ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th February 2019, 08:34 AM   #1
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

The Sackler Lawsuit

Purdue Pharma and its owners, the Sackler family, are blamed for playing the major part in creating the US opiod epidemic.

Quote:
While the company settled lawsuits in 2009 totaling $2.7 million brought by family members of those who had been harmed by OxyContin throughout the country, the company amped up its marketing of the drug to physicians by spending $121.6 million on sales reps for the coming year. The Sacklers paid themselves $335 million that year.
Quote:
The attorney general's complaint says that in a ploy to distance themselves from the emerging statistics and studies that showed OxyContin's addictive characteristics, the Sacklers approved public marketing plans that labeled people hurt by opioids as "junkies" and "criminals."
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...=1550503071364

So what do people here think? Will they have to pay up? What's the role of illegal or unethical business practices in the opiod epidemic?
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'm assuming it's not available over the counter? If so, and as long as it was approved correctly surely it is the prescribers that have any liability not the manufacturer?
Old 18th February 2019, 09:51 AM   #3
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm assuming it's not available over the counter? If so, and as long as it was approved correctly surely it is the prescribers that have any liability not the manufacturer?
yes. it's scrip only. I see a moral responsibility but not a legal one. there are plenty of people who do not abuse the drug.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 09:55 AM   #4
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

According to the article, the company lied about the addictive properties of OxyContin publically, while at the same time circulating internal documents about how the addictive properties would improve their sales. Add to that any high-pressure marketing techniques their sales reps may have used to persuade doctors to prescribe, and the manufacturer is starting to look extremely liable - though the prescribers may well have failed in a duty of care too.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 10:02 AM   #5
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
According to the article, the company lied about the addictive properties of OxyContin publically, while at the same time circulating internal documents about how the addictive properties would improve their sales. Add to that any high-pressure marketing techniques their sales reps may have used to persuade doctors to prescribe, and the manufacturer is starting to look extremely liable - though the prescribers may well have failed in a duty of care too.

Dave
Drug companies are very cozy with doctors in the US. Doctors get wined and dined by drug reps all the time. Even the 100% legal stuff should make anyone nervous.

My mother worked for a number of years as a medical transcriptionist for a walk-in urgent care facility when I was a kid. Multiple times a week drug reps would come in and cater lunch for the dozen or so staff and try to butter up the doctors there. All sorts of little favors rained down on our impartial doctors who totally weren't influenced at all when it came time to write prescriptions.

I'd call it acceptable because I ate a lot of meals from the leftover catering. Moe's Southwest Grill was my favorite.

I have no trouble at all believing that all kinds of shady stuff happened.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 18th February 2019 at 10:09 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 12:25 PM   #6
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

That still leaves the question of why opioid consumption is so much higher in the US and what's driving the increase in drug deaths.
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 02:08 PM   #7
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Drug companies are very cozy with doctors in the US. Doctors get wined and dined by drug reps all the time. Even the 100% legal stuff should make anyone nervous.

My mother worked for a number of years as a medical transcriptionist for a walk-in urgent care facility when I was a kid. Multiple times a week drug reps would come in and cater lunch for the dozen or so staff and try to butter up the doctors there. All sorts of little favors rained down on our impartial doctors who totally weren't influenced at all when it came time to write prescriptions.

I'd call it acceptable because I ate a lot of meals from the leftover catering. Moe's Southwest Grill was my favorite.

I have no trouble at all believing that all kinds of shady stuff happened.
That all changed many years ago, although I believe it still goes on to a much lesser (and more hidden) degree. No such thing as a pharmaceutical lunch anymore. They really cracked down on it.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:41 PM   #8
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Just for the record:
November 15, 2018

Purdue University statement re: Purdue Pharma

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Purdue University is not and has never been affiliated in any way with Purdue Pharma. The pharmaceutical company was founded in Manhattan in 1892 by John Purdue Gray and George Frederick Bingham as the Purdue Frederick Company. Purdue University was founded in 1869 as Indianaís land-grant institution, named for benefactor John Purdue.

Note to Journalists: Purdue University requests that you use this paragraph in any articles on Purdue Pharma.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:10 PM   #9
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
That all changed many years ago, although I believe it still goes on to a much lesser (and more hidden) degree. No such thing as a pharmaceutical lunch anymore. They really cracked down on it.
It does continue however at least at some level and has morphed into various forms. Here is a website provided by a ISF member in another thread (sorry, I forgot who) that permits you to examine some of the outside payments/honoraria/etc. that your own doctors may have received from pharmaceutical companies, etc:
https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov

Being on this list doesn't necessarily mean that the doctor has sold their soul. My own doctor has more than once recommended other therapies/drugs for me specifically instead of a drug marketed for my condition by a company from which he has received payment.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:24 AM   #10
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

John Oliver has done a Last Week Tonight episode on the topic.
Old 15th April 2019, 08:34 AM   #11
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post

It used to be that Pharm reps would take doctors to sporting events, fancy dinners, concerts, etc for doctors and their families. Thatís what they cracked down on. They still cater lunch. We get lunch for all 25 of our employees almost every day from a different rep. The reps either bring a speaker or spend time educating the docs. They still put on dinners, but itís only for the docs and mid levels and itís an ďeducationalĒ seminar.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:54 AM   #12
dann
Philosopher

It's a little more complicated than that. I can recommend the Last Week Tonight video that GnaGnaMan links to above.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:01 AM   #13
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
It's a little more complicated than that. I can recommend the Last Week Tonight video that GnaGnaMan links to above.
Yeah, it was NOT approved correctly, and Sackler was bragging about how it was approved in months instead of the normal years.

These are worth watching, too:
https://www.sacklergallery.com/
Old 18th April 2019, 04:40 PM   #14
MSBAYOU
New Blood

Corporations in the USA that behave ethically are an exception anymore. Since the US Supreme Court ruled that essentially corps ARE human in Citizen United, things have gotten murkier than ever.
So I feel confident that the Sackler family did minimize the profound addiction potential of Oxys. And a huge penalty or percentage of profits seems acceptable. Unfortunately, the way the penalty is spent is riddled with corruption, favoritism etc (BP Funds after the Gulf spill in 2010 comes to mind).

BUT, the opioid crisis hysteria has given all sorts of groups an avenue to prosper: class action suit law firms, rehabs, hospitals, some pharmaceutical companies, media and lastly, politicians....lots of mileage on he "Opioid Crisis".

Dr Josh Bloom of ACSH wrote an article some time ago called "6 Charts About the Opioid Crisis Meant To Deceive You". And many more that show that the harsh forced cold turkey of 100s of thousands of pain patients was not evidence-based. A group called PROP made recos to CDC. CDC took their word for it.

The crisis is about heroin and fentanyl. And has been for nearly a decade. Chronic pain patients have less than a 6% chance of becoming addicted (as opposed to "dependent".
Federal agencies are on a witch hunt.....yes, I am keenly aware of pill mills, patients selling pills and people getting legit RXs then shifting to heroin. But out of the oft-quoted 72,000 ODs, about 5000 were CP patients dying from the opioids alone.

I would be glad to post links to back my statements up when I am able.
MSBAYOU is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors