, show that Biden's not doing the same, and also show that there's a correlation to race.
Old 26th November 2021, 11:40 PM   #4
Warp12
Banned

There is no such thing as a racist Democrat. Just ask one.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 11:47 PM   #5
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Just think, the President of the United States banning entire countries from visiting based on nothing but skin color.
Old 27th November 2021, 12:52 AM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
At least Democrats don't pretend that Racism doesn't exist, and ban all education on the subject.
Republicans think that taking about racism is what's causing it, instead of hundreds of years of institutional racism.
Old 27th November 2021, 02:11 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

A fine example of Betteridge's law of headlines.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 02:17 AM   #8
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Just think, the President of the United States banning entire countries from visiting based on nothing but skin color.
You meant “based on nothing but a new variant of Covid, one that is potentially more infectious than the Delta ones and that our vaccines may not be as effective.”

Easy mistake to make when you classify people based on their skin colour.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 02:33 AM   #9
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Do you ever have anything other than snide or insulting comments to contribute? Because I certainly haven't seen them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 02:45 AM   #10
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

"Trump further diminished the U.S. in the eyes of the world by expanding his travel ban. This new 'African Ban' is designed to make it harder for black and brown people to immigrate to the United States. It’s a disgrace, and we cannot let him succeed." --Joe Biden Feb 1, 2020

You might have a point if only people of color from those countries were being banned from entry. Or do you think white South Africans are going to be allowed in on a special "YAB*" pass? The EU and Canada have also issued the same travel ban.
*You Ain't Black

Is politicizing matters of public health now part of the official GOP platform?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 03:47 AM   #11
Cain
Straussian

A characteristically bad faith, right-wing post. It reminds me of Trump-supporters saying, "Hey! The MSM originally called COVID Wuhan-Flu, but now that's considered racist. What hypocrites."
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 04:35 AM   #12
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You meant “based on nothing but a new variant of Covid, one that is potentially more infectious than the Delta ones and that our vaccines may not be as effective.”

Easy mistake to make when you classify people based on their skin colour.
I agree with Darat

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 05:22 AM   #13
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Do you ever have anything other than snide or insulting comments to contribute? Because I certainly haven't seen them.
He’s been desperate for liberal tears to drink since late 2018 so…..
Old 27th November 2021, 05:35 AM   #14
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
He’s been desperate for liberal tears to drink since late 2018 so…..
Fortunately, I stumbled upon this oasis.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 05:40 AM   #15
catsmate
No longer the 1

As I'm entirely sure you're aware, that is a complete lie. But typical.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 05:44 AM   #16
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Baylor became adept at finding examples of black people being criticized for whatever reason and claiming that any criticism of a black person was racist.
I am not at all surprised to see sir drinks-a-lot picking up the baton.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 06:33 AM   #17
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Parroting the right-wing talking points, huh? I saw this meme floating around on twitter yesterday.

Just so I can stay on top of things, what’s your preferred source for things you should be outraged about at a time?
Old 27th November 2021, 08:17 AM   #18
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Parroting the right-wing talking points, huh?
Whenever I see a leftist screech about "Parroting", I just have to laugh. Especially around here.

Contrary to popular belief, leftists do not fear guns. Mirrors, on the other hand...

Last edited by Warp12; 27th November 2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 27th November 2021, 08:33 AM   #19
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

[void]
I... Wow.

That post was so much lacking in substance, it created a vacuum and literally sucked.
Old 27th November 2021, 08:50 AM   #20
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

It's hard to look at Biden's long political history and not come to the conclusion that, if not personally racist, he's more than comfortable pandering to racist sentiments.

There's way riper fields to harvest from than targeted, time-limited restrictions to a small number of plague infected countries in Africa.
Old 27th November 2021, 09:05 AM   #21
rdwight
Graduate Poster

There really is no difference between this and the original travel ban. Look at the countries that are being blocked and which countries are not. I am not even in disagreement over it, but to act like this is different somehow is just reaching.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 09:16 AM   #22
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
There really is no difference between this and the original travel ban. Look at the countries that are being blocked and which countries are not. I am not even in disagreement over it, but to act like this is different somehow is just reaching.
I don't know the details of the current ban, but Trump's "ban" were really travel restrictions that didn't apply to everyone coming from those countries and occurred too late to prevent the spread anyway.

To my knowledge, omicron hasn't reached the US yet, has it? If what Biden has put into place is an actual ban (no travel from those countries regardless of who you are) and omicron isn't actually here, there is a substantial difference right there.

Again, I have not read into what Biden's ban entails.
Old 27th November 2021, 09:23 AM   #23
Warp12
Banned

I'm really laughing at how the OP's point is going over certain people's heads.
Old 27th November 2021, 09:31 AM   #24
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Are false equivalencies a point?
Old 27th November 2021, 09:32 AM   #25
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Are false equivalencies a point?
Think harder, bro.
Old 27th November 2021, 11:34 AM   #26
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
They're totally different!

One of the bans diminished the U.S. in the eyes of the world, was designed to make it harder for black and brown people to immigrate to the United States, and was a complete disgrace.

The other one follows the science, and it totally appropriate. It also, we can only assume, enhances the U.S. in the eyes of the world.
Old 27th November 2021, 11:40 AM   #27
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

You might have a point if only people of color from those countries were being banned from entry. Or do you think white South Africans are going to be allowed in on a special "YAB*" pass?

*You Ain't Black
Shame on you. The YAB* moniker is reserved for dark skinned individuals who didn't vote for Biden. Only dark-skinned individuals who think the right way are allowed to refer to themselves as black. You really haven't been following Joe's campaigning, have you?

*You Ain't Black
Old 27th November 2021, 11:41 AM   #28
Venom
Philosopher

I don't think Trump admin's COVID-19 bans were racist.

And I don't think the one under Biden's is either.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 11:55 AM   #29
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Gotta love the bad faith arguments from people who love the openly racist GQP.
Old 27th November 2021, 11:55 AM   #30
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
A characteristically bad faith, right-wing post. It reminds me of Trump-supporters saying, "Hey! The MSM originally called COVID Wuhan-Flu, but now that's considered racist. What hypocrites."
It really is. Bad faith, trolling nonsense.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 01:31 PM   #31
sackett
Philosopher

But -- But I -- I don't understand!

I thought -- But SURELY racism is a right wing virtue?

If Biden is coming around at LAST to the pureblood ethos,* the truly RIGHT way of feeling, isn't that what our whitey tighties want? I'm so CONFUSED!

* I love to use that word! I don't know what it means and I don't CARE!

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 01:42 PM   #32
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I don't think Trump admin's COVID-19 bans were racist.

And I don't think the one under Biden's is either.

"Bans", plural, no, because that includes all such bans, even those enacted later in the pandemic.

But his initial ban on (*some) travel between the US and China was clearly racially motivated. It didn't adequately serve the alleged purpose, and at the time was the only such ban proposed, even though at the time, it was clear that COVID was already in many other, non-China, countries.

The initial travel ban was nothing more than Trump having an excuse to ban Chinese travel to the US, which he wanted to do anyways because he was losing the Trade War with China that he started.

Subsequent bans only came about when it was clear even to Trump that someone had to take COVID seriously.

TL;DR: Trump tried to be racist in his travel bans, but the pandemic overtook even his racism.
Old 27th November 2021, 02:30 PM   #33
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Donny's "ban" was a selective brown-skin Muslim ban, excluding his own buddies. Biden's ban is a COVID ban for all of southern Africa, for everyone. So the OP started with a blatant falsehood, and the usual suspects happily climbed onboard from there. Not even clever ****-stirring.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 02:38 PM   #34
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Shame on you. The YAB* moniker is reserved for dark skinned individuals who didn't vote for Biden. Only dark-skinned individuals who think the right way are allowed to refer to themselves as black. You really haven't been following Joe's campaigning, have you?

*You Ain't Black
I see you fail to address the point of my post: are only people of color being banned from entering or does that extend to white people, too?

No need to explain why you ignored that and reverted to the above strawman: it's painfully obvious.
Old 27th November 2021, 02:39 PM   #35
rdwight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
But his initial ban on (*some) travel between the US and China was clearly racially motivated. It didn't adequately serve the alleged purpose, and at the time was the only such ban proposed, even though at the time, it was clear that COVID was already in many other, non-China, countries.
Again, none of this is different than the current situation. Belgium has community spread already, see as how the cases there have no interaction with the affected countries. I don't see them on the banned flight list. If the 10% of passengers on 2 flights that reached the Netherlands turns out to be majority omnicron, we can all but guarantee it is everywhere. This does not mean the policy is necessarily a bad idea, just that it is not really a big change from what happened in the past.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 02:43 PM   #36
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
So the OP started with a blatant falsehood, and the usual suspects happily climbed onboard from there. Not even clever ****-stirring.
The OP is nothing but a Biden quote and a Reuters headline. Which one contains the blatant falsehood?
Old 27th November 2021, 02:47 PM   #37
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

I see you fail to address the point of my post: are only people of color being banned from entering or does that extend to white people, too?
The answer is the same for both Trump and Biden’s restrictions. So are they racist or not? Biden seems to think they are. Oh, wait, no he doesn’t. Oh, wait…
Old 27th November 2021, 03:30 PM   #38
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Fortunately, I stumbled upon this oasis.
Whenever I see a leftist screech about "Parroting", I just have to laugh. Especially around here.

Contrary to popular belief, leftists do not fear guns. Mirrors, on the other hand...
Think harder, bro.
Question answered then.
Old 27th November 2021, 03:36 PM   #39
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The answer is the same for both Trump and Biden’s restrictions. So are they racist or not? Biden seems to think they are. Oh, wait, no he doesn’t. Oh, wait…
Oh, get off it. This is about as intellectually dishonest as an 'argument' can be. Stop embarrassing yourself.
Old 27th November 2021, 04:28 PM   #40
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Your post is racist. How do we know this?

Bangladesh suspends travel to South Africa amid fears of Omicron variant spread
Quote:
Bangladesh on Saturday suspended travel from South Africa immediately, joining a growing list of countries banning travel to the country amid fears of the spread of the new coronavirus variant, Omicron, first detected there...

Countries around the world are currently racing to introduce travel bans and restrictions on southern African countries in an effort to contain Omicron's spread...

Other countries include Mauritius, Israel, Sri Lanka, the US and the Netherlands
You imply that Biden (who is white) is racist for banning travel from South Africa, but nary a peep about countries whose leaders are Indian, Sri Lankan or Jewish. Why? Because they aren't 'white'?

But it gets worse than that. 8.4% of South Africans are white, so that means you are accusing Biden of racism against his own people! And many other African nations are not on the list, implying that this 'racism' is very selective.

But it seems your racism is very selective too. Let's be honest here, the real reason for your selectivity is that Biden is a Democrat. You know, that group you hate for no other reason than that they aren't part of your tribe. Skin color is not the only defining factor of racist belief.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics