ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th April 2019, 04:38 PM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

5 year old thrown off 3 story balcony in the Mall of America

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/us/ma...own/index.html

A 3 year old boy is in the hospital with life threatening injuries after several witness report him being dropped or thrown over a 3 story railing.

A 24 year old man is in custody. The police have stated there is no clear motive and that child and man are not related and seemed to have no prior interactions.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 05:31 PM   #2
Wolrab
Illuminator

Jeez. I hope the guy was trying to save the kid and it just looks bad.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 06:56 PM   #3
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

From 3rd floor to first is only a two story fall. But I guess "from the 3rd floor" has more impact.

I wish the kid luck, and I too hope some witness or cameras turn up, saying the guy tried to save him.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 07:04 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
From 3rd floor to first is only a two story fall. But I guess "from the 3rd floor" has more impact.

I wish the kid luck, and I too hope some witness or cameras turn up, saying the guy tried to save him.
Not likely given his history. More likely the perp's mentally ill and no one intervened when maybe they should have.

I also hope modern medicine and the rapid EMS response results in a good outcome for the poor kid.
Old 12th April 2019, 11:15 PM   #5
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

A 3 year old boy
Just posting because the thread title was right and the boy was 5 years old (according to the article anyway).
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 11:37 PM   #6
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Keep in mind that malls have unusually large distances between floors--I'm guessing 16-18 feet minimum, and maybe even 20 feet. He may have fallen from the equivalent of about the fifth story of an office building.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 11:52 PM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Astonished the child wasn't killed instantly.
Old 13th April 2019, 06:03 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Astonished the child wasn't killed instantly.
I feel really, really bad for having this train of thought but I sort of wonder if he kind of was.

The events described say that CPR was being performed on the child by bystanders after the fall and all discussion of his condition have been very vague and described only as "life threatening."

I wonder if the kid is dead for all practical purposes but is on life support so everyone can say goodbye and we'll see a "Family has decided to take the child off life support" kind of statement in the upcoming days.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 06:06 AM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

ETA: I don't know where everybody is hailing from so if this is a factor but American's number floors/stories differently then Brits and a lot of other countries do.

In American Ground Floor / First Story are the same thing. It's a straight numerical numbering as opposed to Ground Floor then 1st, 2nd, 3rd...
Old 13th April 2019, 06:08 AM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Man accused of throwing a child at the Mall of America had been banned from the site in the past

Quote:
Court records obtained by CNN affiliate WCCO show that in July 2015, he was charged with causing damage inside stores after he threw items off the upper level of the mall to the lower level.

Months later, in October of that same year, he was accused of throwing glasses of ice water and tea at a woman in a restaurant at the mall after she refused to buy him food, the records show. In that incident, he got into a physical scuffle with the manager of the restaurant, sending panicked diners fleeing, court records show.

In an unrelated incident in August of the same year, witnesses saw Aranda smashing computers on the floor in the Minneapolis library, causing approximately $5,000 in damage, according to a 2015 complaint.
CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/13/us/ma...ues/index.html
Old 13th April 2019, 06:42 AM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Here is a large interior photograph to give a sense of height. The uppermost floor is designated as Level 4.

https://media1.s-nbcnews.com/i/newsc...083d3d693d.jpg
Old 13th April 2019, 10:26 AM   #12
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Man accused of throwing a child at the Mall of America had been banned from the site in the past

This begs the question, why was this nut allowed to roam free in the first place?
Old 13th April 2019, 10:44 AM   #13
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
This begs the question, why was this nut allowed to roam free in the first place?
Better asked of the ACLU.

If we could warehouse the whackos, we wouldn't have the homeless problems in our west coast cities.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 11:41 AM   #14
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

If we could warehouse the whackos, we wouldn't have the homeless problems in our west coast cities.
I tend to agree, but warehousing the dangerously mentally ill isn't free.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 11:45 AM   #15
sadhatter
Philosopher

God that is creepy. Like horror movie creepy that dropping things is his thing.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 08:53 PM   #16
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Isn't mental health covered by Obamacare? Oh, you mean somebody has to pay for Universal Health Care? Ok, lets start with mental health.
Old 14th April 2019, 02:06 AM   #17
Planigale
Illuminator

Almost certainly treating them would be cheaper than locking them up*. But this assumes a health care system that would deliver long term therapy and supervision to those with chronic mental illness.

*and more humane.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 02:24 AM   #18
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

Warehousing them OR treating them.

You've gone right to the crux of the problem. It wasn't the ACLU that put mentally ill people on the streets with little or no treatment alternatives.

It was GOP pols looking for budget cuts to fund their Welfare For The Wealthy programs.
Old 14th April 2019, 10:24 AM   #19
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/us/ma...own/index.html

A 3 year old boy is in the hospital with life threatening injuries after several witness report him being dropped or thrown over a 3 story railing.

A 24 year old man is in custody. The police have stated there is no clear motive and that child and man are not related and seemed to have no prior interactions.
The kid was five years old. Not that it matters one way or another but the kid was white and the perpetrator was black. Let's not call attention to that because doing so might perpetuate the wrong kind of racial divisiveness.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 11:18 AM   #20
shemp

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
The kid was five years old. Not that it matters one way or another but the kid was white and the perpetrator was black. Let's not call attention to that because doing so might perpetuate the wrong kind of racial divisiveness.
We don't need to, you've done a fine job of it yourself.

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 11:58 AM   #21
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Keep in mind that malls have unusually large distances between floors--I'm guessing 16-18 feet minimum, and maybe even 20 feet. He may have fallen from the equivalent of about the fifth story of an office building.
Plus the height of the guard barrier. On to what looks like a marble floor.

Definitely not something to be trivialized.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 12:12 PM   #22
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

If it doesn't matter, then why are you saying it?

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 12:23 PM   #23
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Would you rather throw a five year of off a third story balcony, or a fifteen year old off a one story balcony, or a 60 year down one step, or a used condom from the roof of the Empire State Building?
Old 14th April 2019, 03:15 PM   #24
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I think we need to do a better job of identifying dangerous mentally ill from the non-dangerous. That seems to be the crux IMO.

The family want's privacy and is not allowing a status update be given to the news. At least one report said they were doing CPR on the boy at the mall. A relative said he was alive and fighting.

Reading between those lines I can only think he is brain dead. I hope I'm wrong. This is so sad.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 14th April 2019 at 03:17 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 03:43 PM   #25
shemp

I just want to say that, having written "dangerously mentally ill" upthread, I don't want to stigmatize the mentally ill. Most mentally ill people aren't dangerous to themselves or anyone else. Those who are need to be better identified and dealt with before they harm anyone, including themselves.

Hell, I have my own mental health issues. Fortunately, my issues have never caused danger to anyone including myself, and with some assistance I've been able to deal with them.

Last edited by shemp; 14th April 2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 14th April 2019, 04:30 PM   #26
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
MOA is just minutes from my house and while I try to avoid it, I have been there more than a few times. The floor height at MOA is substantial. It's a huge drop from the 3rd floor, more akin to the 4th or maybe even 5th floor in an apartment block. I don't even like looking over the railing from there.
Old 14th April 2019, 09:45 PM   #27
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

If it had been a white adult male who did this to a 5 year old black boy, racial animus would be assumed on its face and so I think that it should be assumed here as well.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 04:30 AM   #28
Loss Leader

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
If it had been a white adult male who did this to a 5 year old black boy, racial animus would be assumed on its face and so I think that it should be assumed here as well.

Um, why? There's no evidence of a racial motivation. Why should we believe an unevidenced assertion?

Maybe it's true that a white adult and a black child would be seen immediately as a race crime. That doesn't mean the such an assumption is correct. It's wrong until evidence shows otherwise.

You're saying: Since some people might make an illogical assumption in one case, we're required to always make illogical assumptions in all cases.

And that's just illogical.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 07:45 AM   #29
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

There are some weird right-wing talking points being injected into this thread.
I Am The Scum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 07:47 AM   #30
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Raises the question.*

Who would have detained this man? On what grounds? For how long?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 07:50 AM   #31
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Almost certainly treating them would be cheaper than locking them up*. But this assumes a health care system that would deliver long term therapy and supervision to those with chronic mental illness.

*and more humane.
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Warehousing them OR treating them.

You've gone right to the crux of the problem. It wasn't the ACLU that put mentally ill people on the streets with little or no treatment alternatives.

It was GOP pols looking for budget cuts to fund their Welfare For The Wealthy programs.
Both really. Its near impossible to get the mentally ill treated if they don't want it, and they often don't.

There were to things that lead to the US effectively abandoning the mentally ill. A long series of abuses in mental health facilities and a lack of desire to pay for treatment.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:15 AM   #32
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
There are some weird right-wing talking points being injected into this thread.
If the capital gains tax were eliminated everyone would be wealthier and shop at expensive boutiques instead of malls so this wouldn't have happened.
Old 15th April 2019, 08:16 AM   #33
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If the capital gains tax were eliminated everyone would be wealthier and shop at expensive boutiques instead of malls so this wouldn't have happened.
yep, there would be so much trickle-down that you would always fall into a pool of liquid.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:27 AM   #34
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

The man's deranged behavior is clearly the result of his mother attempting to abort him when he was seven years old.
I Am The Scum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 09:40 AM   #35
Belz...
Fiend God

Not that it matters one way or another but the kid was white and the perpetrator was black. Let's not call attention to that because doing so might perpetuate the wrong kind of racial divisiveness.
Sounds to me like it matters to you.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 04:37 PM   #36
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Daily Mail reports that he told police that he went to the mall with the intention of killing someone as revenge for years of going there and being rejected by women. He killed because he never got anywhere when trying to pick up women.

His uncle says he has had serious mental illness since childhood.
Old 15th April 2019, 04:42 PM   #37
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Daily Mail reports that he told police that he went to the mall with the intention of killing someone as revenge for years of going there and being rejected by women. He killed because he never got anywhere when trying to pick up women.

His uncle says he has had serious mental illness since childhood.
Has the child died?
Old 15th April 2019, 04:50 PM   #38
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Has the child died?
No. He is in intensive care with head trauma and broken bones.
Old 15th April 2019, 06:22 PM   #39
Loss Leader

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Both really. Its near impossible to get the mentally ill treated if they don't want it, and they often don't.

I reccomend No One Cares About Crazy People for a very readable explanation of the failures of our system to adequately address mental health, as well as for the heartbreaking story of the author's loss of his son to schizophrenia.

Build! The! Wall!

L. Leader
Old 16th April 2019, 06:03 AM   #40
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I reccomend No One Cares About Crazy People for a very readable explanation of the failures of our system to adequately address mental health, as well as for the heartbreaking story of the author's loss of his son to schizophrenia.

Build! The! Wall!
And throw the poor off of it!
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events