IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , immigration issues , joe biden , racism charges

Old 27th November 2021, 04:35 PM   #41
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Wow, there's stretching a point, then there's blatant nonsense like your post.

Kenya has implemented the exact same ban as USA.

Are Kenyans racist against blacks and Africans?
Old 27th November 2021, 04:36 PM   #42
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Your post is racist. How do we know this?

Bangladesh suspends travel to South Africa amid fears of Omicron variant spreadYou imply that Biden (who is white) is racist for banning travel from South Africa, but nary a peep about countries whose leaders are Indian, Sri Lankan or Jewish. Why? Because they aren't 'white'?

But it gets worse than that. 8.4% of South Africans are white, so that means you are accusing Biden of racism against his own people! And many other African nations are not on the list, implying that this 'racism' is very selective.

But it seems your racism is very selective too. Let's be honest here, the real reason for your selectivity is that Biden is a Democrat. You know, that group you hate for no other reason than that they aren't part of your tribe. Skin color is not the only defining factor of racist belief.
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I'm really laughing at how the OP's point is going over certain people's heads.
It keeps getting more funny.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 04:38 PM   #43
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No person not wearing pants, their fly is not down. You did not "gotcha" them to prove they are just as bad.

F minus trolling, please try again.
Old 27th November 2021, 05:04 PM   #44
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

It keeps getting more funny.
Steely Dan has a great album about stuff like this. It’s called “Pretzel Logic”. I knew there’d be some struggling to reconcile the Reuters article and the Biden quote, but I didn’t expect it to be this entertaining.
Old 28th November 2021, 12:07 AM   #45
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Steely Dan has a great album about stuff like this. It’s called “Pretzel Logic”. I knew there’d be some struggling to reconcile the Reuters article and the Biden quote, but I didn’t expect it to be this entertaining.
I bet you think Trump really knocked out Vince McMahon at that 2007 Wrestlemania event, too, dontcha?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2021, 12:33 AM   #46
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I bet you think Trump really knocked out Vince McMahon at that 2007 Wrestlemania event, too, dontcha?
There is no doubt that professional wrestling is staged. Just like there is no doubt that Biden used to chum it up with segregationists.

Joe Biden didn't just compromise with segregationists. He fought for their cause in schools, experts say.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...their-n1021626

Maybe Kamala Harris was onto something, after all? Personally, I don't consider him to be a racist. But, considering his age, and those he hung around the water cooler with, I wouldn't be surprised if he knows a pretty good assortment of jokes about "them negroes".
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2021, 12:36 AM   #47
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I’ve seen laughably ridiculous threads in politics over the past few years, but this takes the cake.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2021, 12:57 AM   #48
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Wow, there's stretching a point, then there's blatant nonsense like your post.

Kenya has implemented the exact same ban as USA.

Are Kenyans racist against blacks and Africans?
What you're responding to is a Reuters news feed.
Old 28th November 2021, 01:22 AM   #49
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

I don't consider him to be a racist. But,
"I'm not saying Biden's a racist, but..."

Quote:
considering his age, and those he hung around the water cooler with, I wouldn't be surprised if he knows a pretty good assortment of jokes about "them negroes".
Speaking from personal experience?

I grew up in a time and place when such jokes were commonplace, yet for some reason I can't recall any. However you 'wouldn't be surprised' if Biden 'knew' lots of them - this despite having 'serious mental decline' according to conservatives. A very selective memory loss apparently...

But I'm not surprised you purport to believe this - after all a partisan's gotta do what a partisan's gotta do.
Old 28th November 2021, 02:23 AM   #50
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

What you're responding to is a Reuters news feed.
No, he is responding your post.

You see, when someone posts a link with no critique of the contents, that means they are using it to bolster their own argument. You posited that Joe Biden is racist, and you used that news article as support for it. Don't think you can get away with it just because you didn't explicitly make the connection - we all know what you meant.

But what's worse is is you know it's a false equivalence. The words from Biden that you quoted were in response to this:-

Trump administration expands travel ban
Quote:
President Donald Trump will expand his contentious travel ban, placing new restrictions on six additional countries, just as he embarks on a tough reelection campaign where he will tout his hard-line stance on immigration...

The initial executive order, which followed a call from Trump during the 2016 campaign for a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States,” initially denied visas to citizens of seven majority-Muslim countries. It was later modified as it went through a series of court challenges...

The initial travel ban was extremely polarizing... while 39 percent of registered voters approved of expanding the travel ban, 41 percent opposed it... Support or opposition fell largely along party lines. Close to three-quarters of Republicans backed an expansion, while two-thirds of Democrats — and 42 percent of independents — opposed expanding the ban.
The current travel ban has nothing to do with race, culture or nationality - but purely stopping the spread of a virus which is potentially much more deadly than those we are currently battling. You know this. You also know that Trump's immigration bans were racially motivated.

But this difference didn't stop you from arguing that if Trump's bans on immigration were racist, so were Biden's travel restrictions to prevent spread of a deadly virus. It doesn't bother you that the reasons are completely different, you just found ammunition for another partisan attack and went with it.

You should be worried about whether we will survive the Omicron virus, not using it as fodder for meritless partisan attacks. Not only is this action intellectually dishonest, it's obnoxious. A lot of people will die from this latest variant, perhaps even more if political attacks like yours reduce our ability to respond to it. If that happens the blood will be on your hands.
Old 28th November 2021, 02:30 AM   #51
Warp12
Banned

To hear someone complain about partisan politics in this environment...what a zinger!
Old 28th November 2021, 02:31 AM   #52
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

There is no doubt that professional wrestling is staged. Just like there is no doubt that Biden used to chum it up with segregationists.

Joe Biden didn't just compromise with segregationists. He fought for their cause in schools, experts say.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...their-n1021626

Maybe Kamala Harris was onto something, after all? Personally, I don't consider him to be a racist. But, considering his age, and those he hung around the water cooler with, I wouldn't be surprised if he knows a pretty good assortment of jokes about "them negroes".
Busing was a very controversial subject in the 70's and Biden did not like the idea of forced busing.
“I did not oppose busing in America. What I opposed is busing ordered by the Department of Education. That’s what I opposed.”

He sponsored "a bill that would limit the power of courts to order school desegregation with busing." He was not against school desegregation.

Quote:
Apart from the busing issue, Biden developed a legislative history in other areas key to black Americans over his decades in the Senate. It includes support for fair housing, employment and voting rights, as well as credit and lending equality and opposition to the apartheid in South Africa.

Today, Biden has an army of defenders in the Congressional Black Caucus and in Democratic political circles.

Former Rep. Lee Hamilton, D-Ind., described Biden as an inclusive, energetic supporter of civil rights — and said the busing issue was an exception.

“He disappointed, if you would, mainstream progressive Democrats, including me, and yet I considered him an ally in most fights and was always glad to have him on my side,” Hamilton said.

I can just hear the screeching and howling of conservative parents now if the courts ordered their children to be bussed miles away from their own neighborhoods and having to spend an hour more each way every day. They'd be yelling their heads off about 'parental rights' and 'You can't tell me where my kid has to go to school!"
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2021, 02:37 AM   #53
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
<predictable Dem apologism>
Quoting Kamala Harris:

Quote:
“I do not believe you are a racist and I agree with you when you commit yourself to the importance of finding common ground.

Harris continued, "But, I also believe—and it's personal. And I—I was actually very—it was hurtful to hear you talk about the reputations of two United States senators who built their reputations and career on segregation of race in this country."
I mean, she doesn't consider him a racist, either. Especially not now, after she accepted her role as a Dem token. But, it is easy to spin such narratives, isn't it?
Old 28th November 2021, 03:00 AM   #54
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quoting Kamala Harris:

I mean, she doesn't consider him a racist, either. Especially not now, after she accepted her role as a Dem token. But, it is easy to spin such narratives, isn't it?
Yeah, I suppose he could have refused to work with racist senators but then he would have had to work mostly by himself considering the amount of racism then. And he certainly couldn't have worked with Trump. Or MTG or Boebert.

You seem to find it very easy to spin narratives. It's what you do. But your biggest narrative spin failure is to convince anyone you're not a Trump supporter, Duckie.
Old 28th November 2021, 07:48 AM   #55
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

"Biden used to do what we want! What a Racist!"
Old 28th November 2021, 08:50 AM   #56
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I’ve seen laughably ridiculous threads in politics over the past few years, but this takes the cake.
It's an excellent reflection of what passes for conservatism in America and on this forum in recent years.

I was born and raised a Republican. I voted for Nixon. I never left the Republican Party, it left me.
Old 28th November 2021, 08:54 AM   #57
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's an excellent reflection of what passes for conservatism in America and on this forum in recent years.

I was born and raised a Republican. I voted for Nixon. I never left the Republican Party, it left me.
You think that is bad, you ought to see what passes for liberalism these days...
Old 28th November 2021, 10:53 AM   #58
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

"A wall will not stop the coronavirus.

Banning all travel from Europe — or any other part of the world — will not stop it."
--Joe Biden, March 12, 2020
Old 28th November 2021, 11:49 AM   #59
carlitos
"más divertido"

Grow up, already. Jesus.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2021, 12:34 PM   #60
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Grow up, already. Jesus.
Seconded.
Old 28th November 2021, 12:44 PM   #61
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

"A wall will not stop the coronavirus.

Banning all travel from Europe — or any other part of the world — will not stop it."
--Joe Biden, March 12, 2020
I'm trying to figure whether you're being deliberately obtuse or spectacularly stupid.

The object - as has been repeated across the world - is to buy time, not keep it out.

Let me help with some simple maths.

If you have one case that infects 5 other in three days, in just 15 days days you'll have 3125 cases.

If you start with 50 cases, in 15 days you'll have 31250 cases.

Which number is easier to deal with?
Old 28th November 2021, 01:16 PM   #62
Warp12
Banned

Now we have entered a new stage of "people not getting it".

This is fabulous.

Last edited by Warp12; 28th November 2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 28th November 2021, 02:11 PM   #63
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

To hear someone complain about partisan politics in this environment...what a zinger!
I mean, she [Harris] doesn't consider him a racist, either. Especially not now, after she accepted her role as a Dem token. But, it is easy to spin such narratives, isn't it?
You think that is bad, you ought to see what passes for liberalism these days...
Now we have entered a new stage of "people not getting it".

This is fabulous.
Not one constructive comment, just boring, pathetic ****-stirring. You should get a job at OAN with ease, if you don't already have one.

You and the OP score zero stars and no likes. Do not visit this establishment.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2021, 02:34 PM   #64
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Honestly I don't see how Joe Biden could *not* be racist. I'm also not sure how it would matter to questions of policy like this.
Old 28th November 2021, 08:31 PM   #65
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
There really is no difference between this and the original travel ban. Look at the countries that are being blocked and which countries are not. I am not even in disagreement over it, but to act like this is different somehow is just reaching.
The Trump Travel ban only applied to people who were ethnically Chinese. Vast numbers of people who were not ethnically Chinese continued to travel from China to the US. That is what made the Trump travel bans racist.

Trumps "ban" was also far to late to accomplish anything because Covid was already heading out of control in the US while it was on the way to containment in China.

Not that Biden's bans will turn out any better in the long run, conservatives have turned the US into a country that fails at literally everything. They won't just ignore the experts, they will undermine everything the experts say to do and as a result the US will fail again, just like they have set the US up for failure in almost everything over the last 20-25 years.
Old 28th November 2021, 08:42 PM   #66
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Not that Biden's bans will turn out any better in the long run, conservatives have turned the US into a country that fails at literally everything. They won't just ignore the experts, they will undermine everything the experts say to do and as a result the US will fail again, just like they have set the US up for failure in almost everything over the last 20-25 years.

At this point, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they started smuggling in people from South Africa, because of "Mah Freedums!"
Old 28th November 2021, 10:15 PM   #67
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

The Trump Travel ban only applied to people who were ethnically Chinese. Vast numbers of people who were not ethnically Chinese continued to travel from China to the US. That is what made the Trump travel bans racist.
This sounds like make-believe. Do you have a cite for the part in bold?
Old 29th November 2021, 04:19 PM   #68
rdwight
Graduate Poster

Trumps "ban" was also far to late to accomplish anything because Covid was already heading out of control in the US while it was on the way to containment in China.
I can only imagine you are confusing something like the ability of US citizens and nationals to continue to travel back to the US for what you wrote. That would of course include ethnically Chinese Americans/nationals that fit that description as well. The same remains true with Biden's current travel ban. Functionally I am not seeing any difference between them.

Last edited by rdwight; 29th November 2021 at 04:21 PM.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 12:12 AM   #69
Cain
Straussian

More of the usual liberal hypocrisy. They believe in reproductive rights for women, but not COVID.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 02:12 AM   #70
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
More of the usual liberal hypocrisy. They believe in reproductive rights for women, but not COVID.
I say we outlaw Remdesivir, Covid's Plan B!
Old 1st December 2021, 04:00 PM   #71
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The attempts by the Trumpers here to deflect are truly pathetic.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2021, 04:49 PM   #72
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Not pathetic, Deplorable.

Pathetic means 'miserably inadequate; of very low standard'. Deplorable is in another league. Twisted facts, 'deniable' innuendo, barely hidden agendas, brazen lies that they know will be called out on. Deplorables don't care. They got a punch in that hurts, and that's all that matters.

But don't mistake them for Trumpers. They would be this way whoever the last Republican president was.
Old 1st December 2021, 04:53 PM   #73
Warp12
Banned

The beauty is, the die-hard Dems still can't see the real message of their double-standards.

It's awesome, quite frankly.
Old 1st December 2021, 04:55 PM   #74
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It's hard to look at Biden's long political history and not come to the conclusion that, if not personally racist, he's more than comfortable pandering to racist sentiments.

There's way riper fields to harvest from than targeted, time-limited restrictions to a small number of plague infected countries in Africa.
Yeah, it's not like Biden has a history free of evidence of racial biases, but this call just ain't it.

Not that I'm arguing it's a good call. I think it's silly because the variant probably doesn't even originate in Southern Africa, even if it did it's obviously not limited to spreading there at this point, the ban doesn't even stop people who are there from coming here if they're American, and the ban just incentivizes places to test less and not tell others when they do find stuff like this.

They should put in strict (and temporary) quarantine measures for all people coming in from areas it is currently shown to have spread even if they are Americans until more data is available.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2021, 04:55 PM   #75
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
This comment is extra hilarious coming on the second page of a thread about Joe Biden.
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:38 AM   #76
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Fox News sure seems to think so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg biden.jpg (59.1 KB, 5 views)

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 09:11 AM   #77
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

This comment is extra hilarious coming on the second page of a thread about Joe Biden.
*checks first post*

Yeah, I wonder how Trump got brought into this conversation.
Old 3rd December 2021, 07:59 PM   #78
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

There are no white people in South Africa??? This is news to me.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:28 PM   #79
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

The beauty is, the die-hard Dems still can't see the real message of their double-standards.

It's awesome, quite frankly.
Double-standards? Right.

Deplorable.
Old 4th December 2021, 07:36 PM   #80
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Fox News sure seems to think so.
Sadly, I don't know if this is serious or a joke.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics