ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun laws , Washington politics

Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM   #161
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Not really. I expect that most of the people that use them like them because having the gun go boom boom really fast causes a large spike in their adrenaline and endorphin levels as they waste $16+ in small metal projectiles.
It's entertainment. It's not a waste if they feel good about it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM   #162
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
While fantasizing about the targets being people. It's a fetish.
Knowing that this forum encourages evidence based arguments and claims, I was wondering how you came to this conclusion.

How does target shooting as a means to train murderers compare to non-firearm martial arts and other contact sports in which the practitioner trains to beat a person to death with their own hands? Is it a fetish or something else?

Last edited by Ranb; Yesterday at 08:40 AM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #163
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
How accurate do you have to be to hit a crowd?
Seems like a family sedan-sized group would be ideal for that purpose.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM   #164
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's entertainment. It's not a waste if they feel good about it.
Or maybe it's a cry for help.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #165
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Or maybe it's a cry for help.
No more so than any martial art practiced for sport.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM   #166
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

No more so than any martial art practiced for sport.
Nonsense, and irrelevant anyway.
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #167
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Knowing that this forum encourages evidence based arguments and claims, I was wondering how you came to this conclusion.
I'm using the same evidence standards at the NRA.

Quote:

How does target shooting as a means to train murderers compare to non-firearm martial arts and other contact sports in which the practitioner trains to beat a person to death with their own hands? Is it a fetish or something else?
Because shooting targets is done to increase the ability to shoot people. Martial artists don't have "the deadly" hands except in movies.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM   #168
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Nonsense, and irrelevant anyway.
Every kind of sense, and supremely relevant to the line of attack thaiboxerken has undertaken.
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #169
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Because shooting targets is done to increase the ability to shoot people. Martial artists don't have "the deadly" hands except in movies.
How do you explain Olympic biathletes?
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM   #170
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

How do you explain Olympic biathletes?
Fetishists.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM   #171
Ranb
Philosopher

I'm expecting one hell of a lot better than NRA standards even from you. Why not raise your standards to something that is not so disgusting?

Because shooting targets is done to increase the ability to shoot people.
I'm not planning on shooting anyone; why do you insult me like that?

Martial artists don't have "the deadly" hands except in movies.
I know what movie violence is. I'm also not so naive as to believe that a person can't be beaten to death by another with their bare hands. Why are you trying to make us believe that you're not training to be a better killer when you kickbox?
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM   #172
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe I am, but that doesn't matter. No one is calling to ban marksmanship. You can train to kill with guns all you want.

I'm just calling for people to not have easy access to weapons of mass murder.
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #173
mgidm86
Illuminator

Wow another ban that will do nothing. I listened to the radio on my way home today and most people calling in don't even know what a bump stock is, nor that it has (to my knowledge) been used in exactly one "mass" shooting, ever.

"Wow I was so surprised to hear Trump talk about bump stock banning, gee he's doing something!" No he is not don't be an idiot.

As much as I've changed my opinion about guns, this is just more stupidity to placate the dipsticks. I have not changed my opinion on meaningless or stupid laws.

Also, I said recently "to be clear, I do not think owning a gun should be a right". I'm not actually sure how I feel about that, and I don't pretend to have answers for all of this.

The only way this changes is if gun enthusiasts one day agree that the gun thing isn't worth it, and I don't see that happening in my lifetime.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM   #174
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

More than one Kendoka owns a live blade or blades. Would you consider them to be murderers-in-practice?

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM   #175
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
More than one Kendoka owns a live blade or blades. Would you consider them to be murderers-in-practice?
Yes. Maybe they should have restrictions on carrying swords.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics