ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 13th April 2019, 10:55 AM   #2201
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
If the future can be foreseen, does that not imply it is already written?

And if it is fixed, how do you reconcile that with free will?
I can only really guess at those things, but I have heard a lot of trance mediums give lectures in the 1970's, and I formulated my views from them.

It may be that seeing into the future gives the angels a chance to make subtle changes. For example I know that on another forum once I helped convince a Muslim to give up his faith. Who knows what difference that has made in the world. If the spirits had not given me a lottery win it would have taken me a few more years to save up for a computer. So I might never have had the opportunity to affect his mind. So whoever gave me that money for a computer may have changed something in the world.

I think we do have free will to act as we see fit, which is part of the cycle of reincarnation and karma. We act and there are consequences. All that can be foreseen. Our state of spiritual evolution makes us act in certain, predictable ways, and the consequences force changes in us. But we often have a still small voice within we call a conscience warning us of wrong actions, and if we go against it we are accountable. That is a consequence of free will. We may both individually and collectively cause future suffering for ourselves. Even the angels cannot force us to do the right thing.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 13th April 2019 at 10:57 AM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 11:48 AM   #2202
Humots
Critical Thinker
 
Humots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 391
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I think its an ability that is only developed by advanced spirits. They are able to transcend time, and see into the future. I do not think it was any of my departed relatives that gave me a lottery win. It had to be an evolved soul, or even an angel of karma. They only gave me five numbers, because that is all I needed to buy an internet capable computer.
When I say they gave me the numbers, I mean that earlier in the week when I picked the numbers, I felt as if I was guided to the right ones.
Hold on.

When you spoke of this previously, you gave the distinct impression that a voice had dictated five winning numbers to you before you had picked any numbers.

Saying that you "felt" that you were "guided" at the time you picked the numbers is not the same thing, even though I predict that you will say it is.
Humots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 11:56 AM   #2203
sackett
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,661
Yes, I call it sad

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I can only really guess at those things, but I have heard a lot of trance mediums give lectures in the 1970's, and I formulated my views from them.<snip>
Well that explains a lot right there. Everything, really.

That and a sad degree of mental derangement.

Get help.
__________________
Fill the seats of justice with good men; not so absolute in goodness as to forget what human frailty is. -- Thomas Jefferson

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 12:19 PM   #2204
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by Humots View Post
Hold on.

When you spoke of this previously, you gave the distinct impression that a voice had dictated five winning numbers to you before you had picked any numbers.

Saying that you "felt" that you were "guided" at the time you picked the numbers is not the same thing, even though I predict that you will say it is.
What actually happened was that in the middle of the week I was moaning to myself about having no money for a computer. At that precise moment a female voice said "help is coming from an unexpected source" . That is all it said, with no mention of the lottery. Then later in the week when I filled out the lottery card I felt a presence, and as I looked at the numbers some of them seemed to be right, like they glowed a little, so I picked them. Then one hour before the draw that week I picked up the ticket and said to myself, "maybe its worth a fortune, yea ! fat chance," and I threw the ticket down. At that moment the same female voice said " you won" It spoke soundlessly in the middle of my head, like telepathy. I never heard that particular female voice before or since.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 12:24 PM   #2205
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,233
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The fact I heard a voice that accurately predicted the future event of my winning on the lottery an hour before the draw is a kind of evidence it was a genuine spirit communication.
The odds against getting a five number draw were 55,000 to 1 against.
The odds of hearing a voice predict you would win on the one occasion you actually won must be absolutely astronomical.
Chances of remembering getting some kind of premonition that you would win the lottery on the day you win the lottery: 100%

Chances of remembering getting some kind of premonition that you would win the lottery on days you didn't win the lottery: 0%

Chances of someone with no understanding of probability theory being amazed by the kind of coincidence expected to happen to most people several times in an average lifetime: 100%
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 12:30 PM   #2206
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Millions of people still believe in their immortal soul in spite of lack of evidence. That fact itself may indicate we do have one
No. It does not.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The odds against getting a five number draw were 55,000 to 1 against.
So in a small city's worth of sold lottery tickets, one was a winner. Yes, that's rather the point.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The odds of hearing a voice predict you would win on the one occasion you actually won must be absolutely astronomical.
Those odds become far more likely when the person "hearing" the voice suffers from mental illnesses for which hearing voices is a common symptom. They're even greater when the person has had decades of retelling the story and memory modification to end up with a recollection in 2019 that might bear very little resemblance to the actual events in the moment.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 12:56 PM   #2207
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post


Those odds become far more likely when the person "hearing" the voice suffers from mental illnesses for which hearing voices is a common symptom. They're even greater when the person has had decades of retelling the story and memory modification to end up with a recollection in 2019 that might bear very little resemblance to the actual events in the moment.
I have been saying the same thing for years. Check back on the forum and you will find my memory of what the voice said does not change.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 02:46 PM   #2208
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I have been saying the same thing for years. Check back on the forum and you will find my memory of what the voice said does not change.
In what year did this alleged lottery win & computer purchase take place?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 09:35 PM   #2209
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
In what year did this alleged lottery win & computer purchase take place?
1998
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 11:45 PM   #2210
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,022
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
On occasions the negative responses I have received has spoiled my day. I have wondered what the point of being here is. But the next day I dust myself off and continue. I still think my interpretation of experiences I have had are generally correct, and there is a spirit world.
Really? Are you not frustrated with Imre's boneheaded intransigence in that other thread? How is this thread any different?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 04:36 AM   #2211
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,233
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
1998
So 15 years before you joined this forum for you to take the memory out, alter it slightly and then re store it. You understand that's how everyone's memory works, right? The more often you've remembered something, the less likely it is that what's now stored in your memory is an accurate representation of what actually happened. Then there's the confirmation bias I referred to in my previous post, which I notice you ignored. All in all an extremely unimpressive anecdote on which to base a world view which is at odds which everything a couple of centuries of scientific investigation has taught us about how the world actually works.

I'm on holiday in Holland at the moment, and spent this morning at De Haar Castle, which by lucky chance is hosting the Elfia festival this weekend.

https://www.elfia.com/en/

At the entrance to the grounds is a white line signed "Border with Reality" which people dressed in exotic costumes were making a big deal of crossing over. Fantasy is fine, indeed highly enjoyable, in its place.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 02:51 PM   #2212
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 87,671
Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Well that explains a lot right there. Everything, really.



That and a sad degree of mental derangement.



Get help.
Well it does when one realises he has had to compartmentalised even those types of lectures to excise those that said there was life on Mars and Venus.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 04:34 PM   #2213
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,022
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I have been saying the same thing for years. Check back on the forum and you will find my memory of what the voice said does not change.
Your posts in this very thread show that you render different accounts of the event all the time. Would you like me to post your varying accounts or can you read what you posted yourself?

For example, these two claims cannot both be correct...
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I was told by a female voice that I would win the lottery one hour before I did win five numbers.
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I was given a five number lottery win by telepathy from the spirit world in 1998. They gave me the numbers a few days before the draw.
But you made both of them.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:46 AM   #2214
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 2,993
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Your posts in this very thread show that you render different accounts of the event all the time. Would you like me to post your varying accounts or can you read what you posted yourself?

For example, these two claims cannot both be correct...


But you made both of them.
Good catch.
Over to you, Scorpion.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 09:58 AM   #2215
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Good catch.
Over to you, Scorpion.
Read post 2204 carefully and you will see my account of the events is the same. I was given the numbers by telepathy earlier in the week. The voice spoke to me twice. Once earlier in the week some time before I picked the numbers, and then an hour before the draw.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 06:25 AM   #2216
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,716
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
What actually happened was that in the middle of the week I was moaning to myself about having no money for a computer. At that precise moment a female voice said "help is coming from an unexpected source" . That is all it said, with no mention of the lottery. Then later in the week when I filled out the lottery card I felt a presence, and as I looked at the numbers some of them seemed to be right, like they glowed a little, so I picked them. Then one hour before the draw that week I picked up the ticket and said to myself, "maybe its worth a fortune, yea ! fat chance," and I threw the ticket down. At that moment the same female voice said " you won" It spoke soundlessly in the middle of my head, like telepathy. I never heard that particular female voice before or since.
There are plenty of similar stories involving people who win at games of chance.

For example, my brother and his wife got through a difficult financial patch by betting on two numbers in a Las Vegas roulette game which produced about $4,000 for them.

Conversely, there are many more stories where someone made a bet on a game of random chance because they were inspired by a dream, a voice, a vision, a strong feeling, etc. and yet they lost.

So just because some voice inside your head coincided with a bit of luck, that does not mean that these voices in your head are the result of some sort of supernatural encounter.
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 02:02 AM   #2217
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 2,993
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
What actually happened was that in the middle of the week I was moaning to myself about having no money for a computer. At that precise moment a female voice said "help is coming from an unexpected source" . That is all it said, with no mention of the lottery. Then later in the week when I filled out the lottery card I felt a presence, and as I looked at the numbers some of them seemed to be right, like they glowed a little, so I picked them. Then one hour before the draw that week I picked up the ticket and said to myself, "maybe its worth a fortune, yea ! fat chance," and I threw the ticket down. At that moment the same female voice said " you won" It spoke soundlessly in the middle of my head, like telepathy. I never heard that particular female voice before or since.
A few more questions:
Did you play the lottery expecting to lose? I don't see why the source of the money would be unexpected otherwise.
I assume this was not the only time you played. How did you choose your numbers then? Most people, I guess, pick numbers they think are lucky, whcich is pretty much what you say you did here. Did you do this, and, if you did, can you explain why those numbers did not come up before?
Lastly, what is soundless speaking?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 03:42 AM   #2218
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
A few more questions:
Did you play the lottery expecting to lose? I don't see why the source of the money would be unexpected otherwise.
I assume this was not the only time you played. How did you choose your numbers then? Most people, I guess, pick numbers they think are lucky, whcich is pretty much what you say you did here. Did you do this, and, if you did, can you explain why those numbers did not come up before?
Lastly, what is soundless speaking?
Obviously I did not expect to win a substantial amount. I picked the numbers by floating the pen over them, and if a number jumped out at me I picked it.

I do the lottery every week and pick different numbers every time, I try to vibe them out , but the only time it ever worked was when a voice told me help was coming. I do not think the spirit world will ever give me a big win as that would involve karma. But on this one occasion they saw fit to help me get a computer I could not afford at the time.

Soundlessly speaking means what it says, I did not hear the voice with my ears, I heard it in my head by telepathy.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 17th April 2019 at 03:44 AM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 06:20 AM   #2219
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,233
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I do the lottery every week
If you've bought just one ticket a week since the UK lottery began in 1994 you've spent about £1300 on lottery tickets. Unless you've won at least that much in prizes you have not won anything on the lottery you have lost, i.e. you would be better off if you'd never played it. If you regularly buy more than one ticket a week (e.g. if you play both the weekend and the mid week lottery) you would have needed to have won even more in prizes just to break even.

The lottery is not called a tax on stupidity for nothing.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 10:23 AM   #2220
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,716
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Obviously I did not expect to win a substantial amount. I picked the numbers by floating the pen over them, and if a number jumped out at me I picked it.

I do the lottery every week and pick different numbers every time, I try to vibe them out , but the only time it ever worked was when a voice told me help was coming. I do not think the spirit world will ever give me a big win as that would involve karma. But on this one occasion they saw fit to help me get a computer I could not afford at the time.

Soundlessly speaking means what it says, I did not hear the voice with my ears, I heard it in my head by telepathy.
So, ...

You have been hearing voices from the inside of your head since at least 1998 when you bought that winning lottery ticket, and you have been playing the lottery every week since then.

Well now, if this is actually the case, then your voices sure are stingy with their lottery advice. After all, you have been in regular contact with them for at least the last 21 years and they have had over 1,000 opportunities to tell you which lottery numbers to play and yet they have only given you good lottery advice only once during all of this time.

Therefore, is possible for you to find other voices in your head who are more forthcoming with their lottery advice?
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 08:08 PM   #2221
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
So, ...
you have been in regular contact with them for at least the last 21 years and they have had over 1,000 opportunities to tell you which lottery numbers to play and yet they have only given you good lottery advice only once during all of this time.
Clearly that 1998-vintage computer has been a real workhorse all these years so he hasn't needed a new one. It's great 'cause the spirits got to do their awesome convince-one-dude-on-the-Internet-that-Islam-is-violent-routine using Scorpion as their weapon of choice. Totally worth it. I mean, if I was capable of doing one thing as a spirit over the past 21 years, that's definitely how I'd blow my wad.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 09:35 AM   #2222
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
So, ...

You have been hearing voices from the inside of your head since at least 1998 when you bought that winning lottery ticket, and you have been playing the lottery every week since then.

Well now, if this is actually the case, then your voices sure are stingy with their lottery advice. After all, you have been in regular contact with them for at least the last 21 years and they have had over 1,000 opportunities to tell you which lottery numbers to play and yet they have only given you good lottery advice only once during all of this time.

Therefore, is possible for you to find other voices in your head who are more forthcoming with their lottery advice?
As far as I am concerned, the spirit world gave me a special dispensation
of a lottery win that was just enough money to buy a computer at a time when I had no money. But they have never said they would give me another win or a big win, and I don't think they ever will because that would be karmic.
I would be taking money away from other winners by using occult trickery and its not normally allowed. Its generally against the spirits laws.

I have a new computer, because I inherited money from an uncle, so I am not still using the computer I purchased in 1998 and I don't need any money.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 09:40 AM   #2223
wasapi
Philosopher
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,872
Scorpio. You stated that you are not in need of money. Which leaves me asking, are you/have you been employed?
Thanks.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 10:24 AM   #2224
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Scorpio. You stated that you are not in need of money. Which leaves me asking, are you/have you been employed?
Thanks.
I am on a state pension for over 65's, and I also have some money in the bank thanks to an uncle leaving me money. I worked as an electronics repair man for ten years, and had various unskilled jobs for years before I got trained.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 01:16 PM   #2225
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,716
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
As far as I am concerned, the spirit world gave me a special dispensation
of a lottery win that was just enough money to buy a computer at a time when I had no money. But they have never said they would give me another win or a big win, and I don't think they ever will because that would be karmic.
I would be taking money away from other winners by using occult trickery and its not normally allowed. Its generally against the spirits laws.

I have a new computer, because I inherited money from an uncle, so I am not still using the computer I purchased in 1998 and I don't need any money.
Oh for crying out loud!

Now you are saying that there are "spirit laws".

If so, then I guess that there are ...

"spirit policemen" to enforce these spirit laws,
"spirit courts" to adjudicate these spirit laws,
"spirit prisons" to house the spirits who violate spirit laws,
"spirit archives" to record all of the cases of spirit laws,

and so on.

You just need to face the fact that you are a delusional person who needs help.
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 03:36 PM   #2226
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
"spirit policemen" to enforce these spirit laws,
So it's true?!

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
You just need to face the fact that you are a delusional person who needs help.
Or just a garden variety attention-seeking troll.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 08:42 AM   #2227
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Oh for crying out loud!

Now you are saying that there are "spirit laws".

If so, then I guess that there are ...

"spirit policemen" to enforce these spirit laws,
"spirit courts" to adjudicate these spirit laws,
"spirit prisons" to house the spirits who violate spirit laws,
"spirit archives" to record all of the cases of spirit laws,

and so on.

You just need to face the fact that you are a delusional person who needs help.
Yes there are archives that not only concern our present lives, but all our past incarnations. These records are maintained by the angels of karma, and we do not normally have access to them.
I do not believe there are any prisons in the spirit world, there is no need of them because the spirit world is divided into planes of experience which go from the dark regions to the highest heavens. Each spirit goes to the plane of experience that matches their stage of spiritual evolution. Those that do evil find themselves in dark realms automatically, and they cannot rise to higher planes because they cannot bear the light. They have to work on their redemption and repent before rising to higher levels. So there need be no prisons.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 10:39 AM   #2228
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 5,782
Just-So Story

In science and philosophy, a just-so story is an unverifiable narrative explanation for a cultural practice, a biological trait, or behavior of humans or other animals.
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 11:34 AM   #2229
wasapi
Philosopher
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,872
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yes there are archives that not only concern our present lives, but all our past incarnations. These records are maintained by the angels of karma, and we do not normally have access to them.
I do not believe there are any prisons in the spirit world, there is no need of them because the spirit world is divided into planes of experience which go from the dark regions to the highest heavens. Each spirit goes to the plane of experience that matches their stage of spiritual evolution. Those that do evil find themselves in dark realms automatically, and they cannot rise to higher planes because they cannot bear the light. They have to work on their redemption and repent before rising to higher levels. So there need be no prisons.
Again, Scorpion, how do you know this as fact?
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 01:08 PM   #2230
steenkh
Philosopher
 
steenkh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 5,649
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yes there are archives that not only concern our present lives, but all our past incarnations. These records are maintained by the angels of karma, and we do not normally have access to them.
Now you are also claiming that there are bureaucratic angels, and huge offices of records for all humans for all times. Life in Heaven sure seems to be great fun ...
__________________
Steen

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 02:39 PM   #2231
Myriad
Hyperthetical
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Posts: 15,456
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yes there are archives that not only concern our present lives, but all our past incarnations. These records are maintained by the angels of karma, and we do not normally have access to them.

By most accounts, the records in question include complete and perfect memories of the life experience of each lifetime lived by every person. This is rarely stated explicitly, but it's implicit in some of the claims that usually are made. For instance:

- If a person suffers permanent memory loss during life or near the end of life, or simply forgets things over the years, that (it is claimed) doesn't impede the process of that spirit being and able to learn from, and being held accountable for, those life experiences. So there must be a backup copy of those memories created that can be restored to the spirit later.

- Yet, those memories can only be available to the individual spirit whose incarnated life they record. (If every spirit could experience and learn from every person's life memories, the whole claimed exercise of spiritual maturation via learning experiences in multiple sequential incarnations could be carried out without requiring the continued existence of the actual world.)

These "archives" are either inadequate for their claimed purposes, or they make the world redundant. (Unless the archives are actually the world itself. Which resolves that dilemma perfectly without changing the reincarnation narrative all that much, except for the individuality of the self, which the Buddha exposed as illusory centuries ago anyhow. Perhaps most spirits need a few more lifetimes of experience before they figure that out.)
__________________
A zømbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 05:13 AM   #2232
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,716
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yes there are archives that not only concern our present lives, but all our past incarnations. These records are maintained by the angels of karma, and we do not normally have access to them.
I do not believe there are any prisons in the spirit world, there is no need of them because the spirit world is divided into planes of experience which go from the dark regions to the highest heavens. Each spirit goes to the plane of experience that matches their stage of spiritual evolution. Those that do evil find themselves in dark realms automatically, and they cannot rise to higher planes because they cannot bear the light. They have to work on their redemption and repent before rising to higher levels. So there need be no prisons.
You are quite delusional so please do get help.
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 05:21 AM   #2233
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 87,671
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yes there are archives that not only concern our present lives, but all our past incarnations. These records are maintained by the angels of karma, and we do not normally have access to them.

I do not believe there are any prisons in the spirit world, there is no need of them because the spirit world is divided into planes of experience which go from the dark regions to the highest heavens. Each spirit goes to the plane of experience that matches their stage of spiritual evolution. Those that do evil find themselves in dark realms automatically, and they cannot rise to higher planes because they cannot bear the light. They have to work on their redemption and repent before rising to higher levels. So there need be no prisons.
Do these records contain the details of the Martians and Venusians?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:02 PM   #2234
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,747
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
You are quite delusional so please do get help.
Seconded. These are second rate fairy stories.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 08:50 AM   #2235
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Again, Scorpion, how do you know this as fact?
I don't know it as fact. It is just a summary of what it says in the spiritualist books I have read, and the trance lectures by mediums that I have attended.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:02 AM   #2236
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
You are quite delusional so please do get help.
You must be joking. What help are you talking about, psychiatrists ?

The psychiatric profession wrote me off in 1971 after I was an out patient for two years, it is figured that if you do not recover in two years you never will.

I gave up on psychiatrists when they gave up on me, and I started a long search for a workable truth. I got real help from spiritualist healers in the 1970s and weaned myself off heavy medication during that time.

I discovered I could channel healing energy through my chakras and clear my head. I could also draw psychic energy from trees and nature.

I just got the bulk of my psychiatric file sent to me under the data protection act and the first thing I noticed in reading it was that no psychiatrist I have ever spoken to has ever believed a word I said. They think I am delusional too.

They are just like all of you here, and they know nothing that is of any use to me.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:59 PM   #2237
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,747
Because medicine has not advance in half a century but bull crap is forever........

Still at least there is a consensus of opinion.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 02:31 PM   #2238
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I gave up on psychiatrists when they gave up on me, . . . I got real help from spiritualist healers in the 1970s and weaned myself off heavy medication during that time.
No you didn't. If anything you've told us is true, then you might have stopped taking certain drugs that you didn't like, but there is no such thing as a spiritualist healer, and none of these people were ever of any help to you. If anything, these people encouraged a decades'-long break from reality for you to serve no other purpose than their own financial gain.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I discovered I could channel healing energy {ETA: this is not a thing} through my chakras {ETA: this is not a thing} and clear my head. I could also draw psychic energy {ETA: this is not a thing} from trees and nature.
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I just got the bulk of my psychiatric file sent to me under the data protection act and the first thing I noticed in reading it was that no psychiatrist I have ever spoken to has ever believed a word I said. They think I am delusional too.
Again, if you're doing anything here other than trolling, then you just professed belief in healing energy, chakras, and psychic energy. You are tautologically delusional.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 03:33 PM   #2239
8enotto
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,158
Call it like any name you want its you making yourself feel more stable by relaxation and other common simple tools.

Someone taught you theses exercises and called it by whatever goofy name was chic at the time.

I can stretch self imposed stress by muscle tension out if my upper back with a simple stretching movement. It works wonders. I can calm my mind in similar situations with breathing exercises and distancing myself from it for a bit.

No magic or spirits required. If I am aware of it sometimes it can be fixed. Not always of course. Madame Woo didn't need to take any if my money not could she give me a miracle for it.

Please, step back three steps and look at yourself from another point of view Sr. Scorpion. It might be revealing.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 05:39 AM   #2240
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,716
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
You must be joking. What help are you talking about, psychiatrists ?

The psychiatric profession wrote me off in 1971 after I was an out patient for two years, it is figured that if you do not recover in two years you never will.

I gave up on psychiatrists when they gave up on me, and I started a long search for a workable truth. I got real help from spiritualist healers in the 1970s and weaned myself off heavy medication during that time.

I discovered I could channel healing energy through my chakras and clear my head. I could also draw psychic energy from trees and nature.

I just got the bulk of my psychiatric file sent to me under the data protection act and the first thing I noticed in reading it was that no psychiatrist I have ever spoken to has ever believed a word I said. They think I am delusional too.

They are just like all of you here, and they know nothing that is of any use to me.
Please take the effort to read your own postings.

For example, it the above posting you have literally just admitted that you have had untreated mental illness for nearly 50 years. Therefore, it is not surprising that you have so many delusions about talking to dead people, knowing the laws of the spirit world, and so on.
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:14 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.