ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 14th April 2019, 11:24 PM   #1001
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
Dammit!

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 02:48 PM   #1002
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
$100/1 for a Greens PM.
$1,000,000/1 for a Paul Keating last-minute-Lazarus resurrection to take the Labor PM-ship from Shorten.
$1,000,000,000/1 for any of Hanson, Anning, Latham or Bob Katter to be allowed in the PM's office except for a caning.

Thanks for that. I think I may risk a dollar on that last option.
Old 16th April 2019, 12:17 AM   #1003
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oops...

Liberal candidate invites 10,000 voters to an Adelaide cafe, but forgets to tell the owners

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 03:03 PM   #1004
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

With that astute degree of political acumen he should go far in the Liberal party.
Old 16th April 2019, 03:46 PM   #1005
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

That is a basic error. He does not deserve to win.
Old 16th April 2019, 05:58 PM   #1006
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Morrison and McCormack are at a carrot farm in Tasmania right now. McCormack just said this:

Quote:
"I’m only sorry I didn’t bring a pocket of nails today because with this soil I could have thrown them in the ground and grown crowbars. That’s the sort of potential that we’ve got here in Tasmania.”

Source, of course

- Randall Munroe

Last edited by arthwollipot; 16th April 2019 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added source
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 06:01 PM   #1007
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

At least one cafe gets some solid business all day.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 06:10 PM   #1008
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Morrison and McCormack are at a carrot farm in Tasmania right now. McCormack just said this:

https://i.imgur.com/ZvWxgChm.png

Source, of course
.............is there a crowbar shortage somewhere??
Old 16th April 2019, 07:18 PM   #1009
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

.............is there a crowbar shortage somewhere??
He was trying to say that the soil in Tasmania is so good that you could grow crowbars from planting nails.

I mean weird flex, but okay.

- Randall Munroe
Old 16th April 2019, 11:43 PM   #1010
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

He was trying to say that the soil in Tasmania is so good that you could grow crowbars from planting nails.

I mean weird flex, but okay.
I understood that it was hyperbole. Just that it's sort of weird and rather inappropriate hyperbole. But perhaps that's the LNP for you.
Old 17th April 2019, 08:59 PM   #1011
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Okay, so... this is happening...

Alt-right to release 'avalanche' of election campaign propaganda to help Fraser Anning

Quote:
Leaked messages have revealed the Australian alt-right's secret plan to use Queensland senator Fraser Anning to expand its extreme agenda in the Australian Parliament and beyond.

The texts, seen by Background Briefing, offer a rare insight into the strategy the movement intends to use to further its goals and spread its ideology.

Members of the group are seen discussing plans for confrontational racist stunts to be performed during the current federal election campaign.

The proposed stunts, designed to attract global attention and help Senator Anning get re-elected, include performing in "blackface and other taboos" and "burning the Koran".

Another stated goal is "obtaining and accessing a giant email and SMS database" in order to send messages that are "extremely right-wing".
It goes on. And on.

Fortunately, I'm pretty sure most Australians are smarter than this and will condemn and despise these tactics as all reasonable people should.

- Randall Munroe
Old 21st April 2019, 09:37 PM   #1012
Dabop
Muse

Quote:
Leaked messages have revealed the Australian alt-right's secret plan to use Queensland senator Fraser Anning to expand its extreme agenda in the Australian Parliament and beyond.

The texts, seen by Background Briefing, offer a rare insight into the strategy the movement intends to use to further its goals and spread its ideology.
"Hey guys, if we can get the footy team onside including the bench players, we will get our voter numbers into the twenties!!!!

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:44 PM   #1013
Thor 2
Philosopher

I am going to be watching the seat of Dawson closely this election, and would dearly love to see George (Ban the burqa, cut immigration, stop same-sex marriage and reject climate change) Christensen, get booted out of parliament.
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:50 PM   #1014
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Okay, so... this is happening...

Alt-right to release 'avalanche' of election campaign propaganda to help Fraser Anning

It goes on. And on.

Fortunately, I'm pretty sure most Australians are smarter than this and will condemn and despise these tactics as all reasonable people should.
They should egg him at each and every opportunity.
Old 22nd April 2019, 02:00 PM   #1015
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Today's NYT Daily Briefing contains this. <3

Old 22nd April 2019, 06:04 PM   #1016
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Today's NYT Daily Briefing contains this. <3

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c35fbe497b.jpg
I don't see the connection. Do you think that immigration should continue at current levels regardless of how crowded Sydney is?
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:51 PM   #1017
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I don't see the connection. Do you think that immigration should continue at current levels regardless of how crowded Sydney is?

Libs have been settling refugees in rural areas very successfully in places I know.

Morrison is relying on kneejerk cultural bias against rural areas and non-australians to think cities are the only places immigrants (not just refugees) can work or open businesses.
Old 22nd April 2019, 07:35 PM   #1018
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The AEC has just tweeted out that registration of eligible voters for the 2019 election is at 96.8%, which is a record number. Never in Australia's history has the registration level been this high. 88.8% of 18-20 year olds are registered.

- Randall Munroe
Old 22nd April 2019, 07:54 PM   #1019
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

What a tool: https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/austra...hristian-faith

No, Scotty, me old mate - the gutless clown is the one who needs the comfort blanket of an invisible sky-daddy.

No doubt that crap will play well to the faithful.
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:01 AM   #1020
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

The AEC has just tweeted out that registration of eligible voters for the 2019 election is at 96.8%, which is a record number. Never in Australia's history has the registration level been this high. 88.8% of 18-20 year olds are registered.
The LNP are doomed. More doomed. The doomiest. Not a ******* chance.
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:10 AM   #1021
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

The LNP are doomed. More doomed. The doomiest. Not a ******* chance.
The odds have lengthened slightly for Labor.* ALP: $1.22, Coalition: $4.25
https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting...deral-politics

* This means that according to SportsBet, there is a 24% chance that Labor could lose.

Last edited by psionl0; 23rd April 2019 at 12:17 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:12 AM   #1022
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
What a tool: https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/austra...hristian-faith

No, Scotty, me old mate - the gutless clown is the one who needs the comfort blanket of an invisible sky-daddy.

No doubt that crap will play well to the faithful.
His loony religion will cost him. He once said his faith determined his political decisions. Go **** yourself.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:20 AM   #1023
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

The odds have lengthened slightly for Labor.* ALP: $1.22, Coalition: $4.25
https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting...deral-politics

* This means that according to SportsBet, there is a 24% chance that Labor could lose.
Have to admit: Labor do have the remarkable ability at times to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The last NSW election was an example. let's hope that was a recent and salutary lesson.
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:21 AM   #1024
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
His loony religion will cost him. He once said his faith determined his political decisions. Go **** yourself.
This. And it applies to all political parties.
Old 23rd April 2019, 01:02 AM   #1025
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That photo that's been doing the rounds that's been interpreted as being similar to a Nazi salute, that's rubbish. One raised hand is an extremely common gesture during Pentecostal worship. Most of the time it's done as you can see ScoMo doing it in the photo, with the arm slightly bent and the fingers pointing upwards, but they raise and lower their hands and if you snap your shot at just the right moment, you can catch it at that moment that it most resembles a Nazi salute, like the other guy in the photo.

But the resemblance is superficial. Sometimes they do it with one hand, sometimes they do it with both hands. Sometimes they seem to "pat" the air. The fact that it can occasionally momentarily resemble a Nazi salute is pure coincidence. Do a Google image search for "pentecostal worship" and you'll see dozens of people with their hands in the air. It means nothing, except that pentecostals really get into their worship.

- Randall Munroe
Old 23rd April 2019, 01:51 AM   #1026
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

That photo that's been doing the rounds that's been interpreted as being similar to a Nazi salute, that's rubbish. One raised hand is an extremely common gesture during Pentecostal worship. Most of the time it's done as you can see ScoMo doing it in the photo, with the arm slightly bent and the fingers pointing upwards, but they raise and lower their hands and if you snap your shot at just the right moment, you can catch it at that moment that it most resembles a Nazi salute, like the other guy in the photo.

But the resemblance is superficial. Sometimes they do it with one hand, sometimes they do it with both hands. Sometimes they seem to "pat" the air. The fact that it can occasionally momentarily resemble a Nazi salute is pure coincidence. Do a Google image search for "pentecostal worship" and you'll see dozens of people with their hands in the air. It means nothing, except that pentecostals really get into their worship.
Yes agreed. He should, however, be judged on his fundamentalist beliefs and how they effect his political decisions. He said they do. He needs to be asked to explain this and held to account.

Keating was a staunch catholic but I don’t think any decision of his was influenced by his beliefs. The fundamentalism of Morrison should be an election issue.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 02:22 PM   #1027
Thor 2
Philosopher

Who can trust this wanker and what he says will or will not affect his political decisions. About his faith he just said:

Quote:
"How does it affect my policy? As I said in my first speech, it's not a policy issue and I openly accept and celebrate that people of the same faith will have different political views."
If he believes this tosh and its so important to him, how can it not effect his political decisions. For example, as I have pointed out before, a guy who thinks we are in "End Times", cannot be concerned about the state the world is going to be in, after Jesus has brought it to an end.
Old 23rd April 2019, 05:06 PM   #1028
Thor 2
Philosopher

So now we have Barney raising, once again, the implementation of the Bradfield Scheme to divert water inland.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-...ought/11029284

In spite of the fact, it has been investigated and dismissed more than once, by those who have some knowledge of costs and environmental impact, idiots like Barney just warm it up and serve it to us again.
Old 23rd April 2019, 05:21 PM   #1029
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

On The Conversation, Barnaby Joyce seems to be referred to as 'BB' a lot.

Apparently this stands for the 'Bonking Beetroot' which is unusual, to say the least.
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:46 PM   #1030
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yes agreed. He should, however, be judged on his fundamentalist beliefs and how they effect his political decisions. He said they do. He needs to be asked to explain this and held to account.

Keating was a staunch catholic but I don’t think any decision of his was influenced by his beliefs. The fundamentalism of Morrison should be an election issue.
Right, and I agree, but I've seen people saying that he's literally a Nazi because he's giving a Nazi salute. That's just wrong.

- Randall Munroe
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:55 PM   #1031
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

You prefer an arrogant hypocritical bastard like Keating to ScoMo? Unbelievable!

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
For example, as I have pointed out before, a guy who thinks we are in "End Times", cannot be concerned about the state the world is going to be in, after Jesus has brought it to an end.
What do you think ScoMo is going to do? Build underground bunkers?

I am not interested in his religious views. I want ScoMo gone because his party is beholden to multinational giants.
Old 23rd April 2019, 07:06 PM   #1032
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You prefer an arrogant hypocritical bastard like Keating to ScoMo? Unbelievable!
I would prefer almost anyone to ScoMo, but lionking is making a specific point - that ScoMo's policies are faith-based, while Keating's weren't. If he is expressing a preference at all, lionking prefers a person who does not base policy on faith over a person who does. Arrogance and hypocrisy aren't under discussion.

- Randall Munroe
Old 23rd April 2019, 08:01 PM   #1033
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I would prefer almost anyone to ScoMo, but lionking is making a specific point - that ScoMo's policies are faith-based, while Keating's weren't. If he is expressing a preference at all, lionking prefers a person who does not base policy on faith over a person who does. Arrogance and hypocrisy aren't under discussion.
LK vomited brought up Paul Keating - not me.

If ScoMo has a hiden agenda then it is more likely to be a corporate one than a religious one - just like any Liberal (and not so rarely, Labor) politician. If his religious views had any effect on his policies then I would have thought that it would mean that he was less likely to lie and have more compassion for the poor (and that's not likely).
Old 23rd April 2019, 08:04 PM   #1034
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

LK vomited brought up Paul Keating - not me.

If ScoMo has a hiden agenda then it is more likely to be a corporate one than a religious one - just like any Liberal (and not so rarely, Labor) politician. If his religious views had any effect on his policies then I would have thought that it would mean that he was less likely to lie and have more compassion for the poor (and that's not likely).
ScoMo has stated publicly that he has a religious agenda.

- Randall Munroe
Old 24th April 2019, 03:44 PM   #1035
Thor 2
Philosopher

ScoMo has stated publicly that he has a religious agenda.

Indeed, and as a good Pentecostal how could he not?

The Devil and Scott Morrison
BY James Boyce

Quote:
No Pentecostal quarantines their religion in a churchy quarter of their being, let alone one who has been a passionate believer since his teens and in his first speech to parliament acknowledged Brian Houston, the co-founder of Hillsong, as a mentor.

And more:

Quote:
Belief in Satan and the imminent return of Christ also helps explain the prime minister’s less-than-passionate response to the most pressing environmental issue of our time. It is not surprising that Pentecostal activism about climate change is non-existent – the end of the known world is not a matter for mere mortals to decide. When Morrison proudly showed off a piece of coal in parliament, there is no reason to doubt that he believed what he held in his hand was a gift from God.

Stressing one of my main obsessions about the problem with religiously committed people in positions of power. God is in control so why should we worry about climate change?
Old 24th April 2019, 06:32 PM   #1036
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

The end of the world has been imminent since the death of Christ. It is mentioned in the bible that it will happen in their lifetimes. That was almost 2,000 years ago.
Old 24th April 2019, 10:39 PM   #1037
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Stressing one of my main obsessions about the problem with religiously committed people in positions of power. God is in control so why should we worry about climate change?
ScoMo is just sucking up to the coal mining companies.
Old 24th April 2019, 11:09 PM   #1038
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

How many votes do they bring to the table? No, I’ll answer that. Next to zero.

So if he is sucking up to coal mining companies, he is a bigger fool than I thought. And I think he’s a trumpian fool already.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th April 2019, 11:41 PM   #1039
Thor 2
Philosopher

So if he is sucking up to coal mining companies, he is a bigger fool than I thought. And I think he’s a trumpian fool already.

psion manages to miss the point in a spectacular way ...... yet again.

A "trumpian fool", yes I like that, and so apt.
Old 25th April 2019, 12:17 AM   #1040
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Don't be so naive. You know very well that they bring money to election campaigns (and direct campaign money away from opposition groups).

psion manages to miss the point in a spectacular way ...... yet again.
Have you got any evidence that ScoMo's love of coal is based on religion?

Last edited by psionl0; 25th April 2019 at 12:18 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics